Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Reposting this here for the new thread:

My friend and I wrote a thrash song about Hurricane Irene. The storm turned out to be mostly a dud, so let the music rip your house apart instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwP70gaWYYY

But back to the thread - I agree about the new Toxic Holocaust. It rules, but it's definitely a slight style change for Mr. Grind.

edit-- And thank you all for the Noctum/Year of the Goat/Graveyard/etc. recommendations, those have been a lot of fun.

This was worth being reposted because it's loving awesome and goons in the other thread agreed (which usually doesn't mean its a good thing, but today it is).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

nerve posted:

New Absu and Skeletonwitch on back to back days :getin:

How does the new Absu album sound? My buddy landed their new guitarist gig so pretty excited to hear the new stuff with his guitar input/work. Unfortunately I can't grab anything leaked right now =(

edit: and I think the other guy was confused that Abzu wasn't referring to some other band, but rather the new album from Absu. Case closed!

edit2: Found a track on youtube and it seems cool. Saw two tracks, but the other song was lovely quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBj1ZE7tokE

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 23, 2011

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
The newest Absu album is streaming for the next week:

http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-absu-levy-6115/

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

PutinOnTheRitz posted:

Borknagar seems interesting, Enslaved is a little too growly I think. I'm fine with the metal purr but I'm retardedly picky about it. I'm dicking around with some Amon Amarth which isn't bugging me and I actually quite like a bit of it, but sometimes some bands are like nails on a chalkboard.

I've listened to Metallica a bit, mostly because my boyfriend seems to be stuck in the 80's and likes like Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Crue etc. While I do see their merit and like a couple of songs, I've never been head over heels for them.

Youtube bouncing has led me to Týr. Faroese (?) Is the strangest language I have ever heard. I had no idea what the Faroes even were until now. Today I learned. Yay Music!

If you're listening to Metallica and Iron Maiden you're doing alright. I always thought the bigger bands are honestly best for getting into metal. After you spent time listening to them you find it easier to get into other bands. If you aren't into growls it might be a power metal kick to help ya get into metal more. Therion isn't power metal but that's a good place to start. Maybe some Blind Guardian?

The fact you are checking out Tyr rules.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Phasco Redbeard posted:

Next, the new Rumpelstiltskin Grinder.
Ghostmaker

Dumb me, originally quoted being an idiot and thinking you were just posting the title track. Seems pretty cool. Goes more with the darker stuff they started last album with less thrash. Haven't listened enough to get it all and missed their release show in Philly a few days ago but it's pretty awesome on a few listens. I feel like you can tell the rhythm guitarist is the guitarist of Absu now and his past year or so with them adds into it.

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 20, 2012

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Misogynist posted:

Aren't they on hiatus to work on it, or am I thinking of Therion?

I think Therion released a single within the past few weeks so probably not them.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
I know this isn't the youtube thread (even though I'm tempted to post this there too), but check out some 11 year old kids (from what I read and seems about right) rocking out on the streets on NYC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDOxHAXNwu0

Best songs/jamming ever? No way in hell. Potential? gently caress yeah.

edit: more recent video from a month and a half ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jtPQTJjKPo

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 11, 2013

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
I didn't go so anyone who went...gently caress YOU!

Absu at Hellfast:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzDtyxVzNP4

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Gamma Nerd posted:

You'd think that, since it's a camel, they'd play Nile.

Camel of God?

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

T-Bozz Factor posted:

Hey guys. I haven't posted here in like forever and as you might guess, I'm back because I need something from you. Honesty is good. My band put out an album and I think you'll like it if you're into Slough Feg, Manilla Road, or obvious stuff like Iron Maiden. Lots of guitar harmonies with a balance of heavy and melodic stuff. Think late 70s/early 80s metal before everything was super defined. (but we are still influenced by modern stuff as well) The link below takes you to bandcamp. You can listen to the whole thing there and buy it for 7 bucks if you like it that much. Either way, effluvious praise welcomed and harsh criticism tolerated.

Children of the Reptile - Children of the Reptile

Saw the goon reviews, enjoyed the first 3 tracks, bought.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
How to Metal: DEATH METAL

http://youtu.be/KczIvnTTDAM

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
Absu tonight in Philly if anyone around didn't know. Should be a decent show because, well, it's Absu.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

El Estrago Bonito posted:

You guys missed two of the greatest cheese metal concept albums ever:
Hibria - Defying The Rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8WjP7JXCMM
It's about fighting ninjas on motorcycles in the post cyberpocalypse. There other work is extremely disappointing in comparison to how awesome this album is.

See also: The Tain by Horslips

Oh man, my buddy gave me a promo cd of their's years ago and it was pretty awesome for what it was. Plenty of generic and awesome riffs.

On a similar note I saw his band play with Vektor tonight, who I never actually heard anything from before. A lot of that throwback thrash stuff of course, but they had some really nice riffs and songs. I just couldn't get into those vocals though and I really wish I didn't forget ear protection because...ouch.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

Per O posted:

Are there any good metal albums that have a storyline? I was listening to Coheed and Cambria and thought "drat if they could have a story this good with a metal band that would be awesome"

Not metal because it is more of a nerdy rock opera, but the first album 'The Protomen' made is an amazing rock opera/storyline if you are familiar enough with Mega Man. Yeah, it's video game themed, but musically it is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtSxNZeXlKg

e: but to be honest listen to like what was first goon replied with : Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory. And also, DT's second disc from Six Degrees.

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Nov 23, 2013

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

het posted:

I know I know, it's a joke! Still, you have to admit Crowbar immediately preceding Seether is pretty funny/awful, like I'm not even a particular fan

edit: don't get me wrong, that's a crazy amount of bands I'd like to see still

I quote this because this was exactly my thought process when I saw that lineup. I won't argue about which band is more "popular", but how do fans transition from one band onto the other after Crowbar? Everyone leaves and a new group of fans show up?. I do like a few Seether songs and wouldn't mind seeing them live but I can't listen to Crowbar and then be pumped to listen to Seether after them. I would easily find my way to a different stage if something more similar to Crowbar were playing. Way different styles.

Also, a few pages late but that Chthonic single really rocked my world. I was super into Seediq Bale when it came out, as in I couldn't stop listening for almost a year. Got the 2009 release and just wasn't into it that much. But that single rules and after listening to it too many times I now got into the 2009 album and picked up the newest one as well. This band seems to randomly be exactly what I enjoy for some reason.

e: And might as well pop this question since the holidays are coming... Has anyone heard anything about Death Metal Christmas? My buddy does vocals and his brother does the music. The brother is the bassist for Hate Eternal and my buddy is the vocalist for Monstrosity so it's not like it's some random goon friend link (although I do love those links and check them out).

Here's a link with a track:

http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-hate-eternal-bassist-premieres-new-track-from-death-metal-christmas-album.html

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004
I've never heard of deafheaven. I stink at the internet :(

But onto non recent music. I started listening again to Flametal - The Elder. It's still insanely awesome. Who doesn't want a little bit of flavor and spice with their metal? But that was back in 2005. Google tells me they have two other releases and they don't really get good reviews. Was that a one album wonder band (if you did you enjoy the album) or what? I remember reading a few years ago that the guitarist was doing solo stuff but I didn't check out more after reading about it. But seriously that first album is awesome.

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 5, 2014