Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

my bony fealty posted:

what are your favorite metal sellout failure albums. there's The Unspoken King but that one just makes me sad.
Hypocrisy's Catch 22 is an absolutely garbage album but the songs all came across really fun live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I think I repost this video every few years, but can we just talk again about how amazing the video for Einherjer's "Ironbound" is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpGjUQD_Zs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MrBling posted:

That seems very on point, considering Nevermore is extremely boring too.
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think something like 10% of your posts are making sure Nevermore gets poo poo-talked when someone mentions them

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I clicked this absolutely not expecting this level of Mercyful Fate worship

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Getting very good Rengeteg vibes off of this

e: speaking of, pretty impressed that Thy Catafalque have their fourth full-length since October 2015 coming out next week

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Katatonia dropped a new track from their upcoming album and it feels like there's a circle here where VOLA wrote "Ruby Pool" patterned after Katatonia, and then Katatonia wrote this thing patterned after VOLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGvZhRFBQ_I

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cryptic Shift's Visitations from Enceladus dropped last week and it's got some pretty sick Artificial Brain meets Vektor vibes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lurLrK1RFYs

Bandcamp

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

instead of slow you should go fast
yes, but with this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP8YfOSu2Dc

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

this is somehow the least metal gender reveal video i've ever seen

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

None of you fuckin assholes told me Alarum released an album last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_fHiiQsiOs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Nordick posted:

I was thinking that too, but it seems like the reason is something rather more trivial:

Kinda weird to do that poo poo in the middle of a tour with such a terse announcement, so idk.
I'm still so cynical from Stratovarius' obvious publicity stunts with Timo Tolkki/Miss K. back in the mid-aughts that I can never take announcements like this seriously. Somewhere, there's a PR company advising the band to not say anything about what happened so fans will continue to speculate, discuss, and engage with their brand online

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Sorry, no, best Christian metal album was unquestionably this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrdJRXqICE

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I somehow never heard this album before, but it sure feels like Edge of Sanity's Crimson cribbed a couple vocal lines from this track

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I just booked a voice lesson with Tim Aymar from Control Denied and it's pretty much the most intimidating thing I've ever done in my entire life

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hog Fell on Me posted:

Really interested to hear about this. Honestly, it’s such a cool time we live in, ie that taking lessons from “famous” musicians is a thing that you can do (“famous” in the sense of our own sub-subgenre nerdery)
One lesson in, he's a cool guy but also a pretty by-the-book teacher, and I'm not sure if I'm digging the vibe yet. I also booked a lesson with Adon Fanion from Ghost Ship Octavius to try a different approach, and see which one I like better and want to continue with. Gonna meet with him midweek.

I wasn't looking to do anybody subgenre-famous honestly, it just works out that metal voice teachers are so hard to come by that you end up with name-brand people as often as not.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

One lesson in, he's a cool guy but also a pretty by-the-book teacher, and I'm not sure if I'm digging the vibe yet. I also booked a lesson with Adon Fanion from Ghost Ship Octavius to try a different approach, and see which one I like better and want to continue with. Gonna meet with him midweek.

I wasn't looking to do anybody subgenre-famous honestly, it just works out that metal voice teachers are so hard to come by that you end up with name-brand people as often as not.
Update: Adon is loving great, awesome vibe, a lot of energy. Guy had me belting while on the floor doing situps to demonstrate something about the diaphragm. Would recommend 1000%

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Gorilla Radio posted:

Besides Drudkh, what are some good Ukrainian bands I can support by giving money to?
what the gently caress are you trying to accomplish?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cursed thought: Weezer's "Buddy Holly" is a major key track off of Katatonia's Discouraged Ones album, down to the vocal production

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vargatron posted:

I found yet another Quebecois tech death outfit today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBqI06MaHok

Kind of have a neoclassical vibe on this track with the main riff.
I'm not big into metal gatekeeping these days, but wow, this production is approaching chiptunes

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hulk Krogan posted:

Unforgiven 3 is actually a pretty solid song that gone dirty by the absolutely stupid title, IMO.

All Nightmare Long rules and I feel like in retrospect, you can kinda hear it's where James started figuring out how to use his head voice (or whatever the actual singing technique it's called) to be able to do the more aggressive high notes again, which he's been doing a ton since.
song would have been better if not for the absolutely intolerable titular line and James singing "or are you unforgiven 3"

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hog Fell on Me posted:

I'll admit I haven't kept up with their last couple of albums but the "tech thrash" tag really threw me for a loop. They've always done a lot of genre-hopping but I've always kind of considered them a trad/heavy band at heart with forays into prog and doom. That being said, listening to the new single is pretty wild because yeah, there's a tech thrash vibe for sure.

Honestly didn't know they were putting out a new album, it sounds like they were put in a lovely situation where Metal Blade basically passed on it and dropped them so they had to go the self-release route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnV__nZLiiQ
The latest album gives me a huge Hangman's Hymn/Scenes from Hell era Sigh vibe in a number of places, especially across the whole first track

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Cannibal Corpse actually released their best album last year, somehow.
I remember a lot of people saying this in 2006, 18 years into their career. Wild.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Pickles posted:

Idk looks its one of these things you see on the internet which actually never happened.
Dear Penthouse,

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Anyone recognize what this track is lifted from/inspired by?

https://youtu.be/gi6cRnVVMk0

It’s some kind of metal, I know that, but the bands and riffs it reminds me of escape me. Definitely not the later, darker, more doom-y metal as far as I can tell. I don’t think it’s thrash either.
I was going to comment that this kind of reliance on pedal tone was really very common among NES action games around the 1988-1992 period. I nearly referenced the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, then dug a little and saw that Tsukasa Masuko was actually doing the NES sound driver programming for Tecmo at the time, so that's probably not a coincidence. Their audio engine made these kinds of compositions sound good.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if this was lifted from anything directly. Japan was just picking up early visual kei bands like X [Japan] and Seikima-II, and they were characterized by a lot more dynamics and interesting stuff happening on the guitar. This sounds kinda like a sound programmer with 6 months of guitar lessons noodling around on a $100 Ibanez and translating their riffs onto a 2A03

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Philthy posted:

And they'll save your ears. hosed one of mine last summer.. Now when I cough I hear crackling.
IANAO: This probably originates in the eustachian tube(s) and is very unlikely to be related to noise-related hearing injury. If you have a TMJ disorder—maybe you find that tensing your jaw eases your tinnitus—that's much more proximate to the kind of problem you're describing

that said, hell yeah fuckin' earplugs

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Anyone got any recommendations for doom metal with great vocals? I've been revisiting Below's first album this week and I'm digging the vocal style, this incredible Messiah Marcolin melody writing with delivery that sits somewhere between Rob Lowe, Adon Fanion, and Mats Leven

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Thanks a lot for the recs, y'all have given me a lot of great stuff to listen to!

Groke posted:

My brother in doom, have you listened to Procession?
I have now! I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't delivery so close to Tomi from Amorphis.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Messa album from last year.
Nice, her style reminds me a lot of mid-'90s Anneke van Giersbergen.

Nice, definitely got that Mats Levén kind of sound, like his work on Therion's Lemuria/Sirius B. I'm sad that they went so lo-fi with the EQ trying to capture that classic metal sound, because I really want to hear more of this guy's voice in the mix. Looks like he's got a dozen other bands, though.

I wasn't into this at first—he sounds like a doom metal Chester Bennington—but these vocals are really growing on me. He's taking this tonality that I've only really heard tenor metal singers get, and pulling it way down into the baritone range. It takes a ton of control to mix that breathiness into a belt in the low end. There's a bunch of different musculatures that go into these different styles of breath support, and he just switches between them like a classical guitarist doing chord changes. Impressive diversity of vocal sounds between the tracks on this album.

Doomsword fuckin' rules but let's be honest about the vocals, they're like an immaculately constructed Homercar

Solefald posted:

This!

They're playing near me next month and I haven't been this stoked for a gig in ages!

If you're into Candlemass then Avatarium is good, especially their self Titled. This was a banger last year too.
https://youtu.be/I36kTvu4yNM
Hell yeah, extremely Pamela Moore

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 19, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

I wonder if something happened where they put that out then got in trouble so they put some random ghoul with a 90s filter.
Earache reissued the album with a Marvel-themed cover after the band asked them, please no, do not put the loving comic book man on the album

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I think the self-production on the last two albums has been great, and I'm really glad to have Jens Bogren out of the way, but I do think he did a better job producing Jonas's vocals than the band has been able to capture independently on the past couple of releases. It's not just lacking dynamics in some key spots, but it's EQed wrong to the point of sounding scratchy in places.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

antimatter is stupid and dumb for the attoseconds that it exists, but it's cool when it annihilates matter

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

henpod posted:

If you guys like soulfly-ish tribal metal, these guys seem pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crklp_mUeFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX66TtJtNXM

Any other bands with cool tribal drums, flutes and so on?
way in the prog-power vein but try Myrath if you like that kind of heavily syncopated percussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLXqG_WKcFU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OYyCHfeWZ0

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

This is a cool new release from a bunch of people I've never heard of before, rare for power metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ydce6Euspk

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 9, 2023

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I saw Iced Earth weeks after 9/11, right before Barlow left, cut his hair and became a cop.
he was twelve feet tall and his voice came from three places at once. absolutely unreal

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Frustratingly, the late 1997/early 1998 lineup of In Flames reformed with Mikael Stanne on vocals and released an album last year, and even that kind of sucked

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i liked it a lot
It had three or four good tracks on it, but they should have released it at an EP and gone back for the full album when they had better. Most of the tracks sounded like B-sides from the last couple Dark Tranquillity records

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

deadking posted:

Instead of pining for a band that has sucked for 2+ decades to turn it around I suggest people check out this Majesties track. It has members of Obsequiae and takes a lot of queues from early In Flames:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8LGyFtrVv8
yeah, big Lunar Strain/Terminal Spirit Disease vibes across this, thanks for posting it

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I'll fund a taxi for Jari to get to a provider for an ADHD diagnosis

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

yeah, given the black speed moniker, I'm surprised how much Dissection I'm hearing, mostly in the vocals but sometimes also in the guitar

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Fredrik from Anata has been hinting on Facebook at a new album release coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Finally got around to that Ulthar drop, and I'm always down for bands shamelessly aping Demilich