Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
No it's just as common in other industries. I had a coworker who got fired for wearing a t-shirt from our work into a bar because our boss didn't wan't the program to be associated with "reckless hedonism" (his words). Despite the fact that my coworker was a married man in his late 30's who was at a brewery/eatery with his wife and two kids. If you have any kind of public facing persona you shouldn't poo poo talk your bosses, express any ill will towards your workplace or question any decision publicly. It's a public venue being followed by thousands of people and you can't expect them not to punish you for biting the hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Memento posted:

Is wrongful dismissal not a thing in the US? Because if you did that here you'd be in front of a judge in a minute, who would then go on to ream you to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Here you're basically allowed to be fired for anything that doesn't put you in a protected class. And even then you can get around it by being a sneaky fucker. Like if you're a gay man with a public facebook page that identifies you as a employee, you can't be fired for being gay, but if you put up pictures every weekend of you and your roommates getting blitzed at some EDM show while wearing JNCO's and pacifiers they can fire you for presenting an image that they don't want their company associated with (Hobby Lobby is notorious for this kind of thing).

It's super lovely and it's loving over my town something bad right now. We have a ton of unemployed college grads, so if you're just an 18 year old kid or something its really hard to get a job bagging groceries or something because some dude with a random Liberal Arts degree is going to be more hireable. Combine this with the fact that they can fire people for BS reasons it means that a lot of big business around here just eats through really competent workers at an astonishing rate and leaves poor people who need jobs high and dry. It's practically an industry skill to figure out how to fire people for being undesirable to you and also it promotes people who are insane megalomaniac asskissers to every mid level position.

So yeah, I'm just really used to not sticking my neck out on any social media these days. I know for a lot of these wrestlers however it must be hard since Twitter is a way that they can have a minor amount of direct interaction with fans outside of the arms of WWE creative. It's just a very very fine line they have to walk while doing it. Actors have this issue too which can greatly hurt their publicity or make people think they are stupid or extremely airheaded (see: all the buzz about Emma Watson being bad at Twitter). If they aren't thinking about it right now I wouldn't be shocked if WWE is looking into hiring a social media etiquette guy to basically run all these guys thru the ropes on this stuff. I had an old buddy from school get picked up for a as-of-yet unaired TV pilot and they basically made everyone go to a two hour conference with a PR firm that outlayed exactly how they were going to be allowed to use social media if and when the show began.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think Regal wins the award for "most carny" by virtue of having been an actual carny.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
WWE is furiously on trip advisor right now seeing if they can get Dean Ambrose on a plane ASAP.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Yesssssssssssssssssssss
https://twitter.com/XavierWoodsPhD/status/523250592911994881

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Angular Landbury posted:

Strike that. Undertaker, the Rock and now Titus all shop at the same store.

Or they all get free swag from companies giving it away to wrestlers.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

TheJoker138 posted:

We should all just use swatch Internet time.

I have a SEGA branded internet time watch somewhere. They were given out as promotions for Phantasy Star Online back in the day.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Al Snow may have been the person with the greatest amount of being over in direct relation to how abysmally lovely his work was. I'm even counting, like, end of his life era Andre with the arm braces in here. Watch Capital Carnage, Al has a squash match on what might be the most B-tier PPV WWF ever had and people are going chimps throwing poo poo crazy for him. Like everyone on their feet, people screaming and waving heads around level over-ness.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Sabu could actually work pretty well, I'm just at this point like 80% sure he just did a lot of high risk easily botched poo poo because it was a running joke even back in the ECW days that he was a botch machine.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

NowonSA posted:

I too would enjoy a cursed title that people try to lose. Give me a match where you have to beat your opponent senseless, then put his lifeless body on top of you to force him to pin you :allears:.

This sounds like a Chikara or LU style thing TBH.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I thought Xavier Woods was the one who was infamous for doggy bagging the craft service?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

sticklefifer posted:

It's really telling how late WWF caught on to edgier TV. I think a few weeks before the start of 1998 was Vince's announcement of Attitude, where New Jack was pulling off stuff like that in '92-'95 in SMW and ECW.

Yeah but "don't do stuff New Jack does" is solid advice for everyone everywhere.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I feel like the only time we'll get to see Punk actually wrestle again is if Colt Cabana dies in the next fifteen years and they hold a memorial show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Grozz Nuy posted:

JR clearly doesn't think WWE is ever going to want him back, goddamn

Well at this point any scenario in which he comes back would involve them coming to him. He doesn't need money or fame at this point so he ca basically do whatever he wants and wait for them to try and negotiate with him.