Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

aliencowboy posted:

Can crust be granted honourary metal status for the purposes of this thread? There really isn't anywhere else to talk about it. :colbert:
Post in the punk thread or make a crust thread if it doesn't fit in there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

Fans of power metal should Probably check out the new Satan's Host.
This rules

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gorilla Radio posted:

If you like this, you might like Kiuas. More Kiuas
I've listened before and they didn't really grab me, though my more-into-power-metal friend really loves them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

hemophilia posted:

I'm glad for that. To me, power metal is perfect at what it does, and for the most part it seems largely above the race to the bottom many other subgenres of metal suffer from. It's not my favorite kind of metal, but I like how consistent it has been over the years.
Man, I like power metal, but you make it sound like oatmeal.

quote:

I like new ideas, but I have a hard time appreciating change for the sake of change. Making your music harder, darker, and tuning down the guitars another whole-step while making your lyrics even more incomprehensible -all for the sake of being different- is not exactly brilliant or interesting, and I can think of a few bands where that sort of philosophy has ruined perfectly good music.
Just because you can't see a reason for change doesn't make it change solely for the sake of change.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

BSchlang posted:

Well poo poo, just make it anyway and edit the OP later.
Honestly, I don't care if the OP is just "Let's talk Opeth." I just want a place to gush over my favorite band.
Just go make the thread, their new album isn't even going to be metal anyway so it would be best to shunt discussion off somewhere else.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Yaku posted:

Any good folk metal recommendations? I prefer to listen to female fronted folk metal but I'm fine with either as long as it's good. :v:

I mainly listen to Arkona, if that helps any.
The only other folk metal band I listen to with female vocals is Lumsk, check their album Troll. Their album Det Kilde Vor (esp the track Lad Spille Med Vaar Over Jorden) is good too, but not very metal. Asmegin's first album also has occasional female vocals.

Other than that, Metsatoll, Korpiklaani's first 2 or 3 albums, Kroda's first 2 albums, Trollfest (Korpiklaani worship, kinda corny)

edit: I can't believe I forgot to mention Leprechaun. Their demo The Ultimate Dance is classic all the way through and the track Rusalka has female vocals too.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Gr31lly posted:

Nifelheim and Treblinka logos look nothing like that though? Aside from the black text with white outlines.

Skeletonwitch is closer, it's a fairly "generic retro thrash" logo though. Like say Deathchain, Witchaven, etc.

Anyway the guys who made the patches are James Jirat Patradoon and Aaron Kuswara. And they plan on selling them.

The majority of the front of the vest is based on punk/crust/hardcore bands though.
The fact that you and MrBling didn't recognize it kind of blows my mind, now I'm really curious as to which logo that's parodying.

Also let's make this interesting and say if anyone can identify it they get a free custom title of their choice.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Ingram posted:

The new Haken album is pretty awesome. I'm still on my first play now but I can see myself listening to it again. Can't say their first album grabbed me but maybe I need to give it another listen.
A bunch of people talked about them in the Dream Theater thread saying they sounded similar, but I didn't hear it quite so much when I listened. I wasn't keen on their music, but a number of people seemed to like them a lot.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

nerve posted:

I actually turned off showing embedded videos because it looks too messy for me already :shobon:
Yeah the embedded videos are really bulky and are killing my browser. I like having videos embedded when there's like 1 or two in a post, not dozens.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Dead Man Posting posted:

Unless you are indirectly suggesting to change the videos all to links
I am. I would also add per-track descriptions, since subgenres can range to widely in style; you don't want someone being turned off by the first track they click if they would prefer a different style in the genre.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

rxcowboy posted:

Anthrax is a "fun" metal band
Yeah this is what I always thought set Anthrax apart from the other Big 4. Megadeth had a bit more of this than the others, but Dave Mustaine was always a bit more vitriolic whereas I thought Anthrax kept that punk-y snarky attitude without being too incisive.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Monkeytime posted:

I just saw Arkona at Jaxx in Alexandria VA (a dump, what a dump) and they were amazing. If you're on the fence at all, go.
Seconding this, I was there too, and the sound was lovely but it was still a great experience. The band is really fun and into the music (even if Masha can't speak english beyond "THANK YOU MY BROTHERS" and "THIS NEXT SONG ABOUT RUSSIA")

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

I haven't found a pile of metal albums I really enjoyed this year, but I do need to name All Pigs Must Die's God Is War as my album of the year. Crusty without being sloppy, aggressive as poo poo and really well-constructed all around.
I've seen a punch of people repping this, I'm gonna have to check it out, thanks.

I'm still mulling over stuff I've listened to, but I'd definitely mention Portrait - Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae (nwobhm, Mercyful Fate worship more or less) and Ribspreader - The Van Murders (death metal). I enjoyed Tyr's album The Lay of Thrym a lot more than previous albums too. It's sort of reminiscent of Amon Amarth's better moments in that it's melodeath, everything sounds really similar, but tracks still have distinguishable melodies enough that you don't feel like it's the same track over and over again.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Double Deuce posted:

Was this mystery was ever solved?

Looks to me like the logo for Phantom Witch:

Wow, that looks closer than anything I've seen before, the only thing that gives me pause is how the jodeci one angles down at the ends rather than upwards. Other than that it's dead on.

Also, poo poo, I missed a Darkestrah album?

BTW, m-o-o-n, isn't your band Cult of Endtime? I have 3 tracks I think you posted earlier this year, been going back to them every so often, very good stuff.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a die-hard Tŭr fan, I disliked their newest release. Apparently a lot of people in this thread really liked it, but I really really didn't.
Yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. I sort of feel bad for the die-hard fans, because the band really departed from what had made them unique (though I obviously am more of a fan of the new album). I'm not sure any other band really is doing this combination of chorus vocals and catchy repetitive riffing sort of crossing power metal with melodeath. I would have expected Turisas to go in this sort of direction before Tyr really. Monkeytime was the one who spurred me to really give this album a chance, and I think he said he'd read an interview where they said they made a deliberate decision to go for a catchier/poppier angle.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

YeahTubaMike posted:

Turisa maybe OUGHT to go in that direction. Stand Up And Fight was almost completely unlistenable.
Yeah it was definitely a serious letdown after The Varangian Way. I should revisit it but I doubt I'll change my opinion on it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Turk February posted:

This is still my favorite metal-themed car commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQin6rnTzYQ

The comment "ENTRAILS RIPPED FROM A VOLVO'S TRUNK" loving slayed me.
Clicked, initially paused and went "eh, I've seen this before" and then unpaused because this rules regardless.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
This barely fits here, but Metallica is hosting a 2 day festival where they will play the black album in its entirety the first night (yay?) and Ride The Lightning the second night (yay!). But the hilarious part is that so far there's only like 2 metal bands (3 if you count Avenged Sevenfold) out of like 15 announced, and they're The Sword and Liturgy:

quote:

Arctic Monkeys • Avenged Sevenfold
Modest Mouse • The Gaslight Anthem
Cage The Elephant • hosed Up • Best Coast
Hot Snakes • Titus Andronicus
Gary Clark Jr. • Lucero • Roky Erickson
The Black Angels • The Sword
A Place to Bury Strangers • Liturgy

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2012/02/orion_music_mor.html

This combined with the "lifestyle" part of the festival makes me think this is almost certainly just Lars concocting a scheme where young people will tell him he is cool and hip and not an old guy at all.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Cobweb Heart posted:

What, you guys didn't get the memo? Many people like pirates. Therefore, any self-respecting goon wouldn't listen to music about pirates. Get with the program!
This is kinda dumb. Even aside from the contortions one goes through to see it as being goony _not_ to like metal about pirates, I doubt many people will lump Running Wild in with Alestorm and Swashbuckle, it's hardly as simple as that.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Industrial posted:

An example of the reverse would be Airheads, a movie that is actually about heavy metal, and they used White Zombie.
The Lemmy cameo ("I was editor of my school magazine!") was great in that. Also the rival band The Sons of Thunder was played by Galactic Cowboys.

I don't think anything will ever top the West Wing mention of Graveland and NSBM, that was such a weird, out-of-nowhere thing.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

WickedIcon posted:

So, um, what's the goon opinion on Sabaton? They have a new album coming this month and the first single rules so loving hard.
Sabaton definitely has some good songs on every album but this track sounds pretty fillerish to me, honestly. That's not to say the album won't have good songs on it, but the first single is pretty underwhelming

quote:

They're so goddamned cheesy and silly but I can't help but love them. :allears:
Eh, other than the interludes on The Art of War, "cheesy" isn't really how I would describe them.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

What Fun posted:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I can't find discussion about this anywhere. Is anyone listening to Brendon Small's(Home Movies, Metalacolypse) new album Galaktikon?

It's billed as a "High Stakes Intergalactic Extreme Rock Album" and an "audio comic book". I've had it on heavy repeat the past 3 days and I just need someone else to validate that this is really cool.
I like Brendon Small a whole lot and think he's a really funny guy and talented musician, but I find it really difficult to take his music as much more than novelty music.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sab669 posted:

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.
The thread title change was because people talked about it but it was nothing but "hey look how unsurprisingly horrible Sonata Arctica's latest album is"

edit: god loving dammit.

het fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2012

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

nomapple posted:

Got confused by the thread title change, haha. Gonna have to check out the new Cattle Decapitation by the looks of things with so many people recommending it both here and elsewhere.
Yeah, Monkeytime was talking it up to me yesterday, I definitely need to check that out.

BTW the #0000000 in the title was because Baltimore is all about the O's ;)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Okay let's get things back on track; if you want to post about dads' music tastes, do it in another forum.

Dol Ammad has a new(ish) album out, it's kind of a letdown on first listen (Ocean Dynamics at least had Aquatic Majesty, which is excellent). I'm sort of doubting they're really going to match the composition of Star Tales in any future releases, but here's hoping.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

thepitgoddess posted:

Didn't see anyone post this. Morbid Angel's first tour in 6 years, with support from Dark Funeral and Grave.

Sep. 24 - Washington, DC - Howard Theater
I was gonna be all :raise: but apparently this isn't affiliated with the University

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bertrand Hustle posted:

This is quite possibly the least specific description of a person I've ever read.
Yeah I was thinking I see a dozen of those at any given show

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Looking at this as if the objection is "oh, poor maligned Slayer" seems to be missing the point. I don't get why we can't all go "Yeah, it's hosed up that someone who is employed to sell merchandise to teenagers decided that Nazi imagery would be a good way to do that" and move on.

Why does it always have to turn into some childish "Well *I'm* not offended therefore it is wrong for anyone else to be" thing? Congrats, guys, you're super openminded because you don't have a problem with Nazi imagery, give yourselves a pat on the back but please don't post about it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

MDF XI 2013

PENTAGRAM

just to be clear, which one?

(Also yeah psyched for Venom, Carcass, and Manilla Road)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wyzt posted:

I'm assuming the doom one, other one officially changed their name to "Pentagram Chile"...that and they just played in 2011.

Super stoked for this line up so far
Right, but I asked because in 2011 the lineup card definitely didn't make it clear that it was the Chilean one (nothing against them, of course, it was apparently a last minute replacement sort of deal)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Man, "djent" as a label at least had satisfying onomatopoeia even if all of its fans can't stop making terrible puns on it, "cyber-metal" sounds dumb as hell.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Wyzt posted:

Well its no longer at sonar, so until they announce the new venue dont really know, but every year before its been Indoor on thursday, then friday, saturday, sunday its one indoor stage, 2 outdoor stages.
The facebook post says "Thursday will be inside-only", which seems to imply that it'll probably roughly follow that same pattern. Really there's no way they could avoid having it partially outside without severely constricting it.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Imho there's enough gaps in Spotify's metal selection that it's not really sufficient if you venture much beyond bigger indie labels like Earache/Roadrunner/Century Media/Nuclear Blast and the like. Big names will generally be there but it's generally not great for finding small metal bands that don't already have some kind of following

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
BTW guys tickets for MDF just went on sale, I highly recommend buying ASAP if you want to see Bolt Thrower on Thursday, that's gonna run out quickly I bet

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Perfect Element posted:

Time to all remind ourselves that Six Feet Under really are an absolutely atrocious band who would never, ever have achieved any success without having extant connections to the music industry.

See also: Hellyeah.
(feat. Vinnie Paul)

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

Lyrics have never been Dream Theater's high point, but lyrics and vocals have been a low point more than a few times. The band also had one of the best lyricists in metal, John Arch, audition back in 1991, though I've heard that he did it as a favor to the band.
I would argue that Kevin Moore's lyrics were very good, it's just that he wasn't the sole lyricist, they traded off a lot. Of course the band's style ultimately wasn't to his taste

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Zodijackylite posted:

Moore's lyrics were hit or miss, I think two of his three on I&W were well written (Pull Me Under and Wait For Sleep) and one was pretty weak (Surrounded), while one on Awake was interesting (Space Dye Vest) and the other two were mediocre(6:00 and Lie). It's oddly appropriate that right after he left the band, the record company had the producer write some lyrics, since he seemed to be the one who managed to write their catchiest song at that point.
The Mirror and Lie are kind of ehh (I don't think they're bad but the concept is weak) but 6:00 is cool specifically because it seemed to obviously be a farewell letter to the band, at least indirectly. Also I really liked Surrounded, though it was definitely a different song from the rest of the album.

edit: compared to the others I thought Moore was light-years ahead (which was borne out by his output in Chroma Key), and I always thought Myung's lyrics were overrated by fans

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Misogynist posted:

When they toured last, the show was almost entirely stuff from Heartwork, so it would honestly surprise me if it was in the death-'n-roll style of Swansong.
Man I hope that's not what they play at MDF. I mean, Heartwork isn't a bad album, but I'm way more interested in their earlier stuff.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

The Clit Avoider posted:

Mike Scaccia of Rigor Mortis apparently died on stage last night. Fuckin hell. Everyone should listen to the s/t since it utterly crushes.
Jesus, that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Mr. Heroes posted:

I'm always on the look out for woman fronted metal bands that aren't the epic, melodic opera sounds like Leave's Eyes, Edenbridge, Nightwish etc. Abnormality is your typical death metal with a woman growler that doesn't sound terrible! It's like woman death metal singers are slightly more audible than men because they don't get so guttural and low in their tones.
Okay, sure. Generic, but whatever.

quote:

:staredog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttVe6v31Yk

More hard rock, but still fun to watch ;)
This is not hard rock but it does make me think you're only interested in metal videos that have pretty girls that give you a boner. (also it's terrible poo poo)