Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I still dont' have all their poo poo, but Twilight of the Thunder God is awesome. The opening and closing tracks are two of my favorite AA songs. Once Sent From the Golden Hall is okay for the most part, but Asator and Cry of the Blackbird are all kinds of awesome, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

Skeletonwitch are pretty awesome live, and if you get a chance to talk to any of the guys in the band, they're pretty awesome dudes. I'd do it if the tickets are cheap.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Holy Grail are loving awesome. Crisis in Utopa has some really kick rear end songs on it.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Somewhere Far Beyond and Nightfall in Middle Earth are my favorite albums, and are a good representation of their earlier and later styles, respectively.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Totally forgot about Tokyo Tales and Live. Amazing, amazing live albums, and both really good introductions to a good range of Blind Guardian's stuff.

Of course, neither has When Sorrow Sang, which is objectively the best Blind Guardian song

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Philthy posted:

They tour three times a year, and Bruce has more energy than the sun. They'll live off his aura forever.

I've seen Maiden a bunch of times and they put bands a third their age to shame. I have no idea how Bruce runs around like that while singing the way he does for a 2 hour set.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Definitely seconding Insomnium; Across the Dark is a solid record. You might also like Omnium Gatherum. I really like Spirits of August Light, but the new album, New World Shadows, is pretty good too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Apparently if you're copying yourself that's against the rules too.

Someone alert AC/DC, they should be #1 on the worst offenders list.

Do the 5th through 8th repeats of the same phrase in every Iron Maiden chorus since Brave New World count?

QPZIL posted:

Some bands are about being innovative with their music and pushing the boundaries with every album, some bands are just about having a fuckin' killer time and partying hard and playing music as loud as it will go.

Motorhead falls into one of these categories.

Exactly. I have no problem with music that sounds like it was made by a bunch of dudes who grew up listening to Slayer or Maiden or whatever and just wanna get drunk and play some heavy metal, even if it isn't the most groundbreaking poo poo ever. See: Skeletonwitch, Amon Amarth.

Edit: Said bands also tend to be really loving fun to see live.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 19, 2011

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

QPZIL posted:

This is god damned true. I'm seeing them with Kvelertak and Zoroaster tomorrow night and couldn't be more excited.

I can't make it to the NYC show on Friday and I'm really goddamn disappointed. I saw them earlier this year with 3 Inches of Blood and they put on one hell of a show.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

It's always a shame when you hear some metal coming from a car or a stereo and when you get a little closer you realize it's Dethklok.

We could have been friends, man.

Anyways, I wish Skeletonwitch had different production, more of a heavier sound I guess. They're loving awesome and I'm sure hearing them live is WAY better than the album.

I felt the same way about the new album at first too, but it's grown on me. It sounds very analogue and old-school to me and it just works.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Finally got to listen to the new Alcest song that came out yesterday. Not particularly metal, but definitely worth checking out if you like their other material. Granted I'm a little biased: when I first discovered them I don't think I listened to anything but Ecailles de Lune for like three weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=85c-P9hbmBg!

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 2, 2011

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I don't see the problem with that. My band played a show on Thursday where they had an open jam on Pantera songs at the end. I think that's a pretty cool way to honor the guy if that's your thing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I actually dig some of Lacuna Coil's stuff but "Trip the Darkness" is a pretty terrible song title.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

MrBling posted:

Slayer are playing Copenhell 2012 next summer. Are they still worth watching?

So far the lineup is:

Slayer

Marilyn Manson,

Lamb of God

Anthrax

Skeletonwitch

Trivium

Killswitch Engage

Korpiklaani

Of those I really only want to see Anthrax but there is still another 8 bands that haven't been named yet.

Skeletonwitch put on a kick rear end show, if that helps.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If you like Agalloch, there's a band called the Morningside that I belive someone in this thread recommended to me way back when that sounds very similar.

I also just found out about Negura Bunget recently, who do the whole atmospheric, post black metal thing but with a litte bit of death metal influence thrown in. Definitely check them out.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

FYI, Google Music has a bunch of albums at $4.99 for the holidays, and the metal selection is pretty solid. So far I've picked up the new Wolves in the Throne Room, both Leprous albums, the new Animal as Leaders, Kvelertak, Les Discrets, and some Swallow the Sun and Amorphis albums for 5 clams a pop.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Orbital Sapling posted:

Moonsorrow's Varjoina Kuljemme Kuolleiden Maassa

One of my friends has been telling me about Moonsorrow for a while, but I never got around to checking them out until yesterday when I picked this album up and gave it a listen.

It's loving phenomenal and might be one of my favorites of the year. Huuto is an incredible song.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Anthrax was pretty good, and I've never really even been into Anthrax. New Mastodon was okay, and I actually still haven't heard the new Megadeth. Heritage was a pretty neat idea that utterly failed in execution, and I say that as a raging Opeth fanboy who was really excited about that album up until I actually heard it. I was thinking it was going to be Opeth's take on the Ghost/Devil's Blood/every other occult retro prog rock band thing. That's basically what the first track is, and it's the only one I've listened to since the album dropped. The rest of it is just 70s prog riff salad.

For me, Leprous, Dream Theater and Skeletonwitch really exceeded expectations and put out great records this year. I actually really dug the album Protest the Hero put out too (I know, I know).

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Swallow the Sun video dropped yesterday, featuring the singer from Nightwish. You guys seen it yet? It's a little different but I dig it.

http://truecultheavymetal.com/blog1.php/2012/01/05/premiere-swallow-the-sun-unveil-the-video-to-cathedral-walls

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

So like what's the problem that everyone has with Lars (aside from being a Danish twat)? I was listening to HoS and Call of Ktulu (and some other stuff that came up on shuffle) and his drumming sounds OK to me. What is it that I'm missing?

Don't say ears.

His drumming on the old stuff was merely adequate, rather than being exciting or really adding anything, and nowadays he sounds like he doesn't practice and can't keep up.

Also, Danish twat

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bruce Boxliker posted:

Yeah, this. Especially around where I live-pretty much every kind of extreme music that isn't awful high school metalcore/deathcore/screamo has banded together in one scene, resulting in basement shows with hardcore bands playing with black metal bands. There was a decent high school band around here that had a pretty good grasp on Immolation-style death metal for their age but they broke up a few months ago. But man, if you're not in the know it's hard to find local poo poo that isn't awful.

Yup. In my band we're pretty used to being the odd man out and getting weird stares from all the hardcore and thrash bands on the bill when we start setting up keyboards. You'd think there are enough people in NYC that this wouldn't be as much of a problem but for some reason we have to drive out to the sticks to play with real black and death metal bands.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Pretty much the same boat I'm in. I really wanna see Ghost, but I'm not into Mastodon really and I've seen Opeth twice already, plus I didn't care for Heritage.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I saw that show on the NY stop. Junius was cool and all, and Alcest was incredible, but no Ghost was beyond disappointing.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Man, I remember those guys when they were DragonHeart, their logo was in the Diablo font, and they were distributed through MP3.com. This discussion is making me feel old.

Haha holy poo poo, I remember this too. MP3.com was great. I'm pretty sure that's where I found out about Blind Guardian and Iced Earth.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 3, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

IRQ posted:

Only been out about a week anyway.

I think it's pretty good. Actually I find myself liking it more than their previous stuff. There's no songs that just plain draaaaaaag like they usually have.

Not out till next week in the US. The fact that albums release on different days in different countries in this day and age is straight retarded. It's out there available on the internet, but because I'm trying to give the band/label my money, I need to wait longer than if I pirated it.

I realize I could download it now and buy it when it comes out, or just wait because it's not really that big a deal, but it's stupid and encourages piracy by punishing legitimate customers.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Definitely gonna be hitting up the Jones Beach date. Maiden shows are the poo poo.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Xombie posted:

I really don't understand why Rammstein can't get better bands to open for them. Saving money for the elaborate sets maybe?

Truth. Combichrist or whoever it was I saw open for them on the last tour were poo poo too.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Jeff Loomis is one of my favorite guitarists but I was a little underwhelmed/bored by Zero Order Phase. That said, I'm so loving stoked for the track with Isahn.

Edit: Which is apparently streaming here: http://www.rockhard.de/megazine/praesentationen/jeff-loomis-surrender.html

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 12, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I like Alcest quite a bit, but I mean if the guy thinks they're boring or that they're not black metal enough for his tastes, he's entitled to his opinion.

At worst maybe he's letting annoyance at people calling Alcest black metal instead of black metal influenced post rock color his opinion. That's not something I personally give a flying gently caress about either way but, you know, whatever. That's his prerogative.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 14, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This post made me finally listen to Valley of Smoke last night, after having it on my computer for a long time and never hearing it. What a loving great album.

Reminded me that I hadn't picked up Valley of Smoke yet. What do you know, it's on sale on Google Music. This album kicks rear end.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Turk February posted:

Since I don't have a lot of time on my hands I can't be as in-depth as I would like in a discussion about Japanese metal, I have always been really fond of the way Japan has presented their death metal, grindcore, and goregrind. Bands like Catasexual Urge Motivation, Coffins, Flagitious Idiosyncracy In The Dilapidation, Intestine Baalism, Carcass Grinder, 324, Butcher ABC, and Bathtub Shitter are staples of my playlists. Good times.

I could never really get into grind type stuff, but it makes me happy that I live in a world where there are bands with names like Bathtub Shitter.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

I think most peoples problems with Amon Amarth is that every album is the same as the last. They're too consistent, in a way. They never try anything new, though I dont have a problem with that myself since I actually enjoy what they do quite a bit.

I feel like even people who really really like Amon Amarth will readily tell you that this is the caveat. On the other hand, they do what they do well and it's consistently enjoyable when that's what you're in the mood for.

And there's nothing like knocking out the home stretch of a run or lifting weights to Cry of the Black Birds.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

To Battle posted:

I was listening to Allegaeon today on a run, pretty loving catchy.

Just got into these guys fairly recently. Fragments of Form and Function is a loving awesome album.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Bit of shameless self promo, but my band just released a music video and we put it on that Wackentube site on the off chance people vote for us and we get to go to Germany. You have to sign up to rate videos, which blows, but I figured I'd at least drop it here for your listening pleasure.

Here's the Wackentube link
and here's a much higher quality version because the size limit on Wackentube is only 100mb so we had to compress the poo poo out of it.

It's a really simple video due to time/budget constraints (read: none of either) but I think it looks pretty rad so hopefully the metal thread approves.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Full stream of the new In Mourning album, The Weight of Oceans, which comes out next week, here

Pro tip: It loving rules.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 12, 2012

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

s0nar posted:

Got back from seeing Mastodon, Opeth, and Ghost.

Ghost is so far the most evil band I've seen live. Those dudes are creepy.

Opeth put on a good show and played Demon of the Fall and another really old song that escapes me.

Mastodon was also a good show. They played Blood and Thunder, so I was happy.

All in all, half an hour rock and roll Satan followed by two hours of prog-metal.

How did Mikael's growls sound? I know everybody made a big deal out of that Bloodbath video where he sounds awful, but he claims it was him not being used to in-ear monitors or something. Just curious.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

As far as black metal with other influences, I've been digging the gently caress out of Glorior Belli.

They released an album last year with some really great blues/southern rock-tinged black metal.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't personally fall into this category, but I can understand how some people would think "Man I sure liked that thing when I was younger" is a valid reason to get a tattoo. It's a reminder of who you were at that time in your life. If I got a tattoo I'd like it to be something more permanent or commemorating something more important, but I can see the other side of it.

Either way, Moonsorrow rules.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

IRQ posted:

I'm going to suggest Disillusion's Back to Times of Splendor. It has the German sensibilities you apparently like, along with being actual metal and some harsher vocals but not inaccessible and is also one of the best albums I think I have ever heard.

Seconding this so hard. This album is loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I posted about them a couple pages ago, but if you're into melodic death metal in the vein of Insomnium, the new In Mourning album, The Weight of Oceans, is really excellent.

Unfortunately Spinefarm is absolutely abysmal about releasing records in the US in a timely fashion, so you may have to search around for it. The new Swallow the Sun came out in like February and I still can't find it anywhere. Seriously, how hard is it to get that digital copies up on iTunes/Amazon etc?