Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

Ew.

How do you make this look like it did in a previous/original version? I am not liking the icons.

Open openttd.cfg and change blitter to 8bpp-optimized

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vlishgnath posted:

Holy balls I never knew there was a Transport Tycoon Deluxe thread. This makes me so happy.

Does this version come with the new soundtrack (I don't know when openTTD started being packaged with the new music files) or the original? If anyone is in need, I have a local copy of the originals for importing purposes. I am old and set in my 1994 ways and do not recognize the new soundtrack as part of my gaming experience.

Much <3 for the existence of this thread :)

I didn't include them, however you can add the new soundtrack by hitting 'check online content' and installing OpenMSX and Scott Joplin Anthology.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

less than three posted:

Open openttd.cfg and change blitter to 8bpp-optimized

Have you figured out how to display all of the 32bp yet? I tried moving a few things around earlier but no luck :(

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I love setting up a network to make some money, only to come back 20 minutes later and find it's gone. 15 goons is too many goons even with a 10000x10000 map.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Diet Crack posted:

I love setting up a network to make some money, only to come back 20 minutes later and find it's gone. 15 goons is too many goons even with a 10000x10000 map.

What. Your network is gone because you go bankrupt or something.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I'm gonna install this on my work laptop for those quiet days. I'm not gonna be playing online with it, so does anyone have good suggestions for AI that doesn't decide to build railroads randomly over every tile on the map?

After some quick browsing of the AI forum, I was thinking of rolling with some NoCAB and SimpleAI to start with. Anything else I want to throw in there?

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

less than three posted:

What. Your network is gone because you go bankrupt or something.

Well I'm not quite sure how I went from 1mil and solid income to disappearing?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Diet Crack posted:

Well I'm not quite sure how I went from 1mil and solid income to disappearing?

I am p. sure you went bankrupt and I bought you up.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fewd posted:

After some quick browsing of the AI forum, I was thinking of rolling with some NoCAB and SimpleAI to start with. Anything else I want to throw in there?

I'm not sure. The AI is really really bad so it's always been a general write-off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ugh, its annoying you have to basically CRAM the station inside a city to get it to accept goods. You can put it at the edge for passengers just fine, so whats with goods acceptance?

I inevitably piss the local authority off trying to get a Ro-Ro station positioned so I can offload goods. I guess I should go for a Terminus, but I don't have much experience with those yet.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ugh, its annoying you have to basically CRAM the station inside a city to get it to accept goods. You can put it at the edge for passengers just fine, so whats with goods acceptance?

I inevitably piss the local authority off trying to get a Ro-Ro station positioned so I can offload goods. I guess I should go for a Terminus, but I don't have much experience with those yet.

:ssh: You can ctrl+place a bus station or something closer inside the city so the station accepts goods without being that close to the city.

edit: Also the terminus design that is in use in a bunch of the cities in the game right now is a pretty solid design and easy to copy.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Seeing this game played on a server with a single, enormous rails network going everywhere simultaneously overloaded my geek centres in my brain and made me appreciate real life complex networks all the more.

This happened years ago but I'm taking this thread as a sign I should have a peek once again!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm excited that it can be single with Infrastructure Sharing. drat, I wish I could join.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I don't know how many trains there are to build in your version, but I was working on a GRF with Dred a while back to make some extra trains that slip in with the default stuff to add some balanced variety to the stuff that comes with the base game.

Things that add a train or two in the beginning, some old tech trains that help those slow to adapt to the the rail tech. e.g. a decent electric train that comes out after the monorail train as well as 'beta' trains that are basically early versions of the new rail tech to help those who have joined the game later and can utilize the tech quicker.

There we some balance issues, mostly the power output not being done correctly. SO I'm going to whip up everything and see if I can patch it up

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Had a play around with how the passengers and their wanted destinations work on the current server. Would there be any disadvantage to running a huge ring system and shuttling trains stopping at each city to cover it all? Seems the easiest way to handle it from the play I had. OpenTTD experts wanted to explain how I'm a newb and "network Xyz" is preferable if that is true!

I have to ask, why has there been such a mania about upgrading trains this go round? I saw £200m of new choochoo's between Freight and Passengers in just 2 years go by just now?!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I believe we can all see that boats are superior, with this scenario as proof.

In 1970, having been constructing hovercraft for 2 years and had a profit only 200k-ish off from the tons-of-dosh passenger people.

That's a lot of cash in two years. Of course, I reached 'peak boat' and couldn't really input any more on the map, but that's still a lot.

Long live boats.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fazana posted:

Had a play around with how the passengers and their wanted destinations work on the current server. Would there be any disadvantage to running a huge ring system and shuttling trains stopping at each city to cover it all? Seems the easiest way to handle it from the play I had. OpenTTD experts wanted to explain how I'm a newb and "network Xyz" is preferable if that is true!

I have to ask, why has there been such a mania about upgrading trains this go round? I saw £200m of new choochoo's between Freight and Passengers in just 2 years go by just now?!

You probably saw a big jump, the 2cc trainset has some extreme jumps in train quality in the late rail / pre maglev game.

Also, I can say I'm not a fan of cargo destinations. I think my mail line caused more problems than it was worth.

Still, all worth it to help try and unfuck Tervatitty.

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

I believe we can all see that boats are superior, with this scenario as proof.

In 1970, having been constructing hovercraft for 2 years and had a profit only 200k-ish off from the tons-of-dosh passenger people.

That's a lot of cash in two years. Of course, I reached 'peak boat' and couldn't really input any more on the map, but that's still a lot.

Long live boats.

"Peak boat" is a myth!

(What is peak boat set to? And what is peak car set to? I know peak plane was set to 8.)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Peak plane is over 8 on the current server, though.

One of these days I'll rack mine back up. I like the current patch / GRF set but I want PLANES EVERYWHERE for my passengers.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Chakron posted:

"Peak boat" is a myth!

(What is peak boat set to? And what is peak car set to? I know peak plane was set to 8.)

Peak boat is when you have made all the boats you can per the map.

IE; Only so many coastal places!

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I'm waiting for someone to make an Evil Genius grf where you're shipping weapons, deadly plutonium, opium, and all sorts of other criminal stuff.

Lao Tsu
Dec 26, 2006

OH GOD SOMEBODY MILK ME

Thompsons posted:

I'm waiting for someone to make an Evil Genius grf where you're shipping weapons, deadly plutonium, opium, and all sorts of other criminal stuff.

Oil and coal are evil to the environment :smith:

Though watching the news lately, I feel like I would be pretty pissed if Daryl Hannah tried to gently caress up my oil industry.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Thompsons posted:

I am going to try and do this. We'd need to choose a set of raw materials and their finished products.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

less than three posted:

I am going to try and do this. We'd need to choose a set of raw materials and their finished products.

Hmmmm...

Diamond Mine -> Laser Factory -> Shark Aquarium
??? -> Chemical Plant -> Doomsday Rocket Factory
Iron Mine -> Doomsday Rocket Factory
Iron Mine -> Weapons Factory

I'm not very good at this. :saddowns:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Farms (Poppy) -> Factory (Opium) -> Chinatown

Mine (Uranium Ore) -> Centrifuge Building (Enriched Uranium) -> Power Plant (wtf order is wrong?) -> Factory (Nuclear Bomb) -> Kim Jong Il's Palace

Hospital (Blood) -> Centrifuge Building (Oxygenated Blood) -> Baseball Stadium

Mine (Diamonds) -> Dictator's Mansion (Child Soldiers) -> City (Accepts: Child Soldiers -> Population Decrease)

(Steel) -> Factory (AK 47) -> Mujaheddin Camp (Oil) -> ...

Maybe Kim Jong Il's Palace can just be a Dictator's Mansion

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Also the passenger service becomes human trafficking.

VVV Lumber is sent to printing presses, which produce counterfeit cash which is sent to banks.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 2, 2011

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Lumber can still be shipped from forests, but the only place that accepts it are Burning Pits, to piss off the environmentalists.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Thompsons posted:

VVV Lumber is sent to printing presses, which produce counterfeit cash which is sent to banks.

Lumber -> Paper -> Propaganda Ministry

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Thompsons posted:

Well, it always felt like human trafficking to me.

-"What, you wanted to visit your grandmother next town? Too bad, this train is express to the other side of the world. That will be $1000"

Also, for the evil genius grf:

Sand Mine -> Glass Furnace -> Monocle Workshop -> Volcano Fortress

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Town (Passengers) > Evil Lair (Get turned into Henchmen) > Bank (Get Turned into Money) > Evil Lair.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Smart Car posted:

Town (Passengers) > Evil Lair (Get turned into Henchmen) > Bank (Get Turned into Money) > Evil Lair.

Soylent Greenbacks?

I'm guessing you actually meant they rob the bank? But maybe an alternate route could be.

Town (Passengers) -> Threshing Machine (Mush) -> Food Processing Plant (Soylent Green) -> Town (As foodstuffs)

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

So I made something

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Vier posted:

So I made something

For the one where you have the Chemist, you could do Copper Mine and Zinc Mine to make Brass for the Weapons Factory.(I think should be called Small Arms Plant, to differentiate if we want to build tanks or something)

Overall I do like yours, the map also makes it easier to visualize.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 2, 2011

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Also, rename soldiers to henchmen maybe?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Rexides posted:

Also, rename soldiers to henchmen maybe?

Mercenaries sounds cooler than henchmen :colbert:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Thompsons posted:

Mercenaries sounds cooler than henchmen :colbert:

Army Base: Counterfeit Money + Small Arms = Mercenaries, since they're bought, not trained.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008
less than three, how much work would be involved in this?

Thompsons posted:

This sounds pretty sinister and I'd quite enjoy a black market version.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Impromptu Flip posted:

less than three, how much work would be involved in this?

This sounds pretty sinister and I'd quite enjoy a black market version.

I'm just learning the newGRF specification now. However I have the source to the current cargo modification GRF we play with so that's been super useful to see what needs to be done.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I made (stole) a simple tracks newgrf that has low speed rail, high speed rail, electric rail (highest speed) and metro tracks. It also keeps monorail enabled (instead of replacing it like the metrotracks set the server uses). What I need is for you people to test it and tell me what you like about it and maybe the server could use it (since lessthanthree likes monorail trains but everyone likes metrorail, so both would be twice as good).

edit: also rail/electric trains can run on metrorail too (but not the other way around).

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Sep 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

piratepilates posted:

I made (stole) a simple tracks newgrf that has low speed rail, high speed rail, electric rail (highest speed) and metro tracks. It also keeps monorail enabled (instead of replacing it like the metrotracks set the server uses). What I need is for you people to test it and tell me what you like about it and maybe the server could use it (since lessthanthree likes monorail trains but everyone likes metrorail, so both would be twice as good).

edit: also rail/electric trains can run on metrorail too (but not the other way around).

I like metro as well. I just get irritated that monorail is eliminated in order to bring in metro.

Anyways I will test the GRF.

edit: suggestion. normal/metro should be able to run on metro but electric catenary shouldn't.

less than three fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 3, 2011

• Locked thread