Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
He's doing public appearances, so why wouldn't he be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Electric Lady posted:

Oh my god Bix please spill the beans!!
Soon. :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

So since this is the appropriate thread I guess:

WWE FCC complaints article is coming late this week or early next sat MEL.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Since, again, I guess this is technically the appropriate thread, my WWE FCC complaints article went up today: https://features.wearemel.com/there-are-a-lot-of-people-complaining-to-the-fcc-about-pro-wrestling-129708881d6f#.34fqoiibk

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

oh my

https://twitter.com/mannixxbella/status/790230538292436992

davidbix fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 24, 2016

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Saints Crow posted:

Noted advocate of grabbing women's private parts Jerry Lawler
Surprised you didn't go with "fellow accused rapist of 13 year-olds Jerry Lawler," to be honest.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mystery Opponent posted:

Spill the beans rovèr, what are the circumstances
A lot of it isn't exactly secret.

Everyone who was in the arena knows that T.J. wasn't taken away on a backboard/collar and had to walk to the back on his own power.

The Bruce Hart interview discussing what happened was basically true from everything I had heard: http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2015/9/4/9264237/bruce-hart-tyson-kidd-wrestling-career-over-wwe-ambulance-refusal

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ChuckDeNomolos posted:

i am surprised that, mike "i pissed on someone who wasn't exactly consenting to it for a bet" elgin has some skeletons in his closet
Is that trailer still online? I had completely forgotten about it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

davidbix posted:

Is that trailer still online? I had completely forgotten about it.
After realizing what shoot it was (Kevin Steen Show) the answer is no, though I have no clue when exactly it was pulled. Only copy on Wayback Machine doesn't have the video, either. The shoot is still on HWN, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Well technically it seems like people missed it until someone told Peyton herself about it.

https://twitter.com/PeytonRoyceWWE/status/1029775450044866566

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Super No Vacancy posted:

every bix article is good except the one about the SCI which is not all newsworthy. he should stop tweeting because it reflects poorly on his actual work

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I agree and wonder if he's doing the Meltzer thing where apparently being a total dick on Twitter actually gets more people to read your stuff.
Who said it needed to be newsworthy? My Deadspin articles aren't always h0t newz.

Re: Twitter I think I just come off as way more of a dick if I'm being opinionated in short bursts. ("You're much nicer in DMs/in person" is something I've gotten both first and secondhand.) It's not a deliberate strategy a la Dave. :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Normally I'd say Rollins should be sending him a christmas gift every year but it started with "The way Cornette tells it" which is almost as reliable as "According to Hulk Hogan"
Whatever you think of Cornette's views on current wrestling among other things, he really doesn't have a reputation for dishonesty about this kind of thing at all.

MassRafTer posted:

Please hack VB so the thread title can fit this entire tweet.

https://twitter.com/TerryBrunk/status/1044012913428619264
Might as use this as an opportunity to tell a story.

4 years ago, the second article I wrote for Fighting Spirit Magazine was about the 20th anniversary of ECW's The Night The Line Was Crossed show. Brian Elliott put me in touch with Sabu, and while he was actually tremendously insightful about wrestling itself, there was one incredibly awkward moment. I'm paraphrasing since I don't think I have the recording anymore, but it was something like this:

"So Paul E's a queer, and he was in love with me..."

I tried to move on ASAP and the rest of the interview was fine, more or less.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

That post was like two weeks ago and honestly I'd forgotten I even made it but I'm glad he's not at least completely full of poo poo
I was catching up on this thread (though I thought I had read it more recently in spite of where the board told me I had unread posts). :)

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Is...Is that real? That might be the saddest thing I've seen in well a week I guess the world's pretty lovely.
Yes. They made sure not to shoot him on TV.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm not saying zenjos can't cut promos, I'm just saying I'm not gonna assume they're good just because the delivery is because I made a promise after I found out AJPW Orgasm Man was Actually Bad.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

I know what you were saying. I was making a joke about the reception to your badly worded tweet.
Oh, I know, I'm just going along with it!

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

I assume this was the guy who'd loving lose his mind during those Kawada/Misawa matches? Remind me to never look up translations and keep the beautiful fantasy alive.
Yeah, the "DEEE! DEEEEEEE! TEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" guy and so on. My memory of how it goes, which IIRC is mainly from a PWO thread, is something like this:

The lead announcer was Akira Fukuzawa. Everyone in the west thought that Orgasm Man and Fukuzawa were one in the same for years, but they were not. Orgasm Man was his sidekick who I forget the name of. And Orgasm Man, it turns out, according to Japanese speakers, was actually kind of a poor man's David Crockett who just yelled poo poo a lot while Fukuzawa did the actual work.

I may be getting some of the specifics wrong, but the gist should be right.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Setting aside how the Aria Blake/Hunter Law pile on started (she phrased it oddly but some folks definitely jumped on WAY too harshly in the pile-up)...

I don't really see why so many people are so up in arms over the larger paying dues romanticization as if that's what's keeping indie wrestler wages down and not the larger economics of indie wrestling for the most part? "Wrestlers being paid better would be good" and "based on the scale of indie wrestling you do have to do things to pay your dues for various reasons" are not mutually exclusive points of view. Obviously any promotion that can afford it should pay more when they can—especially since there are some prominent ones that insist on paying wrestlers below their usual rate "for exposure"—but it's not like there's close to as much wiggle room as a ton of people were acting like there was today.

Hell, a lot of the examples that wrestlers were giving weren't even about working matches and taking bumps! They were about driving just to show your face, volunteering to help out on a ring crew, etc, plus the experience that can be gained in a more general sense, not just in-ring, like getting to spend a long car ride with a vet who could teach them for hours.

I get where people were coming from, don't get me wrong, and obviously there's some stuff that's hard to glean from the story that opened the can of worms without knowing what promotion it involved, but it's not as if there are plenty of scenarios where $40 would be fair. Not in the putting your body on the line sense, of course, but in the "how could the show be realistically budgeted" sense.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 26, 2018

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think it's because there is a really thin line between "paying your dues" and "Let someone take advantage of you because that person allowed themselves to be taken advantage of when they were in your shoes". The bigger problem of most local indies being unable to survive unless they pay people like poo poo isn't something the wrestling community can really solve on its own, it will always be tough to survive as a niche artist under capitalism. But they can at least stop romanticising a bad system and stop acting like "paying your dues" is anything but a harsh reality of economics. The other problem with romanticising paying your dues is that it ignores that luck is a big part of being successful. Like, Seth worked really hard. I'd never take that away from him. But claiming that people like him get where they are by just hard work and paying their dues ignores the fact that he got lucky that he never got hurt, ill, or just put into a financial situation that he couldn't handle by working a day job and his 20$ bookings. It makes it sound like people without that luck just didn't work hard enough, they didn't pay their dues.

This also feels like a place where wrestling is a step behind a lot of similar industries. Artists and writers are pushing back on the predatory "work for exposure" attempts. A lot of industries in general are pushing back on unpaid internships as being free grunt work instead of a learning opportunity.

I also agree that financially there is only so much a local indie can pay talent and that you'll probably end up having to work under what you should be valued if you want to make it in the business, but if anyone is defending it with anything beyond a shrug and a "That's capitalism" then they're not helping and they're romanticising a problem.
Agree 100% with all of this.

Something that contributes is that the same people who are going to be paying you hundreds if you break out as an indie star is the same promoter who might have been paying you $40 months earlier. You're working your way up to a bigger piece of the pie based on your perceived value, not a better spot elsewhere unless you get one of a finite number of good money contract gigs. To make a writing comparison: Someone might make the mistake of writing for FanSided thinking they can parlay it into real money somewhere else, and they'd most likely be wrong. But, advancing in indie wrestling, if you're good enough and make the right hookup, you can raise your stock overnight and make more money from the same people. It's not the same kind of "for exposure" bullshit as a result.

I'm not really sure what the solution is. Less wrestlers on cards—and a lot really are too bloated anyway—would hurt a lot of guys but also make the pie tidier for those who remain.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

ICHIBAHN posted:

The idiots need to unionize. Simple as that
On the indie level? How exactly, both functionally and legally, do you expect that to happen with legit independent contractors as opposed to the WWE misclassified variety?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gaz-L posted:

On a similar note, I had to shake my head when Trips was on one of the NXT media calls and was talking about telling Ricochet that he shouldn't be making his flips look so easy. Which is like... why did you even hire him? How do you miss the point so massively? (Then again, Vince apparently said they have a million guys who can do what AJ Styles does, which is demonstrably false. They have like 2)
Wait did this really happen? I need a link and time stamp.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

JBL is just a regular guy who's had several wrestlers and former writers talk about his aggressive sexual tendencies against young men and pushed a culture of bullying who now coaches a youth Rugby team on an island where they can't get to him.
Well, this just made me quiver.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah I thought it was widely known that JBL should be in jail for all the young people he's probably mentally and physically hosed up over the years
I knew about his rep and I knew about the youth rugby stuff but I never really thought about them *together*.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Weren't they suckerpunches, too?
Yup, right to the back of the head.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The TNA match was the first in the United Arab Emirates, but there were women on at least one mid-'80s WWF tour of the Middle East, at least on the shows in countries that would allow it. (Per Gama Singh, they wore tracksuits and accompanied wrestlers to the ring in the countries that didn't.) But good luck finding results. There's a guy in Kuwait uploading a ton of old wrestling from Kuwaiti TV to YouTube, but most of it is repurposed American footage with just a few matches from Kuwait so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCgGoQ9oVSFQNF9N9Ut9uEiA

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Gonzo McFee posted:

Holy poo poo that's hosed up.
I thought paramedics are required to take anyone with a head injury to the hospital?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

This app is free.

https://twitter.com/BookItGabe/status/1076997981281374208

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

The vast majority of WWE fans are like 55
No, that's the median.

WWE programming also heavily over indexes on black and Latinx viewers compared to the norm.

And I believe that chart had the WNBA furthest to the left, not the NBA, but with the NBA being furthest to the left of the big 4.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I'm just glad we can agree for once that I didn't actually do anything to bring this upon myself.

So is this brazen lying or concerning delusion? Because neither me nor the other guy said anything like Graves thought he was replying to.

Also, Elgin being the only wrestler to RT that stuff is hilarious. That idiot has no idea how lucky he actually is...

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

what exactly did you do to rile up the weird Elgin truther corner of wrestling Twitter?
They think I have some kind of information I could publish/tweet/share/whatever that would help him triumph over Mo. Or something? And/or Elgin thinks I owe him by way of us being friendly in the few months before everything blew up. (Which, although it feels like an eternity ago now, was when it seemed like becoming a father and running his own business had matured him.)

Plus there's a lot of zero sum moral absolutism with that crowd: Say Meltzer and others running Mo's name was a bad thing out of line with current journalistic standards and you're branded a Mo white knight. Question her GoFundMe situation and you're branded a pro-Elgin troll. And so on and so forth.

I do have my own regrets about things I could have handled better, but I don't think either side would have ever been happy with me, regardless, because there was no way I could ever get anything about the whole mess past a mainstream editorial and legal team.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

uwahahaha

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doesn't WWE own most of the footage?
WWE only bought the developmental era footage. Before and after is still owned by OVW, though only recent footage appears to be up so far.

That said, gently caress Al Snow. Don't give him any of your money.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MrBling posted:

Joey can be fun on twitter.

...I thought they changed the name from Uncensored to United years ago?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Mary-Kate broke Twitter.

https://twitter.com/marykayfabe/status/1110720558335963137

https://twitter.com/NINaylor/status/1110726086739091456

https://twitter.com/TJWilson/status/1110730281344995329

https://twitter.com/ColtCabana/status/1110729161826545664

https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status/1110725413968457729

https://twitter.com/SaxonHuxleyUK/status/1110750932734750722

https://twitter.com/marykayfabe/status/1110749345568223233

https://twitter.com/IVPvideos/status/1110749950827266048

https://twitter.com/IanRiccaboni/status/1110749943411732480

But Lance had to be Lance:

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1110751700896276481

https://twitter.com/CheeseburgerROH/status/1110753128918462464

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Aesop Poprock posted:

Not having any idea who this Mary Kate lady is, is there a decent chance she’s just making it up?
Mary-Kate Anthony, the former Mary-Kate Grasso who used to shoot photos ringside at ROH shows. She's legit; she's been best friends with Marcy Engelstein, Bret's fan club president-turned assistant for decades and Marcy had Bret send MK his tapes about 10 years ago to digitize for him. She just didn't realize there was anything rare/holy grail-ish in there until about a week or so ago.

To add to some of the above:

It wasn't that Magee looked great on his first AJPW tour as much has he was a Stu Hart project who he asked Bret to put in a good word for/get a tryout on the same show Owen was getting one. Magee checked off every box as a prospect: Tall, handsome bodybuilder and strongman who was also a gymnast and a karate black belt. If he came around today, he'd be the ultimate Performance Center project. From Bret's book:

quote:

I found McGhee with Owen, and told him that if he trusted me, I’d get him over, “Give me your three absolute best moves. If you have a good match, Vince will have big plans for you.” I designed a match that was really simple, inserting his big moves at just the right times. While I worked out my match with McGhee, Owen did his best to design a match with a chubby jobber who clearly didn’t have the skills he needed. I knew that Owen, coming from a Stampede background, would struggle with the concept of eating up a jobber in four minutes.

Owen went into his first spot, where he ran up the ropes like steps, but the jobber didn’t support him and he slipped and fell flat on his rear end. It went downhill from there. Finally, Owen came off the top with a beautiful dive for the pin fall. As he came back into the dressing room I saw the disappointment in his eyes.

Minutes later I walked out with Jimmy Hart to a chorus of boos. Then McGhee came out looking like a handsome, well-muscled statue with curly golden locks. The crowd cheered as he jumped straight up to the ring apron and skipped right over the top rope. Once the bell sounded he did everything exactly as I’d told him. As good as he looked, he was horrible, pathetically phony. I struggled to maneuver him into place without the fans realizing his shortcomings, putting on an absolute clinic for anyone who ever wanted to know how to make a big green guy look great.

When I came back through the curtain, Vince and Pat had swarmed all over McGhee. Afterwards it was Tom who told me that Vince nearly wet his pants while watching the TV monitor, as he exclaimed loud enough for all to hear, “That’s my next champion!” I felt bad that Owen had been completely ignored while McGhee not only got hired, but appeared like he was going to be elevated to superstar status! Not only that, Vince seemed to think McGhee did it on his own.

Back at the hotel, Roddy told me I should have made McGhee look bad, but I just couldn’t do that. The next morning Owen went home totally dejected.

It turned out Magee had no aptitude for wrestling; Bret was just that good. But...it looks like WWE either misplaced or lost their copy (Bret wanted it on a DVD and they couldn't find it; ex-developmental wrestlers and office like Cabana and Naylor repeatedly asked for copies and never got them), and Dave Meltzer, who helped enhance the legend of the match a lot, can't find his copy. The date on the label is almost definitely wrong; their 2nd match, which Bret says is terrible because Magee called it(!) was at a TV taping months earlier in '89 and Magee looks to have finished up a few weeks before the date on the label. My guess is the date on the label is when it was dubbed, maybe with Bret asking after hearing Magee was cut.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

TheCool69 posted:

I love it! WrestlingTwitter in a nutshell... Only thing missing is Bix jumping in and making GBS threads on Dave for being biased.

It all started with this 411Wrestling ("scoop site") posting this.
1. I did the opposite. Pfft.
2. I don't believe the time buy story, but 411 had Tony Maglio, the TV Editor for The Wrap on their podcast, which is where he shared that. It wasn't just a random rumor dropped on a copypasta site.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

fart blood posted:

She’s cool but she does cup therapy so she’s not that cool
Oh are we REALLY doing this?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

fart blood posted:

It is snake oil, sir. It’s on the level of essential oils. :colbert:
This is why generalizations are bad. I know "essential oils" has become kind of a catch-all term for snake oil as of late for reasons I'm not entirely clear on, and I'm sure there are "miracle" uses of essential oils that are total B.S., but that doesn't mean that, say, tea tree oil doesn't have some dermatologic uses or that lavender isn't relaxing.

Cupping to removed vaguely-defined "toxins" is clearly nonsense. Cupping for massage-like benefits, among some of the other things that there have been clinical trials on? That's a different matter.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

fart blood posted:

You didn't quote the part where I said I liked your work. I'm hurt.
I didn't want to conflate the issues. But thank you for the positive feedback. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

the clinical trials on cupping are still b.s. that support similar useless things like pricking a finger to relieve indigestion or smearing "medicine" on your skin to reduce blood pressure
Citation needed.

Also "transdermal medication does not exist" is kind of a weird take.