Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

I don't know how many trains there are to build in your version, but I was working on a GRF with Dred a while back to make some extra trains that slip in with the default stuff to add some balanced variety to the stuff that comes with the base game.

Things that add a train or two in the beginning, some old tech trains that help those slow to adapt to the the rail tech. e.g. a decent electric train that comes out after the monorail train as well as 'beta' trains that are basically early versions of the new rail tech to help those who have joined the game later and can utilize the tech quicker.

There we some balance issues, mostly the power output not being done correctly. SO I'm going to whip up everything and see if I can patch it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Any of you guys playing vanilla? I don't really like over encumbering the game with stuff aside from a few simple grfs (stolen trees, city buildings etc)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

lessthanthree did that to me, it's the downside of running anything road-based - even if you build the road, anyone else can drop rail tiles on it and take ownership of it. Really kind of ridiculous.

Also, someone needs to put this train into a newGRF, and figure out how to make any crashes involving it destroy eight tiles of surrounding vehicles / rails / buildings / whatever.

I'm looking at my old GRF stuff and I could add that in sometime soon...

The default+ pack is actually in the online repository at the moment and adds a few trains in the overlapping eras, which is always nice for those of us lazy rail upgraders :)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Baby steps first, I think some hex editing and graphics messing around is a good basis for adding trains,cargo,industries etc.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Dred_furst posted:

you aren't supposed to build coal mines :negative:

The idea of prospecting isn't so bad though.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

They should just rebuild this game form the ground up on in an isometric 3d platform. Seriously it can't be harder than working with this ridiculously impenetrable and inflexible base. I'm looking at unity and narrowing my eyes while shifting them back and forwards to OpenTTD

I'd pay at least $10 for a remake, a simple, intuitive version that could even be sans planes/trucks/ships.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I'm saying that you grab Unity, UnrealEd or whatever and build a spiritual successor from the ground up. Make alphas for free, drum up interest and more talent. I'm talking rediculously low poly models will even do and heck it'd probably give it lots of charm if they keep in it that colourful original 16BPP style. Then start donations and beta etc. Seems like an easy investment.

A more elegant UI as well as some other modern gameplay things like RPG (levelling up/proficiency etc) elements would improve accessibility and grow the fanbase. It'd probably do quite well for a small team of proficient developers

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

That 3d one up there is a nice effort, but it still looks kinda janky and unappealing. I'm all for supporting the community so building things in such a way that it would be easy to add new things would be paramount to getting that thriving community support.

Dont want to play devils advocate here but changing the ggame a little to provide new interest isn't always a bad thing. TFC -> TF2 brought in old players who basically nay-sayed from day one until they tried it and found it better than their old habits. Sometimes the rose glasses affects us a little too much from stepping into new territory.

I love TTD, but most f the time I'm playing it all I can think is "this could be better, it could be amazing".

Sure it'd be a bit hard to get everything up and running, but I'm pretty sure in a new engine we wouldn't have to spend literally stupid amount of times to code in support just to be able to say "Can now build a track on top of a tunnel tile". New trains would literally consist of a model and a text metadata file pointing at a few media files and full of stats.

I'm just thinking that the open project time is ultimately a big fat inefficient waste of time no matter if they manage to bring in new features ever few months.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Yeah, Agreed for the most part.

However the TF2 comparison wasn't because of the genre, it was more about how people are unwilling to leave their horribly unbalanced game because they can't see it right in front of them (I did this too for some extent). Not to say TTD is imbalanced, but the idea is that people shouldn't be so reluctant to not try out a new version of something they've dug into. THis is how growing a new fanbase helps; the new fanbase is instilled, they tell the oldschoolers that it isn't actually bad, it's pretty fun in new ways and since they are usually friends they coax them into the new game.

The problem with the simcity and cities XL comparison is that there's a LOT of work that was done in cities XL graphics wise, code wise so there wasn't much time it seems to get greather depth into it. I can see all these fancy spline drawing tools and then you've got to make algorithmns to sort out junctions and just lots and lots of things that could be simplified.

I've got an idea in the back of my head, it seems like I was able to get some folk interested in it as well. I bring it up as it may be something I do in the future.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Unity. However my hands are full for the time being. As I said, it's something to look at for the future.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

They'll just do that due to how they're hard coded to do check up and maintenance if they pass by a depot(like driving right by their entrance like you have). You can usually fix it by making the depot a few track pieces away from the actual route.

Give it a try and report back.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Something something is this new or just a small team porting it over to mobile devices only? Seems like the usual trend of wringing money out of old games by porting to ipads, no optimization needed!

http://www.transporttycoon.com/

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

FISHMANPET posted:

I think Chris Saywer has always been a little bit butthurt about OpenTTD, so this is totally seperate. Looks like he's decided to jump on the mobile gaming bandwagon, so this is going to be a straight port of the original game. Or maybe something dumbed down because I wouldn't want to play any version of Transport Tycoon on a tablet.

And for Android people there's this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.openttd.sdl&hl=en Never tried it myself, but it exists.

Yeah i just did a quick dig and saw that uh, his finances are starting to go down into "I should make some money" territory

Honestly, TTD is a fantastic game and i love it to bits, and it would be great to have a modern revamp, but this sounds like a 1:1 port with -hopefully - some mobile UI tweaks

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

SupSuper posted:

Locomotion had some cool new ideas, but also a lot of bad ideas. :( I wish someone would build up on that, the RCT building engine has some great potential.

Care to name a few good/bad examples? I am just looking at some screenshots and it looks very similar to TTD so it's differences are probably very nuanced :)

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's easy to think that way as an outsider, but I imagine it's kind of a different story when it's your livelihood. He isn't making any money off TTD anymore anyway since it's so old, but the fact that Locomotion had competition from what was essentially his own game I'd think would be kind of a sore spot.

There's also the artistic viewpoint where you feel you've moved on to other things but everyone is still obsessing over your old stuff. That's annoying for a lot of creative people.

I guess he just didn't make it different enough, if it had been more built upon and didn't have the really awkward roller-coaster build mechanics then people would have made that the de-facto game. but the fact as something as simple as clicking and dragging rails in openTTD got implemented it was way more accessible to people!

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

I usually create an un-interrupted loop, create one signal in the direction i want then ctrl+hold on the signal and drag and it will autocomplete the whole line to the next intersection. Then I'll start connecting up the stations/branches/trunks after

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Play this game a bit once every 2-3 years or so, and am again getting the itch to play!

Im a fairly progression driven gamer, and have been looking for a trainset that adds train progression beyond the trains in the vanilla game, but cant really seem to find any interesting trainsets.

My dream grf/trainset would be a maglev set with a steady progression of trains from 1950 to 2050 or so (i dont care that much about realism regarding maglev not existing in the 1950s)
At minimum i would like to see some trains that adds progress past the top maglev from vanilla game (chimera?)
By progress i suppose i mean a train with the same or faster top speed/acceleration/corner turning, so that i dont have to redesign the rail network but "the numbers increase".

I have been digging around on tt-forums but not really come up with much.

Theres a NUTS set, while interesting it doesnt seem it adds any trains that are upgrades, but rather complicates things by having you do math on which class of train is best for your rail design. It also seems to want to make all rail types useful, for different types of tasks. I could be misunderstanding here.
I am mainly after trains that are objectively better.

The monorail replacement set seems abandoned and buggy.

Most of the other sets seem mainly about adding real life train sets but not adding anything futuristic or unrealistic.

Am i overlooking some cool grp here or am i out of luck? Is NUTS my best bet?

I did a GRF with dred furst called the DP+ pack which is just additional trains for the base game, it also includes a few new maglevs. No random stupid bullshit, just some extra trains. It should be in the grf download menu. Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks bud!

I cant find it though :(

Googling turns up references to it, but no download link, and it is not in the grp repository ingame, nor in grfcrawler.

I found the grf "ID#" for it, but not really sure where to search for those?

Gah, it's been a while, but Dred had it all listed and hosted online. There was the document holding the new trains and how they mesh with the old ones here

I'll see if I can bug Dred again to grab it off him so maybe we can rehost it somewhere more permanent.

• Locked thread