Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Hey guys fill in the list with some recommendations: Amon Amarth, Atlantean Kodex, Beyond The Sixth Seal, Chimp Spanner, Dark Tranquility, Dethklok, Dimension Zero, Dissection, Duskfall, Einsferum, Hypocrisy, In Flames, Salem, Spawn of Possession.

I don't care if the band takes themselves seriously or are total joke/gimmick bands as long as the music is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Thanks for the recs. I'll check them out later today. I pretty much have already had my fill of Bolt Thrower, but the rest seem interesting. Do you guys have any recommendations specifically for bands similar to Chimp Spanner? I've always been far more interested in the instrumentation than vocals/lyrics so instrumental bands like that always appeal to me.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bruce Boxliker posted:

You should probably go track down the djent thread, it might be a couple pages back.

Thanks for the heads up.

Edit: Found it and skimmed it and it looks exactly like what I was wanting.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 19, 2011

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
For some one just getting into death metal with no real prior background I'd recommend Amon Amarth. They may not be the most innovative or whatever band but they had/have two things that helped ease me into that kind of metal. First their heavy incorporation of melody work gave my ear something to familiar to work with as I developed an appreciation for the styling of the genre. The second is far more subjective but I've found Hegg's vocals to be easily enough understandable. This made a huge difference for me when growls were new and scary and different.

A few of their exemplar songs:
Fate of Norms - The Pursuit of Vikings
With Oden On Our Side - Runes to my Memory
Versus the World - Death in Fire

Though if you were to only listen to one of those I'd pick Runes to my Memory.

edit: on an entirely unrelated note: holy poo poo is Lulu a terrible, terrible, terrible album.

Dameius fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 22, 2011

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

IRQ posted:

What is "djent" anyway?

For another death metal recommendation: In Flames, Dark Tranquility. Amon Amarth is part of the Stockholm death metal scene while In Flames and to a lesser but still significant extent Dark Tranquility represent and are the granddads of the Gothenburg scene. Put the two scenes together and you get the Swedish death metal experience. In general these bands share a lot in common with black metal and if you like one genre you'll probably like the other so if you like any of these recommendations then check out the black metal ones.

Also to condense the djent sound profile from the djent thread:

Rhythmic complexity and palm-muted riffing.[7] Eddie Kim of the Massachusetts band Deadfall has described djent as "complex poly-rhythms over solid grooves in conjunction with ethereal and ambient layer elements."[15] Another major contribution to "djent" is computerised sound. Many djent musicians, such as Misha Mansoor, started their careers in home recording using amp modelling and programmed drums.

Djent
Description: A progressive metal spinoff that uses digitally processed, palm-muted, and distorted guitar chords alongside virtuoso soloing and a general computerized sound. Makes frequent use of complex poly-rhythms and instrumental bands are not uncommon.
Regions Associated: Started in Sweden with Meshuggah
Goon Recommendations: Meshuggah, Chimp Spanner, Animals As Leaders, Vildhjarta, Tesseract, Cloudkicker, Periphery and the Djent Megathread
Videos:
Meshuggah - New Millenium Cyanide Christ
Chimp Spanner - Supererogation
Animals As Leaders - CAFO

Dameius fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 22, 2011

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Death metal needs In Flames for sure and probably Dark Tranquility as well in the recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I think it was Gr31lly that recommended them, but whoever did, thanks for the recommendation on Woods of Desolation. They've been ripping up my playlists for awhile now.