Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Happy Hippo posted:

Pig Destroyer's facebook page was updated with this today.

loving finally. Just hope the new drummer can live up to the band's standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Faceless is out and about . . . honestly I was hoping for something as straightforward as Planetary Duality but this one trends a bit toward prog and maybe a tiny bit of symphonic stuff? Not really sure what to call it. Anyway the technical stuff is still really cool, it's just not what I was expecting

edit: okay yeah there's organ and sax on track 3. :wtf:

emdash fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 10, 2012

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I think he might mean the compilation that just came out--"Molecular Genetics from the Gold Standard Labs"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Cryptopsy is in the wild. I was scared off of ever listening to The Unspoken King by what others said about it, so I don't know the comparison point that well, but this one sounds pretty good to me (not deathcore-y at all to my ears). Lots of cool technical parts. I don't love the vocals but they do the job.

Are the people in this band (I guess Flo is the only consistent member at this point, though Jon is back) insanely hard to work with or something? Seems like they can't hold on to band members at all.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I recently moved to DC for school, tell me where the good shows are!

I'll also be figuring out some way to stay down here long enough after I get kicked off campus for my first MDF. So excited.

9:30 Club (for bigger bands), DC9, Rock and Roll Hotel, Black Cat, and The Fillmore (again, bigger bands) are all good venues in the DC area. In Baltimore there's Sonar, The Ottobar (the greatest venue in existence, for my money), and Ram's Head (bigger bands). A lot of bands do skip DC in favor of Baltimore (or skip the area entirely :().

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Ah yeah, Jaxx/Empire is a great venue for metal (and not much else)! Veteran metal bands schedule a lot of shows there. I've been out of the loop a while so I didn't know that Sonar finally did get shut down--I had gone there just after their last liquor license fiasco but not since. Sad to hear that.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngTmmOUZ_V4

New Pig Destroyer!

I kind of feel that lyric videos are a dumb trend that almost always come off goofy and low-effort, but I guess bands really want that YouTube traffic and there isn't really a better solution . . .

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
In what is becoming a fine tradition, it's NPR with another pre-release stream of an extreme metal album. This time it's the new Pig Destroyer: http://www.npr.org/2012/10/14/162728112/first-listen-pig-destroyer-book-burner

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Gamma Nerd posted:

Oh yeah, you guys need to buy the new Gridlink album. It absolutely rules.

On that note, http://handshakeinc.bandcamp.com/album/longhena has it

and yes, it's great

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
New Revocation is out on Spotify, etc.

I like it a lot

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Bolt Thrower officially calling it quits http://www.invisibleoranges.com/bolt-thrower-breaks-up/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

A human heart posted:

They've got two albums, maybe pick one?

the newer one is better imo

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.theprp.com/2017/05/25/news/heres-happened-machine-tried-create-new-metal-bands/

quote:

Janelle Shane of Postcards From The Frontiers Of Science recently fed over 100,000 metal band names, subgenres and countries of origin from metal-archives.com into an open source neural network framework. It was done in a bid to have the program convincingly generate various fictitious metal bands on its own. Here’s what the program wound up spitting out after gleaming what it could from that dataset:

quote:

“Dragonred of Blood – Death Metal – Indonesia
Deathhouse – Melodic Death Metal – Brazil
Vultrum – Folk/Black Metal – Germany
Stδggabash – Black Metal – Canada
Deathcrack – Death Metal – Mexico
Stormgarden – Black Metal – Germany
Vermit – Thrash Metal/Crossover,/Deathcore – United States
Swiil – Progressive Metal/Shred – United States
Inbumblious – Doom/Gothic Metal – Germany
Inhuman Sand – Melodic Death Metal – Russia
ChaosWorge le Plague – Doom Metal – Brazil
Inhum the Thorg – Black Metal – Slovenia
Chaosrug – Black Metal – Mexico
Jazzy – Heavy Metal – United States
Sux – Heavy Metal/Hard Rock – Chile
Dragonsulla and Steelgosh – Heavy Metal – Tuera
Verking of the Beats – Thrash Metal/Crossover Thrashcore – Netherlands
Squeen – Doom Metal – Colombia
Death from the Trend – Black Metal – Croatia
Shuck – Death Metal – Israel
Dragorhast – Heavy Metal/Hard Rock – Germany
Verb – Black Metal – Norway
Black Clonic Sky – Black Metal – Greece
Snapersten – Folk/Melodic Black Metal – Italy
Verk – Melodic Death Metal – Sweden
Snee – Thrash/Death Metal – Brazil
Vomberdean – Melodic Black Metal – United States
Suffer the Blue – Death/Thrash Metal – Germany
Sespessstion Sanicilevus – Melodic Death Metal – United States
Skφpprag – Black Metal – Norway
Sht – Symphonic/Heavy Metal – United States
Sun Damage Omen – Symphonic Progressive Metal – France”

would absolutely give Chaosrug a shot

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://www.facebook.com/nooneknowswhatthedeadthink/

2/3 of Discordance Axis + drummer from COHOL gonna do a thing later this year or early next

Jon Chang was retired and Rob Marton was unable to write (or something) so this is a pretty cool development. There's one demo track w/no vocals so far

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

hooah posted:

Man, these guys are amazing. I've been listening to them most of the day. Thanks a lot!

check the new Night Verses (From the Gallery of Sleep) if you like that

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
they fuckin rule, although tbh it's their "painkiller" cover that mostly gets stuck in my head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i've used etymotics for nearly 20 years now and i still love them. But yes please, please use something. My hearing test results are pristine despite ~70 shows over those years