Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Willie Trombone posted:

No, I actually deleted all boats, planes, and road vehicles to try to make more trains (I myself never make anything other than trains and road vehicles going into cities because I find boats to actually be even worse than building up land for trains and I can never figure out how to get airports to work efficiently). Every train in my company had exactly 8 cars, and I guess the game counts each train car as its own vehicle, so I failed to pick up on 248 being a company-specific limit because in reality it's the rounder 250 train car limit preventing a new eight-car train being created after 31 trains had already been created. 31 trains seems like a low ceiling to me, but at least I know what I'm working with now haha.

No, a train is a train, not a train car.

If the limit is say 256, you can have that many complete trains. Deleting other vehicle types won't help you get over that limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

So with the GRFs in the OP, electric tracks cost 10 times as much as regular tracks. Should I be using steam/diesel trains for cargo, then electrify the stations and build seperate faster electric rails for passenger service? Once I've electrified a line is there any reason not to run cargo over electric rails?

It seems like electrics should be faster but not nearly as powerful as some big fat diesel/steam trains, but as it is right now the electric trains are the fastest and the most powerful, and once you've electrified the rails the trains cost about the same to maintain if they're electric or steam/diesel.

ERail is only 10x when using the NARS/UKRS train sets.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sorry, I meant 2cc not NARS/UKRS.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dotcom656 posted:

Woah, where do we get these Vactrains? Are they in the version in the OP? What year do they start popping up?

Yeah they're in the OP. (It'll be in the GRFs if you've played on the multiplayer server at least once.)

The first one is introduced around 2030.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Messed around on the server tonight, but copy pasting a fairly small junction results in me getting kicked for too many actions. Any way to fix that, either on client side or server side?

Go into your client advanced settings. Somewhere in there is 'multiplayer paste speed' or something. Change it from the default to 10 and you'll be fine.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Reb posted:

Server is down again :( Maybe revert back to the old GRF settings.

It's back up now. Yeah going to go back to normal industries next game.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Willie Trombone posted:

Also, the couple times I've checked in the past two days, the server's been down

The suggestion of using ECS Vectors industries was a disaster, causing the server to crash every [10 minutes-4 hours]

We're back on the TGC cargo set and I assume everything's fine.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I can bring up the server again if people want it. After it sitting for like months 0/14 in 1940 I don't bother to start it when I restart the server.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Tomorrow I'll look into Chilli's patchpack with 1.2.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We could stay on 1.1 with all the luxuries we've come to know in Chilli's patchpack, or we can go to vanilla 1.2.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I also say 1.2, for the purely selfish reason that I'm on OSX and the patch pack isn't mac happy (and I want to play trains with goons)

There is actually a mac build for the patch now but whatever. I am also interested in 1.2.

I'll set up a server now. Check ord.nekonex.com / lljk in a bit.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah. Server is now up.

If you don't have the TTGC grf, you can get it here.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

StabMasterArson posted:

I've downloaded the r22553M stuff and all the GRFs from the server but I'm still getting a version mismatch, there was info in the OP but it seems to have gone now. Is there a newer file?

We're using 1.2 now. Get it on openttd.org.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

Planes are still really cheap... Is there a "realistic flight cost" grf?

We're using costs mod, but airplanes are set to default at the moment. Normally I make them expensive.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I would be up for going back to the newest version of Chilli's Patchpack.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We're now using patch pack version hfe846ddd.

Get it here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/chillpp/releases/hfe846ddd/

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

We're back to 1.1? :(

The few minor improvements in 1.2 wasn't worth losing everything else we had. It's a newer version of the patch pack from before.

Might I ask what feature from 1.2 do you miss?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

JerikTelorian posted:

Can someone post an explanation of Industrial Stations? It gives me like five new categories. I know some of them are animated, but I don't know which. Do all the tiles work as a station? Are some only for show?

All of them work as stations, the only thing different is how they look. For example I use the water pumping stations at my mines because I think it looks cool. :colbert:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

Any idea how to get this to actually work? It sounds really cool, but it needs a grf files that aren't included in 12.0.

Town Growth Challenge was never completed. We just use the GRF to add new cargo types. The GRF is linked in the OP and has been required for our multi player server forever.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

JerikTelorian posted:

If Town Growth doesn't work, why don't we just add FIRS?

Because FIRS has limits to how much cargo can be processed and other things that are lovely if you want to leave the multiplayer game running constantly.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

Also, judging by the current game, the Town Growth Challenge is too much of a challenge.

Which part is too much of a challenge. We've been using the GRF the entire time I've been hosting the server, and it was used on the 0.6 servers before that.

Do you mean a setting like towns requiring cargo to grow?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Wedesdo posted:

Yea, that. Although not having sprawling 50000 pop towns is kinda nice. Up to you, as always...

I like the large towns too, personally. Tried out this mode as a suggestion from someone.

As for the desert map, I know we can keep the locomotives. I'll look into cargo today.

edit: If we want to use the expanded cargo, desert cities would require paper and metals to grow. Water and food with the base cargo set. Either way with desert they'll need something to grow.

less than three fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 10, 2012

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

JerikTelorian posted:

Wait in the desert they need paper and metal, but in the temperate, lush climate they need... water and food? :raise:

Is the desert like, a Mad Max world or something?

Both of those were for desert.

The reason it happens is because each cargo type has an ID number, for simplicity we'll say 1-16.

Desert towns need food and water to grow.

In the vanilla game, we'll say the IDs for food and water are 4 and 6.

The game is coded that "desert towns need cargo ID 4 and 6 to grow." not "desert towns need food and water to grow."

The TGC cargo set uses different IDs for things, even though it still has food and water. It just so happens that in TGC ID 4 is metal and ID 6 is paper.

So when the game runs in desert, it ends up being "desert towns need metal and paper to grow."

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
To whoever I just kicked from the server:

I did it because it's midnight and there were surprisingly someone (though just you) online. I was spectating to see if you were alive or not, but no response and from watching your company you hadn't moved the screen or anything in 15 minutes, staring at unfinished track.

Idling in the server means time goes by and then when people wake up it's like the year 2000 and nobody's had the chance to do anything.

tl;dr PSA: I understand we all have needs to idle and do nothing to rack up some expansion cash (especially at the start of the game.) but please do it reasonably. It's annoying to lose 1/4 of the game or more with nobody playing but someone left their game running during the night.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I use the Power/Running cost method to see what has the lowest operating cost for the amount of power I need.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I use 2000hp to power a 7 tile train with coal (if we're running a 2x cargo multiplier.)

I think we're using 4x at the moment, so I'd use two. I'm a happy user of the Swiss gas turbine engine that has ~2000hp.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bluecobra posted:

How do you guys get the output of these coal mines so high?

Just keep it well serviced. Industries with good service have a chance to go up or down in production every few months, but the scale is slanted towards increases.

With random luck you can get an industry that just keeps going up and up.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Ineptitude posted:

The amount a primary industry (first in the chain of supply) produces is based on how much of it you transport, if you keep picking up a high % of its production it will keep producing more and more (up to a maximum)
Its not luck based.

That's only with ECS Vectors, not the normal industry system.

OpenTTD Game Mechanics posted:

The chance for a production change each month is 4.5%, i.e. 4.5% of producing industries from industry list change production.

If a production change does occur:
For an industry that has poor or no service (less than 60% of its cargo is transported): 33% chance of increase, 67% chance of decrease
For an industry that has good (greater than 60%) service: 67% chance of increase, 33% chance of decrease
For an industry that has excellent (greater than 80%) service: 83% chance of increase, 17% chance of decrease

These two are multiplied together, i.e. 4.5% * 33% = 1.5%:
Poor service: 1.5% to increase and 3.0% to decrease
Good service: 3.0% to increase and 1.5% to decrease
Excellent service: 3.75% to increase and 0.75% to decrease

If a coal mine has 70% of its output transported, there is a 3% chance (4.5% * 67%) of a production increase from 3-23% and a 1.5% chance (4.5% * 33%) of a production decrease from 3-23% (but 13% on average).

(1 + (0.03 - 0.015) * 0.13) ^12 - 1 = 0.0237 or 2.37%

The coal mine will grow an average of 2.37% after the first year
(1.0237 ^20) - 1 = 59.6% after twenty years
(1.0237 ^50) - 1 = 321.8% or 3.22x after fifty years
(1.0237 ^100) - 1 = 10.35x after one hundred years

For an industry with rating of more than 80%, there is a 3.75% chance of increase and 0.75% chance of decrease:
(1 + (.0375 - 0.0075) * .13) ^12 - 1 = 0.0478 or 4.78%

The industry will grow approximately 4.78% after first year
(1.0478 ^20) - 1 = 2.54x after twenty years
(1.0478 ^50) - 1 = 10.32x after fifty years
(1.0478 ^100) - 1 = 106.62x after one hundred years

For good service, it takes 29.6 years on average to double; with excellent service, it takes 14.8 years. If in the game's time a day is 2.36 seconds, then the doubling time with good service is 7.1 hours; with excellent service, the doubling time is 3.6 hours. For production to go from near bottom of 100 to near maximum of 2100 takes 130 years with good service and 65 years with excellent service.

However, in game you will find industries changing their production rate very randomly. It must be stressed the above examples are only true when observing many industries over the long-term; individual industries may greatly deviate from these averages. Statistically speaking, 6 out of 10 industries will not go from 100 to 2100 even with the best service during 65 years. About 1 out of 9 industries will even lower their production when being served at 60-80% cargo transported for 50 years.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Arashpex Rogers posted:

Is the server down? The server list says it's offline...

It may have crashed. I'll check when I get home.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Apex Rogers posted:

Cool, thanks. Gotta get my vac-train setup going!

Okay it's up.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Joining the multiplayer server once will download all the GRFs you need to enjoy single player. :)

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

The server is down :supaburn: :f5:

Back up. Someone told me to restart the server during Eurovision (for reasons unrelated to OpenTTD) and I was too drunk to remember to restart the game once the server rebooted.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

This is... holy poo poo this is the same map (but new year)?

Yeah. I wasn't at home so I just started it without changing the generation seed. Bad idea?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is there anything redeeming about 1.2.1 that makes it worth losing all our other modifications?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

No idea, it was more that I couldn't get the version linked in the op to work whereas 1.2.1 runs fine :v

edit: something about graphics sets but copying the one from the latest version doesn't work.

What's the error message?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

Something about some incorrect variables in an ini file, followed by it stating that it needs a graphics set it can use. I'm guessing theres something in the graphics set that 1.2.1 uses which means it won't work for an older version.

Is there a readme somewhere on how to get this specific version of openttd goons are using to work?

Grab opengfx and opensfx from this archive (data folder) http://files.nekonex.com/openttd/22553M/OpenTTD_22553M_x64.7z

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'll restart it tomorrow when I wake up.

I don't really actively monitor the server when I'm not playing, so:

If anyone ever wants the server reset (and it's beyond 2050) just PM me

Quickest way to get my attention.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Drone_Fragger posted:

I can't help feel that more people would be playing this if it didn't take an age to get it working :<

For the last version we played, I made a 7z archive with everything you needed, just unzip and go. I should do that again.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The server I use to host it is still there, I just haven't bothered to start the OpenTTD dedicated server.

Though I have been craving to play it again.

Do we want to use our custom patched version with the extra goodies, or the latest vanilla code?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Okay, I'm working on it now.

• Locked thread