Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
If I found a karaoke place that had the entire Nightfall in Middle Earth, I would destroy my vocal cords.

NEVER TURN YOUR BACK ON FRIENDS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
More great metal covers chat:

Satyricon - I Got Erection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRyo-lZ4ZQ

Behemoth - I Got Erection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozCh6_PrHOQ

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Listen to Nightfall in Middle Earth every day forever. Others that come to mind: Kamelot's Epica + Black Halo (sick album), the entire discography of Bal-Sagoth (The Splendor of a Thousand Swords Gleaming Beneath The Blazon of the Hyperborean Empire), Rhapsody (The Cold Embrace of Fear, Symphony of Enchanted Lands, or anything really), Pain of Salvation (Remedy Lane), Sabaton (Carolus Rex), Trollfest (Brumblebassen), Turisas (The Varangian Way), that's about the best extent of the story metal I got. Bal-Sagoth might be up your alley, they kind of own and have an awesome fantasy metal vibe in addition to their recurring characters.

Bal-Sagoth - The Chronicle of Shadows https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bTUob8EfrE

Edit:
Bal-Sagoth also comes with liner notes like this to give you a flavor:

quote:

[From the journal of Professor Caleb Blackthorne III, discovered May 1899, near the great Temple at Tiahuanaco, Peru:
23 September: 1893
Upon extensive examination of the nefarious arcane codex known as The Epsilon Exordium, I believe my search may at last be drawing to a close.
Indeed, I feel that perhaps the great discovery which has eluded me for so long may finally be within my grasp.
And yet I must be cautious, for twice more have I seen the figures in the night, watching me in silence from the confines of the darkness.
I cannot discern their features, only that they are vaguely human in shape, save for their arms which seem abnormally long and oddly jointed.
My native guides are becoming increasingly agitated and skittish, babbling incoherently about the guardians of the tombs... citing legends from their ancestral past which speak of mysterious travellers who reputedly came down from the stars in great silvern chariots drawn by steeds of flame.
At any rate, I have my trusted Martini-Henry .45 calibre breech-loader should these silent stalkers prove malign and ever deign to lay hold of me in the night.
I have at last translated the carvings on the stone fragment I unearthed amidst the ruins of Angkor Wat.
To my astonishment, I found that it predated the construction of the temple itself by countless thousands of years, and that it spoke of the same subject as did the hieroglyphs I beheld on the wall of the concealed chamber which I and Lord Blakiston discovered within the Great Pyramid in Egypt.
Successive examinations of the edifices at Giza and Karnak revealed further parallels too precise to be mere coincidence.
The pieces of this great cosmic puzzle are finally beginning to fall into place...

2 October: 1893
Yes, it is as I suspected.
I have long felt that the Sumerians of Mesapotamia were among the first peoples to attain elucidation concerning the dread matter I pursue.
My excavations at Lagash, Eridu, and most notably the ziggurats at Ur, have revealed truths which subsequent finds at Angkor, Egypt and Sacsahuaman only serve to consolidate.
I now know that the Olmechs, the Aztecs and the Mayans were also undeniably key tendrils of this grand global web,
and the unnerving truth I hitherto felt compelled to deny now seems inexorably to point to some grand and terrifying universal axiom.
It seems however, that the closer I come to enlightenment, the greater the danger becomes. Last night, one of our expedition's chief guides disappeared without trace.
His native compatriots could find no tracks, nor offer any evidence of his departure to suggest that his superstitions had finally compelled him to abandon the party... the man seems simply to have vanished inexplicably into the oppressive, sweltering dark.
In light of the disappearance, I opted not to inform the group that during the darkling hours before sunrise last night I had peered from my tent to behold what I perceived to be three of the shadowy figures I have previously described moving furtively in the gloom, keeping ever just out of the illuminatory radias of our campfire.
By the time I had brought my rifle to bear, they had melted away into the fathomless shadows of the benighted jungle...]

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Nov 22, 2013

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Here's a funny interview by Evan Linger from Skeletonwitch.

Text for people who hate clicking on things:

quote:

Skeletonwitch’s Evan Linger on the annoying positivity of Barenaked Ladies’ “One Week”
By Marah Eakin Nov 28, 2013 • 12AM
In HateSong, we ask our favorite musicians, writers, comedians, actors, and so forth to expound on the one song they hate most in the world.

The hater: BassistEvan “Loosh” Linger joined epic Ohio thrash band Skeletonwitch in 2008, about five years after the group’s inception. The band has released three excellent albums since, including the new Serpents Unleashed, which is out now on Prosthetic Records. Imbued with humor, riffs, and intense amounts of satanic energy, Serpents is the kind of massive record that can help tamp down the rage and anxiety that usually arises around the holidays, when endless mall hours can produce spontaneous outbursts that lean more towards naughty than nice. Get in the car, turn the heat up, listen to Serpents Unleashed full blast, and exorcise that hostility. Skeletonwitch will tour the States in January of next year.

The hated: Barenaked Ladies, “One Week” (1998)

The A.V. Club: Why is “One Week” your least favorite song?

Evan Linger: I did a lot of soul searching on this one. There are a lot of songs I hate, because I’m naturally a hater. I just hate this one the most. In the late ’90s, music really took a turn for the worse, grasping at the straws of all this alternative music. So there’s stuff like Sugar Ray—those songs, they’re so bad. Hootie And The Blowfish: terrible. Blues Traveler: terrible. But those are rock songs. At least someone was trying. “One Week” wasn’t even a rock song. It’s a weird college-rock song with some rap in it, and it doesn’t even qualify as music. It’s sort of like a big joke, so that’s why I picked it.

AVC: People seemed to like this song less the longer it was out.

EL: Yeah, it was one of those you couldn’t escape no matter how much you hated it or liked it. It was always on the radio. It’s not just bad; it’s insidious and invasive.

AVC: What is it specifically that you don’t like about it?

EL: It’s the weird rap, and it’s some of the particular lyrics to the rap. Like I said before, it’s a college-rock song until the rap starts and I don’t like college rock. Plus, it’s Barenaked Ladies, and they’re the total package. They did the theme for that Big Bang Theory show and that show is terrible. Every other song they have is terrible. Have you ever seen the video?

AVC: Who hasn’t?

EL: The video is terrible. Every time I look at the band I want to fight them or something. I know there’s the two main guys and one had a goatee and one had a weird fishbowl fat head. I don’t like the song, but it makes me mad just to think about the video.

AVC: What is it in particular that you don’t like about the late ’90s?

EL: The ’90s had some bands that I didn’t love, but it’s more about how you have these late-’80s/early-’90s bands like Soundgarden and Pearl Jam and the kind of alternative thing starting to get big, and that’s when I started to realize music was a thing. I was into some of those bands, but I was a little young to go to those shows. But then as the ’90s wore on, nobody thought of anything different. You still had this kind of alternative thing going on, and it was becoming more watered-down and radio-friendly. It got really diluted, so at the end of the ’90s, you had that Sugar Ray song “Fly” and the Barenaked Ladies song, and Alanis Morissette, and even more radio-friendly alternative stuff that was total crap but trying to be alternative music.

AVC: Some of those songs sounded like they came out of a lab. Having talked to Ed Robertson from Barenaked Ladies, though, I don’t think this song is one of those.

EL: They did something on NPR. I don’t know if they were on “Fresh Air” or something like that, but it made it worse because they seemed like okay guys. It’s funny that you’ve actually talked to one of them. Maybe they’re okay guys, but they committed a real heresy as far as music goes. I wonder if they know that, and I wonder if they can sleep at night. I wonder if they still think it’s cool to play that song live. They’re just on another loving planet than the one I live on.

AVC: Canada.

EL: Yeah, that’s another thing. They’re Canadian. I love Canada and there are awesome bands in Canada and I love playing up there and I’d move there in a second. It’s awesome. Everything about Canada is awesome except Barenaked Ladies. They’re an insult to the region, I would say.

AVC: Reading the lyrics to a song is never really a good idea, because they always read so flat and lifeless, but the lyrics for this song are especially lovely. They’re so of a moment.

EL: I wholeheartedly agree. It’s also embarrassing that when I read them, I know them. It’s like a Mad Lib where, if they left out some of the verbs and nouns, I could probably fill them in. In fact, in preparation for this interview, I was soul-searching for the song that brings up the most black hate in me, and it was obviously the Barenaked Ladies song. So I watched the video a few times and read the lyrics to keep my power up so I was extra angry for a good interview. I read the lyrics for three days, I think.

AVC: Barenaked Ladies seems like the polar opposite to Skeletonwitch.

EL: I don’t think we have anything in common. I hope we don’t have anything in common. If we do, maybe we’ll just throw in the towel.

AVC: Sometimes when we do these stories, commenters say, “Of course they picked this song. It’s the easiest song in the world to hate.” This one is going to get that response.

EL: I actually couldn’t think of anything in the beginning. There are a lot of bad songs, so you kind of have to narrow it down to a time period. With the age I am, I picked the ’90s. I think some of the stuff from that era… If you listen to a Nirvana album, does it hold up? Some of it probably doesn’t hold up, but it’s still really genuine and it’s kind of dark and kind of angry. I play in a metal band, so I’m a huge fan of black metal and can really get behind things that are dark and moody and angry and angsty. So, with “One Week,” I end up thinking about of how jovial the song is. It’s like they’re laughing in your face when they sing, like they know they’re singing a really bad song but they’re just shoving it in your face. Like, “We know you’re going to hate it. In your face!” It’s almost insulting when I listen to it.

AVC: To play devil’s advocate, what’s wrong with fun music? What’s wrong with having a good time?

EL: Nothing. We definitely have a good time when we’re up on stage. That’s one thing that separates us from the European black metal bands, because they’re not smiling when they play music. We do smile because we’re having a good time. There’s definitely not anything wrong with having fun with it. I just think “One Week” is so upbeat that it seems like a song that you’d write if nothing ever went wrong in your life. Like, if you never got a flat tire or a hangnail or anything like that, those would be the lyrics to your song.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Yeah Bal-Sagoth has what you want, sans the dragons. Atlantis Ascendant is a good album to start with.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
According to legend, you can still hear the echoes a la Lammoth.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
You just missed Alestorm's North American headliner debut dawg, it was a sick show. (Alestorm puts on a fun live show, but Trollfest is literally the best band ever)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I'm totally the opposite, I can never see enough Korpiklaani.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Morbid Florist posted:

Black Flag - Damaged could do the trick too

Hell yeah, this owns for workouts (Rise Above: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHR-rzUjCzU)

Also I wish the US had equivalents to the big outdoor metal festivals. Every time I see a poster like this, I get insanely jealous of people in the EU:

Edit- Also thanks to whoever was/were talking about Inquisition earlier and put me onto this band. Been progressively going through their discography over the past couple of days and they loving own.

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 21, 2014

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Yeah, I'm digging this Behemoth going full Satan

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Von Sloneker posted:

For some reason Keldian is doing an AMA on Reddit, like, now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/PowerMetal/comments/1wzzi6/keldian_is_here_ama/

I've never listened Keldian but what's a good starting point? I do love me some bombastic power metal a la Sonata Arctica, Luca Turilli/Rhapsody, Hammerfall, etc

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I still get excited about goofy poo poo off of Winterheart's Guild like the Cage, nobody will ever tell me that song doesn't rule.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nzwF3j4Gg4 a.k.a. Wolf Shirt, The Song

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Eh, it was pretty embarrassing but looks like they had fun with it. Take my opinion for what it's worth, I love stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTW30Q4B3Go

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Sounds like something Zargotrhax would say.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Holy poo poo, Inquisition is a 2-person gig? That just made them that much more awesome. My only regret about the Metal Alliance show is that they're playing in Philadelphia on the same day as Sabaton (at a different venue), damnit don't make me choose

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

henpod posted:

I saw a band called Trollfest last night here in London. Absolute madness, and what a party they bring to a small venue.

They had about 7 people with instruments such as a banjo, violin and accordion - and came out dressed in doctors coats and by the end of the night they were dressed like Romans and dinosaurs. The guitarist played his solo whilst crowd surfing, and was in the crowd later, joined by the bassist thrashing in the middle of us all. The vocalist had some kind of vodka-backback with hoses and was spraying into anyone's face who wanted some. They had three different percussion setups (with ducks?), one of which was manned by the vocalist, and the other one had some nutcase who would smash it from time to time in-between running around on stage and acting like a maniac. Music alternated between heavy as all gently caress and that catchy/folky sound.

Finsterforst (who opened for them) suddenly joined us in the crowd and partied was well. What a ridiculously fun show, the above description barely describes the madness. See them if you can.

Trollfest owns, as does pretty much any band that has Troll in the name come to think of it.

Livejournal: I ended up going to the Behemoth/Inquisition/Goatwhore/1349 show and regret missing Sabaton but holy poo poo was that a great lineup. Hail Satan etc

Iceberg-Slim fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 22, 2014

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Did somebody say power metal Wednesday?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ_VFJn2kJM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82paQbF0Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akpEEcFHtug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2p9PsVD9Ho

(Should be Windir Wednesday though)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
As weird as this sounds, my first ever metal band was Korpiklaani. I was Pandora'd on Tempest (who still rule) and came across the song Wooden Pints. Prior to that I listened to a lot of poo poo and nu-metal that I won't fess up to.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Buuuuurning anvil of steel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMwXEUqbiAs

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
New Eluveite track from their upcoming album, click for fiddles and metal: https://soundcloud.com/nuclearblastrecords/eluveitie-king

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Guy rocks out so hard at a Motorhead concert that he gives himself a subdural:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/heavy-metal-hazard/?_php=true&_type=blogs&ref=health&_r=0

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Any other band I would call that ridiculously pretentious, but damnit I need Time II.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Kai Hahto owns and this album will own. I lost track of who their lead singer is though after all the repeated shuffles.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
More Jari chat, here is the follow-up to his previous post where he sets the record strai

quote:

CLEARING FEW THINGS ABOUT MY LAST “REALITY UPDATE”
I feel like I need to explain the situation more clearly as some people seem to be a bit confused. So let´s get more into the details…
Let´s get one thing clear first, I don´t live in a fantasy world. You might say I´m a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to album production. Fine, I´ll give you that. But I do make compromises, lots of them. TIME I was all a huge compromise. The melody guitars are all old modelling amps (not the new Axe-FXs and whatnots which sound pretty decent actually). There simply was not enough budget to record them properly in a professional studio, so they sound pretty horrible and are very hard mix and fit in with the rest of the instruments. The vocals were all recorded in various rehearsal places just with my laptop (the reason why it took so long to record them and also because of the hundreds of vocal tracks I needed to record for these albums). They are certainly not the best quality vocal recordings. Again, another compromise for not having enough budget for a 3rd party professional studio. I also wanted some time to practise my vocals while recording, which I´ve never really done before, but you can hear the improvement. Also I do some of the vocal arrangement work and experiment with different things while recording, this would be impossible in a 3rd party studio. The rhythm guitars were actually recorded in a 3rd party studio, but I didn´t have enough time to craft the sound exactly like I want it. Rhythm guitar is the thing I´m the most perfectionist and passionate about. There´s only a handful of rhythm guitar sounds I like from the millions of heavy metal records out there, so you can imagine how hard it is for me to be able to produce the guitar sound of my dreams in few days in a 3rd party studio. Impossible. And to fit it in with hundreds of orchestration & synth instruments, to not muddy the bass, to be able to scoop the mids so the whole mix doesn't sound like a kitchen radio (I don´t like mids in metal guitars plus the orchestra instruments already eat a lot of the mids space), but still keep the upper mids smooth and not harsh, to not mask the drum overheads, but still having enough modern highs and upper mids attack to have it cut through the mix. This is almost a mission impossible, but I know I could do it in my own time in my own studio... So the time ran out from the studio´s “taximeter” and I was left with unsatisfying guitar sound and very hard to fit in the mix (still had to pay the studio bill though). I was very unhappy about this, but still released the album! The orchestrations were made with just one computer which forced me to use time consuming workarounds and was very stressful. I won´t even get into the technical problems I´ve had to deal with over the years. It took 3 years of sweat and tears to make the orchestrations the way I had to do them. This was the hardest task and it nearly burned me out. Never again this way! I would need a computer farm to do the all the orchestrations in realtime without slow workarounds.

I´ve mixed the albums in my apartment and you ask why it takes so long to mix? Well, because my room is not a professional studio ment for mixing. There´s also always some noise issues inside and outside the building, I´ve had even some scary hearing problems due to this for having to raise the volume and having to mix too loud. Never again! There´s also insane amount of tracks to mix (which is very difficult), but my computer is having hard a time handling them well. Very unstable and slow. But the main thing why the mixing takes so long is because the recorded sounds are pretty crappy due to lack of resources to record them properly. So it´s very hard to "polish a turd", if not impossible. Good sounds would mix themselves! And I won´t even get into other health problems I´ve had due to stress which has slowed the mixing process too (not mental problems, although maybe I´m a bit crazy :P). So again, I simply can´t afford a 3rd party studios to mix in or to record. Not even close. Nuclear Blast gave us just enough budget for only to record the drums, bass and rhythm guitars in 3rd party studio, that´s it. Which all turn out unsatisfying due to lack of time to tweak the sounds right for massive projects like the TIME albums are. That´s why I´ve been struggling with the mixing. All the rest of the instuments, vocals, orchestrations, melody guitars etc... was left up to me to record on my own however possible and getting quality recordings in a "DIY bedroom studio scenario" is not easy. Sure they gave us few additional advances, ´cause we begged them for faster computers and better gear (and all that money has been paid back already), but still not nearly enough for a task like this. The rest have been basically financed by yours truly with touring, merchandise and just simply sacrificing my own time doing lot of workarounds and recording in rehearsal places or where ever I could due to the lack of funding, but I had to make these albums a reality no matter what! But my point is, as you can see, I do make lots of compromises. TIME I is far from perfect, but still released the album! Would a perfectionist do that?

I certainly can make music renting a 3rd party studio for one month and release an album, as I have already proven that many times in the past. But I won´t do that again, that is my decision. I´ve never been happy with those albums and the results I get from 3rd party studios. Waste of money. There simply isn´t enough time (with our budgets) to craft the sounds the way I want them in unfamiliar space with unfamiliar gear, monitors and under the stress of the “studio taximeter" running. It´s usually just, let´s throw a mic there and wish for the best! “We´ll fix it in the mix... maybe!”. Making music makes me happy. The feeling you get when you first get a new idea, a riff, a melody, a vision of the song is a great feeling and you just want to make that vision come out from the speakers exactly like you hear it in your head. Releasing music that doesn't represent that vision and is compromised makes me unhappy. Why continue to do something that makes you unhappy? Those past albums were like demos to me and nothing like the TIME albums or the future material are in their complexity. I just want to get the production right for these albums! I know some people don't care about the production quality that much, but I do. I wouldn´t be able to ever do these albums in 30, 60 or 90 days in a 3rd party studio “like all the other bands do it”. Sorry, but I´m just not that skilled of a human being! I would need to rent a 3rd party studio for a year or two or even three years depending on the project and live there 24/7. But obviously who can afford that? You could invest and build your own studio with that money and make many albums until you die. The main thing that people need to understand is that the TIME albums and my future material are so much more complex to make than my previous albums were and I just can´t continue to do them like I´ve been forced to do them for the past 10 years. I think we´ve all established by now that this isn´t working. You have to also remember, I do these albums basically alone. Produce, record, engineer, sing, play, mix, master, write all the music & lyrics... Who else does that? Anyone in Finland? Anyone in the world? Well maybe Devin Townsend, but he´s loving Devin Townsend! I´m just nobody from Konala, Helsinki.

During these years I´ve been already acquiring studio gear and started doing most of the stuff myself and I love it! I´ve gotta pretty good DAW and monitor setup, so basically I got most of the studio gear already. But there´s still one major thing that is missing and that is the studio space. A place to work without interruptions, where I can crank up guitar amps 24/7, 365 days a year without the neighbors calling the cops, to record and practise my singing everyday, to record drums and so on… Having everything always set up ready to record and to mix night or day in a good mixing room would speed up the whole process immensely. It would be also great for the whole band, ´cause we´d have our own rehearsal room for the first time, sort of “Wintersun headquarters”. This would really free us to make albums much faster with better quality and able us to tour more often, which then would open the possibilities financially to other things like upgrading our live shows, doing ten minute music videos for our long songs, a live DVD maybe even with a real orchestra...

It is a fact that without Nuclear Blast I couldn´t have gotten where I am today and I'm certainly grateful of that, but they have really made the most money of Wintersun. What have I made? Well I´ve gotten some better equipments to do my job which is nice, but I´m still struggling and I´m missing the main pieze of the puzzle, the actual "work place”, which is a huge roadblock to continue forwards. I´m in a dead end. All my money has always gone straight to the album productions. I don´t go on vacations, I don´t have a car or anything fancy, which I´m totally fine with! I work and do these albums basically for free and that would be actually fine with me, if I could do my work at least in good conditions. I´ve been struggling and I´ve sacrificed everything for over 10 years and gotten pretty much nothing out of it, except the love and support of the fans, which I appreciate very much!
But to continue to make more albums, I need my own studio. I´ve had enough making albums in rehearsal places and in a bedroom studios, it just doesn´t work. Enough is enough. I´ve reached the breaking point. I don´t owe Nuclear Blast or anyone anything. I don´t have to make or release albums. I don´t have to release TIME II, if I´m not happy with it. I can make music (demos) just for myself for fun and just show them to my closest friends. Or I can do something else, for example teaching like Kai and Teemu... doing anything else I would actually earn some money. I will continue to always make music like I did before any record deals, but whether I will release the music depends totally whether I can record and mix it properly. I´ve made piece with myself that if I won´t be able to ever release another album again and I have to take my songs to the grave, that is ok with me, but I do not wish it. Nuclear Blast and everyone around me has made profits of Wintersun and all my debts are paid. So no harm done. Where to go from here? The future is unknow.

I must point out that our manager is a really good guy. Always has our best interest at heart, he actually gave me a big personal loan to finish TIME I. I couldn´t have done it without him! He actually renegotiated a better Nuclear Blast deal for me after the TIME I release. I´m actually ok with the new deal. Except for the fact that I can´t make albums, because they won´t fund them enough for me to actually be able to make them and at the same time they are denying me doing a Wintersun crowd funding which probably would finance the studio. So they are really holding us hostage. Our manager actually renounced himself from the crowd funding and won´t have any part in it unless I want his help. He wants to see Wintersun succeed. The problem is still the same though, without enough funding there won´t be Wintersun albums. And I´m pretty sure I would not be able to gather enough finances on my own with just “Jari Mäenpää´s studio crowd funding” without any meaningful perk like TIME II high quality album download for example. It would have to be a big Wintersun campaign with a team of people helping me to realise this dream. But I will try to figure something out, I´m not giving up!
TIME II is now in a good place mixwise. I´m pretty happy with the drums, bass & the orchestrations. The whole thing is sounding so much more powerful and clear than TIME I. Really proud of what I´ve been able to achieve with these “not so perfect" recordings and with the intense orchestra layers. It´s so difficult to mix stuff like this, especially with my mixing conditions. But I won´t ruin the hard work I´ve done so far by throwing a crappy guitar sound on top ruining the whole mix. That´s one compromise I won´t make anymore. And I won´t be spending anymore money for 3rd party studios either. I will save and invest every penny for my own studio. Actually for those who complained not hearing the guitars enough on TIME I, the guitars were left purposely little bit back in the mix, because they were so crappy. Or those who critized the production otherwise, now you know the reason why it wasn´t top notch quality. No money = demo quality. And for those who doubted me having written already 5 albums worth of new material, I´ve written actually more. That was just a conservative estimate.

Bottom line, if people want me to make music and release Wintersun albums, I need enough funding for my personal studio where I can craft my music, record and produce my sounds in piece. It is as simple as that. I can´t make this complex music any other way anymore. I am just one man with limited resources and limited skills. I can´t magically pull albums from thin air. Maybe other bands can do their albums “the usual way” renting a 3rd party studio for one month and are happy with the results, I certainly respect that! I´ve been there, done that. I know that many metal bands have all got their own hardships and I am not certainly underrating anyone´s situation. But every situation is unique and mine certainly is. I´ve seen some comments saying that “You don´t deserve your own studio, because other bands don´t get to have their own studio either and you should just do your music like everyone else does it!”. Would it be somehow bad for the other bands if I would build my own studio? Would it somehow hurt the other bands, if I could make more Wintersun albums in my own way? Or are these comments just based on jealousy or something? “What makes you so special to get your own studio?” Nothing and maybe I don´t deserve it, but that is for the fans & financiers to decide and I know there´s lots of dedicated fans that want to support us! It really isn´t about who deserves what. I´m just saying what I can and can´t do. I have my own way of doing things. Sorry, if my previous update sounded like whining or somehow entitled for some of you, it wasn’t ment to be. I am just trying to illustrate the difficult situation I´m in. I definitely understand the realities of life. The crowd funding was actually suggested and brought to my attention by the fans. In fact people have been wanting donate to us since the debut album, but we don't feel very good about it. We always would like to give something back. That's why we make merchandise for example. I admit that I´m a little bit frustrated with the situation, but I´m fine with whatever outcome. But if someone finds it offensive that I´m looking for funding for my studio project and for the Wintersun albums, then they got some personal problems. Most of the comments have been really encouraging, supportive and positive though and I appreciate that!

Currently I´m negotiating with Nuclear Blast and our manager how we could make this work for all parties… We´ll see if we can work this out.

I certainly hope that we´ll find a solution, so we can release more Wintersun albums and share them with the world. It is my dream and passion to make music and it makes me happy to see that so many people care about Wintersun. I´m very grateful!!! All your supportive posts have given me lot of hope and I´m certainly not quitting the fight!

Thank you and thanks for listening!

Jari

p.s. Everyone enjoying their popcorn?

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Sabaton teaches you stuff about some esoteric military history too, e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_Brown_and_Franz_Stigler_incident

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Fenrir posted:

I already knew about that one, but I didn't know Sabaton made a song about it! What is the song called? I may have missed that one.

From their new album Heroes, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d4Z0FtRI7A Whole album is pretty sick

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Windir Wednesday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WexR6sCqs (Arntor, Ein Windir)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I don't know how I've missed out on this until recently, but I'm totally addicted to this stuff https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y9TsxeWGt0 (Summoning - Old Morning's Dawn)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Alvarez IV posted:

I hate to ask about intangible subjective qualities like this, but what bands are best for evoking the feeling of magic rituals? Not like "sacrifice a virgin on a flaming pentagram drawn in blood" rituals, but closer to "stab the athame into the chalice and dance naked in the woods" rituals. I haven't been huge into metal since I was twelve, but I'm looking for stuff with the feeling of Sabbath, Rainbow, or prison-era Burzum (even though it's not really metal). Zeppelin also counts, although that's less metal than Burzum.

Just in case you changed your mind and wanted to sacrifice a virgin on a flaming pentagram drawn in blood http://vimeo.com/80943193

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Alestorm playing with Trollfest was honestly one of the best shows I went to last year. Wish Gloryhammer would do the U.S. :(

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Welp, it was a matter of time:

quote:

WINTERSUN STUDIO & TIME II CROWD FUNDING SURVEY (Please read first before liking!)

Good news guys! We have reached an agreement with Nuclear Blast. We gotta give them big props for coming through for us! But first, we need to do a little survey to estimate if we could actually reach our crowd funding goal (which is pretty drat high) before we rush into it. We need to estimate carefully our goal, what is possible and what is not before we can move forward with our plans. This is sort of a test run, but this will hopefully determine approximately how much support we would have. We also want to be clear that the crowd funding is not a charity, we are not asking for donations or anything for free. You would totally get your monies worth!

So we would like to know... If we did this crowd funding project, how many of you guys would be willing to pre-order a TIME II High Quality download package? Stem mixes and many other killer goodies would be included in the perk. All details will be revealed later, but this package would be huge, something never done before! Here´s a little taster what the package would include:

TIME II
- High quality full album download (wav 24bit, 44.1kHz), exactly the way the album was recorded, mixed and mastered
- Includes all tracks (Fields of Snow, The Way of the Fire, One with the Shadows, Ominous Clouds, Storm, Silver Leaves)
- Beautiful PDF extended digital booklet with all crowd funding backer names included (optional)

TIME II Stems
- Separated mix tracks for all Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitars, Melody Guitars & Solos, Vocals, Orchestrations of all songs
- Make your own mix, adjust the levels for your own liking, listen all the main instruments separately, discover and learn all the secrets inside the mix layers

But that´s just for starters, this package would include many other items and surprises. We feel very confident about this and trust that you all would go crazy about it! And this package is just the first perk on the list. But this would be our main focus for the campaign.
The price would be very affordable and with the guarantee that 100% of the raised money would go for the funding of our studio and Wintersun´s album productions. This would be your chance of a lifetime to support us directly and get an insane TIME II package for your money at the same time (pun intended!). So win-win! All we want you to do for now is...

Please LIKE this post if you would buy and support us.

Please DO NOT click the LIKE if you would not buy.

AND PLEASE SHARE THIS POST TO EVERYONE!!! Because it's important that all our potential supporters see this post and we get some idea whether there's a chance to reach our goal.

Thanks!

- Wintersun boys
UnlikeUnlike · · Share · 12 hrs
Top Comments
You and 5,967 others like this.
1,492 shares

(edit: that was a sick pun)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Oh gently caress yes. Blind Guardian dump incoming also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_tORtmKIjE (Bard's Song); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuuCxZGW8E (When Sorrow Sang); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nna0-SQPH2o (Lord of the Rings (Live))

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Nordick posted:

So, Nightwish have brought onboard a rather.... interesting guest performer for their upcoming album.

http://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=24733

I'm simultaneously amused as hell and filled with a nameless dread. Already witnessed one fan meltdown over it on Facebook.

This is amazing. What Nightwish has lacked in music over the past few years, they've now more than made up for just now.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Nightwish rules and Sabaton rules, but Delain is so loving boring to listen to. Might have to show up late.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
powermetal.jpg (Rhapsody of Fire announcing a new album)

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Nordick posted:

Alright guys, pack your poo poo, thread's closing. They've determined the best metal bands of all time, our work here is finished.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/14/25-best-metal-bands-time-1-manowar/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwoPWWlrH5E

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

Kvlt! posted:

"What type of music do you like?"

"Forbidden metal" is the best answer

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
I love Devin and think Machine Head is ok in that sort of forget that I'm listening to music and playing a night elf rogue on a free vanilla WoW-server in 2014 kind of music.

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay

b0ner of doom posted:

Gimmick bands are never good, or interesting

What if your gimmick is to be good and interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iceberg-Slim
Oct 7, 2003

no re okay
Trollmetal is the only true and non-gimmicky metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJhi43RntJk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UgqrDnAmts

Goblin metal can gtfo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc