Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

The Clit Avoider posted:

This though probably isn't for everyone.

I was a bit iffy because usually in this thread when someone says 'not for everyone', it's probably not for me, but this kicks rear end, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Nile good. I set a riff from one of their songs as my ringtone and it always gets some suspicious glances.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Opulent Ceremony posted:

You were right the first time

I liked it but, yeah, half the stuff on any given AOTY list is just "Hm, this is weird. Better put it on the list so people think I'm eclectic and open-minded," so anything unusual sounding (like Cattle Decapitation's vocals) gets them some extra points.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don't know if it's just because I really like the album or what but the production is growing on me. It's definitely overly compressed and claustrophobic but there's also a nice raw in your face feeling to it. It works in some bizarre way and somehow it doesn't hold back the very solid guitar tones on the album.

Speaking of great albums I've been working through my 2015 Apple Music backlog and I've listened to the newest Nile for a few days. It's up there with AOTW for me. They went in a memorable accessible direction this time around and it works. I'm surprised it didn't show up on many AOTY lists but it seems like people are getting worn out on the band.

It's really good but to be fair there's been a lot of quality stuff coming out this year and there's only so much space on any given AOTY list.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Went and saw Nightwish last night (I live in Singapore; there's not a lot of metal out here so I'll see just about anything). Symphonic power folk or whatever usually isn't my thing but they were actually a lot of fun. Also their new (female) lead singer is far and away the tallest member of the band.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

A human heart posted:

Doesn't singapore have quite a few cool grind and war metal type bands? Like you've got Wormrot and Impiety and I'm guessing a local scene that has more than that.

Yeah, there's definitely some good stuff here. The trouble is more that a lot of the bands don't seem to play very often, or if they do they're not mentioning it on their Facebook pages. Also I'm very lazy; too lazy to go poring over a dozen Facebook pages and Twitter feeds to see who's playing and when (but able to sit on my rear end reading this thread :v:).

Anyway, thanks for mentioning Wormrot. I hadn't heard them before. While we're on the subject of Singapore bands, there's also the (all female) Tormentress and (Indian mythology-themed) Rudra.

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 20, 2016

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Neurosis posted:

why would you be annoyed at something not being bad

getting more pleasure out of something being bad so you can rag on it than it being okay is some sadbrain poo poo

Quit putting a positive spin on things, rear end in a top hat!

e: Seriously, though, I kinda see what he means. At least if it was bad it'd be entertaining to make fun of, but we can't even do that with something that's boringly mediocre.

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 22, 2016

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I dunno guys we all like Satan a lot so liking Hitler doesn't actually seem that bad by comparison maybe?

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Also good thing we had a 'girls in metal' tangent because it allowed me to learn about Sacrliege, which I'm digging the hell out of, thanks man.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I'm a few pages late, but that 'modern thrash' tangent y'all went off on a couple pages ago was really killer; lots of great stuff in there.

I'm already backlogged trying to listen to all the cool stuff you guys are constantly posting, but I'm constantly tempted to just pick some random band from some random genre and go "I like X, from genre Y, what else would I like?" just to see the torrent of recommendations you'd all respond with.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Henchman of Santa posted:

The vocalist of The Body sounds like Lemongrab from Adventure Time.

gently caress. Never getting that out of my head.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Everyone shut the gently caress up and listen to this right now.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

Ninkharsag, blue-art-core meloblack

Going to start using this

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Girlfriend taking pole dancing classes.

Asked for song recommendations so I said "Lashed to the Slave Stick."

Any similarly awesome recs welcome.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

Friday release day because I remembered and am not busy at work:

ASM, war. I think this leaked a week or two ago, but is now actually out
Havukruunu EP, bm
Blood Red Throne on non-BC, dm
Untamed Land, spaghetti western tinged bm. Not fully out
Hegemon, bm
Outer Heaven EP, grindy dm
Eos, atmoblack
Devil's Reef, dm
Alda, atmoblack
Creeping Death EP, dm
The Breathing Process, melodeath
Atrę Bilis, brutal tech death
KRZTA, sludge
Norse, bm
Black Sites, progressive trad

Thanks for these updates, man. I always find a bunch of good stuff, or at the very least, interesting stuff I wouldn't have found otherwise.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Thank you all for saying "200 Stab Wounds" so often that the words lost meaning and it started sounding less stupid.

I dunno exactly what I was expecting from such a dumb name but it was not this, holy poo poo it rips.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Wayfarer - American gothic. Posting just so I have the excuse to use the genre title blueblackgrass before anyone else gets to it

e: fb :greenangel:

Murray Mantoinette fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's Panopticon's thing and not really part of the whole Western vibe Wayfarer has been doing, but maybe they added bluegrass element to this one.

Ah yeah Panopticon would have been a way better example of the term.