Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

That track is fantastic and it's already one of my favorites of theirs. I'm surprised I'm not seeing more hype for the new album here. RIITIIR can't come fast enough.

It also has some kickass cover art:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Another new track from Enslaved's RIITIIR: "Veilburner"

This is shaping up to be a sweet album so far.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sam Dunn's trying to finance a "Lost Episode" of Metal Evolution based on Extreme Metal, since it was apparently too extreme for VH1.

http://www.indiegogo.com/extrememetal/

It was a pretty sweet series, and while I'd rather see a whole second season, this is cool too.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Yes Spotify that is CLEARLY WHAT I MEANT. I WANTED TO LISTEN TO rear end BONER INSTEAD.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Actually just googled this and came up with How Meshuggah invented Djent, and Periphery perfected Djent.

God drat I hope I never type that word again. It's so stupid.

I've been listening to metal since I was a kid and followed all sorts of subgenres throughout the years, and Djent is the first time I can't tell how a sound supposedly separates itself from all other metal. I understand the technique, and some of it sounds quite good. What I don't understand is how it's a subgenre or how anyone pioneered or invented it. It's like calling palm muting a genre, or use of arpeggios. You can attribute whatever technique you want to Eddie Van Halen, but that doesn't make Eddie Van Halen a genre. It's not even a new technique either; industrial metal has been doing the downtuned staccato chugging sound since forever, albeit mainly with sequencers rather than guitar technique. I guess I could accept that as a definition: Playing like it's industrial metal without machines doing the chugging.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Not sure if people still consider Deftones metal, but Chino Moreno just posted that Chi Cheng passed away today. Sad, I had hoped he was going to recover after his accident.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

D'awwwwww... :3:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fenrir posted:

Oh my loving YES I am so excited to see this loving band.

And Skeletonwitch
And Amon Amarth

All in the same show? Jesus loving christ, upstate concert hall is redeeming itself with this one.

Did that club used to be called Northern Lights? I saw Type O there once years ago, and I found it funny that it was in a strip mall in a middle of nowhere suburb, but they get tons of shows somehow.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I don't know how they've managed to do this consistently every 1-2 years since 1991, but Enslaved is recording in the studio for their 13th album and expected to finish in early November, according to Ivar on their Facebook page.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I remember Static-X had that one song about eating poo poo.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
So for the most part I recognize we're all complete metal pedants, so we always break things down into further and further subgenres. I read something on Metal Injection talking about "nu-djent", which blends nu-metal with djent - or rather just chugging guitars with angry rap-metal. The djent part of it pretty much depends on whether you like Meshuggah soundalikes, but to me the nu-metal aspect of it just sound like the same tired angsty stuff from the 00s everyone's been sick of for years. It also just makes me think of "Nugent" every time I try to sound it out, so there's that.

Anyway, I ask because I'm curious about the newest subgenres you've heard of existing? I mean whether or not it actually has any credence of being an actual subgenre. I just like to learn what styles people are coming up with, even if they completely suck.

\/\/\/I don't disagree. It's like calling pinch harmonics a genre. Still looking for things people call genres though.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 15, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Martout posted:

Hacktivist is the dumbest band name I've heard in a long time and that wasn't very good rap or metal tbh

Well I didn't post it because I liked it. I just want people to share my pain of knowing it exists. Kinda like how I inflict crabcore on everyone I know. I'm a monster. :unsmigghh:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
New album March 6th:

http://bravewords.com/news/enslaved-in-times-album-artwork-tracklisting-revealed-release-date-confirmed

*hnnnnnnnng*

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 15, 2014

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ecstatic Vision (who?).

Psychedelic hard rock. Pretty cool stuff. Enslaved toured with Ancient VVisdom and Royal Thunder a couple years ago, so it's not that weird a choice.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I like how :iiam: is on the wall for no apparent reason.

Fenrir posted:

Eh, to all you guys who gave up on Fear Factory, they got better... The Industrialist is actually pretty goddamn good.

But I still can't blame you. Almost everything else since Obsolete has been horrible. The only good thing that comes to mind is the very first song off Transgression.

As someone who was into them since SOANM, I found The Industrialist pretty boring. Archetype was pretty much been their only good album since Obsolete. The lineup poo poo the bed again after that because Burt decided he was Fear Factory and nobody else, and forgot to tell the rest of them before making another album. If they'd just bury all their hatchets and go back to the classic lineup of Bell/Cazares/Wolbers/Herrera, they'd probably be worth listening to again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Album trailer for the new Enslaved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFyu4ugMrXo

It's a video about the cover art, but it previews one of the songs throughout, and I think the snippet of the song at the end is also new. So hype. :neckbeard:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

On the note of Fear Factory, I probably haven't even listened to them in 10 years. I bet if I go back and listen to Demanufacture I'll hate it.

It's a very well produced album - though I'm sure there's some nostalgia factor involved for me. Just go back and listen to Zero Signal and see if you still like it, because that song's pretty much peak Fear Factory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I found Fu Xi from a Youtube search's recommended videos, and I'm digging it. I'm actually kind of hearing a bit of Drudkh and Alcest in their sound (mixing the same folk/doom/black elements). I can't say I've heard much Chinese metal, and now I'm curious what else I've been missing (and what other countries not famous for metal have some kickass bands).

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 28, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Optimum Gulps posted:

Nokturnal Mortum are definitely up there (being an Eastern European epic pagan/black metal band, that's not exactly a surprise). Their latest album Voice of Steel forgoes the openly antisemitic lyrics of some of their previous albums and is instead more in the vein of "Ukraine is beautiful" rather than "Ukraine sure would be a lot more beautiful without any Jews," but they aren't particularly progressive people.

I've always been slightly worried about this with Drudkh because I really like their music but I know they're Ukrainian nationalists. I can't find out what their ideology really is because they don't do media or interviews, or even photos.

Also more people should listen to Drudkh.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:aaaaa:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:siren: The new Enslaved album is streaming on Youtube :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwvcXnDl1GM

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xenochrist posted:

On my third listen. It's pretty good, but I'd say a notch below RIITIIR and AEO, though that's not surprising - even though Enslaved is consistent as hell those 2 albums are so great and would be hard to top.

The second half of the album is stronger than the front-end, I'd say. Nauther Bleeding is a really great track.

I more or less agree, though I do really like some of the folky touches in there, like the acoustic passages and the Nordic chants. It doesn't have as many peaks and valleys but it is really solid throughout, and they're trying some new things as they always do.

edit: The more I listen to it, the more I really like it. It's a bit of a grower.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 4, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Slate Action posted:

What percentage of concept albums are about dudes in comas? Is it over 50%?

The ratio is offset by Fear Factory who have like 28 albums about Terminator 2.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
NPR is streaming Deafheaven's new album.

http://www.npr.org/2015/09/23/441531170/first-listen-deafheaven-new-bermuda

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kilometers Davis posted:

If you guys think Huntress/Unleash the Archers are dull what female fronted bands are considered good? I have no intentions to argue but female fronted metal rules and I've never paid enough attention to the "genre" until late.

Royal Thunder's pretty cool.

Also check out Crisis, though they split a while back. The singer's since done some work with Ephel Duath, and she's got a new band called Gospel of the Witches.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

xzzy posted:

I say give AiC a shot anyways, their new stuff is pretty darn good.

I mean they'll obviously never be the same band and they probably should have reformed under a new name, but it's still good music.

I don't mind them keeping the name since Jerry Cantrell was always a co-frontman, and even the most iconic AiC songs have a lot of him in them. Definitely not the same without Staley, but as long as the lead songwriter and co-vocalist is still in charge of the band and his rhythm section is the same it's still Alice in Chains.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Fenrir posted:

I think it went too far into prog land and forgot some of the metal but I still like it.

Same. I'm not big on their older deathcore-y stuff but middle to late material is really good. It's kind of a balance with them though. Not my favorite of the year but enjoyable.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Thanks to those in the thread who recommended Batushka. I'm really liking their album.

https://witchinghourproductions.bandcamp.com/album/litourgiya

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

WombatCyborg posted:

So I'm getting into melodic death metal and using this list for my current backlog to get caught up on the ~20-30 years of poo poo to check out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Metal/comments/223idw/what_are_the_essential_gothenburg_albums/

Is there more that people would consider essential listening for the genre? I honestly can't get enough.

Check out Arsis. They're one of the few bands I've heard who can pull off melodeath and techdeath at the same time.

http://willowtip.bandcamp.com/album/a-celebration-of-guilt-reissue

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Dirt posted:

So apparently this EP is going to be just one long song.

:psyduck:

Inter Arma did the same with The Cavern and it loving owned.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
http://www.popmatters.com/post/skuggsja-a-piece-for-mind-mirror-album-stream-premiere-and-interview/

PopMatters is streaming the Skuggsjá (Enslaved & Wardruna collaboration) album.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I can't get into Jomsviking. I've tried a few times but it's like Amon Amarth Lite. Hegg's even toned down his growl. I guess if you squint they're becoming more folk-melodeath but it sounds more commercial to me than anything.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

It sounds more like they're down to one guy, who might still do stuff in future?

Yeah, he started it so I guess it's his call. Glad I got to see them before this, they played for like 2+ hours at the show I saw.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
For those not reading the doom thread, Inter Arma's Paradise Gallows is out and it's a fantastic album.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Lock Horns is back on Banger Films' Youtube channel this Wednesday. They're doing death metal this week. If you're unaware, the show is Sam Dunn revising the branches of the Metal Family Tree from Metal: A Headbanger's Journey/Metal Evolution, so if you're a sub-sub-subgenre metal nerd it's pretty interesting.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

A human heart posted:

That was the really bad tree with like cradle of filth as norwegian black metal and other stupid things on it, iirc.

The original list was 11 years ago and at the time I understand why he put them there, but in season 1 they took both CoF and Dimmu off the list. Dimmu was decidedly more Symphonic and CoF is closer to Shock Rock. It's all highly theoretical, but I just like the idea that a legit anthropologist is trying to figure out metal.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Sep 20, 2016

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Ghost Bath is alright but oh my god their videos are peak edgelord cringe.

Enslaved's new keyboardist/clean vocalist is from a really weird progressive jazz-rock/metal band called Seven Impale. I can see that sound fitting the more proggy elements of Enslaved, but I wonder how much influence he'll have on the next album or if Herbrand recorded with them before he left the band.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
New Enslaved song/video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRlhMyXmTYQ

It takes a while to build, but it shreds once it gets there. The new clean singer sounds pretty good too, but I'll miss Herbrand.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
:woop: Enslaved's 'E' is out. :woop:

edit: There's some crazy prog experimentation on this album. Probably more than they've ever done. There's a saxophone on one track.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Heavy Metal posted:

I look forward to checking that out, sax is generally welcome for me. Saw Enslaved a few years ago with Amon Amarth, was good. Electric Six rocks live but they don't bring a sax guy for Danger High Voltage, would be icing on the cake I say.

It makes a lot more sense if you listen to the new member's other band. Seven Impale is basically jazz-prog.