Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I made a post in the Halloween thread about putting a Gaahl costume together. Anyone have any advice? Maybe on some of the core metal gear like corpse paint?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3435011&userid=89358

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Durendal posted:

Just found out that some of the new Redemption album leaked. Its a little heavier than Snowfall on Judgement Day from what I have heard, and for the most part it really sounds like a decent follow up.

Totally forgot about this band since their 2007 album.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I need advice on doing corpse paint. At stores I see grease makeup and cream makeup and I'm not sure what's best. I've read about more professional stuff like Kryolan and that is cream (Behemoth uses Kryolan Supracolor apparently). I've looked at guides online, but they don't really talk about the materials to use. Any and all advice on other materials is welcome too!

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Morbid Florist posted:

I've used stuff from halloween stores every year without a problem. I'm not sure what kind it is but it's cheap and seems to dry after a little bit, it doesn't seem to rub off on too much stuff. The dust can get on a black shirt and stand out but what can you do...

If it helps you remember at all, cream comes in a tube and grease comes in a little tray like water color paint sort of would.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Anyone have a good link to stream it?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
New Insomnium (melo-death) album can be streamed here http://www.inferno.fi/inferno-tarjoaa-kuuntele-uusi-insomnium-levy-6156/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
My Gaahl costume that everyone loved surprisingly. Lots of picture requests when we were out.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Ha that's awesome.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I did end up getting a good shot of me playing the part in my Gaahl costume at our work party. Wasn't even intentional.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
No one when I wore it to a bar on Saturday and no one yesterday at work.

The closest guesses I got were The Crow by two girls and another girl who said her brother watched Metalocalypse. The rest of the reactions were about it being scary looking. It fits in with the Halloween theme better than an obscure comic book character so I guess people just have better reactions.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Zodijackylite posted:

Wintersun's 'Time I' has been delayed again, it's release is being pushed back once more.

http://blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=179413

So it begins

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is there no album stream somewhere for new Enslaved? Comes out in Europe today, so I expected something since every band does that now.

edit: Oh I guess it comes out Friday

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 25, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Why hasn't there been a single released for new Wintersun yet?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I see people saying that the Time leak might not be the final mix?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I don't know if this is even a question that can be answered, but I'm curious what the general appeal of grindcore is (if there is one, maybe just a quick sentence to describe it). Seems like it gets talked about a lot in here meaning it would be relatively more "mass appealing", but I really struggle listening to it.

edit: anyone watch Dexter? The most recent episode had a scene with some metal playing and it sounded like grindcore so maybe someone can identify it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Time is streaming if you haven't heard it yet http://www.wintersun.fi/album-stream/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I wonder if they watched Metalocalypse this season?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Has anyone from the US gone to Europe to see multiple festivals in a two week trip or so? I want to do that sometime.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Wintersun posted this on facebook: http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/

They were number 2 the first week in Finland. I expected number 1 to be a pop act or something, but it's another metal band. How does that happen?! I've never heard of Mokoma and I would think that with such a big international following, Wintersun must have a huge Finnish following.

Time is great though. I thought it was too complicated at first, but after listening to it a lot, I feel like I have a good grasp of everything.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I saw that the first God Seed album (Gaahl's new band) just came out. Haven't seen anyone talk about it. Any good?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What do you guys do to keep track of the recommendations posted in the thread? I like this Barren Earth song, but I'm probably not going to remember them. I did add it to my favorites on youtube, but that's a big mess that I never look at after I add something.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Who's pumped to see Wintersun in the US this week?!

I'm surprised that Eluveitie is a bigger act than them. I guess they have actually made music in the past 8 years though.

edit: Haha no posts over 24 hours later, so I guess no one.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 28, 2012

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Manatee Insanity posted:

Can't wait! I'm going to see them in Oakland on Friday. I have high hopes. Eluveitie also seems like they could be a great live band.

Oakland for me too. Yea I still like Eluveitie and I feel like people will do a jig or something.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Saw Wintersun last night. The crowd was way more into Wintersun than the headliners Eluveitie. Noticeably more crowded during Wintersun as well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Manatee Insanity posted:

The Oakland show was great too.

Standing outside in a line in pouring rain for almost an hour after the doors were supposed to open ... not so much. I think half the people that came to the show missed Varg's set. I dunno if it's just because it was storming, but just in case, if you see anything at the Metro, you might want to get there early.

Wintersun was great, and lived up to the hype. Eluveitie was pretty good too. They played their whole new album + a couple encores.

Yea I waited in line there for about 40 minutes. I heard the end of one Varg song from the bathroom, heard one full song, and they were done.

The sound in the Oakland Metro was pretty bad. Wintersun's mix was terrible and Jari's mic and guitar cut out a few times. I'm pretty sure he was only coming out of the left speaker all together. When the lead vocalist's mic for Eluveitie cut out, it was the same thing. Clearly the left side.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Are there pictures anywhere from Barge to Hell? I'm sure there are some gems.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm going to see Gojira next month and Devin Townsend is opening. Where do I begin with this crazy man? Listening to Epicloud right now. I hear he can be like Frank Zappa who I like a lot. Do I even bother with Strapping Young Lad? I imagine he'd only play songs from DTP.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Listening to all the DTP albums. I like very much.

Don't know why I haven't listened before. I think I listened to "Oh My loving God" too early before I liked more extreme metal and I remember seeing some really strange music video of him on some cosmic train or something and it must have turned me off.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm thinking about going to the Inferno Metal Festival in Norway in March. I can stay in my friend's hotel room in downtown Oslo since he's there for work. Cheapest flight from San Francisco is $880 right now. Anyone ever been? How does it compare to some of the other big festivals? I want to someday go to Wacken or Tuska, so maybe I should wait for one of those massive outdoor ones.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm not as into black metal as I am other genres, but the circumstances and me wanting to go to Norway might actually sway me.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

I've been to Inferno twice (2007 & 2008), and it's a pretty good festival. Remember that it's a club festival, and that the beer prices are mid/high-range by Norwegian standards. This means that at the venue you'll be paying around 70 NOK for 0,5l, which equals $12.5 or £7.8. As a result the Norwegians are usually piss-drunk long before midnight, while most of the foreigners tend to be rather sober.

To save on your pocket-money I'd recommend buying some cheap pisswater beer (Seidel, Borg, Pokal) for about 20 NOK a can, and drink it in your hotel before the shows or whenever you have some spare time between gigs. Also get some tax-free booze at the airport. Otherwise there are a few cheaper pubs in downtown Oslo, like Møllers (which is next door to the venue) and Rock In (a strictly hard rock/metal pub which is always packed for the festival), where you'll be paying maybe 40 NOK for a glass.

As a Norwegian I prefer going abroad for festivals, since I can usually make back most of the travel-cost on the comparably much cheaper accommodation, food, and drink in central Europe. Also I personally think that the Inferno lineup has been a bit rubbish in recent years, as well as being too close to Roadburn. At least the selection of bands at Inferno is nowhere near the awfulness of Wacken, and you won't have to deal with fifty thousand Germans pissing on your tent.

Thanks for the tips.

But yea how the hell is everything so expensive? Do you guys have more money than us or do you just like drinking more if you're the only drunk ones?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Nordick posted:

http://youtu.be/cLHXYLHMhKI

This is how you do a friggin' heavy metal video. Cheesy as hell, larger than life, and not even the most miniscule gently caress given. Amazing.
Song's not half bad either.

I think the Nekroblikon video still takes it. It gets better and better. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What was DTP's set like back in the US now that Atlas Moth is back on the bill? On setlist.fm I'm not sure if they were playing more songs because they were the only opener or if because they got into the swing of things after the first couple of shows in the US; probably the former.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ShrewdOrganMerchant posted:

Paganfest dates just dropped.

Ensiferum, Tyr, Helsott, Heidevolk, Trollfest

3/30 - Denver, CO @ Summit Music Hall
4/01 - Tempe, AZ @ 910 Live
4/03 - San Francisco, CA @ DNA Lounge
4/04 - Reno, NV @ The Alley
4/05 - Portland, OR @ Hawthorne Theatre
4/06 - Seattle, WA @ Studio Seven
4/07 - Vancouver, BC @ Rickshaw Theatre
4/09 - Edmonton, AB @ Starlite Room
4/10 - Regina, SK @ The Exchange
4/11 - Winnipeg, MB @ Zoo Cabaret
4/12 - Saint Paul, MN @ Station 4
4/13 - Chicago, IL @ Reggie's
4/14 - Columbus, OH @ Al Rosa Villa
4/15 - Baltimore, MD @ Soundstage
4/16 - Philadelphia, PA @ The Note
4/17 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
4/18 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
4/19 - Poughkeepsie, NY @ The Chance Theater
4/20 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium (NE Metalfest)
4/21 - New York, NY @ Gramercy Theatre

There's also a show in LA on 04/02 at a TBD venue.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What Boris albums do I listen to? I looked at the most recent one on Wikipedia and it says it's "noise pop." What the hell is that?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Who do you think might go in the TBA headliner slot at Inferno Festival Norway? They announced it all and left that out http://www.infernofestival.net/no/festival/artists.aspx

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Saw them in SF on Saturday. Ancient VVisdom didn't seem that special. Rolling Thunder is a good live band; got people moving. I don't really think doom metal is a good live genre of metal and so Pallbearer just didn't create much energy. Enslaved was great. The clean vocals sounded really nice, Grutle had some nice banter, the heavy songs got the job done. There were some annoying people in the pit and it's a crowded area in front of the stage, so that was distracting at times.

Having seen Gojira + DTP a few weeks ago though, I'd have to say that show was better.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Haha the sound engineer's face at 3:15

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Wyzt posted:

HOLY poo poo gently caress EVERYTHING ELSE READ THIS

Bolt Thrower limited USA tour dates! (With Benediction)

23.05: Maryland Deathfest, MD
25.05: Pomona, CA - The Glass House (w/ Autopsy)
26.05: Oakland, SF - Metro Operahouse (w/ Autopsy)
28.05: Portland, OR - Star Theater
29.05: Seattle, WA - Neumos
31.05: Chaos In Tejas, TX
01.06: Chicago, IL - Reggies

gently caress yes! Gonna see em twice now! MDF and Chicago!

Haha I like how Oakland is listed as being a city in San Francisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Misogynist posted:

Did anyone else pick up on the "third time's a charm" motif that was all over this episode? Marshall's jokes, Barney's flowers, Ted's breakup attempts, etc.

What is this about?

New Omnium Gatherum album is up on Spotify and Grooveshark for your listening.