Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

TollTheHounds posted:

Accidentally posted this in the Black Metal thread instead of here, so here you go.

Apparently this album was released end of July digitally, but I only found out about it because I got a promo email from the label that is releasing the CD.

A Pale December is some loving fantastic atmospheric/post black metal. I'd say if you're a fan of Harakiri for the Sky, a slightly less medieval Obsequiae, maybe even a little Agalloch, ( and the more I listen, some Alcest ) this will be right up your alley. Lots of melody, airy ambient stringed instrument interludes and synths, a really beautiful, depressing, harsh kind of vibe. The production is fantastic too, the drums in particular sound amazing and I normally don't give a poo poo about drums really as long as they're there.

A lot of the songs have a real sense of building up and intensifying before dropping to a lull then picking back up again along with a variety of quick time-signature adjustments sprinkled throughout, it's a very satisfying listen.

https://apaledecember.bandcamp.com/

Favourite track - The Path of Stars: https://apaledecember.bandcamp.com/...e-path-of-stars

But honestly every song is its own treasure.

This is really good. I just bought it after listening to a couple of songs. Thanks for posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

My friend made me a CD of Skid Row songs, and I've had it playing in my car for a couple of days.

They are pretty good imo.

Help. I am getting sucked into 80's hair metal.

Where do I go from here?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for the recommendations! I can't believe I am listening to 80s hair metal in 2017. I basically skipped this entire genre because I hated it as a kid when it was popular.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

d0grent posted:

Could anyone recommend me some really heavy punk that sits on the border between hard punk and metal? Anything with a great drummer or some rhythmic complexity is a plus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpHs41Zrm4

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

silvergoose posted:

Okay whomever put Igorrr's newest into their album of the year list:

What the loving poo poo is this band. I'm confused by every single track.

...can't stop listening to it, either, so uh.

This post made me curious. I am a few tracks into this album, and it rules.

What the gently caress do you even call this genre of music

Kinda reminds me of Hail Spirit Noir but with the weirdness tuned up to 10.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Been a lot jokes with my friend going back and fourth about guillotines recently(see: the new tax bill), so I wondered if there was a metal band named "Guillotine" out there. Of course there is, Metal Archives has a bunch listed, but this one seems to be the most known of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9MPxuY4qYc

It's actually kinda good. Some good old fashioned thrash from Sweden.

In other news thanks to whoever brought up Igorrr the other day. I've listened to that weird rear end album like 10 times now. I dig it.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I saw White Zombie perform as the opener for Pantera in '93. And when I say "perform," I mean lipsynch.

counterpoint: I saw him on acid when I was like 15. Korn was there too, and it was awesome.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

What's the best Bolt Thrower album?

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Primus is pretty amazing live. I've seen them 3 times, and a couple Claypool bands live too. Amazing every time.

Mastodon have been mediocre at best every time I've seen them live.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I'm weird and usually burn an actual CD about once every month or so to just play in my car when I'm too lazy to mess around with my phone. I've had the new Immolation album in there for a couple of months. Great album FYI.

Decided it was time to change it up and burned "Those once Loyal" the other day, after asking here what Bolt Thrower album was the best. That one seemed to get mentioned the most.

So I am now here to report that Bolt Thrower rules and that album is awesome.

Thanks, metal thread.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Welp, just ponied up $163 each (lol) to go see Metallica with the wife in December (lol). I've seen them like 5 times by now and she's never seen em. Old as dirt, but still put on a good show, despite James' ever-dwindling voice.

They mostly play all the good old poo poo. Solid show. 163 is pretty expensive though. Hope they are close to the front.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I don't know what slam is. Please post examples kthx. It sounds like poo poo I would be into

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Like it's sort of terrible, but I keep listening to it. I don't know what's going on but It;s kinda heavy I guess

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcySh35ahsY

Spent half the day listening to old Megadeth.
It's still good, even if Dave is a weirdo now.

Rust in Peace is the best thrash album fyi

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dyna Soar posted:

I like this one. The greatest single scream in all of metal

https://youtu.be/yVsuFQnAHmo

Holy poo poo

How have I never heard these dudes before!?

edit: I have failed in life

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I saw Deep Purple , Blue Oyster Cult and Kenny Wayne Shepard for free like 8 years ago at a fairgrounds kinda thing put on by a radio station. Steve Morse is ridiculous and will shred your face off, it was a good show from what I remember. Not sure if I would drop 100 bucks on going to see them though. I'm not a huge Judas Priest fan though. I do like Deep Purple a lot.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A human heart posted:

This is an insane thing to say in the metal thread imo

I mean I like them. I have a bunch of their stuff on my phone even. But I wouldn't spend 100 bucks to go see them.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I feel like Kanye fans today feel like how I feel every time a band I like turns out to be nazis

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thin Lizzy rules.

That's controversial opinion

Edit I also can't spell

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

This rules

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Where is a good starting point for Cattle Decapitation? They have been on my list of bands to checkout for years

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A few months ago someone brought up the band Razor. I heard one song and put them on my list of bands to checkout...

Just stopping by to say they own and are all I've been listening to for like two weeks now.

Thanks metal thread.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm in Chicago and going to the Dying Fetus and Incantation show tonight at Bottom Lounge. I'm very much looking forward to it because it's my first show in 1.5 years. Plus DF always puts in an entertaining set.

I saw them last night in Grand Rapids, MI. It ruled. You're gonna have fun

Gatecreeper was loving awesome too.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm 35 and my entire body hurts from seeing Dying Fetus on Saturday.

:(

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I really like Those Once loyal and the IVth Crusade the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeCL9dUclUs

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dead Goon posted:

I've sorta casually listened to both bands but not really got into them. What albums should I be listening too?

Gorguts is probably my favorite band. Besides the two albums already mentioned:

Colored Sands is loving amazing but way more "modern" than their old stuff.

Considered Dead is really good old school style death metal.

I like all their stuff so you can't really go wrong anywhere, but every album from Obscura on gets weirder and more complex.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Siivola posted:

I've been listening to a lot of really old metal (like, Black Sabbath old) lately and I could use something completely different. What's the newest hotness genre-wise? Whose debut album rips the hardest?

Bolt Thrower

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I destroyed my ankle at..Opeth lol.

It was a real lovely show and they played only their lame prog rock poo poo until the last song when they did Demon of the Fall. I was super drunk and ran into the pit that popped up and somehow managed to turn my ankle pretty badly.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Klaaz posted:

When talking about death metal bands, Death is hardly mentioned in this thread. What's anyones opinion on them? I never listen to anything other than their two last albums. Their early work eventho it seems pretty popular sounds so, uh, raw and without direction.

Death rules and I wouldn't be mad if this became the Death thread instead of the Bolt Thrower thread.

(I love them both really)

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

It's still weird to me that the guitarist on that first Possessed album is the guitarist from Primus.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I got into Immolation back when their newest album, Atonement came out and people in this thread were talking it up. That album does indeed rule. Like every drat song is good, and I have probably listened to that album like 100 times. What album of theirs do I go to next?

Also I am going to see Cannibal Corpse on Tuesday. I've never been super into them and have really only listened to the Chris Barnes era stuff(mainly the Bleeding). They are still solid live right? My friend's band is opening so I am really going for that, but I figure it will be a decent show.

Also, have some Bolt Thrower:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Cannibal Corpse was loving awesome live.

I ended up shirtless in the pit for the end part of I Cum Blood/Stripped, Raped and Strangled/Hammer Smashed Face.

Best show ever.

Also thanks for the Immolation recommendations.

Hate Eternal(one of the openers) was pretty cool too.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 14, 2018

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

No MI dates for CC? They’re dead to me.

They were in GR last night. But I feel like Michigan gets screwed a lot with tours of bands I like.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Literally the only death metal dude who's vocals I can understand without reading the lyrics are Mikael Akerfeldt(Opeth and early Bloodbath)'s growls. He had a weird way of having super brutal vocals but with good enunciation somehow. Too bad Opeth is trash now. Opeth is basically what got me into "extreme metal", so I will always love them for that at least.

I now listen to poo poo like Demilich and Dying Fetus, and can't understand a loving word but it rules anyway

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Henchman of Santa posted:

Have you somehow not listened to Death? Chuck is just shouting. Most death metal from before around 1991 is perfectly intelligible.

I feel like Chuck is like pre "standard" death metal vocals though. Like by modern standards of what you would call "death metal vocals". He's easy to understand.

Death rules, don't get me wrong. But the growls got more unintelligible by bands influenced by Death.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ewZvhqEHw

So this is a local band(Kalamazoo, MI) I saw on Friday. I thought they were pretty cool live.

What do you guys think?

Kinda doomy/sludge stuff. I hate lyric videos though because metal lyrics are pretty much always bad, but whatever.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I didn't think Bolt Thrower could get any cooler. Yet here we are.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

So I just listened to None So Vile for the first time after seeing it mentioned in this thread awhile ago...

gently caress.

Thanks again metal thread

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I'm posting again about None So Vile because I can't believe I never heard this album until a few days ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3JeaBoBU-c

It's so good.

What other Cryptopsy albums are good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Probably a dumb question that has been asked before, but are there any good old Opeth knockoff bands?'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QwWydffbc4

I've been listening to this 3 CD album, their 20th anniversary set from the Royal Albert Hall, and it loving rules. They do the whole Blackwater Park album, and one song from each album. The mix/production is perfect. It makes me kinda sad that they are so awful now days.

Has anyone popped up who sound like Opeth pre-prog rock garbage?

Like Morningrise is my favorite album ever, anything out there similar to that?