Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I'm not a graphics person and I know pretty much nothing about NewGRFs, but I can program C/C++ if you need someone for the code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Baby steps first, I think some hex editing and graphics messing around is a good basis for adding trains,cargo,industries etc.

Impromptu Flip
Aug 30, 2008

Fishbus posted:

Baby steps first, I think some hex editing and graphics messing around is a good basis for adding trains,cargo,industries etc.

That can all be done with NML instead of hex editing, it's pretty straightforward if anyone wants to dive in: http://www.tt-wiki.net/wiki/NMLTutorial

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Which GRF sets let me change waypoints? I remember I had on another computer a GRF (or a bunch) that let me cycle through 'em. Now I only have one and it's boring. I don't do much route planning with waypoints, but I do use 'em to make my railroads look all purty.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Pro-tip for the new industry set: Don't base your entire company around shipping milk :negative:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Can I redirect goods from a truck depot to a train station? When the one truck depot near a factory ended up with 700+ crates of goods, I built a train station that was intended to carry the goods en masse to another city. Unfortunately, the truck depot continued to receive the bulk of the factory's output so I couldn't make a dent in the number of crates.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 7, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Destroy the train station, and when you rebuild it, ctrl-click it and attach it to the truck station.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

IOwnCalculus posted:

Destroy the train station, and when you rebuild it, ctrl-click it and attach it to the truck station.

CTRL-click makes me happy, seeing an airport, terminal, bus/truck station and a dock all working together :allears:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm just trying out CargoDist and after making a local setup - with 5 towns feeding into a central hub - I've decided to try something a bit bigger in scale (mainly to make more money).
It's still too early in my game to have the gigantic airports (and I've increased the length of days, so this could take forever) but I'm hoping to have as many towns and cities as possible feeding into one mega-hub from which I can distribute by plane, train and boat to wherever the numbers want to go.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Karthe posted:

Can I redirect goods from a truck depot to a train station? When the one truck depot near a factory ended up with 700+ crates of goods, I built a train station that was intended to carry the goods en masse to another city. Unfortunately, the truck depot continued to receive the bulk of the factory's output so I couldn't make a dent in the number of crates.

I had this exact same problem a couple of maps ago when I accidentally once used the wrong station to pick up something and that was it, drat thing never stopped making more. I was at max station spread already from having two separate sets of platforms for pickup and dropoff and destroying the station and rebuilding didn't fix it. I ended up making a small road with a truck stop at each end and just using transfer orders on a couple of trucks to mindlessly chug the cargo 5 blocks to the new station I had built to move those goods elsewhere.

Really enjoyed the settings on this map, the variety of industries and chains made it interesting to match stuff up. I had a mainline that ended up serving a 4 step chain that bounced from one end to the other with each step for maximum coinage. Thanks to Dreds info ingame I'll know next time to spread around the engineering supplies to the mines and watch the output double if not triple!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Look sir, sprites!
I've wanted to make some graphics for OpenTTD for a while now but didn't get around to it until now. So hard to draw something so tiny... This is zoomed in to double the real size.

It's my first try at pixel art and I hope it will be used in the Central European Train Set which sounds like it'll be pretty amazing. It's based on this coach.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 7, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fazana posted:

and destroying the station and rebuilding didn't fix it.

If you destroy the stations, you have to wait until their grey 'ghost' name dissapears before rebuilding.

This is so that you can bulldoze/rebuild airports without loving up orders.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Elukka posted:

Look sir, sprites!
I've wanted to make some graphics for OpenTTD for a while now but didn't get around to it until now. So hard to draw something so tiny... This is zoomed in to double the real size.

It's my first try at pixel art and I hope it will be used in the Central European Train Set which sounds like it'll be pretty amazing. It's based on this coach.
Maybe I'm missing something, but OpenTTD vehicles only have 4 directions.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SupSuper posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but OpenTTD vehicles only have 4 directions.

At least 8. N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW

Forgot abour diagonal track?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

less than three posted:

At least 8. N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW

Forgot abour diagonal track?
Actually I forgot that vehicles aren't always symmetrical. In any case his sprites look more like something out of Locomotion.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Usually they do have only 8 directions but the CETS set devs coded some sort of patch magic that enables them to have full length passenger coaches and locomotives, the longer coaches being almost double the length of mine. They made some additional magic by adding more sprite directions so that trains turn a bit smoother in corners. I haven't the faintest idea how it works, really, I'm just following templates!

Elukka fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 8, 2011

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
So I emptied the suggestion box:

Improved industry pricing
What?

Max train length same as station spread
Okay.

What?

NO TREES
The maps never start with trees. Quit planting them, jerk.

More boat types
GRFs don't grow on trees! If you have a specific GRF request, name it.

Whoever green was this game, all those suggestions aside from the train length were pretty :downs:.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

less than three posted:

NO TREES

To be fair to both sides, when I was looking up info on tree's for when I was thinking about starting a single player game, I don't believe atm you can turn off tree growth. As you said you can start with none at all on the map but it appears to be hardcoded for tree's to gradually grow in as the years go by.

I could have misread it but I believe that's where they are coming from and lets face it, the average OpenTTD hooligan seems to only understand the land raising and lowering buttons, planting trees for long term griefing is way off their radar. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

less than three posted:

So I emptied the suggestion box:

What?

NO TREES

I believe Industry pricing refers to the cost of funding the industry.

Because some of those shits costed 260 million and drat.

And I will never stop planting trees. :colbert:

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
you aren't supposed to build coal mines :negative:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

less than three posted:

More boat types
GRFs don't grow on trees! If you have a specific GRF request, name it.
I wasn't green and haven't played on the goon server but the best, only ship set aside from the ancient NewShips is FISH.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 8, 2011

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Dred_furst posted:

you aren't supposed to build coal mines :negative:

The idea of prospecting isn't so bad though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kingturnip posted:

...I'm hoping to have as many towns and cities as possible feeding into one mega-hub from which I can distribute by plane, train and boat to wherever the numbers want to go.

So far so good. I've got 5 big towns, all from 1-2 screens away feeding in so far, and aside from watching those platforms get more crowded by the day, I'm making lots of money.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If you could build stations underground, this game would own.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

At that point you would realistically need an interface that would let you build non-linear tunnels.

And yes, it would own SO HARD.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Uncle Jam posted:

That would require a complete overhaul to let you build stuff in 3D. Which would be pretty loving awesome and I would probably never stop playing, but it's not likely to happen.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

That was one of the only good features in Chris Sawyer's Locomotion, but it just made building everything underground the most efficient route since there was no vertical catchment area limit.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

The only way it would work, if underground building was super expensive.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You can build underground stations in Simutrans. They are crazy expensive though, and that game is way too stingy with profit margins on the default settings.

RUM hack
Nov 18, 2003

glug glug

SwimNurd posted:

We just can't build an easily distributable version of it. If you come to IRC I can help you get it built.

Yeah, I've actually got it to compile and can play it. I was trying to be clever and make a distributable too. Cheers though.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Dear OpenTTD thread, what the hell is this crap?

Both trains have been converted to Engineering Supplies, and both just sit there, ignoring all the loving Engineering Supplier they're supposed to load. :mad:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

From Earth posted:

Both trains have been converted to Engineering Supplies, and both just sit there, ignoring all the loving Engineering Supplier they're supposed to load. :mad:

Maybe Jacob North doesn't want engineering supplies :v:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

From Earth posted:

At risk of you shouting in return, are you 100% sure you refitted them to engineering supplies? Those wagons look more like the coal/ore type wagons and on the map before this one my engineering supply wagons were the flatbed type. Just double checking...

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Apocadall posted:

Maybe Jacob North doesn't want engineering supplies :v:

This is actually a (annoying) thing. Click the source-via-destinations thing and toggle it to show where it wants to go or whatever.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is actually a (annoying) thing. Click the source-via-destinations thing and toggle it to show where it wants to go or whatever.

Select 'via destination source'

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

less than three posted:

Select 'via destination source'

This is best, you usually don't give a gently caress where cargo came from or where it'll end up (since the game figures that out for you) but only where it should go next, since that's how almost all vehicle orders are set up in the game.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cargodest can be annoying as hell since it seems really hard to get cargo to change where it wants to go if you need to overhaul your network for some reason.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

SwimNurd posted:

The only way it would work, if underground building was super expensive.

Yeah, I get that, and I know it won't happen, but I saw kingturnip's screenshot and there's just a mega huge station in the middle of nowhere, where in reality mega huge stations are in the middle of cities underground (at least the ones I've been in) and the smaller stations leading in are above ground.

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
So I logged in today and noticed I have no trains. Where did they all go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Demonlord posted:

So I logged in today and noticed I have no trains. Where did they all go?

Which company? I haven't noticed anyone bankrupt.

• Locked thread