Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm just trying out CargoDist and after making a local setup - with 5 towns feeding into a central hub - I've decided to try something a bit bigger in scale (mainly to make more money).
It's still too early in my game to have the gigantic airports (and I've increased the length of days, so this could take forever) but I'm hoping to have as many towns and cities as possible feeding into one mega-hub from which I can distribute by plane, train and boat to wherever the numbers want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kingturnip posted:

...I'm hoping to have as many towns and cities as possible feeding into one mega-hub from which I can distribute by plane, train and boat to wherever the numbers want to go.

So far so good. I've got 5 big towns, all from 1-2 screens away feeding in so far, and aside from watching those platforms get more crowded by the day, I'm making lots of money.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

kingturnip posted:

So far so good. I've got 5 big towns, all from 1-2 screens away feeding in so far, and aside from watching those platforms get more crowded by the day, I'm making lots of money.

Slowly plugging away with this save. I recently noticed it was starting to get a bit clogged at times so I set about adding an extra 4 platforms and turning it into a 3-line entry.

I'll be honest, it looks pretty ugly and the 3rd line isn't actually being used yet, but I'm optimistic.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My current map is 2048x2048, so connecting every town/city is probably impossible.
I've started setting up local networks and connecting them to my hub via airports. Except since I haven't unlocked the Hub airports yet, my City one is getting very crowded.
I'm probably making £1.5m every month of game-time, although I've slowed the time down to 74 ticks per minute.

The only problem I've noticed with CargoDist so far is that it doesn't seem to equalise traffic across directions; so if I can easily load every plane/train going to my hub, I often struggle to load them up for the return.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Basically, CargoDist assigns a destination to every unit of cargo/passengers that the game creates.

Example 1: You create a route from Coal Mine A to Power Station Z. Coal at Coal Mine A is assigned a destination of Power Station Z, because it's the only place the coal can get to.
Example 2: Now connect Power Station Y to your network (possibly because you're using the mod that gives industries finite capacity) and some of the coal will want to go there instead. So now you need to set up trains to take the coal there.

Example 3: You've got a delightful network set up allowing Factory X to spunk as many goods out as possible. You want those goods to go to Buntingbridge (because it's a million miles away and it'll make you rich), so you connect Factory X to your Passenger network to make it happen. Except now that all the towns in your Passenger network can receive goods, your goods want to go there as well. Oops. Hope you can afford to create 75 new trains to transport your goods.

So what CargoDist does is force you to be a bit more realistic at times with how you set your networks up.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had a little stint on the server earlier.
It's kind of odd, going from my current offline game - where new trains cost £2m-£3m and running costs are astronomical - to go back to something where Monorail trains cost £80k and making money is dead easy.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Just had a passenger train make a cool £740,000 on a single drop-off.
1300 passengers travelling 2/3 of a 2048x2048 map... yeah, that'll be a nice money-maker.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Jonnty posted:

Passenger networks are a lot more fun with a cargo destinations patch, obviously. Freight seems dull by comparison when you've got one of those.

I tried downloading a cargo destination patch but couldn't get it working. It's nice having all the files available, but some of the authors seem to have forgotten to include a Readme file explaining how to use the files.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Either that, or move the depot one square along the track and put a signal in between the depot and the junction. Depots have built-in signals, so there might be a pathfinding oddity telling the trains to go get new directions.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Metrication posted:

I've mastered path signals, but presignals are still a complete mystery to me however hard I try.

I tend not to use presignals all that much, mostly because path signals work absolutely fine for 99.5% of station/junction layouts.
The advantage presignals give you is when you have a stupidly busy station, possibly with multiple entries/exits, and your aim is to minimise the time each train spends passing through. The guide in the OP is pretty good at explaining how to use them.

Here's an example of mine from earlier in this thread, of a station with 3 entry points.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Metrication posted:

Is this a good use for pre signals? I never can work out the best way to lay out terminus stations:

I'd probably use Path signals, because any train entering or exiting a platform - and they'll move slowly with the sharp turns - is going to prevent any other train from entering the complex.
Better would be to set it up something like:

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Something like this, you mean? (I missed a couple of signals, but you get the idea).

I'd certainly never claim to be great at OpenTTD, but I've rarely had trouble with a setup like that.
And when I do, and it happens regularly, it's a sign I should probably try converting the station to RoRo.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

is there a way to make this work better:

Try to get rid of 'tight' 90 degree turns as they really slow trains down.
Ideally, have the diagonal section half the length of the longest train that'll be on that stretch of track.

Also, it's already been suggested that you get rid of intersections. Having a train come to a complete stop isn't ideal. If you're tight for space on the ground, try having tracks above/below.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I tried to connect earlier, but was having trouble with the NewStations grf.
I downloaded whatever version the in-game browser sent me to, but I'm still getting errors when I try to connect.

I'm putting it in the newGRFs folder, along with everything else. Am I missing something obvious?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Dunno, maybe someone's taken the time to mess around with programmable signals to solve that problem?
Personally, I just make a crossover each way about 1 screen-width apart (at default zoom). I don't tend to have my trunk lines going to stations, but if a line is busy enough to need two tracks going towards a station, I'll make sure it's a ro-ro, and just have two entrances/exits. If the station is big enough and you pre-signal it efficiently, that should be fine.

The most I've ever needed for a station is 3 entrances/exits and that had something like 2 trains stopping each game-day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Tinkeron posted:

I have always started off with the best coal line I can find for this reason, all the factors for it line up to make it a backbone of your early economy. A single rail guideline to the furthest plant you can reach with whatever your max loan is, keeping a decent eye out for a path that makes it easy to widen in the future.

The best part about making a nice easy (if long) line to start with is that you can extend it to other Coal Mines with minimal expense.
Once I have, say, 5 Coal Mines hooked up to Power Stations, I feel ready to start getting a bit more creative.

• Locked thread