Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Alright so you guys pretty much ruined the last thread with your terrible opinions. Then I honestly felt like I was in high school again because someone was actually loving talking about Machine Head. So basically I'm rebooting this thread because the other one was getting long anyways. What's going to happen here? You'll probably run it into the ground again.

So anyways I've been off in my own world and there hasn't been a whole lot of legitimate contenders for album of the year except maybe the new Sonne Adam or Necros Christos. Both of these bands put out stellar releases this year, and if you like actual death metal and not some clicky bass drum watered-downed technical pirate-metal jazz-infusion shitfest then check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU650Yc3590

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJpS8NIJFyE

:siren: Oh yeah, and new rules: Gr31lly's and Mrbling's opinions are no longer considered opinions. They are authoritative declarations.

Ready.... set...... go!

fuckin hell brother you made this thread

anyway.. I love that sound of three little pigs by green jelly.. recs???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also whats its called when you consider that melody and thrash/death are mutually exclusive. like "melodic death metal" is like saying "angelic satan music", like, you can think you're creating it because you're mixing the sounds but the reality is those concepts are mutually exclusive and are the musical equivalent of pouring hot beef oil into a sink of cold water

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Less Claypool posted:

Rust In Peace is arguably the greatest thrash album, but all the other 12 albums or so are really bad, is it just me? Come to think of it, that’s what I think of the big 4 as well.

Hope he gets better regardless.

its actually "beneath the remains" cheers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

You have no idea what melody is, do you?

kinda

like when I listen to kill em all, I can hear some melody.. but it's not terrible

and having some kind of basic rythmic chord changes are ok

but basically.. you need a mostly atonal sound and perhaps key changes.. but as soon as you've got actual chordal/melody.. you've entered this state where you are no longer death or thrash.. but some kind of sad deathcore rip off.. idk how to explain it to someone because if they fundamentally don't hear it maybe they never will

the riffs at 1:50 are getting close to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjqSdCp6bwc

idk what to say. we all have different standards. I don't really do moderation so.. wgaf

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
im sure liking cannibal corpse is gonna get me some flack not because they're not metal but because they are pretty mainline but that's for a good reason.. they are strictly death metal and don't try to gently caress with anything else because loving around with your sister or brother just.. idk.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Less Claypool posted:

Rust In Peace is arguably the greatest thrash album, but all the other 12 albums or so are really bad, is it just me? Come to think of it, that’s what I think of the big 4 as well.

Hope he gets better regardless.

first two tracks on endgame is some high end metal heroin I suggest you lie down for these ones

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ambious posted:

You know who are really good?
Kalmah.
Kalmah are really really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcxlexAJycY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_U6165DVeM

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

We Know Catheters posted:

Faith No More's cover is better than the original

gently caress yes. The vocals ruin it.

The first time I heard it was on headphones on acid, I didn't know what it was, I recognised it as war pigs but I thought the acid had transformed it into a massive modern tone.

Honestly FNM has amazing tone on that song. The vocals bite (I love Patton but not on that song).

Can't believe I only really started getting in FNM this year. gently caress they own

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Don't discriminate just because their frontman is swole. They're a good band.

lol harms whey

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

igor cavalera was 14 when this was recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JkLO4CM0EI

you guys are not tired are you? thought we would wake you up by playing something really old and really fast. this used to be called antichrist. we got some fuckin problems with the police, so we changed the lyrics. now its called anticop gently caress THE POLICE

lol listened to that so many god drat times

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this thread always makes me feel lame lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I read that as Blind Melon vibes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

they are, which is an automatic disqualifier for me

as an ex christian, I can kinda get this. christians might enjoy the heaviness but I don't think they can allow themselves to channel the evil, and if they can, they aren't really christian.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if someone said dad metal what would you immediately think?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Detective Thompson posted:

'Hammer Smashed Thumb'
'(Where the Hell Are My) Painkiller(s?)'
'Paranoid (That Someone's Touching the Thermostat Again!)'
'Rock and Roll 'Til About 9PM'
'Symphony of Deck Construction'
'Feet on Flame with Athlete's Foot'

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Just reposting this here.

If Nile was just ordinary death metal they’d have the best sound, the vocals on their earlier stuff is the best death metal vocals and their heavy passages loving own. Shame they have these random technical passages in between all the loving time

I ordered some Seymour Duncan invader pickups after that video. His guitars are ugly as gently caress but that scalloping

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i dunno none of nile's stuff is all that random. it's mostly going up and down a handful of "exotic" sounding scales really fast

I didn't mean random (even though I said it), I just mean like utterly unexpected, in a jarring way. I get it that it's their thing but it's not me.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

this rules

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Groke posted:

Almost any kind of band in almost any decade, really. A large percentage of musicians did all their best creative work while completely hosed up.

whenever I'm majorly hosed up on real good drugs, I listen to Third Eye by Tool, and the opening quotes by Bill Hicks always make so much sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe this isn’t the best place to ask this but is there a thread for thrash or is this it