Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Orphaned Land - Mabool

Not quite as great, but OrWarriOr was also really great.

Also Savatage's Streets: a Rock Opera, and if you're into "post-black"/"black-gaze"/"ambient black metal" or whatever the gently caress people are calling it these days, any album by WitTR or Alcest really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gamma Nerd posted:

Freedom Call, Rhapsody and Statovarius are the logical next step.

Or if you want good music, Symphony X and Blind Guardian.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Korpiklaani is fun but yeah, I'd love to see Primordial or Tyr on there. I guess Eluviete is too big now? (in stature or in number of band members? :v:)

Or Skyclad but that'll never happen.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Houseplant posted:

Elu is shedding band members left and right so we'll have to see what they actually end up doing, but as for Paganfest. I saw Primordial during one of the US Paganfests and I just wanted them to play a four hour set. gently caress every other band on that lineup, just keep Primordial on.

I would pay quite a bit for a show that was just Primordial. I had tickets to that loving tour of Paganfest too, but I bought them before I knew I had a 9am exam the next day so I missed it, and I am still pissed at myself for not going.

Didn't know Eluveite was dropping members, hopefully they can find someone among the 4 hurdy-gurdy players left on earth to move on. :ohdear:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Synchronized headbanging takes full coordination man.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

KingKapalone posted:

The AA/Enslaved/Skeletonwitch show is on Valentine's Day in SF. Can't go :(

Get a cooler valentine.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fingers McGee posted:

Amon Amarth show was canceled tonight, son of a bitch. Its like in 87 when I had tickets to the and justice tour, was going to be my first concert. We got over a foot of snow and my ride didn't want to drive the 2 hours in it. Only today its a half inch of sorta snow/ice. We must look like ridiculous pussies to the Swedes/Norwegians.

You look like ridiculous pussies to DC. No need to get into Scandinavia.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sab669 posted:

Sonata Arctica put up a song off their new album out later next month;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGp0kms-GEk The Wolves Die Young

Looks like it'll be another mediocre-as-gently caress album :(

Has anyone really not given up on them yet?

Woolie Wool posted:

I really don't understand why anyone ever listened to this band when Stratovarius did the same thing much better but their early stuff was never this terrible.

Sratovarious is boring as poo poo, at least Sonata's early stuff was good. There's no good reason to listen to anything Unia and after though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

rxcowboy posted:

In other news my son destroyed my headphones and I need a new pair. Is there anything good for under 150 that metal sounds good on ? Since I listen on my iPhone I'm looking at a Koss Portapro or Sennheiser PX100-ii.

I've had a pair of Grado SR60s for like 8 years and they're still great. I'm sure they have an updated model.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Skilleddk posted:

This should be pretty easy, I need some new gym music and all kinds of metal fit well with me. Favorites right now are Soilwork, In Flames, Atreyu, Cradle of Filth, Children of Bodom... I know there's more similar bands out there, can anyone help out? I guess the pattern is heavy riffs between melodic choruses

Amon Amarth has already been mentioned, but I think Symphony X fits the bill too.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pomp posted:

What is the biggest, dumbest schlockiest metal?

If it's not Dragonforce for pure self aware schlock and not old school garbage like Manowar, it's probably Italian or German power metal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Crazy Larry posted:

I think you're sleeping on US power metal which

I have seen very very few good american metal bands, let alone power metal bands. Symphony X and Kamelot being the exceptions when it comes to power metal.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

edrith posted:

If any of you are into metal with ten thousand extra folk instruments, Metsatöll have a new (nsfw) video out. It's, uh, somethin'.

The best part is when they swap from the whole medieval(?) something or other killing naked ladies theme and show a shed with a plastic rake hanging on it.

WE WILL MURDER THIS GIRL WITH A TRIDENT, THEN TIDY UP YOUR LAAWWWWWWNNNNN

IRQ fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 16, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

caiman posted:

Metallica used to be great, but Ace Ventura always sucked.

They do have a lot in common though, Metallica past the 80s sounds like a man talking out of his anus.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Martout posted:

As for lyrical content, if the lyrics are good? Great! If not, I basically just think of the vocals as added percussion.

Metal lyrics are often enough incomprehensible within certain genres or are in another language to the point that I think it'd be hard to be really into it if you weren't able to view vocals as another instrument.

That said, can I overlook really really lame lyrics? After Forever's Invisible Circles is a good album in my opinion, so yes times a thousand. That album is downright embarrassingly silly in its lyrical content.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sylink posted:

Saw Dream Theater Tuesday night in D.C. A great show and the band really looks like they are having a good time since Portnoy left. And they played Space Dye Vest live which apparently loving owns.

Oh man, I wish I knew about that, wasn't poor, and wasn't dead sick on Tuesday. They have never played Space Dye Vest live that I know of.

Also I should probably listen to that album they put out like a year ago.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

skudmunky posted:

I would see Dream Theater again if I knew they were going to play Space Dye Vest. Is this the first time they've played it live with Rudess?

I know of once prior to this tour (which I know nothing about, it might be a regular thing now) that any of them have played it, and it was Rudess and LaBrie in a bootleg video at some bar years ago. Until now the official line was that it was so much Moore's song that they didn't feel right playing it. Maybe that was Portnoy's thing so it's back on the table? I dunno, I just want to hear that song live; always have loved it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Non Serviam posted:

That's not it either. He's saying (and I disagree with him) that a big chunk of metal glorifies evil and that it can be a moral disease. It isn't so much against metal, but rather against the way in which the scene has been shaped.

This is like seeing that Gaahl "...Satan" video and not cracking up. Some people just take the schtick too seriously.

There are some hosed up people in metal, but I really don't think the "evil" imagery is the root of that.

hail satan

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

m-o-o-n posted:

Then they switched singers and decided full-on girlfriend metal is what they love playing

It doesn't help that the guy can't sing at all.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Haha what the hell is Bad Religion doing in there?

Playing lame christmas hair metal with Twisted Sister or weak rear end radio goth rock like Within Temptation now?

There's some really weird choices on that billing. The bottom acts have some cool poo poo though, Tyr, Mercenary, Taake? I'd go for them. Not to mention Behemoth and Maiden.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

What embarrassing poo poo did you guys listen to?

That one Linkin Park album was and is still pretty drat catchy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fenrir posted:

I must be weird, then. The only Linkin Park album I could ever listen to was Thousand Suns, and... poo poo I still like a good bit of that one. If you're talking about the ~crawling in my skiiiiin~ one (which I'm guessing you and a few of the others who have posted about it are), I guess I was just too old for that or something.

Now that I really think of it though, I'd have probably listened to that too if it came out when I was like 13.

I was in high school when it came out. I still say it's a very catchy cd. I don't think I listened to their follow-up as I discovered metal shortly thereafter.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

muike posted:

is that like the only band from here?

I can't even think of any bands from Maryland aside from Jimmie's Chicken Shack (who were great) and I think one guy from Hootie and the Blowfish was from a town over but that hardly counts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's being a bit disingenuous toward metal in Massachusetts. Boston alone produced Dream Theater, Isis, maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot, Grief and Revocation.

Going to college in Boston doesn't make them a Boston band. Dream Theater is from New York.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Hammer Floyd posted:

That's just shameless. Really guys?

The song or so thoroughly missing the point of Saving Private Ryan?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Kvlt! posted:

I need some reccomendations for goofy, fun, swords and wizards and spaceships and dragons epic power metal!

Devin Townsend.

Dragonforce.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Omnikin posted:

Confirmed!

I'll be at the Albany date, missed Amon Amarth twice now and I don't plan on doing it again

What the hell, no DC?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oldstench posted:

New WIITR is krautrock. How loving hilarious is that?

It's better than all their other poo poo by a large margin.

I vaguely recall them saying Celestial whatever was their last album as WITTR. I guess they kept the name and went all Disillusion on us.

Shame, I quite liked their black metal albums.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

queertea posted:

New Eluveitie track is a tribute to the Alps and will be available in English, Swiss German, Romansh, French, and Italian.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhTrT93gOzA

I wish more bands would do multilingual stuff.

Haha, gently caress you spanish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

my bony fealty posted:

thread, what was the band that made you fall in love with harsh vocals?

Orphaned Land (Mabool) or Disillusion (Back to Times of Splendor) around the same time.

I didn't really give it much of a chance until I saw Mercenary at a show and it became tolerable.