Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gr31lly posted:

Oh and if anyone wants an album that's modern, but very much heavy/speed/power metal then look no further than the new Portrait.

Most people will batter on about the King Diamond/Mercyful Fate influences, but this new album really smacks more of Iron Maiden and NWOBHM in general as well as 80s power/speed to me.
The really remarkable thing is that there's a good band on Metal Blade that doesn't have Harry Conklin in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Speaking of WITTR-style black metal, I was reading up on the Canadian prog band Fen and I happened upon a cute little album called The Malediction Fields by another band of the same name. Here's the opening track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5BpEMKGPSQ

I haven't listened to BM in a long time, so I'm not the best guy to draw comparisons, but it sounds like equal parts WITTR, Alcest, and Agalloch. I'm mighty impressed.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 7, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hammer Floyd posted:

Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?
I'm late to this party but Once Sent is their only really great album (mostly courtesy of one Mr. Martin Lopez on drums)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I "get" Anthrax, people praise them as some thrash gods but the poo poo I hear is so weak. Especially on vocals, it just takes me right out of everything. They loving suck. I prefer stuff more along the lines of Sodom, Overkill, Razor, etc.
Fistful of Metal is the only thing to listen to, really, but it goes without saying that S.O.D. left behind a much better legacy than Anthrax did.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Turk February posted:

If you're going to listen to metal from Colorado, you cannot discount Execration.
It's never too late to continue the Satan's Host blowjob festival

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'm actually going to recommend Tokyo Tales as a survey expedition of their older work. It's easily one of the best metal live albums ever released.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Drifter287 posted:

Of course, neither has When Sorrow Sang, which is objectively the best Blind Guardian song :colbert:
Incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB2umDrG4T0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Defiant Sally posted:

What I like about Cynic is that no matter how much different they are now from Focus, it still sounds like Cynic.
Only because Malone, Reinert and Masvidal already did all these things in Aeon Spoke and Gordian Knot. Honestly, this sounds more like a mashup of those two bands than Cynic, with a little bit of Pure Reason Revolution thrown in for reasons I don't totally understand.

I'm still saying it's great, by the way. :)

Edit: And Sean Reinert always sounded a lot like Bill Bruford, but holy crap this track

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 13, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

postmodern tom waits

I don't see how rote emulation of Johnny Cash right after he died and his music was everywhere constitutes some kind of musical evolution

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 20, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Morbid Florist posted:

Playing blues isn't emulating johnny cash
are you loving kidding me or are we listening to different vocal tracks right now

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

Well in more positive news, the new Iced Earth album is pretty drat good.

I was really loving stoked when I heard Barlow was coming back to the band, which of course made me all the more disappointed when Crucible of Man came out and turned out to be bland and mediocre as hell. So disappointed in fact that I barely shrugged when I heard Barlow had left again.

But this new album? drat, this is actually good. And the new guy Stu Block actually sounds so much like Barlow that it's all like The Dark Saga and Something Wicked This Way Comes all over again. I loving approve.
Having seen Stu Block a few times with Into Eternity (including once with Iced Earth) I was really surprised to hear how good his baritone vocals sound. I'm a little split on the songwriting on this album -- it's a little too Dark Saga for my tastes -- but there's no doubt that there's an energy on this album that hasn't been there in over a decade and this is probably the strongest Iced Earth lineup since the Horror Show tour.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 21, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If bands from 5-10 years ago like Behold... The Arctopus and Blotted Science are suddenly a different genre than they've been, it's not a real genre

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 22, 2011

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ThePutty posted:

If you're Australian, Soundwave is looking pretty horrible, aside from a few bands here and there. You'd probably get more out of going to a club that plays metal.
Aside from Mastodon I'm genuinely surprised that all of the other top-ten bands are still playing shows

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Capilarean posted:

Is there anything like !T.O.O.H!?
I'm not really a fan of grindcore/deathgrind/whatever the gently caress you want to call that but the way they mix the grindy clusterfucks with riffs and solos that wouldn't feel out of place on an Iron Maiden album really appeals to me somehow.
The vocals certainly help too,I never was fond of straight-up growling and the manic way the guy sings really fits in well.
Augury is probably the closest I can think of, but they're not very close.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Not Very Metal posted:

This is very important. I bought a Carpathian Forest t-shirt from a Totally Legit E-Bay store, and the screen on the front is a solid 2 inches off center.
My old drummer showed up to practice a few years ago totally stoked that his Images and Words tour shirt that he bought on eBay finally showed up.

It says "DREAM THEATHER" on the back.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MoreMetalBrian posted:

For the Death recommendations, I'll throw out Obscura, Augury, and Necrophagist. Goddammit, the new Necrophagist needs to come out. What's the hold up!?
Jari Mäenpää won't get out of the studio's control room

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I don't think a show to commemorate the anniversary of the dude's death is in poor taste exactly

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Haggins posted:

I hear more poo poo about the anniversary of Dime's death than I do 9-11 every year.
9/11 has less meta-conversations about how people are sick to death of hearing about it.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's probably something to do with the way he died, rather than the fact that he was a musician who died. How many Pete Steele memorial concerts have there been this year? Not many I would imagine.
I can think of the Halloween show in PA, but Type O Negative's fanbase is a shitload smaller than Pantera's (and their fans are generally unmotivated and apathetic by selection bias).

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I got to see them play this at what I think was their first-ever headlining show in the US (one-off on the Lamb of God tour), and Janne Wirman snapped a key on his keyboard playing this solo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

Might also wanna give Black Sun Aeon a go. Another band by Tuomas Saukkonen who also runs Before the Dawn and Dawn of Solace. Seriously, that guy is mind-bogglingly productive.
This guy sounds obsessed with the sun and events involving the sun.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I haven't found a pile of metal albums I really enjoyed this year, but I do need to name All Pigs Must Die's God Is War as my album of the year. Crusty without being sloppy, aggressive as poo poo and really well-constructed all around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM2RL9wzu48

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Wyzt posted:

Any time I ever see one, some huge guy levels em within seconds.
When I went to see Carnivore back around '06, there were these little scene kids swinging their fists around an empty venue while the opener played. Some 6'4" dude who looked like he could have been Peter Steele's distant Puerto Rican cousin obviously got annoyed by this, and started circle-pitting around them by himself and had this look of sublime glee on his face as he just started throwing them into each other until they got out of the pit.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

bronin posted:

I don't understand the hate for lamb of god. Seriously I don't. Do you have to hate them because they are big? (in the US at least. Not over here in Europe)
Especially Randy Blythe is one of the reasons I really like them. He can do the deep growls and high screams and is recognizable, unlike 90% of all DM or BM vocalists.
I also don't really see the pantera thing...
As for the production: I don't really see anything wrong with it :confused: It's certainly nowhere near "Death Magnetic" compression wise.
Sterile, timing-corrected metronome production coupled with mediocre songwriting, mostly.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Man, I remember those guys when they were DragonHeart, their logo was in the Diablo font, and they were distributed through MP3.com. This discussion is making me feel old. :(

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Packard Goose posted:

I had my metal cred called into question when Necrophagist shirts started showing up at Hot Topic. I was so pissed that somehow, Necrophagist became trendy to in-a-box kids that shop at Hot Topic. I still like them for their stupidly technical seven string guitar, and their lyrics smack of Carcass' style with medical and disease influences.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BSchlang posted:

Silent Scream is about as pro-life as a metal song can be (and as metal as a pro-life song can be).
Incorrect on both counts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE8HUugDJbM

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 5, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Oxiplegatz's Sidereal Journey is a beautiful trainwreck.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Other things that come to mind:

Augury - Concealed
Set Carl Sagan's Cosmos to a progressive death metal album and you'll end up with this loving masterpiece.

Dol Ammad - Star Tales
Incredibly pretentious Greek symphonic operatic electronic metal that sounds like if Therion did a collaboration with the composer who did all of Namco's Tales RPGs.

Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse
Luca Turilli is best known as the guitarist for Rhapsody, but he released an album th

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

The chick said Ozzy's mind was basically fried. And that was over a decade ago.
Ah, someone else in denial about their age who doesn't realize that The Osbournes premiered on MTV ten years ago.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Cannibal Corpse may be my favorite band to see live. They play every song perfectly live and the sound is always good. Corpsegrinder was an excellent choice as a new frontman.
"New"? He's been with the band almost three times as long as Chris Barnes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

quote:

Ex-Mudslide Frontman the great Steve Thunderbolt seeks a talented bassist and drummer to form a new heavy metal band. I play rhythm and lead guitar and sing. I play thrash, black, and glam metal. The only band in the history of heavy metal who has ever attempted this was Celtic Frost. It failed because they were too much glam and not enough black and thrash metal. I am the other way around, in that I have more black and thrash metal songs than I do glam songs, but I do have blonde hair so I have a glam image. I have a 12 track recorder and have made numerous cds for Mudslide including "Secret Right to Rock and Roll Reloaded," "Dragonfly of Passion," "Hollywood and Vine," "Columbia City Theater Live," "Studio 7 Live," "The Central Saloon Live 1 and 2," "Station 56 Live," "Chai House Live," "Colortura," "Merkava," "Dark Prophet," and our last album, "In My Final Hours." I have a lot of gigging experience and have my own amps and equipment. Please be over 21 and under 45. Alcohol and drugs are fine except for heroin and crack, so if you are into heroin or crack please do not respond to this ad. All races are welcome except for blacks, so if you are black, pleae do not respond to this ad. I am not racist, it is a drug issue and a safety issue and I cannot have black people at my house. I live in Issaquah and use my house as a practice space. So if you wanna do something that's only been attempted once before in the entire history of music, email mudsliderock@gmail.com or call 425-306-****. Belive me, where Celtic Frost failed, I will succeed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

thepitgoddess posted:

Pretty sure this is satire too, or at least a joke. Like the universenumberfive and tyrannyoftradition blogs that everyone has been reposting all over facebook, even though it's obviously satire. :P
http://wewhoareabouttodie.com/2012/02/11/mudslide-is-real/

I think I actually get more disappointed when it's not satire

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

If this guy is a troll he's got Andy Kaufman dedication to his craft

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Meclin posted:

besides Malmstein
Ezekiel Jonathan Malmstein

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Captain Cancer posted:

I really loving love 'Murder' by Katatonia, but not really the rest of their songs from what I've heard. Anything else like Murder I should seek out (by any band)? The music at the beginning/end of the track is just magnificent.

EDIT: Seems the answer was "Agalloch"
Daylight Dies.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Well, at least Tony Kakko and Tuomas Holopainen are back to trying to one-up each other again.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DEAR RICHARD posted:

This quiz popped up on Facebook. I somehow only got half right.

Rick Santorum quote or Dave Mustaine lyric/quote
http://motherjones.com/media/2012/02/rick-santorum-heavy-metal-megadeth-quiz
I'm actually kind of sad for Dave Mustaine that I got 80%.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The Clit Avoider posted:

A small sample of why Canada rules extremely hard when it comes to metal.
You've got some loving impeccable taste in thrash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Yawn, more boring shred poo poo from Jeff Loomis

Killsion posted:

Thoughts on Flourishing? Been listening to The Sum of All Fossils and I'm loving it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJrcrymMOok

Bands like these are the best thing to happen to death metal in ages. They make the genre listenable again.
They have some really great flow between the parts indiscriminately ripped out of Kénôse and the parts indiscriminately ripped out of Seepia, it sounds like it's right out of 2005

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 12, 2012