Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Re: female fronted. Royal Thunder are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like Tool but the one time I saw them live they stood with their backs to the audience the whole time and did literally nothing except play the songs. They are unbelievably boring.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Baroness' production has always sounded like that, I just expect it as part of the sound they are going for

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

it's clearly not metal.

What are you talking about? Of course it is metal. Metal is a broad genre.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I&W is one of my favourite albums of all time but I just can't get into any other DT stuff. I have every other album and tried listening to all of them hoping to get that same enjoyment from them but I just haven't.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
You guys take your metal way too seriously

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Haven't seen this posted anywhere. Slice the Cake (well, 2 out of 3 of them) released their new album a few days ago and I think it's awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91eo0NXIsgQ

realbez fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 7, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Odyssey to the Gallows is a 28 minute spoken word ambient thing that is meant to be an introduction to the story of the album. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're into that sort of thing. The actual album is excellent though.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Trees and Squids posted:

Aw man, you just reminded me that Cynic broke up

Reinert left and told the internet that they broke up without telling the other members, but they didn't break up at all. Masvidal and Malone are still going as Cynic with a new drummer.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

DeusExMachinima posted:

Gygax! Almost nobody knows about them so your cred will be intact. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3vPJqYauU

Shameless D&D rock & roll. This is loving awful, but also pretty drat good.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

stab posted:

So grammy nominations are out

This year’s nominees for Best Metal Performance include Baroness for “Shock Me,” Gojira for “Silvera,” Korn for “Rotting in Vain,” Megadeth for “Dystopia,” and Periphery for “The Price Is Wrong.”

Will :megadeath: go 0 for 12??????

Answer: Yes (It'll be Korn) :smith:

How can you listen to those albums and pluck "shock me" and "the price is wrong" out to nominate? Both albums have multiple better songs. Do they listen to.. never mind no they don't

Edit: Metallica nominated in the rock category haha

realbez fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 7, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Baroness are good, purple is good, and I can't wait to see them live Friday night.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cardiac posted:

After finally getting around to listening to In flames latest album, I realized that in contrast to other bands that start with some generic pop teenage angst and end up evolving to something else, In flames have decided to do the opposite thing and end up where many bands start.

On something else more relevant, Cult of Luna's latest with Julie Christmas is pretty great. I like bands with female singers that manage to sound aggressive and are looking for some recommendations.
Basically I am looking for something similar to Cult of Luna's latest, Angela Gossow when she was in Arch Enemy or Crucified Barbara. Nightwish style with clean vocals is no no. Something similar to Myrkur screaming is also no no.

Julie's other bands (Battle of Mice, Made Out of Babies) are good, but her best work is her solo album I think:

https://juliechristmas.bandcamp.com/album/the-bad-wife

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eXbW3l7gzM

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tias posted:

Even if Myrkur didn't suck, she'd still be a nazi.

What?

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think you will have a problem with people telling you to sit down in a suite at a maiden show

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

Wow, look at this pile of lovely bands all at once.

Gourmet Man Food

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
It just sounds like Mastodon to me

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Can we all sit down and have a frank and honest discussion about how good bandcamp has been for the death metal scene?

Bandcamp might be my favourite website. I have found and bought so much music, metal included, on it. If there is an option to buy a physical copy on Bandcamp, that is where I will buy it.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
That sucks, I hope he finds a way to improve his situation and get better. I love his voice. Unseen is one of my favourite albums, and I really like his new album with IAmFire.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Unseen is easily the best haunted album in existence

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mastodon are, and always have been, good

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Defiant Sally posted:

Paul Masvidal is

I like Paul. That song just made me pine for more Cynic. :(

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Are Junius considered metal? They are in the ball park and their latest albums is spectacular.

e: https://junius-official.bandcamp.com

realbez fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 17, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So, Emporer of Bland. I think they've fully completed their descent into Shitsvegas, as is the fate of most metal bands that achieve any degree of stardom. I can't remember a single thing after "Show Yourself". It's all just a blur of aimless guitar wanking. The lyrics either sound like Ke$ha wrote them as a favor, or if a Sabbath tribute band tried to write an original song. Brann spends most of the album doing his best impression of Ozzy.

Back to Remission to wash this taste out of my mouth.

lol

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

kajeto posted:

Welp, preorders for new Dying Fetus are up and one of the items included is a loving knife:

If this is not badass, I don't know what is.

and extremely bad metal band promoting knife violence is not badass, jesus loving christ

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

kajeto posted:

Death Metal as a genre is quite literal. Just look at Cannibal Corpse, people get hosed with knifes at their shows and/or cum blood.

Maybe chill out and don't take things too seriously? I think the knife would look very cool when going camping.

yeah man selling a knife that says 'wrong one to gently caress with' on it is cool, and completely on the same level as not taking lyrics in songs literally.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

kajeto posted:

If you're stupid enough to take what a metal band sings about or the merch it sells quite literally, maybe you should listen to a different genre of music.

it isn't about what I will take literally, it is about what all the morons who would buy that knife will take literally. Selling a Tshirt with 'wrong one to gently caress with' written on it is very different to selling a weapon, and if you can't see where the line was crossed there then you are a total fuckwit. This thread has always been full of really bad opinions, but defending a band selling weapons is peak metal thread.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I wondered what other bands would probably have knife merchandise. Yep...

There's like three licensed knives.

Gross

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
If you think that kind of poo poo is 'badass' you are a supreme loser but lol it doesn't surprise me at all that you have all jumped in to defend it

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

dentist toy box posted:

Like I think it's dumb tough guy poo poo, hell I don't even like Dying Fetus. The guy acting like someone is gonna go on a rampage with it is just hilarious though.

I didn't say someone was going to go on a rampage with it, I said knife carriage was a bad thing to glorify. But you don't think it is tough guy bullshit, you think people who don't think carrying knives should be encouraged are pussies and now you're backtracking. In most of the West, guns are illegal. I'll let you guess what people tend to use instead.

If you were caught with that particular knife on your person here, you could be given 2 years unless you had a good excuse for carrying it. And no, 'my katana was too big' or 'i feel the need to be armed at all times because I'm an insecure and scared little man' are not valid excuses.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
You are missing the point so hard. hint: the literal knife itself isn't what I'm objecting to.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
there is no good metal

Kilometers Davis posted:

Carrying a knife day to day is incredibly useful, don't be so weird about a dumb piece of merch.

I found ur stuff on the edc forum, pretty cool

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

lol wtf this guy is still continuing to have a complete meltdown over a dumb pocket knife?

i don't think metal is for u

Nah I dropped it, someone else kept posting about it. Metal isn't really represented by dying fetus knives lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Spatulater bro! posted:

What's everyone's favorite metal band that themes its lyrics around war-based table top games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_GDzXvFsQU