Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hearing good things about the new Metallica album is absolutely heartwarming. I hope I like it :3:

it sounds like james hetfield fronting an avenged sevenfold cover band

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there's this guy on youtube who does demos of guitar amps

he's a paunchy middle aged dude who got started playing late in life, and obviously has some money as he films his videos in what looks like a broom closet filled with easily 100 grand worth of equipment

despite having made these videos on a regular bassis for nearly a decade, neither his musical ability, videography skill, nor his filming location have improved

ironically, he refers to himself as "the tone king" despite every thing he plays sounding like a 13 year old at guitar center

if he was kidnapped by the islamic state and forced to make an album in the style of metallica with his extremely limited ability, it wouldn't sound much different than hardwired to self destruct

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
supposedly he's been taking lessons for a little while now

it doesn't show

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A human heart posted:

It's worth nothing

yep

kirk hammett wrote the enter sandman riff that made them gazillionaires and he's still a lovely guitarist slowly getting worse as his aging body fails him

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the idea of an artist or band peaking and never getting back there is stupid

case in point: sonny sharrock

the reason bands like metallica or whoever drop off a cliff is because they quit writing all the time once they don't have to do the constant album/tour cycle to make a living

it's a skill like anything else. if you don't keep working at it atrophy sets in

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Gotta give 'em credit for trolling the poo poo out of black metal idiots with their latest video.

And trolling the poo poo out of the music-listening public for over 25 years.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

Who wrote the drums for ...And Justice for All? I refuse to believe it was Lars. It doesn't sound like his playing on any other album.

http://www.soundonsound.com/people/metallica-one-classic-tracks

quote:

"'One' was played entirely to a click track, and it took us probably half a day to figure out the varying tempos,” Flemming Rasmussen now recalls. "The chorus was actually a lot quicker than the verses, so I had to manually punch in and out a Linn Drum click track on the 24‑track to make sure we got that tempo transition over the bridge, before it then fell back to the original tempo for the verses. Kirk and James played their guide parts together with the drums. Then we took the tempo from that and, once we had laid down the click track, Lars did a quick run‑through and the guitarists played their parts to that. From there, we started building the track, section by section.

"The whole thing with that specific song — as well as several of the other songs — was their desire for a technical perfection that would have been easy in these days of computer editing but which, back then, we had to achieve manually. Lars's playing had to be extremely tight, and we did 20‑ to 30‑second segments with me punching in and out over 18 drum tracks. When we got a good bit, we'd sit and listen to it a couple of times to make sure it was cool, and if, say, one hi‑hat hit was a little late, I'd chop out a tiny bit of tape with a razor to make it exactly right. That was a long and tiring process, and whereas it would now take about half a day to complete one of those drum tracks, back then it took us a minimum of three to four days. For each song I had a big envelope full of bits of two‑inch tape that I had chopped out, and I remember joking to Lars that they should hold a competition for the fans, enabling them to win lost bits from his drum tracks... He didn't find that at all amusing.

Snowy posted:

Has anyone written a thorough examination of all the ways Lars sucks at drumming? I have a work friend who thinks it's all unfair hate but I don't know enough about drumming to explain it.

the short answer is they're pretty much the only metal band where the guitar is the primary timekeeping instrument

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 17, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Laserface posted:

Murder One is a lovely track but its title and its repeating line "born to lose, live to win" makes it seem like it was a tribute to Lemmy.

murder one was the name of lemmy's main amp

there's a bunch of lame motorhead song title references in the song. sadly they left out the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-eUHWVx2WE

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Would you mind posting a link or two? I'd enjoy checking out what this is all about. Thanks.

look up perturbator, kavinsky, carpenter brut, mitch murder

a few of those guys like perturbator were in black metal bands and poo poo before doing electronic music

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

david crosby posted:

What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

oranssi pazuzu

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

The real question is which major thrash band is most in need of retiring? Slayer, Anthrax, Metallica. All are missing long time important members and they all sound like shadows of their former selves. Not sure which should go, they all make me sad.

unless you count neil turbin or dan lilker as long time important members anthrax still has their lineup from when anyone still gave a poo poo about them minus dan spitz

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
every band should follow a logan's run system

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrfhsxxmdE

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

this is like crom's hot sumerian nights but serious

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
in flames did that one song that sounds like the old nba on nbc theme

i think it was in one of the lesser tony hawk games

e: lol john tesh wrote that song

e2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKX-cf_p90

imagine this with heavier guitars tuned to b flat or whatever and bob costas highlighting the keys to the game being pippen and jordan converting off the break and shaq driving from the top of the key

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 24, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
he's been looking rough for a while now and he barely sings or plays half the time

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

Testament are loving awesome still. They headlined a show here right after the end of their EU support tour with Amarth and were totally stoked to be headlining. They kept going for like 90mins+

Also Hoglan and Digiorgio...gently caress

skolnick, hoglan, and digiorgio should start a jazz trio

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i mean there's also the whole slayer wehrmacht thing.

they commonly use the iron eagle.

that and

not saying slayer are nazis, but it's easy to see how people can get the misconception

also the s in their logo being really similar to the ss insignia and putting out shirts with the totenkopf on it

jeff hannemann was really into the aesthetics like lemmy, and after he died kerry started jocking the raider nation poo poo for similar reasons

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the new ghoul album was alright

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

symbolic posted:

I've yet to listen to more than Sun, Leviathan, and Crack the Skye, but I prefer Sun over Skye and even over Leviathan to an extent.

Heh, Sun over Sky...

this is the best mastodon album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V87Fg7UE5A

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

People don't talk enough about Call of the Mastodon. Slickleg, Deep Sea Creature and Battle at Sea are among the best songs they've done, and Brann was just insane on drums back then.

yeah that on was alright, which is why i posted that today is the day album brann and one of the guitarists were on because that's basically where they got all their ideas before getting boring

also surprisingly not terrible is the first lamb of god album before the name change. very similar vibe, which probably explains why steve austin produced it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I have no idea who any of these bands are. I've officially become too old for metal.

don't worry, it all sounds like the same stuff you've been listening to over and over for the past 20-30 years

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-morbid-angel-members-david-vincent-and-tim-yeung-reunite-in-i-am-morbid/

:sad:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Gorewar posted:

I do have to wonder though, how long has this business model been around in the metal scene?

payola has always been a part of music promotion and online/print media functioning as a glorified press release clearinghouse is just the next phase

why do you think metalsucks, decibel, metal injection, et al are owned by an advertising company?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MrBling posted:

Merry christmas everybody. Here's your present.

i once ran the numbers and approximately 14.7% of that song is a sick whammy bar dive bomb

that whole album is great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QeTtQhe6I

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

vulcano totally owns

semi-related but i forgot about these guys. kinda like old kreator but 15% more savage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttb-Pc_h4bY

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

david crosby posted:

I might get in trouble for saying this, but Chaos AD is good.

chaos ad rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH32zuHabF4

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently trey found some guy in a glorified morbid angel cover band nobody's ever heard of to join as the other guitarist, so i'm sure that dude will be stoked he's living his dream

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weird. I just happened to listen to the album on my way to work this morning and had this samr thought. They really hosed it up in all sorts of ways. Nick's snare is so goddamned loud in Five Magiks to name one.

the best part of the remaster botch job is the call and response part of five magics sounds like macho man randy savage

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

was there anything 'wrong' with the original version?

what was so bad about it that you'd want to go so far as rerecord parts to get it right?

nothing. remasters and re-releases were a common tactic in the 90s/early 2000s to gin up catalog album sales. or if you're ozzy's wife a way to get out of having to pay royalties

also he redid the md45 album with his own lovely vocals instead of lee ving's

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i'll admit i'm kinda disappointed in mike bordin and rob trujillo for agreeing to scab for sharon osbourne

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Weaponized Cum posted:

So it's not a boring piece of poo poo like everything after crack the sky? Cool

it's just the one song and yep pretty boring

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
my sole wish upon dying is for a cenotaph that plays the cenotaph riff

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

I liked the album but I hadn't listened to anything post-1990 so I was unprepared for all the melodic hooks and stuff

they've been making the same album since 2001 or so

if you like one you'll probably like the others

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
:laffo: at the new mastodon song

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it sounds like a queens of the stone age song but even more boring

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah that new Mastodon song is loving awful.

Here's some Mastodon that is much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gykA1H8sfpo

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Vulture Culture posted:

I thought people stopped making bullshit like this ten years ago and was sincerely sorta surprised when I clicked play

they're from australia so there ya go

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

stab posted:

Megadeth FINALLY won their first Grammy, after having gone 0-11 or 0-12 or some poo poo
gently caress yeah

:megadeath:

the susan lucci of grammies

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
apparently dallas left nile and was replaced by a dude from this band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac0Xz5zLT-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016