Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

keratas posted:

Still one of the most amazing songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZUysqemMmg

Goddamn, I am loving some Riot. Thanks for pointing them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Vargatron posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ip_Dt-yWbs
The true progenitors of viking metal...

BEHOLD THE HAMMEEEEERRRRRRR!!!!

I'm loving those fireworks.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I "get" Anthrax, people praise them as some thrash gods but the poo poo I hear is so weak. Especially on vocals, it just takes me right out of everything. They loving suck. I prefer stuff more along the lines of Sodom, Overkill, Razor, etc.

Its more on the punk end of thrash I think. I prefer thrash like Overkill much more myself as well.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Holy Grail is pretty good too. They are the guys from the first White Wizzard EP that all got fired.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Meh, I'm not digging the new Megadeth at all. No tracks are really standing out to me. Sure there's shredding, but the rest of the song is just boring. Most catchy song is Public Enemy #1, and that's a decent track. Endgame was so much better IMO.

I like the style, he kind of combined all of the stuff that I like about the whole Megadeth collection into one album. Problem is, he took all those ideas turned them into boring riffs.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Optimum Gulps posted:

Which era of Death are you listening to? If it's Symbolic/The Sound of Perseverance, then you should check out the band Illogicist. They're about as close as you're going to get to the technical/progressive sound Death had towards the end.

Finally got a chance to give this a go. Holy crap this sounds like Death. Even the style of the solos is Chuck. I've only heard a couple songs, not bad so far.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

TheForgotton posted:

Submitted for your approval: Virgin Steele - Perfect Mansions.

So much to love about this video. Sword-torches, a castle, some very impressive stage moves, and a handful of cutting-edge video effects such as INVERT COLORS. I know if I have a high note to deliver after a guitar solo (6:20 in if you want to skip to the glory), I'm running my rear end down the side of a hill like I'm being chased by bees. I have to say this is the most unintentionally funny video I've seen in a long time.

Can anyone identify what the hell he's holding in the living room parts around :53 seconds in? A metallic loofah sponge? A bronzed pufferfish? Dog toy?

That ruled, but did we really need 9 minutes of that song?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Sci Fi Metal you say!?

I present IRON SAVIOR gently caress YEAH (Warning: Cheesy as hell metal lies ahead. But you should've known that when you asked for sci fi themed metal.)

Megatropolis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfSAcSPcBPs

Cybernetic Queen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh08LX3-M7Q

Whoa, this stuff rules. Looks like I've got some new albums to pick up.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

BjornOfBorg posted:

Seated metal concerts is the strangest phenomenon ever and I don't think I've ever encountered it anywhere in Europe. Other than when Opeth came rolling around with their Damnation tour, where it actually made sense other than their opening band playing a normal metal set.

I saw Saxon in some small town in Illinois late last year and it was the same thing. Worst part is that it was enforced! They kicked out some drunk dude because an older guy was offended. Dude just wanted to rock out.

Saxon ruled, but the venue blew.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Monkeytime posted:

Regarding the CD question, I guess I would if we were talking $1-2 a CD, I rarely buy CDs at all anymore though.

Same here, if I buy a CD, I immediately rip it, so the disc is more collection stuff for me. I prefer to just buy it on vinyl.

For playback, I use CDR's because I tend to ruin them.

However, I think that many of my friends have and would buy a CD and book and just provide their own jewel case, but they are major into trading.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
How does Iron Maiden skip Hallowed be thy name? -fine, I'll spoiler too.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

SgtScruffy posted:

You clearly haven't seen them on the tours that immediately follow a new album in the past ten years.

Never seen them period, but I will see them at Summerfest, can't wait. Besides that one missing song, the set list looks amazing.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

This is pretty good, but drat, the mixing blows.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Illogicist is a bit of a Death clone. they are solid, later style Death

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I know it's just bold Mercyful Fate / King Diamond worshiping rip offs but, drat if I don't really enjoy the new Attic album, The Invocation. You stream the entire album here... HAIL SATAN!!!

I know this is a few pages back, but goddamn, Attic rules. The best Fate worship I've yet to hear.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Okay, so Manowar announced their US tour dates, and the closest they will be to me is Chicago, 8 hour drive.

I am going to be buying tickets the second they go on sale this friday, and am going to be looking at reserving a hotel room.
I am currently trying to convince my friend to make the drive up there, but he has a newborn son, so I don't know if that is going to happen. I am going to be picking up two tickets just in case.

Anyone else planning on hitting Manowar at Chicago?

I'm thinking about the Chicago show, but that's about $100 for a ticket. It will be so bad, but so awesome.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

sleepingbuddha posted:

That's insane. I saw them at a small club in the NW Chicago suburbs in 1997 for $15. It was a great show, Eric kept grabbing women from the front row and pulled them on stage so he could make out with them.

Was that with Immortal? I saw Manowar and Immortal in Aurora (I think) quite a while back, not sure the year.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Father_Johann posted:

I mean, you could do that, or you could stay home and taser your own ears and nipples?

It really was a tough decision, but I don't have a taser, which forced me to buy the tickets.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well, don't take too long to think about it . That place only holds 1600. I bought two soon As they went on sale. I expect it to be sold out pretty soon.

No doubt, a couple of friends held a gun to my head, my ticket is purchased.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

m-o-o-n posted:

Oh my god the autotune on the new Skull Fist album. What the gently caress were they thinking

As someone that loved the first one, I'm inclined to say that about the whole album.

Its not terrible I suppose, but its a far cry from the first album.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

dxt posted:

Drink at practice so you can play live drunk.

This is how you do it.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

So, as much as it pains me, I will be unable to attend Saturday nights Manowar Chicago Concert. The Tickets are Will Call. If anyone can tell me a way of having someone else pick them up, I got two tickets that I would rather someone use. No charge.

Could be rough there tonight with metal so loud it cracks the beams.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local/chicago_news&id=9424454

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

AgentJotun posted:

How are the Manowar guys aging? Can Eric Adams still sing at 61? Also I mainly lurk the metal thread but when I do post its usually to remind everyone that the first 4 Manowar albums are some of the best metal ever recorded!

They, particularly Eric, LOOK really old. They still put on a fantastic show and sounded great.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdfFqiRonO8

Oh my god, why haven't I listened to this in months? The bass rules! Also the story is the best thing ever.

Yea that first Hibria is incredible. So much with the guitar and bass heroics. The new one is great too. The middle couple are rough.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

MrBling posted:

Artillery is a fantastic and under appreciated thrash metal band.

Mortal Sin is another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4OuXmUjbs0

Can't believe I've never heard artillery. Great stuff!

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Gamma Nerd posted:

You need to listen to Hibria's first 2 albums and Pharaoh's discog in that case. The more heavy/speed influenced side of power metal will be your poo poo if you like Lost Horizon and BG. Lost Horizon are, like, my favorite (non-extreme) metal band ever, partially because I can't really find much stuff like them at all.

I've personally been discovering that I can't stop listening to Reckoning Night. And yet almost nothing else from Sonata's discography is remotely enjoyable. :raise:

Agreed, add hibria s new album to that list too.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I hadn't heard the newish Battle Beast album yet.

Not as awful as I thought it would be, but then again I really like Hybria and Katana.

Curious... Does this band have a female singer? If so, am I imagining things or does she sound like blackie from wasp?

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Nordick posted:

Alright guys, pack your poo poo, thread's closing. They've determined the best metal bands of all time, our work here is finished.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/14/25-best-metal-bands-time-1-manowar/

What a perfect choice for best metal band of all time. That's some prime trolling.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Dirtballer posted:

Interested to know what is everyone's favourite gig they went to this year? Personally it's Behemoth at the Forum in London a couple of weeks ago.

King Diamond puts on one hell of a show, easily the best I've been to this year, one of the top shows I've ever been to. Right up there with Maiden .

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Anyone else listen to Foreign Objects at all? Deron Miller (lead singer from cky and foreign objectsw,it's his other band for reference) released a new song and it's pretty good.

https://soundcloud.com/deronmiller/foreign-objects-on-course-to-collide-rough-mix

Sounds like Megaman music. It's solid.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

Cobra Commander posted:

I've seen Putrid Pile like 7 or 8 years ago at a small show with at most 25 people in attendance including the other bands. It's just dude with his guitar and a mic and drum machine. Fuckin awesome.

The pile is great! He would even play your birthday party if you asked him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003

symbolic posted:

But late to the "Speed of Light" hype train, but whatever.

The song itself was a good, solid slab of NWOBHM. I liked it, even if it's a bit different than pretty much every Iron Maiden album since Powerslave. I actually love the albums chocked full of 9-minute long rockers (especially Brave New World and Somewhere in Time), but I still enjoyed this song. The video was also odd, but in the best way possible. Sort of the video game equivalent of RHCP's "Dani California" music video. I didn't expect the song to fit with the video, but it did really well.

Overall, great song, great video, great way to hype Book of Souls.

Sounds like Maiden is doing another no prayer for the dying to me.