Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Could anyone recommend where I should start digging for getting into thrash? I've been listening to Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch and would like to find more like this. As these suggest, I dig the blackened thrash thing, and anything that has the same kind of rock the gently caress out feel to it like the newer Darkthrone releases, Kvelertak, etc. Aura Noir are pretty cool.

I like:

Send More Paramedics
Lich King
Artillery
Havok
Destruction

I know enough about the bigger names like Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica etc. Past these, I've heard a bit of those like Exodus, Testament, Kreator, Overkill, but don't really know where to start with all this.

Help? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

GuyMan posted:

Death Angel? I wouldn't really call it thrash but you could also check out the new american heritage or horned almighty for some all-out metal.

Just checked out 'Bored' and 'Truce' by Death Angel. Both are loving awesome, thanks! Seems both their older and newer stuff is great at a first glance. :)

Looked up a few American Heritage songs... Not feeling it. Horned Almighty is interesting, I dig a lot of the "new old school" stuff.

Cheers! :black101:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

I really enjoyed Hexen, will be getting State of Insurgency. This is exactly what I'm after. :rock:

Gospel of the Horns is sick, I love that evil rock and roll kinda thing. Same goes for Nifelheim. I think a lot of bands that try to do this sort of thing just sound really flat, but this owns.

Deathwish, Destroyer 666 and Warbringer are good. Especially Deathwish.

Chakal and Demolition Hammer are alright.

Didn't dig Vulcano or Sarcofago much, though. I'll look at other tracks when I have some more time but they didn't really grab me.

No-one mentioned them but in my search I've found Coroner and Municipal Waste. Yeaaah! :rock:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Misogynist posted:

I feel the need to impress upon you how dirty and nasty this style should sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETYLFBvf1kc

This owns, thanks for posting it.

I have a hard time finding death metal I like - about the only DM band I really dig is Bolt Thrower. I fuckin' love Bolt Thrower.

People always seem to recommend Hail of Bullets if you like Bolt Thrower, but I don't really get why. The war theme? Take the first 1:17 of Ordered Eastwards. I want more like this. After 1:17, I find I lose interest. I am totally loving into this right until it 'kicks in'.

That Entombed song has given me a kick to find more like this. Could anyone recommend me some 'slow' death metal? Bolt Thrower 'slow' is fine, so is Winter slow. Not necessarily death/doom, but yeah... Less goregrind-y, more groovy. :coal:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Thanks, m-o-o-n. These are all pretty nice, liking Autopsy and Slugathor. Really liking Cianide!

Optimum Gulps posted:

You might like Sonne Adam.

YES. THIS. :black101:

e: Cianide loving own.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
Thanks again for the death metal recommendations. I've been listening to them a bit more. Cianide, Grave and Slugathor are all great.

During my searching I found a band called Krypts and I'm really impressed. I gotta find more poo poo like this. They use the brutal feel as a tool and not the entire drat song, which I find supremely boring. Check it out, it's awesome.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I just discovered Black Knight and I can't help but grin like an idiot when I listen to this.

It is awesome. :colbert:

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

RHTITE posted:

There is nothing of Black Metal in this silly band. Raspy vocals and production do not Black Metal make.

I hadn't heard of Glorior Belli until that link, but I'd be interested in you explaining how the section of the song that starts at 2:45 doesn't sound black metal influenced at all. :crossarms:

Aaanyway, I enjoy stoner/doom and black metal and it's cool to see them together. Cheers Drifter287, I'll be checking these dudes out. :)

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

RHTITE posted:

I'm one of those dorks that isn't as concerned with the aesthetics of the music as much as the spirit and composition of the music as I understand it. You can blast beat, rasp, and surf strum your guitar all day and it won't be Black Metal if it ain't Black Metal, know what I mean? It's the same reason that whenever I hear "Blackened-Thrash" nowadays I go 0-100 instantly. It's just Thrash Metal with a different icing on top man argh.

No, I don't really get what you mean. You only consider it black metal if it's sounds just like De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas and/or is about Satan, occult forces, forests and snow?

Would you also argue that 'there is nothing of black metal' in the more recent Darkthrone releases, because it's not pure unholy black metal? Kvelertak? Barathrum? Primordial?

Is black metal your favourite genre and so perhaps you place it on a pedestal, not wanting to to see it corrupted with lesser influences?

Just in case it comes off like it - I'm genuinely not attacking you at all, I just don't get this mentality and want to understand. We're all brothers and sisters in :black101: here.

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
I stumbled upon a weird band you guys might enjoy - Hail Spirit Noir.

It's sorta, um... blackened psychedelic rock?

Pretty neat!

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Nordick posted:

Yeah that. I was trying to put my finger on what it was I like about this stuff, that sums it up nicely.
I mean, I'm usually not that keen on straight up black metal, but it does occasionally hit the spot. Plus I really like when it's used as a sort of flavouring.
So I'm gonna heck out Nemesis Divina and Volcano. Thanks for the advice, guys.

I love 'blackened' [other stuff] too. You might like these:

Fuckin' DARKTHRONE :black101:
Kvelertak
Midnight
Omega
Bewitched
Toxic Holocaust

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

By Fenriz' neckbeard! Thanks for posting this, it loving rules! :black101:

I do love the Transilvanian Hunger #DCLXVI style of black metal, but I've mostly been into the more atmospheric and ambient styled bands recently, like White Ward, Mirkwood, Drudkh, Igric, etc. :)

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Also need to throw this into the ring as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2Y7BjuLM5U

Metal with banjos. There may be a reason why nobody's ever done it before.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing. :cawg:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Horizon
Sep 21, 2005

It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.
It is that black.

Measly Twerp posted:

Amaranthe - The Nexus
Ahhhg, too many vocalists in this power metal band. For some reason I'm liking it, what the gently caress, nope I hate it. poo poo, this music is schizophrenic, half good half cheese.

I like this song and it confuses the hell out of me. I really dislike metalcore, have little to no interest in power metal or pop music, but this song... Why do I like this song?

Is this what having a guilty pleasure feels like?

[ Post Redeeming Content Here ]