Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Bocc Kob posted:

Do people just go around looking for excuses to get mad at things completely innocuous to their lives? :confused:

You may have a point, but couldn't the same be said of Jay's tweets in the first place? Gay marriage is fairly innocuous to his life, yet he felt the need to very angrily make a threat, however idle, about it. And that's why people are upset, because that kind of behavior is something that's slowly but surely being less tolerated in our society. Why? Because allowing it to fester has proven to result in actual violence and misery.

Plus, it's not so innocuous to wrestling fans who enjoy his work and are entertained by him. Those same fans probably wanted to see he and his brother get WWE contracts, and that might be off the table now as a result of this. And there's the simple fact that Jay is the ROH Champion and represents the promotion and the company that owns the promotion. Even if Sinclair's boardroom is full of people who agree with Jay's words, there's no way, from a business standpoint, they can condone it.

I don't want to get into a whole debate about the merits of homosexuality, but there was a time when people legitimately thought all gay persons were pedophiles. Something like pedophilia is still demonized at large by society and with good reason. Slowly but surely homosexuality has been mused on and reasoned with and proven to be something that's pretty innocuous to our society at large. Just like being African American, just like being a woman. And that's why intolerance of it is ... well, not tolerated much anymore. Regardless of Jay's reasons for saying what he did (probably due to his upbringing and religious beliefs,) society has deemed it unacceptable. Why? Because it creates an environment of hate and misery, and those things usually lead to legitimate violence and harm.

And, just from a moral standpoint, Jay doesn't want to seen as a person full of hate. If this really is about his kids, as he claimed it was, he surely doesn't want them to view their father as anything less than someone to be proud of. So while his opinion of gay marriage isn't going to change, and he'll probably teach his kids what he was taught, I am hopeful that what they said is true - that Jay agreed of his own volition to the apology and the donation, because it shows he's a good man who made a mistake, is willing to own up to that mistake, and, while he might not change his mind on the topic, is at least willing to show a level of tolerance and respect toward it. And really, what more can you ask of a person, no matter what they think?

Sorry if I went on too long in a thread that's supposed to highlight 140 characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Bocc Kob posted:

Yes, I think you could say the same of Jay's tweets. But, if he wants to get mad about the world around him changing, then he can sit there and be as mad as he likes and it wouldn't bother me in the least. Unless he has a personal history of assaulting homosexuals, I don't think it's fair to say letting him be homophobic is going to lead to anything dangerous. I also don't think a bunch of people on the internet jumping in and calling you an rear end in a top hat is going to get anyone to change their opinion of anything except people on the internet. Whether or not people can separate Jay Briscoe the person and Jay Briscoe the wrestler is their choice. People still watch Benoit matches and enjoy them. I don't think it makes you a better person if you don't or a worse person if you do. Either way, it's your choice. Risking losing a WWE contract for his personal views is his choice.

I think Briscoe being ROH champion during this is murkier. To a certain extent he does represent the company more than just wrestling for them, but his Twitter account is (or was) his personal account, not made by or for ROH. If they want to suggest he tone down or cut out his posts encouraging violence or discrimination toward groups of people while he's their champion that's one thing, but I think "insisting" he apologize at an ROH show and lose his next two ROH paychecks for words he typed outside of an ROH event is an extreme and unfair reaction. Browbeating and financially pressuring someone into making a false show of agreeing with you doesn't make the world better. Demanding people put up a shallow facade because someone can't handle words is the exact opposite of being open-minded and accepting and only encourages the mindset it's supposedly combating.

Twitter is serious business. :colbert:

He's the ROH Champion, so he's pretty much at the forefront of any ROH promotion. His twitter account wasn't just his personal account, it was a wrestler's account using his wrestling name and was public for everyone to see (if I remember right.) It might not have been made for ROH, but he's an ROH contracted wrestler now, so it is, in essence, an account representing ROH. Now, if he had said these things, say, on his private facebook account, that uses his real name, that only his personal friends and family are privy to, and it somehow got leaked, then yes, I would agree it would be unfair to judge him based on that, because it would have been private. But he's a public figure, knowingly using a public platform, and his words are susceptible to be judged by the public. And the public company that employs him has the right to act as a result of that. In fact, they'd be crazy not to. That's just the way it is.

I do, however, agree that it isn't right to force him to do anything in the name of saving face. It's a smart business move, but you're right that it doesn't change anything or fix any problems in the long run.

Which is why I said I hope he is genuine in his apology, even if his mindset remains unchanged (and let's face it, it does.) It was, if nothing else, a very poor choice of words (something that tends to happen a lot on twitter; go figure.) But again, if Jay is genuine in apologizing and isn't just being forced to do it, I can personally forgive Jay and ignore his personal opinion/preference on the matter, at least when he's trying to entertain me. And all other opinions aside, he's pretty darn good at doing that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

It started shaky and the line about playing characters was probably a bad thing to say, but those last words are what really hit hard, about how they teach you to love thy neighbor in his house.

Honestly, I believe he legitimately has a problem with homosexuality and meant he wanted to protect his kids from it, but I also believe that he realizes how stupid his words were and how they make him seem like an undesirable person. Ultimately, it's not like he's running for public office or anything - what goes on in his head and how he runs his household isn't a prolonged concern of mine now that he's admitted his mistake, shown remorse and apologized for it. And as long as he shows tolerance and respect on the matter going forward, well, that's all you can really ask of somebody.

Also I heard there were some signs like "Marry Me Jay" and "Shoot Me" at the show, and that they threw rainbow colored streamers at him. Obviously meant to be more light-hearted than antagonistic, so if everybody, including Jay, can take it in stride like that to move on, that's great.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

It was very obviously meant to be antagonistic. Maybe not necessarily toward, Jay, but they were definitely trying to troll the average ROH fan.

I don't think the group even showed up until shortly before the main.

Ah I assumed it was just ROH fans taking the piss, but I'll take your word for it. What is it lately with people at wrestling shows who don't seem to be actual fans rather than obnoxious look-at-me stanleys?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I don't think it was that bad. Probably a bit inappropriate, particularly if she was really offended by it, but he just leapt on the turnbuckle to pose. It's not as if he thrust forward or made contact. I guess it's the kind of thing you're either ok with or you're not.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, I didn't mean to defend it necessarily, I guess I just see Aries' side of it that it wasn't that bad. It's the kind of thing you'd think those in a wrestling environment would likely be used to (granted she's been retired from in-ring competition for years now.)

But if she was offended and upset by it, then the last thing he should do is taunt her.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

If modern WWE is willing to stop a match on live TV out of concern for a wrestler's health (even a seasoned international vet,) then they can get rid of an old-school oaf like DeMott. Where there's smoke, there's fire. And there's been a volcano's worth of smoke over the years.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Ryan Nemeth posted:

Briley ‏@HotYoungBriley 14m
Guys...JK JK.

Ryan Nemeth posted:

Briley ‏@HotYoungBriley 9m
Twitter has censors?

And when I refreshed the page the "too vague?" tweet disappeared along with the others. Hmm...

EDIT: Just refreshed again and the "JK JK" tweet is gone too.

EDIT 2: And now the "censors" tweet is gone.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 21, 2013

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair, if you're trying to approach Punk outside of an official signing or meeting spot, then he's technically under no obligation to acknowledge you.

But every wrestler has had their bad days and probably has stories about them when they weren't in the best of moods. I think when it comes to Punk, it really is a matter of respect and not automatically assuming he's ready to pay total attention to you. He's said in the past people have yanked his headphones off his ears to get his attention, and I can see why that would tick him off.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

404GoonNotFound posted:

Canadian Mutant Punk seems to be enjoying Wizard World Chicago:

It's actually Wizard World New York (Chicago's is in August,) but yeah he certainly does.

Kaitlyn @KaitlynWWE posted:

I look craaazy good... #SMACKDOWN http://via.me/-cywynpe

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Let's keep in mind that LuFisto nearly retired due to a back injury, and then suffered a stroke that probably hangs over her head every day, and then suffered a knee injury during Wrestlemania weekend.

Not that she's the only wrestler who ever had problems or injuries, but that's a lot of heavy physical stuff to deal with in addition to the emotional. Now that she's starting to get up there in age and pain, I wonder how she reacted to losing the Gut Check vote for TNA or if she's ever had a strong interest in trying to join one of the big two.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Does Vince have any longstanding enemies left? Bret came back. Bruno came back. Warrior is on the outskirts of coming back.

Time heals all wounds I suppose.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Maria's not that different than the Bellas (though I find her to be more attractive and interesting overall,) but I don't doubt a lot of the things she says about them. At least in terms of the gunning for power.

I don't know why we can't just have wrestlers in a wrestling company. At least then some of this would be justified.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I think her issue is that the Bellas didn't pay their dues, unlike Maria who had to get into the WWE the hard way (i.e. through the Diva Search)

The Bellas actually tried out for the Diva Search but never made the final cut.

I think her real issue is that they're dating two of the biggest stars and supposedly using that influence to do things like keep her and other gals from returning. Plus the rumors that this Total Divas show was born out of the reality show they shopped around Hollywood and that no one wanted during their brief departure.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

I saw earlier that someone asked Gunner what the difference between TNA and $5 Wrestling was other than $5 Wrestling pays its workers on time.

The difference is, if it wasn't for TNA, Gunner would be at $5 Wrestling.

In the crowd.

Because they were running the high school where he works.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

The Best Christmas posted:

(tweet was since deleted)

Not even one month into coming back, and you're already making GBS threads on anyone who isn't "on your level", a number which everyone else would consider to consist of 90% of WWE's hired workers.

God drat it, dave

I think he got pissed off that Del Rio mentioned his MMA fight and the fact that he fought a "plumber." Usually a sensitive issue anyhow, then you have to consider that Del Rio has 14 fights under his belt, including one with Cro Cop, compared to Batista's one.

Still, not very smart from Dave since those B level stars are about to become his co-workers.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I think GotG could go either way. The premise of a talking tree and a raccoon with a laser gun is one that will either be too ridiculous or just ridiculous enough.

As for Batista, I'm surprised people are thinking he'll end up heel. Thought it was obvious he would be returning as a face (probably to feud with Orton,) but I guess he could go either way too. I will say that heel Batista is worlds better than face Batista.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Tezzor posted:

I seriously haven't laughed this hard at something on the internet in months https://twitter.com/WWEZeb/status/422923535691309056

Those drat foreign made phones making people unintentionally tweet gibberish!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

I'm guessing he learned something from Heyman: push as many buttons as possible, cause controversy sells.

That sounds like a Bischoff lesson.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Of course the Bellas are going to improve when we get to watch them train live on TV nearly every week for years. Not that the Bellas are so god awful they still can't even run the ropes.

Of course Tamina is going to be sloppy when she gets a handful of the matches and has to work with other divas who aren't quite at her level, the level of a woman trained to some degree before she debuted. Not that Tamina is Natalya and had years of it only to come in and fart and be a Total Diva.

That being said, WWE is not the place for women's wrestling at all. They can work a match, that's about it. Finlay and Del Rey can make a nice quilt with the yarn they get, but they can't spin it into gold.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

At the same time, you gotta believe wrestlers want to wrestle, especially the kids of wrestlers. That's sort of the basis of the whole antagonism against the Divas division - the idea that the Bellas and Eva Marie are only in it for the money/fame, and that Natalya and Tamina are in it because they love wrestling.

Anyway, I nearly forgot we were in the twitter thread again, so to stay on topic, I went to see what Ryback was up to. Forgot his twitter has the 22 at the end, and ended up going to @Ryback. Oddly appropriate:

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

The reason pipebomb promos don't have as much of an explosion, is because they have no meaningful follow up whatsoever.

Hell, even Punk's pipebomb and WWE Championship walk out resulted in a job to Triple H, a job in the Hell in a Cell, and then a job as Triple H's tag team partner.

Personally, I think it's up to WWE to create an interesting enough environment with all of their talent, so that pipebombs are unnecessary. Rather than the current state of things where just about anyone not named John Cena could conceivably do one. Remember when JTG complained on twitter and got to job on RAW as a result?

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 21, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Evil Badman posted:

Yeah, you know, if you completely loving ignore the 434 day title reign.

The entirety of which took a backseat to whatever Cena was doing, and he spent half of being a chickenshit heel.

Not to belittle the fact that it happened, nobody can say Punk got a raw deal in that respect, but my point is it came months after the pipebomb, and after those three straight PPV jobs. And if Daniel Bryan does eventually get a proper WWE Title reign, it'll come after months of similar PPV jobs and screwjobs.

In other words, WWE doesn't strike while the iron is hot, they soak it in ice water first. It doesn't really matter what anybody says, if it isn't followed by action.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Even John Cena said on Austin's podcast recently that WWE has such a walking-on-eggshells environment that everybody's scared to speak up.

And while Ryder went about it the wrong way, the idea that it's up to the talent to get over AND market themselves AND let the company know that they deserved to be pushed, even when entire arenas are chanting for them - basically to do all the work - is pretty screwy.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

BigT posted:

Well its like that anywhere in any job. If you expect just your hard work and results to speak for yourself then you are going to have a crappy life. Sometimes you just gotta ask for poo poo and say you can do it. If you expect your boss to just do it, then you are an idiot and don't deserve it.

Fundamentally this should be wrong, but the sad reality of our world today is that nepotism rules the roost.

You'd just think that the brass would be able to recognize an elementary principle of skill and popularity, since it's, y'know, kind of their whole job. Case in point, if every arena is chanting for Daniel Bryan, maybe put the title on him at some point instead of screwing him four straight PPV main events and then turning him heel. If they can't, they're idiots and don't deserve to be successful.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

At the end of the day it's probably not fair of us to muse on what's best for these guys. As much as I'd like to say Ziggler should just take the shot if he hasn't already, it is a pretty big life decision, and could be the difference between a six figure income traveling the world, and paycheck to paycheck driving to whatever promotion will have you.

I just think it's fairly ridiculous of the company to let it get that far in the first place, and to cultivate this atmosphere of not just fear, but repeated and blatant teasing. I mean, from your first day in FCW/NXT they reprogram you to their style, and want you to believe you'll never be successful anywhere but there. And then if you do work your way up the ranks, you get the rug pulled out from under you time and again, apparently until you just take a shot talking to Vince direct. And it's not like they're just totally incompetent and blind to the ability of a lot of these guys, is what I'm saying. It's quite purposeful.

Makes you wonder why they even have so many people under employ if Vince is the only one who can get anything meaningful done. Really, it makes me think literally everyone is scared of Vince and he's surrounded by a thousand yes-men in Titan Tower, all afraid to have their own opinion lest it be the wrong one, which is why asking him directly is literally the only way to confirm his feelings so they can work from there.

It just hurts their business more than anything else. Considering it's a performance and the performers aren't being utilized to the best of their ability.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 2, 2014

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

It's on youtube? Seems like the kind of thing people would buy the Network for just to see it.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Zack's got all the potential in the world, and I've defended him dozens of times as someone who really got a raw deal and was never truly appreciated.

But even I have to admit at this point that the guy is, for lack of a better word, kinda spineless. Too spineless to burst into Vince's office with his ideas (at least that seems to be the general rumor/feeling,) and too spineless to just leave WWE and try his act somewhere else. Sure, it wouldn't be in WWE, but at least he could make his mark beyond twitter.

Then again, Brodus Clay's heel turn has amounted to nothing and Titus O'Neil's is quickly becoming nothing. Plus, it's not like we see RybAxel doing much either.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Delsaber posted:

I think that's more than just a rumour; Mick Foley said basically exact that on a Nerdist podcast a while back.

That's how I always took it, but you hear about guys like Punk and Titus and you start to wonder if it really is as simple as pitching ideas straight to the top. Might not actually result in anything, but I guess it's better than wondering out loud why they aren't using you.

I still tend to side more with Ryder anyway, because they had a gold mine on their hands and they treated it like a Pete Rose cameo. And look how long it took them to acknowledge Bryan was a star (still have to wonder if he wouldn't be Daniel Wyatt right now if not for some external factors.)

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Heh, Goldberg tattoo.

Speaking of the Sara tat, funny story: in the WWE Unscripted coffee table book that came out some years back, Undertaker talks about it and says something to the effect of "it's on my neck and that's forever, if we ever split I'll just have to find another woman named Sara."

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

When you've lived long enough, certainly when you've been on the internet long enough, you come to learn there are certain people who simply have no self-awareness or accountability whatsoever. They could tell you beards are ugly while flaunting their own chinstrap. That the sky is green just so they can look smart when they prove it's blue. That they hate it when people something completely oblivious to the fact that they do it themselves.

And they always have an excuse for it, even if it's a non-excuse like "we'll I'm the exception obviously." Basic logic and reason and common decency to recognize them don't seem to be registered in their brains. Rather than being an elaborate hoax of egotism, it appears to be a legitimate belief that they have.

I think Vince Russo might be one of these people. But I won't call him a fool, because if it wasn't for the people hiring him, keeping him around, he'd only have himself to convince.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

While I agree that you have to be careful what you say on twitter, they get so many mixed messages about what they're supposed to do in order to actually be successful, I can't necessarily fault somebody for trying to stand out, or even for blowing off steam. The longest reigning WWE Champion of the modern age got to that point by doing precisely that.

Zack Ryder's a perfect example. He got over on his own, handed them money on a silver platter, and they made him a cuckold on crutches before turning his very existence into a joke. I know a lot of people have turned on him because of his recent tweets, and I can't say I find it appealing either, but I can't really blame the guy given how completely screwed over he was.

Really this whole thing boils down to the incompetence of the company to use all of their talent in an effective way. Dolph Ziggler doesn't need to be a world title contender, but I can't remember the last time he was on TV before RAW Monday night. Look at a guy like Big E even - has all the traits they look for, friends with their golden goose, and he wins the Intercontinental Championship to promptly ... do absolutely nothing with it before dropping it to Bad News Barrett. Who, I'm sure, will follow the same footsteps more or less.

I guess what I'm saying is, if there was more of general confidence amongst talent that they mattered, they wouldn't feel compulsion to make these little quips on twitter. Say what you will about the Attitude Era, but at least the people on the roster always had a role. The Oddities would face The Headbangers in the opening match of a PPV instead of on Superstars, and there would be some kind of story to it, and the whole crowd would be doing that arm waving thing along with the Oddities and be excited to see them.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Honestly though, what does he expect? Your team is wearing black and you come out in bright blue. Not to mention the opponents are all in black too. For a "war" it just looked odd.

If that logo wasn't on his trunks, I would have said his luggage got lost.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

He's on point with that. Van Dam's act hasn't changed in 15 years. Ever since the WWE/ECW Title fiasco, he's basically been riding on the fact that he was an ECW guy and can be brought back for a surprise run every once in a while to do some back kicks and a Rolling Thunder and the frogsplash.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I'd buy that WWE doesn't want them to speak English on camera. And so far every Japanese wrestler has ended up as something of a comedy character rather than someone in a decent position on the card. Kenzo Suzuki went from a potential main eventer to gleefully talking about his love of America in broken English.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

Why does Dave 'hate to' say that? Sounds like fun.

Considering two aren't a lock yet, I just figured he didn't want to say anything until it was confirmed. But if it's really as big as he claims, with Bauer commenting on it too, then I guess he feels he has to.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know, obviously WWE wants a professional product, but I don't think the fans/subscribers would care as long as they got the content. As long as I can see it and it doesn't look like somebody filming a movie screen, I'm good. Zack Ryder got himself over using youtube equipment after all.

Meanwhile, over on twitter....

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Thauros posted:

Do you think they could even go back to a PPV model if they wanted to though at this point? Selling PPVs at $50 after a year of a very hard sell of telling people to buy them at $10 sounds like it could end in disaster.

They'd probably lose some buys, but if you have no other choice but to order the PPV again to see the show, people would do it.

All the archival footage is all well and good, but when you establish a network, you need original programming to get people hooked and sustain it. The only thing I can think of that's original/exclusive is Legends House, a 10 episode series shot two years ago.

The countdown shows don't count, because really, it's just more archival footage. And they seem to have already given up on pre/post shows for RAW and Smackdown for the most part (not that they have much to add.)

I know all that stuff costs money, but hey, I'd rather watch, say, Adam Rose host a bizarre talk show than beat Damien Sandow for the tenth time in as many seconds on RAW.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Memento posted:

It's box office gross. But if we include total profit, The Hulkster is significantly behind the 8-ball, on account of the fact that Santa with Muscles (lol) took a little over $220k at the box office, for a (rumoured, couldn't find any hard data) production cost north of $12 million, bankrolled by Jordan Belford.

Does that include films Hogan was a part of, like Rocky 3?

Because let's be honest, Batista is a star of GotG, but not the star. Compare Santa With Muscles to, say, House of the Rising Sun (a direct to DVD joint Batista starred in a few years ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Almost nothing the announcers say sounds very genuine, and telling us to buy the Network instead of what's actually on it doesn't help. But I have to say, as blatant as the 9.99 thing was, at least it seemed like they were having fun with it instead of just "oh yeah, five minutes passed, Network, go for it." Just like those old DX merch promos.

In general though, WWE seems to not understand how to connect with the audience and even actively despises them. How many times has Trips opened the show with a "aw did someone not get what they wanted" promo, or a "gee, I'm gonna go complain about it on the internet with my friend Mark." Obviously with the 700,000 subscriber number announced on Thursday, they were taking a jab at everyone who hadn't bought it yet.

And on the subject of Restaurant Impossible, yeah, Santino was acting silly and incompetent and fought with The Miz, and Robert got pissed at them both.

Back on the subject of twitter, Orton's still dealing with that woman:

Basically he says she waited outside the gym to get a photo with him to taunt his girlfriend, not knowing who she was, and she's a stalker.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Aug 6, 2014