Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Have you ever gotten a hardon from logistical planning? Do you enjoy moving things from one point to another? Do steam trains stir intense feelings within you?

Play OpenTTD!

Does the sight of lines on a chart make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Server Info
LLJK serverthree
IP: l3.lessthanthree.dk
Password: lljk
Version: 1.4.0

Download
Windows x64
Windows x32

GRF Pack

#trains on irc.synirc.net

Hidden Features

MAKE YOUR TRAINS HAPPY (The only instructional material you're gonna get)

See you in game.

less than three fucked around with this message at Nov 18, 2014 around 06:39

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lord Windy posted:

I'm super interested in starting this up, but being a I'm afraid the OP doesn't elaborate enough on one particular confusing point.

Is this a single player game, if so what is the server info for?

There's a multiplayer game running constantly so you can come be bad at trains and get help from people.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SwimNurd posted:

Is there a mac port of this version?

You'd have to compile it yourself.

http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Mac

The patch differential can be downloaded here.

also, holy gently caress the programmable signals are the most thing ever.

less than three fucked around with this message at Aug 30, 2011 around 13:25

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Still don't quite understand these programmable signals.

Though I did build a line that alternate back and forth between green and red. (Top right)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vier posted:

New thread! whats the chances of getting 32bp working?

It's already been done and included in the archive.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

Ew.

How do you make this look like it did in a previous/original version? I am not liking the icons.

Open openttd.cfg and change blitter to 8bpp-optimized

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vlishgnath posted:

Holy balls I never knew there was a Transport Tycoon Deluxe thread. This makes me so happy.

Does this version come with the new soundtrack (I don't know when openTTD started being packaged with the new music files) or the original? If anyone is in need, I have a local copy of the originals for importing purposes. I am old and set in my 1994 ways and do not recognize the new soundtrack as part of my gaming experience.

Much <3 for the existence of this thread

I didn't include them, however you can add the new soundtrack by hitting 'check online content' and installing OpenMSX and Scott Joplin Anthology.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Diet Crack posted:

I love setting up a network to make some money, only to come back 20 minutes later and find it's gone. 15 goons is too many goons even with a 10000x10000 map.

What. Your network is gone because you go bankrupt or something.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fewd posted:

After some quick browsing of the AI forum, I was thinking of rolling with some NoCAB and SimpleAI to start with. Anything else I want to throw in there?

I'm not sure. The AI is really really bad so it's always been a general write-off.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Thompsons posted:

I'm waiting for someone to make an Evil Genius grf where you're shipping weapons, deadly plutonium, opium, and all sorts of other criminal stuff.

I am going to try and do this. We'd need to choose a set of raw materials and their finished products.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Impromptu Flip posted:

less than three, how much work would be involved in this?

This sounds pretty sinister and I'd quite enjoy a black market version.

I'm just learning the newGRF specification now. However I have the source to the current cargo modification GRF we play with so that's been super useful to see what needs to be done.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

piratepilates posted:

I made (stole) a simple tracks newgrf that has low speed rail, high speed rail, electric rail (highest speed) and metro tracks. It also keeps monorail enabled (instead of replacing it like the metrotracks set the server uses). What I need is for you people to test it and tell me what you like about it and maybe the server could use it (since lessthanthree likes monorail trains but everyone likes metrorail, so both would be twice as good).

edit: also rail/electric trains can run on metrorail too (but not the other way around).

I like metro as well. I just get irritated that monorail is eliminated in order to bring in metro.

Anyways I will test the GRF.

edit: suggestion. normal/metro should be able to run on metro but electric catenary shouldn't.

less than three fucked around with this message at Sep 3, 2011 around 07:44

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fazana posted:

The server cannae take no more cap'n!

It's in the 97th year and it appears communism is on the wane at last, yay!

p.s. No maglev freight = FML. I wasn't standing for that coal going untouched so I fashioned a cunning delivery device. Refitted 747s are awesome coal carriers!*

*Not really, was costing me twice what I made back.

Server's been reset.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yeah. I mentioned the bridge/tunnel signal bug in chat one game, but never posted.

Make sure there's a signal on the tile before and after the bridge/tunnel to prevent that issue.

Almost sunk Metrosexuals last game.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fazana posted:

As for just now, sorry lessthanthree, seems my ISP or whatever hates yours this morning. Keeps booting me off then showing the server as offline for a while afterwards. Will try again in a bit!

No apologies required actually. On seeing this post I went and checked the server, something crashed the entire OpenTTD server process. I'm not entirely sure what.

Game's back up now though.

ps: Passwords are cleared when I restore the server, so if you want to steal money from a rival, do it now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

auzdark posted:

Also, with the passwords turned off, I picked myself up a nice rich company to run with! thanks Vier!

Whatever. He deserves it for abusing my generous, idealistic station spread setting of 24.

Designed to let us build fancy pretty looking train stations, he uses it to suck coal out of industries by creating a chain of 1x2 lorry stations transporting the cargo to his endpoint without actually having to build any sort of train/road network.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vier posted:

Turn off shared tracks

I had no idea what the gently caress because you have the buildings transparent. I logged in though and admittedly laughed.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fazana posted:

To reinforce their disgraceful behaviour as soon as they took the lead they employed the WML otherwise known as hovercraft to ensure their reign of terror wouldn't be toppled

(Weapons of Mass Lag)

From Earth posted:

The server seems pretty unstable at the moment, every time it saves there's a chance of getting booted.

Coincidentally, things were fine until somebody started loving around with hovercrafts.
It appears using YAPF for boats was a spectacular failure (as I predicted.) Whoever told me it'd be more efficient gently caress you, I win.

Fazana posted:

Things
1. lol yes this was funny. Someone passworded my company.

2. I don't know how to fix the trains/bridge thing.

3. I <3 copy/paste. I made one good 3 way junction earlier when bored now I don't have to ever do it again. Plus it looks cool when it's pasting.

4. Expensive track could work. ECS can be frustrating when you've spent a lot of time implementing a network, only for it to break because an industry stops accepting cargo.

5. I pay for hosting the server.

6. I don't know if this can be done/I don't have that much knowledge with newGRFs.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

From Earth posted:

Are the signals smaller than they used to be? With regular signals, the actual light part of the signals if like half a pixel, they're very hard to see.

Yes, they are. You can fix this by going into the data/sprites directory and deleting the set of sprites for the signals. (The number is like 1415 or something)

ATTENTION: DOING THIS WILL GET YOUR COMPANY RESET.

Not many people do this cheap rear end abuse of station spread. It's hinted at someone who's name starts with V.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

auzdark posted:

Someone being a jerk before a reset, this time in reverse...

creative at least.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

less than three posted:

ATTENTION: DOING THIS WILL GET YOUR COMPANY RESET.

Not many people do this cheap rear end abuse of station spread. It's hinted at someone who's name starts with V.

Vier was deleted on the current game for doing this poo poo after I explicitly said not to.

less than three fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2011 around 07:32

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

3. What do I do with goods delivered to/"produced at" a goods depot (I say "produced at" because it looks like lumber from the saw mill makes it to the depot and then becomes "goods")? I've figured out how, for example, get cargo from the forest to the sawmill to the cargo depot, but once there I have no idea what to do with it - when I click on the depot to see its status, I just see "goods" accumulating with nowhere for them to go.

If you're ever wondering where a cargo comes from/goes to, click the 'Display Chain' button when you're viewing the industry.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dred_furst posted:

I think I broke the server with a programmable signal

It's back up now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys, I'm sure I'll have to practice some before it all starts to make sense.

I found the "Display Chain" button pretty early on, but I can't figure out how you deliver to "Houses" - is it enough that a depot is within the city borders that the goods will make it to "Houses" automatically?

Is there something I'm missing in getting the 32bpp pack enabled in the download packs in the OP? I enabled it in the NewGRF Settings menu, but no matter what I try I'm stuck with the regular graphics and zoom levels. It looks like GRF's won't load into existing games, so I created a new map and made sure the GRF's loaded, so I'm not sure what's going on.

Houses means towns. You know you're close enough when it says "Accepts: Goods" when you're placing the station.

The 32bpp extra zoom was basically abandoned a while ago, so you won't get that feature unless you go back to an older version.

Also the conversion to 32bpp is nowhere near complete. (Or even 50%) so at most you'll get new signals and roads, factory and power plant.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Karthe posted:

I think I see what's going on - the truck station is probably generating mail that I could send over via truck/train to another station that accepts mail. That seems kinda silly, but then again I probably shouldn't over think a game like this.

And that's a bummer about the 32bpp pack being abandoned. Are there any up-to-date, goon-recommended mods for making the game easier on the eyes in larger resolutions?

OpenGFX+ Big GUI GRF.

Also in openttd.cfg, go to the [Misc] section and replace these lines with what I've pasted here.

small_font =
medium_font = Calibri
large_font = Calibri
small_size = 10
medium_size = 20
large_size = 20
small_aa = true
medium_aa = true
large_aa = true

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fazana posted:

and destroying the station and rebuilding didn't fix it.

If you destroy the stations, you have to wait until their grey 'ghost' name dissapears before rebuilding.

This is so that you can bulldoze/rebuild airports without loving up orders.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SupSuper posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but OpenTTD vehicles only have 4 directions.

At least 8. N/NE/E/SE/S/SW/W/NW

Forgot abour diagonal track?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

So I emptied the suggestion box:

Improved industry pricing
What?

Max train length same as station spread
Okay.

Improved industry pricing
What?

NO TREES
The maps never start with trees. Quit planting them, jerk.

More boat types
GRFs don't grow on trees! If you have a specific GRF request, name it.

Whoever green was this game, all those suggestions aside from the train length were pretty .

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gamerofthegame posted:

This is actually a (annoying) thing. Click the source-via-destinations thing and toggle it to show where it wants to go or whatever.

Select 'via destination source'

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Demonlord posted:

So I logged in today and noticed I have no trains. Where did they all go?

Which company? I haven't noticed anyone bankrupt.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vier posted:

Server crashed hours ago where are you 3?

I'll reset it when I get home. (Like 3 hours.)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oh welp. I can turn the server back on. I've been paying for it this whole time, but it's been too much to SSH in and turn on OpenTTD.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Iunnrais posted:

Did the IP address change? You say you started it, and yet it still says offline for me...

I said I can start it.

(It's up now.)

less than three fucked around with this message at Nov 29, 2011 around 05:03

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Chainclaw posted:

So far it seems to me that boats are the way to go? Trains are so fiddly, and I seem to make money at about the same rate with boats, but there is less need for all the weird train stuff.

Also, do airplanes ever not crash? Even looking at the wiki seems to imply they are only really good for crashing.

1. Building spergy train networks is the best part of the game.

2. Airplanes aren't normally really crashy, but the version we use (and posted in the OP) has a bug where planes crash like 75% of the time unless crashes are disabled.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dotcom656 posted:

So this CargoDist thing sounds pretty interesting but I was wondering where to download it and how it works. is it just like any other newGRF? or is it a totally separate mod for the game or something?

Does it work for multiplayer as well?

There's a link in the OP to download it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dred_furst posted:

LessThanThree, is the server down or something?

Yes. I brought it up for a few days and nobody was playing on it. I can turn it back on in a few hours.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Apocadall posted:

If it's on, does it have a different IP address then the one in the OP?

I've turned it on now.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PalmTreeFun posted:

Does the SA multiplayer server turn crashes off? That sounds like a pretty lovely bug.

Yeah, it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

There's a limit on each vehicle type per company.

Also server has been restarted.

• Locked thread
«5 »