Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How do you guys get started building giant rail networks so fast? My little gold/valuables train can barely earn me money, and it takes forever to fully load up at stations which wastes time and operating costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

duz posted:

Gold and valuables don't make much money. I usually setup a two plane route between the two largest cities and that tends to get me plenty of money for train shenanigans.
Funny how the things I'd expect to make a poo poo ton of money won't make much at all. I'll try the coal thing, found a cheat sheet (read: OpenTTD wiki) for making ro-ro stations :smug:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

e: Never mind, fixed it. I forgot about the reverse train button. And 90-degree turns.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 4, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I finally figured out how to do signals, but I can't figure out why my trains keep entering and exiting the depots sometimes. Is it some weird thing with the routing system or is my block set up wrong?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Here's the layout:

In this picture you can see where one of the trains is entering the depot. It then comes out the same way it went in and then stops at the station and turns around after loading.

I did this initially to practice using signals which is why my money is huge (I cheated)

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I just tried it and they still do it even with the depot away from the track. I even tried putting in another signal to try to lock the trains onto their route.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I recently tried starting a coal service and not only did I waste a ton of money doing it but my company ran into the red:

Is this because the Japanese train pack has different prices or is this just me sucking at making a good coal route?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The thing is all the additional track/cost of building stations with 2 tracks kind of makes it hard for me to be able to build trains afterwards because by then I've used up so much cash I'm afraid I can't afford even a low level train.

I did try doing a coal route without the Japanese trains and was able to get a loop with block signals going, but I guess I should use path signals from now on since they're better.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I'm trying to join the server, but it keeps saying I'm missing NewStations 0.51, which I already have in the grfs folder :confused:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guess who had to clean up Tyrell's mess after thinking it would be a great idea to buy the company for $2?

Also, worst idea for a station signal layout ever:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Drone posted:

In my defense, that one wasn't one of mine. Someone else must have joined Tyrell and done that in an effort to make it profitable without actually fixing the problem.
That was me before I got the offer to join Tyrell. Then I noticed my money going red.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Beamed posted:

His signals are silly. He has the entry presignal setup right, but he doesn't actually have both silver ones set up at the station entrance. So it's just kinda useless.

(I think. :shobon:)
Yeah, they were messed up. I fixed them later.

Also, I just left the server very satisfied because I had brought Beadingstone from this:

to this:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

NewGRFs, I think, unless the Dolphin bus is vanilla. I also had a Cincinnati bus network going on and one in Aberdean.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Welp, I think I won't be able to get on the server anymore until the map resets because I keep being booted off for my computer being too slow. I did get a maglev line running along the shore to Miami, though, which is cool.

And Beadingstone is now gigantic:

Also, is there any way to stop the game from telling me I need a development snapshot of the graphics every time I start it up?

Zeether fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 4, 2013

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I saved the map for the multiplayer server offline, but it only lets me into one company (Fuckups United) and not my own company, is there any way to fix this?

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

sincx posted:

What is this heightmap? Companion Cube?
Yup.

Also, most unfortunately named city ever:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Whoever said sitting on a pile of riches in this game is boring is totally right, my company has 3 billion dollars and I don't feel like doing anything outside of maybe laying down a mapwide vacuum train system which would take forever.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I went back on the server, made a coal line, realized I made it too short, took out like 10 loans to make a longer one and now I'm in the red. Whoops.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Is there any way to make a line of one way block signals? I hate having to click on every single one to change it to one way.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

FISHMANPET posted:

If you Ctrl+click on a signal and drag in a direction it will auto fill signals at the interval determined in the signal window until it hits a junction. Is that what you mean?
I've done that but I can't make it so I have a string of one way block signals, just two way.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I made drunkill's maglev system better:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I could not get into Simutrans because it required more steps to get trains to actually load cargo and I wasn't seeing them do it when I actually did everything required.

Also echoing that the documentation is pretty bad and doesn't help at all.

• Locked thread