Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Dan Swano's Witherscape just released a new song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcj2w4R0cz4

Sounds like some good poo poo, excited to see the rest of the album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vulture Culture posted:

I still think Witherscape ranks just below Unicorn as the worst project of Dan Swano's career

e: I might enjoy this if Swano got a different vocalist on cleans, the choruses sound like Nickelback dad rock

I would definitely prefer if he did Nightingale style cleans because I do remember thinking that it sounded like he was trying too hard on the first Witherscape too. Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy my yearly dose of Swedish dad metal either way.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

oh my goodness

jack your dick, buddy

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

That new Testament song ain't half bad.

Neither is this new Vader song. Digging the thrash vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7evx_AQy0jI

Sounds like we're getting another Necropolis/Art of War

Yyyyyyeahhh mannnn

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Opeth leaked. I made it 3 songs.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

To Battle posted:

I believe he is on Hanes Grossmanns solo album, his newest one. And yeah, most tech death is just noodly "hey look what i can do" bullshit.

Cosmogenesis and Omnivium were good poo poo man. Celestial Spheres is one of my favorite tech death songs and the bass is wicked.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Metal is serious as gently caress boys

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I met Devin at Summerbreeze a couple years ago and it was nice because literally everyone at Summerbreeze is German and I don't speak German (because I'm Canadian)

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Insomnium is sick. Dan Swano on production is a noticeable improvement.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
LOL he couldnt get PCT in jail. Idiot.

It's not even hard to get roids in jail, why wouldn't he just stay on cycle?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

a fleshy snood posted:

It pains me to accept this, but yeah it is pretty poo poo. I vaguely enjoyed that one Jethro Tull kind of song at least.

Just like In Flames, Opeth died in the early 2000's, and just like In Flames, one man continues to ride the good name of the band into the ground.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Ulio posted:

I haven't listened to Opeth in a while but the new In Flames is atrocious even the video is awful and cringeworthy. Sucks because In Flames first album and EP are some of my favorite pieces of music.

It's funny because Anders (the singer) said in an interview something along the lines of, "Fans think that every album we've released is the new worst album ever and have been saying it since The Jester Race" BECAUSE IT'S TRUE

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

TheIllestVillain posted:

there's a lovely quality leak of the new Dark Tranquillity album floating around, i gave it a few listens and imo it's the best thing they've released in over a decade.

a couple of officially released tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suhuQlYZwtE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLzcYx6iWec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_voh9WFbsM

It seems good but yes the quality is poo poo. I've never been a huge fan but I didnt want to turn it off partway through like I did with We are the Void or wahtever the gently caress it was.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can't remember if I asked this before, but what websites do you guys use in terms of finding new metal you like and reviews that are on the money?

I usually just look at Angrymetalguy.com and see what new releases they've reviewed, then listen to it without actually reading the review (unless it's an album im actually already looking forward to).

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Hey guys everyone's favorite polish death metal band released a new album today

Vader tapes tend to grow on me over time but I'm giving "The Empire" a solid SICK/10 off the jump anyways. As usual It feels like a change in sound from the previous album while still retaining that distinct Vader feel.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

david crosby posted:

Kool. It has been a really good year, maybe better than 2013. I mean that only in reference to metal, otherwise 2016 can blow me. But y'all gotta listen to new Gorguts, Ulcerate, Vektor, Mare Cognitum, Sinistrous Diablous, Blood Incantation, and Plebian Grandstand. What did I miss this year? Please do not say the new Metallica.

I think the new Vader is pretty good and generally enjoyable for anyone with even a passing interest in death metal.

Also if you're into melodeath Omnium Gatherum's latest (from February) is their best yet.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
A friend of mine once tried to shake hands with the guys from Deicide (or at least im pretty sure it was Deicide) and one of them said "I dont shake hands with niggers" soooooooooooo

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

TollTheHounds posted:

Inquisition are touring North America, I'm so loving pumped I can't take it. :psyduck:

They are touring with Mayhem but who gives a poo poo - loving Inquisition!!!!

http://loudwire.com/mayhem-perform-de-mysteriis-dom-sathanas-in-full-2017-north-american-tour/

01/30 – Calgary, Alberta @ Marquee

Wow now that is an odd venue choice. That place is like a "classy" kinda of bar that the asian and black community (and also gangs; they tend to infest any nice bar in Calgary) love to frequent and usually only hosts EDM artists. One of our CFL team players was shot and killed outside of it a couple months ago. On the night it opened an asian gang member stabbed one of the bouncers. It's also loving huge and there's no way its going to hit even 20% capacity.

It used to be a grungy rear end rock club (called The Back Alley) that would usually be frequented by people that hated typical club scenes and club music, so maybe whoever booked it still thinks its that sort of joint.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Murky death metal recorded in the deepest parts of the ocean rules. I don't know why I like that dumb sound so much but they do it so well.

You've heard Sulphur Aeon?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

It's new Wintersun, I don't give a poo poo what the title on the cover is. I'm not convinced it'll be awesome necessarily, but I sure as hell wanna hear it to find out.

It amuses me that Time was simultaneously released and literally delayed forever.

I wouldnt mind another album like their first since the extreme power metal scene is pretty much dead, but Time 1 was real bad.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nordick posted:

I like Time I as well. :shrug: It's not as good as the debut, but still a good piece of bombast.

It would have been better if it wasn't half interlude and half symphonic wank

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

DeusExMachinima posted:

OK I've heard lots of sub-subgenre names in my time but what exactly would be extreme power metal? Dragonforce?

Well most people call poo poo like Wintersun melodic death metal but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Basically yes just power metal with growling and extra guitar noodling.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Chromatic posted:

Owns so hard.

I've loved this song for years but never got around to checking out the actual album. Is the rest of the album this good?

It's probably the second best thing Swano has ever done, behind the Crimsons.

Here's a link for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8czMG450fQ

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Chromatic posted:

I'm 4 songs in and completely in love already. Why in the hell did I not listen to this album sooner? Great riffs, soothing yet punchy atmospheres, it's catchy, and it flows well. I really adore the way this album has a way to lay back and let a killer riff take the forefront instead of the way a lot of bands do it these days and try to cram lyrics in every place they can.

Oh gently caress I forgot all about his clean vox. :allears:

Man, this is good.

If you're a fan of Swano's clean vocals and enjoy prog rock you should check out the Nightingale album "Nightfall Overture", since it's probably the pinnacle of his clean singing. It's pretty amazing to hear how his voice evolved from The Breathing Shadow (1995 horrendous) to Nightfall Overture (2005, awesome).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZP_sGFTnbw

He also does some clean singing on the Witherscape albums but it's more aggressive. Witherscape is basically the Moontower 2/Crimson 3 that we'll never get.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

You weren't kidding. This is basically Individual Thought Patterns.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Paul Masvidal is featured on the new Persefone if any of you are into weird rear end prog/tech metal. I am a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxkiTxoHrw

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The new Vintersorg sounds like it's going to be loving sweet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPgqO1oCz1Q

also lol that Swedish language lyric videos are even a thing

Defiant Sally fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 13, 2017

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
The drums are way too loud and the guitars way too low on the new Wintersun. Good poo poo good poo poo.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

henpod posted:

Fine by me, I like loud drums and Hahto is a beast on the kit. Thanks for the heads up, gonna give this a listen later.

Is the album good at least?

I like loud drums too, the problem is that the overloud drums and vocals drown out the guitars almost entirely. He did cut down on the symphonic bullshit though, which is great.

It's definitely better than Time. If you're into this sort of thing I would say its a good listen. There's less filler moments than there was on Time and more music overall, which isn't hard considering half of Time was interludes and whatever the gently caress else.

I'm looking forward to someone leaking the Ultra Elite $$$ Bundle which included a 'heavy metal' mix of Time which has the symphonic parts cut out. Might make it a lot more enjoyable, like Devin Townsend releasing Z2 with all the wacky dialogue cut out.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

silvergoose posted:

But stinky cheese is the best cheese.

Speaking of cheese Rhapsody (of Fire) re recorded some of their "Greatest Hits" including Dawn of Victory and Holy Thunderforce. It actually turned out not bad.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Munkaboo posted:

gently caress the haters listening to the isolated tracks of Sons of Winter and Stars is so drat cool.

Was this included in the elite money package?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Finally listened to some fan mixes of the new Wintersun. Wow what an improvement with the vocals and drums turned down. This is actually enjoyable now.

Hopefully an actual professional will take a crack at mixing it but who could be bothered really?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Vargatron posted:

Hour of Penance came up in my iTunes shuffle and oh boy I am digging what I'm hearing here.

Sedition was a great album. Everything after that was super mediocre or poorly produced.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Hulk Krogan posted:

This is not the music I expected from that album cover.

https://khazaddumband.bandcamp.com/album/plagues-upon-arda

This is some enjoyable poo poo

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Shakenbaker posted:

Got the new Cannabis Corpse in today :toot: First track is The 420th Crusade :hellyeah:

loving LOL @ 'Left Hand Pass'

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Schneider Heim posted:

Hi, sorry for the late reply! I liked Stratovarius, 2000s era Blind Guardian, and even a bit of Dragonforce. I guess I like them melodic and uplifting, and more on the clean vocals side. (uhhh something like JAM Project, but metal, if anyone here gets that)

I'll be going through the suggestions as well! Thanks everyone!

Kamelot might be up your alley. I haven't listened to power metal in literally years but they were one of my faves back in the day, and they're still active.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wRreoNRGwk

You'd probably also like Lost Horizon though they're long broken up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_whlCHGGM8

Coincidentally, I think both of these vocalists left their bands to form Christian rock/metal groups.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Nazzadan posted:

Ebu Gogo Gutting the Child is a stone cold classic, and nothing they release can tarnish it's legacy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUgpSZ2XYpE

This owns

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Someone listen to the new Amon Amarth and tell me if it's any good. I'm too scared to see for myself.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah when I saw them live my only real complaint was ZP, it felt like he really struggled to keep up with the band. But it didn’t actually matter, they were still an absolutely ton of fun to watch live. Trampolines and fans blowing back their hair? A good time.

I saw them in 2009 with Sonata Arctica after they'd blown up from Guitar Hero fame and it was a solid show but also the biggest concentration of nerds that I have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Anyone seeing/seen Vader on their current NA tour? Considering hopping on a cheap flight to the next city over to catch them.