Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Reposting this here for the new thread:

My friend and I wrote a thrash song about Hurricane Irene. The storm turned out to be mostly a dud, so let the music rip your house apart instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwP70gaWYYY

But back to the thread - I agree about the new Toxic Holocaust. It rules, but it's definitely a slight style change for Mr. Grind.

edit-- And thank you all for the Noctum/Year of the Goat/Graveyard/etc. recommendations, those have been a lot of fun.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
^^^what is happening in this thread I don't even get it anymore^^^

Vintersorg posted:

I love your stuff, count me in on whatever poo poo you got for you 666 limited edition vinyl in red goat blood print, thanks.

PS im serious, I want more stuff.

Just for you, I'm starting a song tomorrow called Painted in Goat Blood.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Folk metal does own, especially with female sing/screamers (Arkona)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DE6-5rKLY

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is it okay if I stop the last.fm circlejerk?

New Wolves in the Throne Room, Celestial Lineage, leaked and it rules. Definitely more atmospheric than Black Cascade, sort of like if you mixed it with Malevolent Grain. Really good stuff so far.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dead Man Posting posted:

It's odd that the 10 minute songs go by extremely fast and the 5 minute ones go on forever.

I noticed that. I had track one on, and thought "hm, I wonder how long it's been, this song is 11 minutes isn't it?" and when I looked I was on track 4 already :aaa:

Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

Come onnnn vinyl!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

Any news about when the vinyl's released?

Beats me. I checked WITTR.com and SouthernLord.com, no word.

In other vinyl news, Marrow of the Spirit finally came out on vinyl and was shipped to me today - woohoo!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Vargatron posted:

I was browsing reddit this morning and I found a pretty cool upstart folk metal band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAF-fDivfj0&feature=related

They're called Aether Realm and they're out of Greenville, NC! (Just a state away from me!) I think the vocals stand out the most for me. Mid to high register death metal vocals but the enunciation is amazing. So far they just have a 2 song EP out, but the band looks extremely promising!

Whoa I was just visiting Greenville for the weekend and came home to find this! (I live in Greensboro, about 3 hours away).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

:allears: stevie floyd

She's dating Mike Scheidt from YOB too. If they have a kid, he's going to be the heaviest musician.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Can dillinger escape plan be even called the same band? I liked all their early albums which were just chaos and stopped for a while. Coming back I hear it's some new generic loving crap. What a disappointment.

Yeah, I think the only original member is one of the guitarists, but I may be wrong - they may not have any left. They're pretty terrible compared to how they used to be :/

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Wow! Just found out I get to see Skeletonwitch and Kvelertak on tour together next month. gently caress yeah!!!

poo poo man stop that, I don't have spare pants at work.

Any tour dates announced?

edit-- October 20th, Tremont Music Hall, Charlotte, NC... Tremont? Really? Fuuuuck I hate that place.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 13, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Juaguocio posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

Compression is an essential part of music production, as it serves to "even out" the volume of a track by increasing the volume of quiet parts and limiting the volume of loud parts (well, actually "limiting" is another, related concept, but let's not worry about that). Too much compression, however, can remove the dynamics between volume levels that you want, leaving a track sounding "squashed."

In layman's terms, instead of a drum fill sounding like
BoopadoDAPPA-ba-doopa

It'll sound something like
BOOPADODAPPABADOOPA

No dynamics, no subtlety.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
WitTR Celestial Lineage and YOB Atma vinyls are out, oh no my wallettttttttttttt

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

Shiiiiittttt! Oh well, I can eat noodles for the rest of the month.

Ninja edit: Where would you go if you wanted to order them both from the same place?

I don't know if that's possible right now. Southern Lord is usually pretty stingy with their vinyls when they're first released.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

HMorg posted:

Yeah, went to have a look around Southern Lord's site and decided that YOB can wait since the WitTR 2LP+shirt package needs to come to me and it was rather expensive.
Where would you get the YOB LP, though? Straight from Profound Lore?

http://www.midheaven.com/item/atma-by-yob-2xlp

http://www.20buckspin.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=971

I don't know if either ship to Europe or not, though I'd assume.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Hammer Floyd posted:

Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?

Twilight of the Thunder God is their most catchy and accessible, but their classic albums are (in my opinion) Once Sent From the Golden Hall, and Versus the World.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Nifelheim and Treblinka logos look nothing like that though? Aside from the black text with white outlines.

Skeletonwitch is closer, it's a fairly "generic retro thrash" logo though. Like say Deathchain, Witchaven, etc.

Anyway the guys who made the patches are James Jirat Patradoon and Aaron Kuswara. And they plan on selling them.

The majority of the front of the vest is based on punk/crust/hardcore bands though.

That's so weird. The Big Pun/Nekromantix patch especially threw me.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

aliencowboy posted:

:raise: Hmmmmmmmmm.....

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Rectal_Smegma/3540264690

Yup.

Only a matter of time until Santorum becomes a grind band name.

Do it. Google Santorum.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nerve posted:

New Absu and Skeletonwitch on back to back days :getin:

I got excited cause I thought there was new Absu to listen to right now :(

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Skeletonwitch going back on tour with Unearth and one other, forget who. Coming back to Winnipeg in December, check their site! :D Didn't feel like paying $45 for just them when they played with Devildriver and Arch Enemy.

Those guys are touring MACHINES.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nirvana7x posted:

edit: and I think the other guy was confused that Abzu wasn't referring to some other band, but rather the new album from Absu. Case closed!

If you're talking about me, I was confused because I had seen nothing posted anywhere about sample tracks from the album or anything, so I was searching for some released sample tracks or something. I've heard the album now and it's pretty awesome. Not as catchy as Absu, but a little more aggressive. Very good stuff.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
It's pretty amazing. It's not as catchy as Absu but it's definitely fantastic.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

plester1 posted:

Sumerian Records is a label that includes bands like After the Burial, Veil of Maya, Periphery, and Born of Osiris. Basically a lot of stuff that would belong in the djent thread.

Years ago my old band toured with a band called Reflux, and I remember a number of times sitting with a permanent :stare: face while their singer went on long rants to me about various conspiracies and how he literally thinks that aliens came and created humanity and how we're all made out of stardust and stuff.

...turns out that guy is Ash Avildsen, the guy who runs Sumerian Records. He's crazy. A great guy, but crazy. Coincidentally, their guitar was Tosin Abasi, who's now the wonderchild behind Animals As Leaders, and is substantially less crazy. Small world.

edit-- This is one of the books I remember him recommending to me: Welp.

quote:

The author, former U.S. Naval Intelligence Briefing Team Member, reveals information kept secret by our government since the 1940s. UFOs, the J.F.K.. assassination, the Secret Government, the war on drugs and more by the world's leading expert on UFOs.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

They also have done some of my favorite cover songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFu16w_DBY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMTrm2wRoyc

Don't forget about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP77LfakaFY

It's not technically Blind Guardian, but it's Hansi, and that's close enough for me :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
(Crossposting with the black metal thread)

You guys liked my ode to Hurricane Irene, "Hurricane Slayin'," and you guys liked my Ensrug stuff, SO... you guys get to be the first to hear a new Ensrug track:

I humbly present for your enjoyment, a blackened song of loss and solemnity,

Ensrug - "Ghost of Verdance"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Objurium posted:

Without saying too much, WITTR should be around til at least this upcoming winter ;)

What

Go on, say too much.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of old bands, apparently Venom has a new album coming out?

Cronos is, ironically, not aging well.

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing the Cryptkeeper, and then look at that picture. You can't tell me I'm wrong.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

p4vl posted:

You know what I just imagined? A naked Cronos dancing slowly and weeping ala Bad Lieutenant. I can tell you you're wrong.

I revise my statement.

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing Ronnie James Dio in a Hollywood biopic.

Now look at that image.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If I've never put much effort into listening to Dissection before, should I start with Somberlain or Light's Bane?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm listening to Somberlain right now. God drat I didn't realize where Watain got their sound until now :shobon:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Morbid Florist posted:

Except that motorhead isn't copying anyone else :confused:

Apparently if you're copying yourself that's against the rules too.

Someone alert AC/DC, they should be #1 on the worst offenders list.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Some bands are about being innovative with their music and pushing the boundaries with every album, some bands are just about having a fuckin' killer time and partying hard and playing music as loud as it will go.

Motorhead falls into one of these categories.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Drifter287 posted:

Skeletonwitch
really loving fun to see live.

This is god damned true. I'm seeing them with Kvelertak and Zoroaster tomorrow night and couldn't be more excited.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I tried 3 different songs and I couldn't make it to James Hetfield's vocal parts. Should I try again?

I wouldn't, no.

Also, just listened to the Taake song with the banjo solo in it ("Myr"). Well, I listened to it twice because I was laughing the first time. Holy poo poo, it's so good! How did they make it good? I'm impressed.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 21, 2011

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You know, maybe if Metallica were drunk and on coke, as opposed to just Lou Reed, it might be a pretty righteous album.

...unfortunately that's not the case.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
So I got into Dissection last week and I've been addicted ever since. Where do I go from here?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Gr31lly posted:

Page 18?

Whoops, remembered the Dissection discussion, forgot about the recommendations beforehand.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Gr31lly where do you find these bands, how do you do it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Also, Arghoslent is amazing, I think they are the only melodic death metal band I enjoy.

I love them, but I can't for the life of me figure out their message.

I do know a guy tried to got in my face for mentioning liking them at a show.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MrBling posted:

Their message is that they don't really like black people.

That's what I figured. But their interviews sort of dance around it. "Oh, ha ha, yeah, we uh, we don't consider ourselves a NSBM band. I mean, we share SOME of the NS views, but I mean, it's all about the MUSIC, ya know?"

I guess "some of the views" equates to hating blacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fair points.

VVV didn't know about the GBK interconnection either. There's no ambiguity now!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 26, 2011