Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

I've been almost hopelessly out of touch with metal for the last 5 years for many reasons. Mostly because modern metal is not my thing.

I used to stay current by posting on metal-oriented message boards, but the boards I used to frequent have either closed down or are now more about internet friendships than music (relapse records forum).

Can anyone recommend a metal forum with people that aren't a bunch of narrow-minded idiots (maybe even with a sense of humor)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Zodijackylite posted:

The thing that really strikes me with these guys isn't the more successful bands like Iron Maiden or Morbid Angel still touring (and headlining), it's the ones like Napalm Death that are incredibly important but still touring low. I saw ND in 2006 in the fourth slot opening for Hatebreed, below Exodus and The Black Dahlia Murder. Shane Embury was in the band before I was born ('88), they were touring out of an old van when Tomas Lindberg handed them an At The Gates demo, ATG became legends and broke up 15 years ago, and every metalhead knows who both bands are. Napalm Death didn't split up, they haven't gone three years without making an album since the 80s, and these guys are in their 40s playing lower support slots on the other side of the world, living out of a van. They have two decades of doing what is often too much for guys half their age, it's unbelievable.

What else do they know? Living out of a van probably sucks no matter how used to it you are but if they broke ND up and joined other bands, they might not get to come to the US at all. Besides, ND sucked out loud for most of the nineties and then got angry and focused again with Enemy of the Music Business. I think they're the only old school grindcore band to do that, so why should they hang it up?

Zodijackylite posted:

Barney is a really smart guy too, despite being English he was quite well-versed in American politics and spent quite some time talking to and 18 year old me about various subjects while bands above them played and nobody else even recognized him. Five years and many shows later that has set in and it still doesn't click in my mind with anything other than insane dedication to music.

I saw ND with Nile back in 2003 at the Norva in Norfolk, VA and it was a loving rape. A lot of technical Death bands lose their power in a live situation because you can't understand anything (could have been the mix), but Napalm's Simpler, Heavier songs destroyed Nile. Kevin Sharp was ND's roadie and he even sang the backup on Nazi Punks gently caress Off, so Nile had no chance, despite putting on a very tight show.

Barney was also wise/kind enough not to bum everyone out by going off on a long political tangent in front of an audience in an city with the biggest naval base in the world just as the Iraq War was gearing up. He just said "Say No to War". I thought that was cool of him to speak his peace and then return to roaring like a razorback.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

QPZIL posted:

Imagine Harvey Keitel playing the Cryptkeeper, and then look at that picture. You can't tell me I'm wrong.

You know what I just imagined? A naked Cronos dancing slowly and weeping ala Bad Lieutenant. I can tell you you're wrong.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I wish he at least sounded more like himself, had the Immortal guitar tone, SOMETHING to make it different.

It's awesome I just wish I could tell this was abbath

Well, he definetly put more effort into singing like Lemmy than he did into sounding like Fast Eddie Clarke. Abbath is too sloppy to pull off an accurate old school Motorhead impression.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

New Pig Destroyer has unbelievable riffs and the new drummer is perfect, but JR isn't bringing the crazy like he did on Prowler and Terrifyer. Vocals sound a little tired.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Turk February posted:

Forget all about boring, modern thrash and listen to Demolition Hammer

gently caress yeah. I really don't care for modern thrash because so many of these bands are reliving their childhoods rather than actually being inventive.

I love the new Carcass and I'm hoping the new Gorguts won't take me years to decipher.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

20 years after I purchased it (Halloween night '93), Danzig II remains one of the best metal albums ever. I've been listening to Danzig I, II, III and Thrall for the last few weeks and I said godDAMN.

IV didn't age well. A lot of the distorted vocals and experimenting with backwards masking on the rest of the album just feel like bad omens of what happened on later albums.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

OT: I've been reading deathmetal.org which is one of S.R. Prozac's (of anus.com) sites. I found myself agreeing with a lot of his statements about the current state of metal: modern metal is crap, metal has become a uniform and a marketing niche to be pandered to, metal has had Quality Control issues since the mid-90's, there is too much loving metal being released (yes, agreeing with him is the first sign of something in my brain breaking).

Then you read his album reviews and apparently everyone he doesn't care for is playing rock music. Deathspell Omega is rock, Entombed's Clandestine is a rock album.

Can anyone recommend a review site or board that isn't utterly batshit? Most of the place I used to go to talk metal are either shut down or have turned into a bunch of friends with inside jokes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Off topic: These last 2 weeks, it's been nothing but Type O Negative/Carnivore for me. I miss Peter Steele. World Coming Down and Origin of the Feces are underappreciated genius.