Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005
re: blind guardian - this, which I think I found in the related videos on a clip linked in the previous thread, is what got me started with BG. After seeing that video, I went out to the record store with the intention of buying whichever album it was that had that song on it (Follow the Blind). I have since bought pretty much everything else they've released. It's all good.

Torabi - most "real" metal people (which is to say metal snobs, which are about half a step above hipsters imo) despise Disturbed, and, for that matter all nu-metal bands. I like their first three albums quite a bit myself, but they've gone downhill lately. Hopefully this "extended hiatus" they're going on after this tour will inject some new life into the band. Volbeat's not bad, but they're nothing really special either, at least to my ears.

kaosAG fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

neckbeard posted:

This picture is pretty much the epitome of a metal show, and that is awesome. All this heavy, angry sounding music, but (usually) the coolest, most considerate people just rocking out and having a great time.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005
Can't leave Iced Earth and Blind Guardian out of power metal, oh no :o I'd also note that Power Metal features mostly clean vocals.

I'm no good at genre typing or whatever, but what about symphonic metal stuff...i.e. nightwish, epica, etc? Is melodeath or gothenburg or whatever the gently caress you call it distinct from plain 'ol death metal?

Also band names/albums/song titles on the youtube links like Dameius did would be awesome.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

IRQ posted:

What is "djent" anyway?

Meshuggah and bands that sound like them, so far as I can tell. (there's a description in the OP of the thread linked above)

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

You don't have video embedding enabled?

Guess I better fix my poo poo then. For some reason I thought that was enabled by default.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005
Oh hey it's annual post Blind Guardian videos time!

here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozEQXl8Fbew

Any band that can make a crowd do that is worth listening to, imo. There's also Gamma Ray and Hammerfall for power metal stuff.

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Houseplant posted:

This, with the new Tengger Cavalry, cures that folk itch.

This is cool as hell, I love a little folk metal now and then for a change of pace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Radio Paranoia posted:

I don't know about "own style". It felt to me like she was attempting to copy Angela down to the vocal style and "moves" (for want of a better word). She's got a good voice, but until she does something more unique I really couldn't tell the difference by ear alone.

Here's Alissa with the Agonist (apparently now her old band), who happen to be one of my favorites. Not sure if I like their new vocalist now that I've had a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktern47YmPo

As for the new AA, well, I'll probably have to pick it up now. I didn't much like Angela's vocals, she always sounded a bit flat to me, kinda like she was trying too hard to sound like generic growly deathmetal dude. On the other hand, I love Alissa, she's got great range, and can sing clean too, if they want to go in that direction. And as far as wearing anti-capitalist propaganda goes, that's right up her alley...great singer, kinda stupid worldview. Win some, lose some, I guess.