Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Dismember announced today that the band has called it quits: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=164728

Pioneers and leaders of extreme metal in the 90s, they never really got back on track after Fred left the band a few years ago. They had a great run, but it's a shame that I never got to see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Turk February posted:

The one that is really going to hurt is when Napalm Death announces their split. All of the guys are in their mid-forties and Barney is almost fifty. God damnit, I just made myself even more depressed, because it will happen some time.

Don't worry, Barney is only 42 and they just finished a new album. They have been surprisingly active through recent years and those guys have been at it so long that they seem to do nothing but play in bands (at least Shane). While Dismember were hardly active, Napalm Death have just kept going, it's amazing for guys who have been doing it for so long.

As a reminder of how much rear end he kicks, here's a video of Barney from ND covering Metallica with Dream Theater: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYu3jSpHYc8

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Turk February posted:

Why the gently caress did I think Barney was almost fifty? I must be confusing him with someone else. As amazing as Napalm Death are, it is even more amazing that it's just been the same core group of guys since the mid-90s creating awesome songs one after another.

I can't wait for that new album that comes out in (I believe) January. It was supposed to come out either this month or next, but it got postponed for some reason. Oh well, as long as I get my Napalm Death fix then we're all good.

I'm just going to guess that you were thinking of Martin van Drunen, who is similar to Barney in that they both had successful tenures in early death metal bands (Pestilence & Benediction) and had moved on to new bands by 1991 (Asphyx & Napalm Death). van Drunen is 45 or 46 and he's the one that is fairly similar in my mind.

Pete Sandoval is 48, Trey and Dave are 46. Drumming at such an insane pace at almost 50 years old is mind-blowing though, especially when he's recovering from back surgery and talking about pushing the boundaries of deathgrind with a new Terrorizer album.

The thing that really strikes me with these guys isn't the more successful bands like Iron Maiden or Morbid Angel still touring (and headlining), it's the ones like Napalm Death that are incredibly important but still touring low. I saw ND in 2006 in the fourth slot opening for Hatebreed, below Exodus and The Black Dahlia Murder. Shane Embury was in the band before I was born ('88), they were touring out of an old van when Tomas Lindberg handed them an At The Gates demo, ATG became legends and broke up 15 years ago, and every metalhead knows who both bands are. Napalm Death didn't split up, they haven't gone three years without making an album since the 80s, and these guys are in their 40s playing lower support slots on the other side of the world, living out of a van. They have two decades of doing what is often too much for guys half their age, it's unbelievable.

Barney is a really smart guy too, despite being English he was quite well-versed in American politics and spent quite some time talking to and 18 year old me about various subjects while bands above them played and nobody else even recognized him. Five years and many shows later that has set in and it still doesn't click in my mind with anything other than insane dedication to music.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 18, 2011

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

nerve posted:

"Lulu doesn't appeal to the masses because it is challenging for the listener. Those who don't "get it" won't make it through a whole song, let alone a whole album. If you like experimental, hosed up, trippy, proggy, heavy, monolouge, storytelling, concept, avante garde, structure raping, disturbed, experience music, then Lou Reed & Metallica's Lulu album is for you. If you don't like this side of music and prefer straight-forward songs, you won't find any here. loving masterpiece of an album. Really breaks new ground. Not just an album, it's an EXPERIENCE! Not everyone will like the album, it's not "accessable" to alot of people. It'll be challenging for most listeners with long, experimental songs. The album sounds loving crazy."

:stare:

That would be more believable if the music wasn't just half-assed Metallica riffs that sound like they were written for Death Magnetic and didn't make the cut, then were repeated for a long time because Lou wasn't done rambling. Lou's delivery is just abrasive, it sounds like a grandfather trying to read Slipknot lyrics while trying to keep a straight face. The album doesn't feel like what they're describing, it sounds like a really bad instance of these guys kinda doing their thing and not pulling it off.

On the other hand, William Shatner's album came out last week and he's got the weird, storytelling over music thing going alright. It's almost like a new-age spoken-folk thing backed by covers of all sorts of popular songs, it's harder to get into some of the songs I know, but as long as I'm not giving it 100% attention, it's a decent listen.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Oops, edited out this post instead of posting a new one. Fixed!

Metalcore
Description: There are two sides of metalcore - the metal side and the melodic hardcore side. This is the metal thread so we'll cover the metal side. Metalcore often has conventional song structures - sung choruses, screamed verses, breakdowns as bridges. Heavily influenced by melodic death metal and breakdown-oriented hardcore. The term is broadly used, but is most commonly associated with a wave of bands that gained popularity in the early 2000s. More recently a variation called "deathcore" has focused much more on breakdowns and the brutality of death metal and forgone the singing and catchy melodies.
Regions Associated: Massachusetts
Goon Recommendations: All That Remains, Darkest Hour, Lamb of God, Misery Signals, The Acacia Strain
Videos:
Metalcore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPW9AbRMwFU
Deathcore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVzyT-gWQjc
Metallic Hardcore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sq8ZlyvH6E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXKZDflFzu4

We also have a Metalcore/Deathcore/Whatever-core on Something Awful.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 22, 2011

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I figured that a lot of the popular metal from the past decade or so has been related to metalcore, largely due to the radio-friendly style of the MA scene. Would it be useful, or too much information, to do write-ups of more separated sub-genres like Death/Doom & Melodic Death Metal?

Thrash Metal
Description: Combines the aggression of hardcore punk with the riffing of heavy metal. Popularized by the SF Bay Area thrash scene in the 1980s (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer), the German teutonic thrash bands that influenced extreme metal more (Destruction, Kreator, Sodom), and NYC area thrash (Anthrax, Overkill, S.O.D.). Crossover thrash blends thrash more heavily with hardcore and d-beat punk (Cryptic Slaughter, D.R.I., Nuclear Assault). More extreme thrash metal began to evolve into death metal in the late 80s and early 90s, and many early DM bands began as thrash bands with more abrasive vocals (Death, Morbid Angel, Possessed)
Regions Associated: Germany, New York City, San Francisco Bay Area
Goon Recommendations: Bands listed above plus: Death Angel, Dark Angel, Demolition Hammer, Exodus, Pestilence, Vio-Lence
Videos: We'll assume you have heard Metallica and Megadeth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9GWNFLHg58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1aPQY0c7zY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdcLtPujuSw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PyvU9iSq50

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Dead Man Posting posted:

We can make each band in the Goon Recommnedations clickable, but where do you guys want them to go to? Last.fm? Wikipedia? Band's website? Spotify sample song? YouTube sample song?

Metal Archives is my preferred resource, it should cover every band recommended except Animals as Leaders and the two that I listed as not-so-metal metallic hardcore. I'll re-do the metalcore videos to condense it down to four that really cover the genre well later, since I put eight to cover subgenres.

Recommendations to add:

Black Metal: Forest of Fog, Wigrid
Grindcore: Pig Destroyer

For death metal, should it be broken into subgenres at all? Melodic death metal, death/doom, death/thrash - that genre will probably accumulate the most recommendations so it might help to split it up a bit. Maybe -1999 and 2000-?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

nerve posted:

Wow when did MA remove AAL? They were on there a couple weeks ago last I checked.

About a week ago. I'm disappointed that I will no longer be getting angry PMs about my 0% review :(

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Turk February posted:

It is especially useless when trying to provide "labels" to specific bands, particularly those that we know have contributed very much in terms of musical influence to their respective sub-genres as a whole.

Maybe it's just me, but I have found it is so much better to discover and correctly label bands on your own, that way you do not already have some idiotic pre-conceived notion of an album being something that it absolutely isn't. Sure, maybe give a couple very general bands to start off with, but nothing more than that, otherwise we begin to attach our own dumb subjective thoughts to anything we recommend.

Really, the world of heavy metal is so loving large that it feels like an absolute waste being told what you should like. Go explore on your own, it is ridiculously fun.

It's useful to have a generalized guide to help out with some of the bigger names in each style and give a broader idea, since it's a lot more convenient than individually answering posts about "what's this?" and "where do I start?" - if you're familiar with the content of the OP in general it should be easy to dive right in and talk more about specifics. I think it's also a lot better than looking to Wikipedia to get an idea of genres. I often find myself repeating things I have already said when asked about more general topics.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

QPZIL posted:

So I got into Dissection last week and I've been addicted ever since. Where do I go from here?

Unanimated's "Ancient God of Evil", Thulcandra's "Under A Frozen Sun", then check out the other releases from those bands. I hear Watain recommended for fans of Dissection, but I never got into them.

To go a bit off target, check out Eucharist and Sacrilege, both Gothenburg bands that put out some solid melodic death metal with darker touches. Eucharist's demo (downloadable from their website) is worth checking out in additon to the full lengths. "A Velvet Creation" is darker, "Mirrorworlds" is smoothed out and refined more.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 24, 2011

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

I wouldn't call Eucharist Gothenburg at all either. They aren't from the region and their music while approaching it, never really becomes it.

While being from a different municipality/state, they were really close to Gothenburg and were strongly associated with the scene there. The sound is a bit different than the other bands as their first came out around when ATG put out "With Fear" and before IF and DT put out albums, then their second one came after Whoracle and TMI so the biggest bands had each put out three albums and they still had a lot of the older sound. Gothenburg MDM is the best generalization I can use to describe them so I'd still use that.

Going through your recommendations that I haven't heard, will report back.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Gr31lly posted:

They're just melodic death metal. It was actually a term used quite frequently before Gothenburg, and there's, for example, no way on earth you can tell me At The Gates' Red in the Sky is Ours and With Fear are what is now termed Gothenburg (although later albums define it), but they are definitely a form of melodic death metal. Similarly, Carcass' Heartwork, while definitely a massive influence on Gothenburg (and later metalcore), is not referred to anything other than melodic death metal.

Gothenburg itself as a term has evolved to mean much more than just "melodic death metal from the gothenburg scene", and the connotations that term carries with it apply to Eucharist about as soundly as they do to Arghoslent. That is to say, not very well.

Eucharist hardly sound like Carcass or Arghoslent though, A Velvet Creation has a similar sound to earlier ATG with much more streamlined songwriring, while Mirrorworlds sounds closest to Terminal Spirit Disease. I suppose Gothenburg (GBG) is mostly associated with later IF/DT, but I mentally associate the GBG scene with the bands that differentiated their sound from the Stockholm sound and other death metal sounds. After 1997 or so, the prominent GBG bands began to reinvent themselves and evolve into the Swedish/Northern European sound that became commercially successful - the sound shaped by Soilwork, Scar Symmetry, and later IF/DT is sometimes referred to as a Gothenburg sound, but the sound wasn't as regionally centralized and late 90s/early-mid 00s melodic death metal included Finns, Swedes, and I think some Danes and Germans too.

It's kind of a pointless argument since the labels are arbitrary, but that's how I organize the sounds in my mind, with early ATG and Eucharist not having completely differentiated their style yet, but showing signs of it.

The melodic blackish death metal bands like Dissection and Unanimated are great though, thanks for recommending them and the other bands you threw in there. I remember several of them from the "Death Is Just The Beginning" compilations but I haven't listened to many of them in years. It's a shame those compilations came in digipacks that got completely wrecked when I carried them around, I loved those when I was in high school and I need to revisit many of these bands.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

QPZIL posted:

Gr31lly where do you find these bands, how do you do it

Seriously! I have been nerding it up on metal sites for a decade and my head imploded a few tracks into the third top notch album in a row of those you recommended. Holy poo poo dude, I am impressed and grateful.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Oct 26, 2011

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

Last.fm actually does its job once in a while if you wait and sift long enough. Thulcandra, Unanimated and Watain came up for Dissection radio but there's a LOT of misses to skip over.

I find it more effective to sort through the bands tagged as similar on the website rather than using the radio. The selection of tracks gets really repetitive, especially with bands with limited discographies.

QPZIL posted:

I love them, but I can't for the life of me figure out their message.

I do know a guy tried to got in my face for mentioning liking them at a show.

There's an album name about "bigotry", then there's a guy who goes by "Holocausto", then there's a song about raping a slave, there's a split named after a line from "The White Man's Burden", and all the songs about tribes being corrupted - typical righteous racist bullshit. They use a lot of antiquated and obscure language to hold their beliefs sacred, or to be pseudo-intellectual jackasses, depending on who you ask. The song "In Coffles They Were Led" is about beating down savage slaves and chaining them together and leading them in packs, then they get to the part that goes "may Christian faith release us from this guilt" and you can put together a complete stereotype of the ignorant people that they are.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Black metal Halloween costumes are all about playing the part:

(the theme was "party like a rockstar")

Also, that SX/IE/Wb tour loks great, I'll be going to the Hartford show, maybe the NJ or NYC show since a friend likes to see SX multiple times per tour and I can probably get a ride to one of those.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

That's why people [used to] wear their own band shirts.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Defiant Sally posted:

Ive been blasting some good death metal tapes lately and most recently the new Vallenfyre album. Im in the mood for some more stuff with that sick chainsaw guitar tone like you hear in Bloodbath and Vallenfyre. Any suggestions?

Some goon many pages ago posted his band "Cult of Endtime" which also has this guitar tone and I loving love it. poo poo owns for lifting weights.

Preferably in the same style, tempo, etc. but im not picky.

I hadn't heard Vallenfyre until now, but I'll listen to anything with chainsaw guitars. Sounds sick, listened to a few songs and I will need to get the album.

Are you looking primarily for slower death/doom stuff with the guitar aesthetics of the old Stockholm sound, or anything with a similar guitar tone over-saturated with distortion? Are you familiar with any of the recent Dismember/Entombed/Grave clones? Hail of Bullets have the chainsaw tone with more modern production, mostly a faster tempo though. Asphyx albums with MvD are musically similar with a similar guitar sound, not quite the chainsaw. Entrails mostly match up with the chainsaw death/doom feeling I get from that. Miasmal are probably a bit off-target, but they came to mind.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Not Very Metal posted:

This is very important. I bought a Carpathian Forest t-shirt from a Totally Legit E-Bay store, and the screen on the front is a solid 2 inches off center.

I have a few shirts bought from "reputable" places with off-center or crooked printing. JSRdirect handles official merch for a lot of big metal bands, but their quality is poo poo. I have a Death shirt and the print is a few inches off center and tilted at least 15 degrees, and a Morbid Angel shirt from them that's 3" shorter than most XL shirts and the print wore out really quickly. I haven't bought anything from them or anyone supplied by them for about five years, but most of the shirts I've gotten from them had problems with them.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

11 new Agoraphobic Nosebleed are on soundcloud, they're also on the Decibel flexi vinyl series. A bit noisier and grindier than usual, but good.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

That's funny you say that because I've found they're one of the only 2xl shirt places made for tall instead of fat.

But yeah they ABSOLUTELY put top effort into their shirts. My Emperor shirt has the gold glittery lettering, sleeve emblems, a sweet faded in cover on the back. I got a Death/Leprosy shirt too that is unreal, and no other place sells it.

Sounds like I need to get a start getting shirts from them when I need some more. I have a ton of shirts from MerchNow since they had a bunch of shirts for metalcore bands that were sized for scene kids to wear down to their knees. I'm a giant so they fit just right.

Gr31lly posted:

I just dislike walking about with "extreme music for extreme people" (to cite a well-known and stupid slogan) plastered all over my back - or even worse, the dreaded band photo. Lyrics are a two-way street, you either look stupid or you offend people and look stupid. I have more than a few t-shirts that would have the Bundespolizei thinking about fines purely because of a backprint and/or loving runes down the sleeves.

Primordial's t-shirts aren't actually that bad, in the sense, yes there's sleeve prints, but they're not repeated, and the backprint isn't . Nemty himself isn't much of a fan of the repeated prints as far as I can remember, but seeing as he cuts the sleeves off of just about every short sleeve he owns...

I completely agree with you on this. I have hilariously hideous Sodom and Symphony X shirts with awful pictures of the band on the back.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

captainOrbital posted:

What do you guys think about Fedoras?

If they wore a fedora before Kennedy killed the American hat, it is acceptable. Otherwise, no.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Yes, but the question really is: what is the best band shirt to go with a fedora?

Personally, I prefer the ones by Rhapsody (of Fire). Maybe Hammerfall, if I'm feeling Scandinavian.

Blackguard, Dragonforce, or Powerglove. Blind Guardian if you're at least civilized enough to take off the hat when you go indoors.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I know people that wear a fedora, duster and Blackguard/Powerglove shirt. It sure is something.

The best part is that they don't know why I'm laughing at them.

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Only shirts I would not wear is from any NS bands. I have a bald head and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

I have long hair and I really don't want to get mistaken with those jerk offs.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

rxcowboy posted:

The vocals in any band are a sticking point for me. I checked out Obituary and loved the sound, hated the angry cookie monster vocals. Maybe it's an acquired taste since I'm still relatively "new" to metal, I'll check them out again.

What's a good starting song for Morbid Angel and Brutality?

Morbid Angel changed quite a bit over the years, being a lot thrashier earlier, having more groove-oriented riffing and a sludgy overall feel on Domination, and changing quite a bit and experimenting more after that, when frontman David Vincent left the band. I'd recommend listening to the Morbid Angel albums in order - they were released on alphabetical order, so far they've made an album for each letter A-I. Their first four are generally regarded as their classic era. Here's my favorite song from the debut:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WrsHk2pcik

You might also like Pestilence's first two, the first was thrashier while the second was more evolved into death metal. Martin van Drunen's vocals were somewhat similar to Chuck's vocals on early Death on the debut, within a few years becoming a tortured howl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0HGJ6DZAf8

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Wow, that's terrible.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I heard Appetite For Destruction songs played on the area classic rock radio station here. I died a little that day.

The music-on-tv channels I get are the most hosed up. They play stuff from the 90s as oldies or classic rock, like Slipknot and barely-radio-friendly nu-metal stuff. The metal station also plays Asking Alexandria and Staind, it's completely unpredictable and really confusing. There's also a jazz channel that will occasionally get stuck in a mood of classic rock or blues with no jazz whatsoever.

My point is that people involved in broadcasting music, especially with the decline of radio, can often be really detached from it.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

thepitgoddess posted:

My shows? I'm not a booker, these aren't my shows. I just like it when people go to stuff so bands come back, so I'm just promoting.

Also, if I had to guess, I'd say because Ft. L and miami are far as hell, expensive to drive to and the crowd could suck. I've been to some dead rear end shows there. It's probably not worth the gamble. So there's one FL date because people will drive once and congregate, the band can probably break even and it's less of a drive back out.

If the band has a driver, that driver can only drive like...8 or 9 hours before he has to take a legally mandated break. Shows have been cancelled because TMs don't take that into account. It's what, 12 hours from ATL to Miami?

I never thought of the legally mandated breaks with drivers, but I have noticed that while making a loop around the northeast, it seems that more than a few bands that I saw in Hartford, CT had their next stop in Ohio. I remember Deicide hanging out after a show talking about how they were skipping their Ohio show the next day, and Threat Signal had a handful of shows opening on different tours that had been booked by a manager that they fired - their frontman was driving and the rest of the band were hanging out, and they mentioned their hellish schedule was something like Ontario-Hartford-Cleveland on consecutive days.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a lot of tours have skipped the northeast recently? I know bands often pass over CT because the venues are limited, and it's really close to Boston and NYC, plus Poughkeepsie and Worcester have multi-stage venues. A few tours haven't even hit NYC though, I saw a few and the closest show was DC/Philly/Pittsburgh/Rochester, and it seems odd that they skipped some huge markets. I don't think I have ever seen a bad turnout for a show in NYC, even on weeknights it seems pretty easy to sell tickets since there are so many people nearby.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

IRQ posted:

Good news gents, and the like 2 ladies, being into metal is now a disability! If you're in Sweden.

Here in the USA I guess I'll just continue wearing metal shirts under my dress shirts. :smith:

News from a few years ago, but hey, the USA isn't exactly a progressive place anymore.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Crimsonjewfro posted:

I didn't get to talk much with Corpsegrinder, there was a lot of people around waiting to get their pics taken/stuff signed, but I did get to talk with Trevor from The Black Dahlia Murder about barbecue. :lol: Cool dude too, shame I don't really like the band.

I didn't like them live, but I did like their last two albums. I still need to give them another shot live, it's kind of a tough spot when you're playing above Napalm Death and Exodus.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Minto Took posted:

Is Deicide worth going to see? They play here quite a bit so I was curious.

They have a reputation for missing shows, and they're really hit-or-miss. They used to be one of my favorites, but I lost a lot of respect for them because of the show-skipping, drama with ex-members, and Jack Owen's ties to white supremacist groups.

thepitgoddess posted:

Benton's voice is hosed and he's just kind of...lazy onstage. If Jack Owen is not doing the tour it might be ok. Otherwise, Jack Owen is basically a hat rack. Dude barely could play the songs and tried to disappear into the curtains when I saw them.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant, so I looked it up and came up with something that I hope you don't mean:

2. hat rack
a self-sexual act in which a male hangs a hat from his penis and swings it around in circles.
also knopwn as hat-spinning or rack riding.
Jeff: what you up to tonight?
david: well, no ones gonna be in so im gonna do a hat rack.
Jeff: niiiice! *high fives*

:stare:

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Just remembered that Revolver magazine named Korn's "dubstep" album their best record of the year.

I will never stop laughing at this

It outsold Metallica, it must be the best!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Outer Isolation by Vektor has to be album of the year for 2011. If not that, then Thrash metal album of the year. I cannot get enough of this album, especially the closing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUEN6Hkrc9M

Holy gently caress, go buy this album!

Wow, that's amazing, I had never heard of the band until now. Thanks!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

DimeFest. Oh joy.

It'd be nice if there were good bands on the bill.

I saw 'Enemy Soil' at first, then I realized the weird font said 'On Enemy Soil' :( You could probably see a lot of bad covers of Walk and Cowboys From Hell though!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I'd like to second "Satan". Bongripper's "Satan" is 10+ minutes of seamlessly blending black/death/doom, it has a great atmosphere from leaving some roughness (higher frequencies of guitars/drums) in a clean, but not polished mix. It's four dudes without a record label, recording the most extreme music they can, handling their own production, and just kicking rear end in general.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I don't think you get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puwllq0fBLs

Gaahl will explain it for you.

edit: I do agree with you though. I love Bongripper and I wish they had more than 1 song with screaming, but it's ok. They're still awesome.

I get it, I just didn't want to post "awesome avatar/title/post combo" since that's dumb :( A well-worded post provides more content and comedy than alluding to the obvious.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Are there any band's doing music like Carcass' Swansong? Like hard rock with death metalish vocals. Still one of my favorite albums, and I haven't really heard anything much like it. Multiple cowbell solos are a plus.

Are you familiar with death n roll at all? Entombed's "Wolverine Blues" and stuff like that. Entombed, Six Feet Under, Gorefest's '96 and '98 albums, and Helltrain are the ones that come to mind. I realize that none of those are quite like "Swansong", but it might be what you're looking for.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Turk February posted:

However, I couldn't fine a good thrash album this year. By all accounts I should be a Warbringer fan, but all their material has just left me flaccid. Megadeth and Anthrax put out boring albums, which was expected. Are there any unknown thrash acts I may be overlooking who put out a quality release this year? I want Dark Angel to make another "Darkness Descends", god damnit!

Have you heard Vektor's "Outer Isolation"?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Turk February posted:

This is an unwritten rule in most clubs I frequent as long as there are some actual metal bands on the bill. If you happen to be the only huge guy in the vicinity, you know what to do.

Watching the hardcore kids getting the poo poo beat out of them during Napalm Death's set was loving hilarious.

I saw Napalm Death open for Hatebreed, that was fun. I think the worst was Whitechapel sandwiched between two bands I wanted to see, someone decided to pick up another person onto their shoulder and swing them around to kick peoples faces. It was an impressive domino effect and I ended up with about 30 people trying to get in my face until they figured out that face kicking isn't cool.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

llama_arse posted:

Can one of you fine gentlemen recommend me some bands with sci-fi themed/inspired lyrics a la Voivod, Hypocrisy and The Faceless?

Vektor's "Outer Isolation" (and their first album too, but I haven't heard it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Basically, stuff laden with midrange and reverb, and banking on textured tremolo-picking rather than the derivative pedal-point Slaughter of the Soul rhythm guitars that took over the entire genre a couple of years later.

I think you'd like a lot of the black/death metal that was sort of in the periphery of the Gothenburg scene. The obvious/prominent one that you've likely heard is Dissection. My personal favorite is Unanimated, and the textured tremolo picking laden with midrange and reverb is available in large doses from Sacramentum. Thulcandra are a modern clone of these bands.

Decameron border on what you might not like with SOTS, but their one album is fairly varied throughout, so it's worth a listen, as is their 1991 demo. Dawn feature the vocalist from In Flames' Subterranean and their output was more on the black metal side early on, but also a bit different in their later years. There's also Swordmaster, who are kind of a B-rate band who gained infamy because their guitarist's brother was the frontman of Dissection.

I'd guess at least a few of these are what Mr. Avoider referred to as "the obvious". Speaking of Eucharist, if you haven't heard their demo (not the rehearsal), it's at least as good as their full-lengths and free to download from their website.

Zodijackylite fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 14, 2012