Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New Twilight Force should be mandatory listening for producers as a lesson on how overproduction and bad mixing can take an album from classic status down to just really good.

How did they gently caress up so bad after the mix on the debut was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

MikeCrotch posted:

Worse than Enemies of Reality?

Haven't heard it so I dunno my dude.

It's so irritating because this album is ridiculously good, just whoever mixed it decided that the vocalist in a power metal band should be shoved all the way to the back, the synth should overpower the rhythm guitar and the orchestral bits should be blaring at max volume no matter what else is going on in the song.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

comes along bort posted:

i dunno that sounds kinda neat

I've seen plenty of people that love it the way it is, I just think it could be better.

Probably PMAOTY though

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I wish I could listen to more extreme metal around my girlfriend.

She won't really tolerate anything beyond power metal

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

symbolic posted:

My best friend invited me to come with him to Progpower USA next year. Problem is, I know no songs/albums from any of the announced bands, save for Metal Church and Angel Dust. Any recs from any of these bands would be fantastic. I already know I need to listen to Haken's Visions because my friend will not stop talking about how great it is.

Twilight Force is fun cheesy PM. Their debut is full of fun singalong choruses, so I'd probably listen to that and see if it's your style. They are probably touring in support of their new album though, which to me was a bit of a letdown.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ulio posted:

Ghost is so good nice to hear they are as good live. Even though their style is changed a bit in their EP.

Has anyone listened to the new In Flames?

It's loving terrible.

Atoma blows it out of the water, even At War with Reality destroys it and that album's mediocre as hell.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Yeah t/t was pretty okay and there was one other song I genuinely enjoyed but I don't remember which one it was. I disagree with it being better than A Sense of Purpose, it's for sure better than Siren Charms.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Ride Majestic is good as gently caress, too.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Who's the other son, Ulcerate?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I don't mean to drag up an argument literally older than I am, but when you put together Metallica's best run of 4 albums straight, you seriously leave off Kill 'Em All in favor of the s/t?

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Gotta give 'em credit for trolling the poo poo out of black metal idiots with their latest video.

I'm not sure if a music video directed by a member of Bathory paying tribute to Dead and Euronymous is trolling. The song sucked, though.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm still not entirely convinced that it's even better than Death Magnetic

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

That art is pretty great, I'll check out your stuff later

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXGB551pTeM
Pretty great release, I've never heard of these guys but apparently they put out a demo or two in the mid-90's then broke up. They have reformed and put together this LP of old stuff and new material, very good actual OSDM instead of just a throwback/worship band

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

2016 stuff that ruled:
Saor - Guardians
Deathspell Omega - The Synarchy of Molten Bones
Dark Tranquility - Atoma
Wedrujacy Wiatr - O Turniach, Jeziorach I Nocnych Szlakach
Serpentine Dominion s/t (Corpsegrinder with members/ex-members of Black Dahlia and Killswitch)
Alcest - Kodama
Barrow Wight - Kings In Saurons Service
Gespenst - Forfald
Astrophobos - Enthroned in Flesh
Coldworld - Autumn
Be'lakor - Vessels
Moonsorrow - Jumalten Aika
Avantasia - Ghostlights
Lycus - Chasms

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Oldstench posted:

It's actually finally happened. Infester's amazing To the Depths, in Degradation has finally been re-released. Martyrdoom has it now for all you non-Trumpenvolk. Usual US distros will probably stock.

http://martyrdoom.bigcartel.com/product/infester-usa-to-the-depths-in-degradation-lp
http://martyrdoom.bigcartel.com/product/infester-usa-to-the-depths-in-degradation-cd

Neat, I'll pick that up.

In other re-issue news, Ensiferum's first 2 albums should be getting re-released sometime this month.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

quote:

Amon Amarth is GI Joe core.
Alright, that line is brilliant.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

So are marduk really nazis or what

"Are you guys a nazi band?"

"No, we just hate religion" -Mardukman

Sabaton's Ghost Division speaks pretty highly of the 7th Panzer Division, and as far as I know they aren't accused of being Nazis. I mean sure they have anti Nazi songs too, but if we are basing a bands ideology on choice lyrics then Sabaton are totally for a thousand year Reich.

Groke posted:

Funny thing with Burzum is there isn't even any overt politically questionable stuff in the lyrics, you'd never even know the dude was a Nazi if he'd stuck to just making music and never doing any interviews or criminal acts or anything.

(Or at least this was true up until the point where I stopped paying attention to new Burzum releases, I don't know what the guy has been up to after the first post-prison album.)

His newest album is bordered by swastikas and Varg was like "oooh wooow I guess those ARE swastikas! I didn't mean for them to be~"

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Ye, Fen's is probably my AOTYSF. That or The Great Old Ones.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Weaponized Cum posted:

glad we have an acronym for that term now

yw

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New Disma EP released
https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/the-graveless-remains

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

From review aggregate sites and user ratings it seems they got better for a while after Ultra Beatdown, but gently caress me if I'll ever find out for myself.
First 2 albums rule hard though.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Vulture Culture posted:

new Ulver album owns

https://ulver.bandcamp.com/album/the-assassination-of-julius-caesar

barely metal-adjacent, as though anyone doesn't know that

Ulver has now made fantastic metal, electronic, movie soundtracks and pop. They can't be stopped.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I think they took the Graveland approach.
Which is nice because they are on the same label and have released a split

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Without revisiting anything yet, going through my 2017 ratings on Sputnik my 4.5s (no 5s this year) have been:
The Great Old Ones - EOD: A Tale of Dark Legacy
Fen - Winter
Aether Realm - Tarot
Der Weg Einer Freiheit - Finisterre
Akercocke - Renaissance in Extremis

Best EP was probably Thantifaxath

Worst metal-ish LP goes to Suicide Silence - Suicide Silence or Ensiferum - Two Paths
Worst metal EP goes to In Flames' cover EP

I have quite a few 4s that I should re-listen to and see if any might actually be AOTY in hiding. Thank you for reading my blog post.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

turn left, thread, nooooooooooooo

Hey all he did was ask a harmless question!

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

joylessdivision posted:

I'm not trying to start poo poo, it's just they've had an odd career and their new stuff is so vastly different it's weird.

Jesper was writing a lot if not most of the material in their golden days, other members started giving more creative input and they were garnering more success with a more mainstream sound. Jesper forgot how to write good music and ended up out of the band after contributing to some less-than-stellar albums. You can't really pinpoint their downfall solely on him, but when he gave up creative control the quality started to slip around Reroute when all the songs were written as a group by Anders, Jesper and Bjorn rather than entirely Jesper or Jesper and 1 other person.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

New ATG track sounds like a missing link between SOTS and War with Reality. The main riff sounds like they listened to Blinded By Fear and just decided to do that riff again but a bit different, so I can dig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhru7gT0cIE

Speaking of SOTS, there is a blackened hardcore band called Suicide Nation and they own pretty hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRWpXCZAVIw

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Just bought my tix for the end of life Slayer(Anthrax/Testament/lamb/Behemoth) show in Chicago. Any ideas on what the setlist is supposed to be like? Being their final tour I have no idea what eras will get representation

I'm going as well, I'm assuming it'll be a greatest hits. I'm excited about pretty much every band in the lineup, not a Lamb of God fan but I've heard they are great live.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Can't sleep on Subterranean, the best In Flames release

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Is it only bi-annually around here? Much better than most metal communities.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Like a lot of genres, most of melodeath's gems are decades old at this point. Going through my melodeath ratings I'm only seeing one album in the last 2-3 years that I would consider an amazing release for the genre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcA6PloeFCE Basically American s/t era Wintersun

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Hypocrisy definitely does own

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The newest TBDM didn't click with me at all. I felt like something was wrong with me and I was missing something, everyone was telling me it's their best since Nocturnal or even their best overall and I thought it was at most as good as Miasma, their least favorite of mine. Maybe I need to spin it again months later with fresh ears

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

BurningBeard posted:

Am I the only one that feels the Decapitated statement is kinda hosed up?

Doesn't it seen just a leetle inappropriate to spout off about knee jerk Internet people, thanking your lawyers, and very publicly counter punching after something like that?

I mean sure, reactionary blog posts and shrill sensationalism is definitely a thing no matter which side of the issue you fall on, but poo poo, it's never been denied that she was actually on the bus, right?

That response left a real bad taste in my mouth and I'm just spit balling here, but I think they have real good lawyers, and probably dodged a huge legal bullet.

I'm pretty sure the band admitted the girl was on the bus and slept with at least 2 members of the band. The problem seemed to be unfortunately the alleged victim had a very bad past with law enforcement that made her pretty unreliable.

Edit: Content
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-Blbgys1vE
As far as I can tell Nordvrede aren't NS but on individual track videos from this album there's plenty of nazis pretending they are just because the album cover is an old painting of a white dude, which is pretty funny.

Nazzadan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Mar 24, 2018

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

il_cornuto posted:

Yeah I'm actually pretty sure Watain aren't Nazi's, but despite claiming not to be political they ended up picking a side with their statement and it's the one that sees calling out Nazi's as a bad thing.

This is a running trend, same with Hoest. Taake is most definitely not NS, but every statement he gives about it is so dumb and inflammatory towards the other side like Watain's. Also Watain sucks, Walmart-rear end McDonalds BM

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I have a few school metal stories, but the first to come to mind I was in my art class with the same teacher I had probably 6 times throughout highschool in various art classes, and I brought in a little pocket speaker and he let me play music. I was playing The Work Which Transforms God at a medium volume, could only really be heard by my immediate table and maybe the nearest one as well as the teacher. Someone at another table complained that my music was too loud and abrasive, and my teacher told them it's important to acknowledge other people have different taste, and that if they actually listened to it they could realize something about them self. After class the teacher asked me who the band was, and I gave him a bunch of atmoblack recs :kimchi:
Next school year I start as the site tech for my old HS, he's still there so I'll be seeing him often.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Dyna Soar posted:

A guy in my class got detention for wearing a gently caress me jesus shirt by cradle of filth i think to school

We also had a priest come and tell us about the dangers of black metal

The Marduk one where she's loving herself with a crucifix? If so lmao that kid owns

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm 25 so I wasn't old enough during the second wave to know any music beyond the Power Rangers intro, so I asked my mom yesterday if she remembers all the news reports about the church burnings and the couple deaths. She said "Oh yeah, it was on the news every night with a new Church and they arrested that guy for murder, Barb or whatever." So close to having the right name, but she's still cool for approximately remembering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Going to send that to her, thanks. I'll have to explain the context of the album cover but she should get a kick out of it