Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

So the new Mastodon leaked. I'm halfway through the album and so far it's been really disappointing. The drums are fine and certainly more engaging than in Crack The Skye, but the vocal and guitar melodies seem directionless and unappealing. It's less proggy and slightly heavier than Crack The Skye but almost all the songs lack any attention grabbing hooks or riffs. Overall the songwriting just doesn't sound very thought out, or perhaps even too thought out, as if they tried desperately not to sound like their last couple albums. Many of these guitar riffs are just collections of notes without any real impact on the listener.

Edit: and they keep using the same loving sustained-note arpeggiated scales that they've been using since Remission. Sure it helps give them that 'Mastodon sound' but it's become really tired and boring by now.

d0grent fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I'm surprised at the reception this thread is having with the new Mastodon album, considering how much negative feedback I remember reading for Crack The Skye.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I tried my hardest to just straight up not listen to that collabortion, but I finally gave in to temptation, and Jesus. loving. Christ. You would think that with Lars being as terrible of a drummer as he is, he would at least be able to compensate with getting a decent sound to his drums. But no, his kick drum sounds like it has a sheet of paper stapled over it, and his snare sounds like a machine. He's also still off-time despite this being edited at least a few times already. And that's still the most skin deep criticism I can think of for the entire thing. I can't even be bothered to go further than that.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

My friend saw them recently and told me that their stage act has seriously degraded since the death of their guitarist. He said it looked like they had spent all of their money and didn't have much of a budget for things like blood cannons and dinosaurs... Hopefully I'm wrong though because GWAR put on a great show last time I saw them.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Apparently Mastodon released a remastered version of Remission today. Has anyone heard it yet by chance?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

These guys just had an album produced by Kurt Ballou of Converge and it rules and I wish more people knew about this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZVFUMyiQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGoopkP5eEY

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

james hetfield is never worth listening to

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I like how in his analogy he unwittingly admits to not bring able to read.

Anyway I like blackened thrash and would like some more. I liked skeletonwitchs' first album but the rest sounded kind of uninspired. Any recommendations?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Oh dang I thought beyond the permafrost was their first album I forgot they had one before that. And I'm still listening through all your posts, I've never gotten this many recommendations at once, thanks guys.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Could anyone recommend me some really heavy punk that sits on the border between hard punk and metal? Anything with a great drummer or some rhythmic complexity is a plus.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

hell yeah, more of this please

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

spotify has a playlist you can add called "release radar" that updates every week with new releases from all the bands you're following.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

The new La Armada album whips rear end and also is lefty thrash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TM8NdGw6Y

That's some tasty drumming. Any similar bands you'd recommend?

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Too bad they couldn't replace the most boring Opeth riff ever written at the beginning.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

for more context, this text was posted by Melissa

bascially proscriptor is a huge piece of poo poo lol

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

MrBling posted:

here's some cool death metal https://draghkar.bandcamp.com/album/at-the-crossroads-of-infinity

it has solos and everything

this rips, but man those guitars sure are hot in the low-mids

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

tote up a bags posted:

Has anyone heard the new IGORRR? I don't know how I'd describe it but it's like if the Prince Of Persia soundtrack got some doom metal guitars and maybe a Commadore 64 sound chip added

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Osqf4oIK0E8

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Holy fuckballs, Genghis Tron just announced they're recording a new album after a 12 year hiatus. Board Up the House was the poo poo.

gently caress yeah and it's being produced by kurt ballou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

that album has an 18 minute song and it's pretty spectacular having bass and guitars trading off on solos for that long

edit: I think this is my AOTY

d0grent fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 4, 2021