Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I've been listening to a lot of Metsatoll lately. They use their folky instruments in a more coherent way than, say, Korpiklaani, and their singer has one of the coolest (and deepest) voices I've ever heard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_d_ajcuuE0

Do you guys have any recommendations for other folk metal bands with deeper voices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Hell, I got my money's worth. There was some drunk guy behind me during Ensiferum's set going "YEAH, FINLAND, WOOOO" the whole time. :v:

Went to Paganfest a few days ago (holy poo poo Heidevolk is awesome live thank you thread for introducing me to them) and there was a literal human pyramid in the back of the pit waving a Finnish flag for part of Ensiferum's set. Kept kicking me in the head. Don't know how they managed to stay upright. Oh, folk metal shows.

I also met Gunnar from Tyr. That dude is :3: personified.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Týr lost their drummer, which is kind of a pain given they're supposed to have an album out in 2ish weeks.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I take the same approach to Alestorm as I do to Korpiklaani: listening to them on their own is a bad idea, but sometimes you just have to get drunk, put on a pirate hat/pair of antlers and go bouncing around in a pit with other people in stupid headgear until you break something. Bowes puts on a drat fun show. Super stoked to see Trollfest again.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Just got back from Eistnaflug. Everyone needs to stop what they're doing right now and find a way to get to a Skálmöld show.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Finntroll announced a North American tour with Metsatoll and Blackguard. I've heard that Metsatoll are loving amazing live, so I'm looking forward to this.

quote:

11/4/2013 West Springfield VA US Empire
11/5/2013 New York City NY US Stage 48
11/6/2013 Montreal QC CA Club Soda
11/7/2013 Quebec City QC CA Imperial de Quebec
11/8/2013 Ottawa ON CA Mavericks
11/9/2013 Worcester MA US The Palladium
11/10/2013 Pittsburgh PA US Altar Bar
11/11/2013 Cleveland OH US Peabody's
11/12/2013 London ON CA Rum Runners
11/13/2013 Joliet IL US Mojoes
11/14/2013 Saint Paul MN US Station 4
11/15/2013 Winnipeg MB CA The Zoo
11/16/2013 Regina SK CA The Exchange
11/17/2013 Calgary AL CA The Republik
11/18/2013 Edmonton AL CA Pawn Shop
11/20/2013 Vancouver BC CA Red Room
11/21/2013 Seattle WA US El Corazon
11/22/2013 Portland OR US Hawthorne Theatre
11/23/2013 San Francisco CA US Slim's
11/24/2013 Anaheim CA US The Grove
11/26/2013 Las Vegas NV US LVCS
11/27/2013 Tempe AZ US Rocky Point Cantina
11/29/2013 Salt Lake City UT US In the Venue
11/30/2013 Denver CO US Bluebird Theater
12/1/2013 Lawrence KS US Granada
12/2/2013 Dallas TX US Trees
12/3/2013 San Antonio TX US Backstage Live
12/4/2013 Houston TX US Scout Bar
12/6/2013 Tampa FL US Orpheum
12/7/2013 Atlanta GA US The Masquerade
12/8/2013 Louisville KY US Diamand Pub and Billiards
12/9/2013 Baltimore MD US Soundstage

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I like that Monster Magnet song. Was not expecting that.

I was expecting to like the new Týr song but it's like Heri condensed everything I hated about the Lay of Thrym and jammed it into four minutes. :(

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Turisas2013 leaked. It's absolutely goddamn ridiculous. I like it, but I have a very strong tolerance for cheese. Greek Fire is probably the best song on it.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Not specifically metal, but Canada just readjusted regulations governing touring artists. It's going to cost a lot more for a small band to tour there, which will probably mean that your favorite foreign metal band won't be going to Canada ever again, unless they're, like, Slayer. Which sucks.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Vintersorg posted:

Currently a petition to stop it, 70,000 signatures.

I hope this is stopped - because all the small bands that used to come here from anywhere are going to loving stop.

https://www.change.org/en-CA/petiti...e-150-fee#share

How much is it in the US?

Pretty sure it's $450 plus $20-$50 for every band member and you have to apply through Homeland Security at least three months in advance. You can expedite the application for $1200-$1500. However, as far as I know the application fee is a one-time-per-tour thing.

edit:

Misogynist posted:

Any band playing concert venues and not pubs/restaurants is exempt, which is weird. Eluveitie's probably fine.

I know a bunch of the small venues around me are classified as "bars" because they have liquor licenses, and I'm sure that's true of small venues across the country. This is going to be a problem.

edrith fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 29, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Olibu posted:

I'm really excited for Tyr's new album which came out today I believe. Definitely one of my favorite bands.

It's streaming here.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gorilla Radio posted:

So is Mare of My Niight Heri's admission of/apology for his rumored affair?

I thought it was about having sex with a horse. Did he have an affair with a horse?

The duet is terrible but the rest of the album is pretty solid. Not my favorite, but good enough. T-Bozz Factor, I'm buying your album the second I get paid.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Houseplant posted:

Turisas - Ten More Miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhgsqSBHA6M

I don't even know anymore with this band. The video itself is definitely interesting, but the music is just ridiculous.

This is hilarious and amazing and so is the rest of Turisas2013. :colbert: I'm pretty sure Turisas have stopped giving a gently caress about conforming to genre and are making comedy music to score their pub crawls. Which I am cool with, as long as they keep playing Sahti Waari at live shows.

edit: here's a pretty long interview with Mathias about the album.

On another note, I cannot stop listening to Falls of Rauros. I'm so sad my record player is busted, I really wanted one of their vinyls.

edrith fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 7, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

Speaking of things that kick tons of rear end, I want to know if there is a better power metal album than Lost Horizon's second album (their first album is also great). Only thing that comes close to it in the genre that I've heard was Temple of Shadows by Angra.

Beyond the Space, Beyond the Time by Pathfinder. Arkadiusz Ruth has the best voice ever.

e: If anyone cares, Crazy Uncle Varg has been charged with inciting racial hatred and glorifying war crimes.

edrith fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 18, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Zodijackylite posted:

This is literally the worst flower metal album ever, I'd call them pansies but the flowers are more consistent and pleasant.

I love it :colbert: Fifth Element is pretty good too. Sometimes you have to turn off your good taste and listen to an overdramatic Polish man wail at you about alchemy.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I saw Finntroll last night with Metsatoll and Blackguard. Metsatoll are seriously one of the best bands I've seen live so far and Lauri Ounapuu is a god. They're playing a lot of their older stuff and they end the set with an incredibly creepy rendition of Metsaviha 2. I was pretty surprised by Blackguard, I think their music is awful but they have really great stage presence.

Finntroll were great, played a lot of stuff off the new album, lots of fun, but their show was kind of a mess. The sound had been fine for Metsatoll and Blackguard, but the way they had it for Finntroll completely overpowered Vreth's voice. They don't have Skrymer with them because of a legal issue (not sure if that means visas or if he killed a dude or what but I'm pretty sure he won't be on the tour at all.) His replacement (didn't get his name) looks about fifteen but held up his end pretty well. Halfway through one of their amps stopped working and Vreth decided to deal with the pause in the show by dancing, which was greatly appreciated by the hordes of teenage girls in the crowd. Still a pretty rad show, I just wish I'd been able to see them on full throttle.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
GWAR covered Billy Ocean. The second half is particularly delightful.

Xandoom posted:

So I'm a huge Amon Amarth fan and noticed they were playing in my city in February. Would this be an event that would be suitable/safe to bring my 15 year old kid brother along?

Oh, definitely. Pits can be avoided and usually even the most frenzied idiots will dial it down if there's a kid standing nearby. He'll be fine. I'd be a little more leery if you had a kid sister because older guys at metal shows can be incredibly awful around teenage girls.

edrith fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 13, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Xandoom posted:

Does anyone know the song name at the very beginning of Until the Light Take Us? It's not a metal song but I figured this would be the best place to ask. The one literally that starts within the first minute.

EDIT: Found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-FAk3Z-kg

múm is probably the best weird electronica-y Icelandic band.

The best Icelandic metal band is Skálmöld. Here's a song about punching the Midgard Serpent in the face, with the Midgard Serpent on clean vocals.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Helvetios by Eluveitie, Baldur by Skálmöld, seconding any and all Bal-Sagoth suggestions.

e: Batavi by Heidevolk. Moonsorrow's last album kind of had a story. Týr's latest is terrible in many ways but it has a story, and The Lay of Thrym is apparently a concept album about the Arab Spring.

edrith fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 22, 2013

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have anything to say about Finntroll live? Thinking about seeing them tomorrow.

Go. They are great fun, even when their amps stop working. Also, thirding the Metsatoll appreciation. You have not lived until you've seen a guy playing two flutes at the same time while headbanging.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Von Sloneker posted:

Maybe I just have them on the brain lately, but I wonder if this could mean Svartidaudi.

Svartidaudi are Icelandic, right? Solstafir are Icelandic and have been at MDF a couple times. Probably not them.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Nordick posted:

I just watched the new Nightwish live DVD, Showtime, Storytime.

Really liked it. The band obviously enjoyed themselves a lot, and made even some songs I don't normally care overmuch about work really well. And if there still was any doubt, this show finally cements the fact that Floor Jansen is absolutely perfect for the band. She's such a charismatic performer and a fantastic singer, a better frontwoman than Tarja and Anette combined could ever be. She really is loving stellar.
I'm really glad they found her, too, since Nightwish have always been an important band to me and it's nice to see them get a booster shot like her. Now if they only started doing more older songs live again. I want to hear Floor sing Sacrament of Wilderness.

My thoughts exactly. Tarja had that kind of disconnected ice queen stage persona, Anette always looked kind of terrified, but Floor always looks like she's having a blast. She headbangs. All the time. Tarja would never do that. And the power behind her voice, my god. I kind of want a new studio single of Ghost Love Score. And, speaking of Tuomas Holopainen, he's releasing a solo album about Scrooge McDuck for some unfathomable reason.

My sister dragged me to an Alestorm show the other day. Gypsyhawk probably would have been better if the lead wasn't very obviously drunk off his rear end, but they were fun. Trollfest are beautiful human beings and Alestorm are an instant cure for depression. Highlights were the Britney Spears cover and the weird dog song from Trollfest and Alestorm's Rugrats theme song cover.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Skálmöld did a thing with the Icelandic Symphony. It's pretty awesome.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Xandoom posted:

Hello all I need some reccomendations. What are some epic, fantasy based metal bands? Something that makes me say "I WANT TO SLAY SOME DRAGONS!". On a huge Amon Amarth kick and looking for similar stuff. Thanks!

Well if you're actually going for melodeath, Vinterblot is pretty acceptable.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Optimum Gulps posted:

The best :airquote:unknown:airquote: album of 2013 is the collaboration between St. Louis bands The Lion's Daughter (black/sludge metal) and Indian Blanket (folk) entitled A Black Sea.
Here's a track from it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzSeiGa0vec

Parts of that kind of remind me of Hamferđ.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Paganfest America roster announced, no dates yet.

Pretty excited for Chthonic. Turisas lost their keyboardist a few days ago. Kasper Martenson from Barren Earth is covering for them on their European tour.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Iceberg-Slim posted:

I'm totally the opposite, I can never see enough Korpiklaani.

I barely listen to Korpiklaani anymore but they put on such a good show that, any time I see they're within a two-hour radius, I have to go because I know I'll be smiling for the rest of the week.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

Korpiklaani is fun but yeah, I'd love to see Primordial or Tyr on there. I guess Eluviete is too big now? (in stature or in number of band members? :v:)

Or Skyclad but that'll never happen.

Tyr are doing a US tour with Children of Bodom pretty soon (I think starting in February?) and I think Eluveitie are starting work on their next album, so there's probably scheduling/oversaturation conflicts there.

Speaking of, goddamnit, why are Tyr going on tour with a really popular band? I'm used to paying $20 or less for club shows. Tickets for their show nearest me are, like, mid-fifties, excluding fees. :sigh:

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Houseplant posted:

Elu is shedding band members left and right so we'll have to see what they actually end up doing

Aw poo poo, really? I thought it was just their violinist who's left recently, and that they had a replacement lined up.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
So Týr released a music video for Lay of Our Love.

I don't know what the gently caress they were thinking.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
If any of you are into metal with ten thousand extra folk instruments, Metsatöll have a new (nsfw) video out. It's, uh, somethin'.

They had the whole album streaming on soundcloud a few days ago but I lost the link to the full playlist. This track is pretty cool.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Hammer Floyd posted:

And a quote from their wiki:

Of course they do. That's why everybody does it right?

I'm not familiar with Estonian folk music and I might just be a whore for bagpipes, but it seems to me Metsatöll are a lot more creative with their approach than most folk metal bands. They don't fall into the trap of repetitiveness or covers that are nothing but folk song but with guitar, which even the better folky bands do a great deal. I like Týr a hell of a lot, but you can't tell me that this is an especially ingenious reworking of this.

edrith fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Mar 16, 2014

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

IRQ posted:

The best part is when they swap from the whole medieval(?) something or other killing naked ladies theme and show a shed with a plastic rake hanging on it.

WE WILL MURDER THIS GIRL WITH A TRIDENT, THEN TIDY UP YOUR LAAWWWWWWNNNNN

This is the worst landscaping crew I've ever seen.

edrith fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 16, 2014

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
gently caress :( 50 is way too young.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Gorilla Radio posted:

I just bought my ticket for Paganfest 2014! I know Varg are considered to be poo poo, but how are Chthonic live? I've seen Turisas and Korpiklaani.

Anecdote tells me that they are god-damned amazing. So that's 3/5 good bands, which is not a bad ratio for Paganfest (Winterhymn loving suck).

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I saw Solstafir three times this past week. Once in an abandoned warehouse, once when they decided to say gently caress it and play an extra half an hour longer than their setlist allowed. I was kind of meh on them before but drat, they're really, really loving good. Give them all of your money.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

I can't stand Sólstafir when I listen to their albums, but they're loving captivating live. I can't really put my finger on what makes them so great live.

Cowboy hats.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Oh gently caress yes Rotting Christ in North America next month

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
Sólstafir's new album is streaming. It's good. It's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
They also teach you about the overlap between PTSD and spaghetti westerns and they have the distinction of being the only band to make an English version album that doesn't gargle balls. They're touring NA with Amon Amarth in a few weeks. I will be severely disappointed if they don't do a joint performance of Twilight of the Thunder God.

They're also swell dudes. I told their singer that I loved their set and he immediately gave me a bear hug and thanked me for coming :swoon: