Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Alvarez IV posted:

I woke up this morning and remembered how much I love Body Count. Then I was sad because of all the political metal I know, a good chunk of it is Nazis or otherwise rightward leaning bullshit, a good chunk of what's left is merely lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying "Let's kill the oppressors," and the majority of what's left after that is crossover thrash. Obviously I'm not against crossover thrash (if I was making lists like y'all, Body Count's self titled would be up there and not just because of affirmative action), but it shouldn't be the one holdout for leftist metal that's only grandfathered in because it was punk first. What am I missing? And nobody say Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down, of course I know who the gently caress they are and they're covered under "lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying 'Let's kill the oppressors.'"

Bit obscure, but you might like a band called Napalm Death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Really digging the Oxygen Destroyer album!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I may have been dragged into this Ghost thing, I don't read this thread that much and there may be some irony.

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_ijc7A5oAc

It's 70s hard rock and they wear masks and some makeup.

Certainly isn't metal.

[edit] Was entertaining, but not that great

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress, these guys are playing here tonight and I can't go. But it is extremely good.

https://celestes.bandcamp.com/

These guys are so loving good.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That Insect Warfare song is loving awesome

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Loving the new Pig Destroyer - as much of a beast Scott Hull is, sounds good with a bass player in there too.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Anata - Build On Sand is awesome, thanks!!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I really like Egyptian themed bands, Nile was the only one I really got into but CRESCENT seem very good too.

Are there any others?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Henchman of Santa posted:

Aeternam are alright. I don’t know if they still do that or if it was just the first album.

Melechesh touch on it but also write about Babylonian and Assyrian stuff. They rule if you like that middle eastern vibe in general.

Cheers man, yeah, that middle eastern vibe really appeals!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Aren't the people upset about SOD - Speak English or Die exactly the same people the band and album were mocking in the first place?!

Nazi, they're taking the piss out of you, you know?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

henpod posted:

New Anaal song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf8curpccj4

Sounds like their typical stuff at this point, but the vocals are pretty awesome in the harsh, distorted screamy howls.

I dunno, I got into them around The Codex Necro, when they were never going to put a band together live and play.

It's good, but I just can't get into the new stuff.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I started to listen to the Horrendous album on YouTube and got bored - this was in my recommended list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1quWMOoUYk

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bought the new Pig Destroyer album - Scott Hull is a loving monster loving riff god!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This is the first Bolt Thrower song I have ever heard and I love it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjyQUGQRPd8

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Good Lord, Bolt Thrower are awesome - why have I never listened to them before?!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Now that I have discovered Bolt Thrower, I am going to open a can of worms and ask what their best album is?!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

A TURGID FATSO posted:

As much as I do love "Those Once Loyal", I think I'm going to give the edge to "...For Victory".

Don't get me wrong, their entire discography should be bought, listened to, and worshipped for eternity.

From what I have already heard, this seems to be the best way to go about it!

Can't believe they are from the UK and I have never really heard of them / listened to them.

Early stuff sounds a bit Napalm Death (whom I love too!)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Smirr posted:

What's that I hear? Please sperg out a list? Don't mind if I do

1. Realm of Chaos
2. The IVth Crusade
3. War Master
4. For Victory
5. Those Once Loyal
6. In Battle There Is No Law! [the exclamation mark is really important]
7. Honour Valour Pride
8. Mercenary

For the record, Mercenary is a 6 or 7 out of 10 album. To me there's not a lot of daylight between spots 2 through 7.

You are awesome, cheers dude!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Klaaz posted:

Also, listen to Immolation and Gorguts. I just needed to snipe my 3 favourite death metal bands

I've sorta casually listened to both bands but not really got into them. What albums should I be listening too?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Just started listening to Immolation - Close to a World Below.

Really digging the off / odd time signature of the first song!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Weaponized Cum posted:

Ross Dolan's vocal delivery rules and the dissonance is A+ -- also they have a bald guitarist which is always funny to me unless you're a brutal tech death band, then it's kind of expected

At least he's really bald instead of trying to hang on the last remnants of hair!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mr. Pickles posted:

how about this first song of a debut album. its a very good song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IefrLg-L2rM

There's a long list of bands in powermetal you could check out, but it's doubtful you'll find any diamonds if you're not into the genre.

Blind Guardian would have shaped your world, if you were a kid, a fantasy buff and a metalhead at the same time. But I think we missed that train.

Are they an Iron Maiden cover band?!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Decided to listen to Slayer for reasons I don't know - Reign in Blood of course and that transition from Alter of Sacrifice to Jesus Saves made me shiver.

They were a good band.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Mr. Pickles posted:

Amon Amarth are good. I would like to see them again sometime

I saw them in London, Kentish Town. They were awesome; many years ago now though :(

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I know it’s in the thread title but, Bolt Thrower. Why have I never listened to Bolt Thrower before today? Just finished Those Once Loyal and it’s ridiculously good.

I was once in your position, perhaps only a few weeks ago.

I now listen to Bolt Thrower every day.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nirvana were awesome, Ghostbusters 1 and 2 were also awesome.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

They were supposed to do one EP for each member that year and then just...didn't

The band is saying they "had some disagreements about how we should interact in the band." What does that mean?

I read somewhere that she was being bullied by the other band members and that is why she left Agoraphobic Nosebleed and the last band she was in.

[edit] apparently she's doing more stuff with Pig Destroyer, which is awesome!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Did you read it in this thread after my post?

Also that’s weird because the link between those two bands is Scott Hull. Maybe he wasn’t doing the bullying.

Didn't see your post, sorry.

Hopefully not, Scott Hull is awesome.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXeOHoyfCuc

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Nile is making my desk rattle. I love Nile.

(For Whom The Gods Detest)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

CornHolio posted:

What's a good place to start with the Melvins if I really like The Bit? Stag and go from there or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOn7Ind9MHU

I really really like Houdini.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

It is awful generic rubbish.

loving Devin Townsend shite.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I think someone posted a song in this here thread, but I bought Musmahhu - "Reign of the Odious" from Bandcamp and really digging it so far.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bit wanky I'm afraid.

Mate of mine had a band with two bass players when we were at college mid-90s.

More of a Sonic Youth vibe though.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Bass players always crush

- Bass Player

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I saw Septicflesh supporting Amon Amarth in 2011. They were loving atrocious.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

so a buddy of mine is in a band with some dudes (former and current members of revocation, inter arma and KEN mode) and they released a demo:

https://canecorso.bandcamp.com/

has a converge feeling to it, if that's your thing.

Pretty cool!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Vintersorg posted:

Just remember Devoured by Vermin to scream the chorus.

That's it. Everything else blends in together.

Sad this isn't on there, one of their more groove-metal'ish songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr4gKVsqh9o

I mean, it's not Bolt Thrower, but this is a great song.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Very d-beaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I had a DVD of Mayhem, Marseilles 2001 I think.

Proper dead animal head there! covered in barbed wire that he was deliberately wrapping round his arms and harming himself.

Black Metal!

It was really good :)