Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey, anyone here ever preorder an Omnibus from Amazon? With the stock issues marvel has had with their most recent omnis I decided to preorder the Uncanny X-men Omnibus Volume 4 and it was expected to deliver on March 5th. March 5th comes and suddenly the omni is listed as out of stock and my order page lists the expected delivery date as March 15th.

Has Amazon done this with anyone else and should I be concerned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nyeehg posted:

Hey, anyone here ever preorder an Omnibus from Amazon? With the stock issues marvel has had with their most recent omnis I decided to preorder the Uncanny X-men Omnibus Volume 4 and it was expected to deliver on March 5th. March 5th comes and suddenly the omni is listed as out of stock and my order page lists the expected delivery date as March 15th.

Has Amazon done this with anyone else and should I be concerned?

I would contact them right away. Best case scenario they'll tell you when it's expected to be delivered. Worst case scenario it's not coming and you'll get your money back sooner. :sweatdrop:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

JordanKai posted:

I would contact them right away. Best case scenario they'll tell you when it's expected to be delivered. Worst case scenario it's not coming and you'll get your money back sooner. :sweatdrop:

Well apparently I can expect it to be delivered on the 14th. They didn't give a reason but at least its still coming.

Considering the only Claremont X-men Omnibus I'm missing is inferno it would be poo poo to miss out on this.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I'm slowly accumulating X-Men and X-Men related comics in omnibuses and OSHCs and was wondering where Asgardian Wars fits in. Is it in a gap in the omnibuses that'll probably get filled in and collected at some point? Or should it have been included in an already published omni but wasn't?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

I'm slowly accumulating X-Men and X-Men related comics in omnibuses and OSHCs and was wondering where Asgardian Wars fits in. Is it in a gap in the omnibuses that'll probably get filled in and collected at some point? Or should it have been included in an already published omni but wasn't?

It would be in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 5, which hasn’t been announced yet but probably will be. It’s also in the most recent X-Men Marvel Masterworks, which is one volume away from catching up to the Mutant Massacre omnibus, so those two Marvel Masterworks plus maybe some content from Mutant Massacre will probably be vol 5 of the X-Men omnibus. (I too have just gotten into the X-Men omnibuses)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It would be in Uncanny X-Men Omnibus 5, which hasn’t been announced yet but probably will be. It’s also in the most recent X-Men Marvel Masterworks, which is one volume away from catching up to the Mutant Massacre omnibus, so those two Marvel Masterworks plus maybe some content from Mutant Massacre will probably be vol 5 of the X-Men omnibus. (I too have just gotten into the X-Men omnibuses)

Thanks!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

In case you thought DC was done openly spiting god, they've recently announced a Justice League Dark (new 52) omnibus that will come in at an obscene 1640 pages. :vince:

Other new omnibus announcements include:

-Deathstroke (Rebirth) omnibus
-Batwoman (Rebirth) omnibus
-The Books of Magic omnibus vol. 2
-Batman: No Man's Land omnibus vol. 1
-Green Arrow: The Longbow Saga omnibus vol. 1
-Batman by Scott Snyder (New 52) omnibus vol. 2
-Batgirl of Burnside omnibus

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

In case you thought DC was done openly spiting god, they've recently announced a Justice League Dark (new 52) omnibus that will come in at an obscene 1640 pages. :vince:

Other new omnibus announcements include:

-Deathstroke (Rebirth) omnibus
-Batwoman (Rebirth) omnibus
-The Books of Magic omnibus vol. 2
-Batman: No Man's Land omnibus vol. 1
-Green Arrow: The Longbow Saga omnibus vol. 1
-Batman by Scott Snyder (New 52) omnibus vol. 2
-Batgirl of Burnside omnibus

I assume that should be Longbow Saga 2?

Finally on the 2nd Snyder omni. And pleased about Books of Magic, was worried that they would drop it after the first one. But IMO it seems DC has been much better recently on putting out (and sticking with) their omnis. Now if they'd only put the rest of the Unwritten hardcovers out (or omni it).

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

As I understand it, DC is poo poo when it comes to reprinting omnis, right? So my chances of finding a Neal Adams Batman omni for less than $175 are pretty much nonexistent?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

As I understand it, DC is poo poo when it comes to reprinting omnis, right? So my chances of finding a Neal Adams Batman omni for less than $175 are pretty much nonexistent?

I would not count on it, no. They do reprint omnibuses from time to time, but it's not a regular undertaking of theirs.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

So as it turns out, that Superman by Grant Morrison omnibus has more issues than a lack of page numbers. Sholly Fisch is incorrectly credited as "Sholly Finch," a few issues are in the wrong order, and one of the pages is missing speech bubbles entirely. DC quality control does it again.

According to Bleeding Cool, DC will send retailers fixed replacements for every removed spine they receive. No word on what individual consumers can do to get a replacement, unfortunately.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Hippo posted:

As I understand it, DC is poo poo when it comes to reprinting omnis, right?

Let's not pretend that Marvel is any better. I'm still waiting on the fifth hardback collection of Unbeatable Squirrel Girl for example.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

From what I've noticed, at least Marvel in particular, they take community feedback into consideration. A few omnibus have been reprinted just due to demand and fan input...

Captain America by Brubaker
Daredevil by Brubaker or Bendis (I forget)
Annihilation
Annihilation Conquest
Wolverine
Loki
New X-Men
The Ultimates
I think a bunch of Spiderman too.

Personally, I would much rather they print out a "ton" of them and backlog them, while they focus on omnibuses that haven't been printed before... Gwen-Pool, newer Wolverine etc.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hickman FF Vol 1 Omni Reprint is up for $89 on Amazon right now to pre-order.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was on an IKEA quest and stopped at an Ollie's I'd never been to and found a copy of Manhunter Trial By Fire which completes my run of those books. Quite pleased that I stopped.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I was on an IKEA quest and stopped at an Ollie's I'd never been to and found a copy of Manhunter Trial By Fire which completes my run of those books. Quite pleased that I stopped.

My local Ollie's seems to get shipments in once every 6 months or so. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm assuming this had been sitting for a long time, it's got some dinged corners. But I have a physical copy so that made me happy.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Agh, volume 4 of BPRD: Hell on Earth has gone out of print and I haven't gotten around to buying it yet. Now there will be a hole in my Hellboy collection that's not going away for a long time. :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I'm just wondering if you guys have any suggestions for omnibuses, etc for self-contained graphic novels? Preferably one that doesn't cost a small fortune, though! :v:

Since yeah? I don't read many graphic novels normally, so I don't own many. Just the Watchmen ones (original plus Doomsday Clock and Before Watchmen) and I've got a couple of new ones on the way. (Newish V for Vendetta edition, plus a 40K one I randomly bought after a recommendation. About the Spiral Cult, or something. I'm not MASSIVELY into 40k, but it seems interesting - has some thrillerish+horror elements)

Anyway, I've taken a look at some other recommendations and reviews, but it seems like half of the omnibuses for those are huge collections in the end, which cost many hundreds of dollars. So yeah, I'm not really fussed about theme (I mean, I'm pretty open. Doesn't have to be superhero stuff like Watchmen, or scifi like the others), I'm just after self-contained plotlines, which I don't need to read runs of other stuff to fully grasp.

Thanks! (And apologies if this isn't the best spot for this question! Seems like it's the general thread for omnibuses though, which is why I did)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
For more Alan Moore there's The Killing Joke and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow, both of which are pretty short and self-contained. You might be interested in The Watchmen Companion, which collects role-playing games that were co-written by Moore. His run on Top Ten was fairly short too, though there are some spin-offs.

For Batman there's Arkham Asylum and Year One. And from the same team that did Year One is Daredevil: Born Again (both of them collect issues of ongoing series but are self-contained).

Larry Gonick has done a lot of science graphic novels like The Cartoon Guide to Physics and The Cartoon Guide to Biology.

Will Eisner did a lot of realistic graphic novels like Dropsie Avenue and A Life Force.

China Miéville's complete run on Dial H is in one book.

Amazing Forest and Sun Bakery are collected anthologies of science fiction and fantasy.

Manhunter by Goodwin and Simonson is a short collection, and Goodwin was also involved with The Golden Age, a mini-series about superheroes in the 1940s.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hickman X-Men omnibus pre-order is up on Amazon right now for $65.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is anyone else having trouble getting excited for the Hickman X-men Omnibus?

Don't get me wrong, he's doing great work. However I've found the most fun way to read the current era of X-men is to essentially read everything as it comes out (or via the dawn of x trades). While I'm sure you can just pick and choose a title to follow I'm loving all of them and having a book that only collects 1 Krakoa X title doesn't feel like a good fit for me.

Now if marvel released a set of Dawn of X hardcovers/omnis I'd buy those in a heartbeat. I doubt that's gonna happen though.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Nyeehg posted:

Don't get me wrong, he's doing great work. However I've found the most fun way to read the current era of X-men is to essentially read everything as it comes out (or via the dawn of x trades). While I'm sure you can just pick and choose a title to follow I'm loving all of them and having a book that only collects 1 Krakoa X title doesn't feel like a good fit for me.

Now if marvel released a set of Dawn of X hardcovers/omnis I'd buy those in a heartbeat. I doubt that's gonna happen though.

It's not for first time readers but I think his stuff works well as a collection. Besides, it'll look good next to the House/Powers and X of Swords hardcovers.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

It's not for first time readers but I think his stuff works well as a collection. Besides, it'll look good next to the House/Powers and X of Swords hardcovers.

Oh I don't doubt it'll look good. Just doesn't make sense for me personally (and possibly only me). If I ever revisit stuff I prefer to have it all in one place rather than jumping back and forth between books (hence why I prefer the dawn of x trades to the individual trades for each title).

In any event, I get why people are happy for this omni. For all my griping now don't be suprised if I end up buying it anyway once it actually comes out :v:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nyeehg posted:

Why do you think they're not going to come out with a Dawn of X omni?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Today our local comic shop chain had a Buy Two/Get One Free sale on TPBs, hardcovers, and graphic novels for Free Comic Book Day. I treated myself to three G.I. Joe TPBs I've been looking forward to reading ever since I devoured Cobra: The Last Laugh. These seem to follow that story arc in the same continuity, by the same creative team of Mike Costa and Antonio Fuso.

Most shops around here hardly carry any IDW books, but this location that is much further away than my usual shop had a huge IDW G.I. Joe selection. I was impressed to see so many TPBs, including most of the Classic G.I. Joe Marvel reprints. Anyway, I was thrilled to find them, and I had a gift certificate with $21 left on it, so I essentially paid $20 out of pocket for all three books.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm kind of surprised that Marvel announced an X-Men omnibus without announcing a New Mutants omnibus, or even folding them together into a single, larger release. The Dawn of X titles are so interconnected that I think only reading one of them would leave you with a lot of unanswered questions.

That doesn't mean I'm not getting the omni, though. :retrogames:

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Why do you think they're not going to come out with a Dawn of X omni?

I think I was just feeling pessimistic and jumped to the conclusion that this Hickman omni means we won't get a dawn of x omni.

Now that I've had a good sleep it makes more sense that Marvel would do a dawn of x omni later andhope to get some people to double dip.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Nyeehg posted:

it makes more sense that Marvel would do a dawn of x omni

Just one? It's going to end up looking like this in that case:

:newlol:

radlum
May 13, 2013
How is the classic Hama/Costa-Gage GI Joe stuff collected? I know IDW makes HC for their own recent stuff, but how can I find those runs?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

radlum posted:

How is the classic Hama/Costa-Gage GI Joe stuff collected? I know IDW makes HC for their own recent stuff, but how can I find those runs?

Hama's Marvel series is collected in thick Classic G.I. Joe TPBs by IDW, with about ten issues in each, and there are 15 in all. I understand that some of them are out of print and hard to find, so I was surprised my local shop had most of them, minus volumes 2-5 or something like that.

Starting just over a decade ago, Hama continued his series with IDW, picking up exactly where it left off. Those are collected in thinner TPBs with about four or five issues in each, starting with Volume 1, even though the issue numbering continued from Marvel (so #156 and onward). Those TPBs are up to Volume 25 or so. Hama's writing hasn't changed a bit, for better and for worse.

The rest of IDW's different G.I. Joe series were titled and collected in very confusing ways. There was a Cobra #1-4 miniseries (written by Gage and Costa), followed by a Cobra II #1-4 miniseries that I think turned into a regular series. This is a whole different continuity than the Hama stuff. It is a darker, more modernized, more "realistic" continuity, like an Ultimate take on G.I. Joe and Cobra, if that makes sense. It has nothing to do with Hama's run and doesn't reference it at all. The Cobra series ran concurrently to a G.I. Joe series written at least in part by Chuck Dixon, as well as a Snake Eyes series. The Dixon G.I. Joe, Gage-Costa Cobra, and Snake Eyes series had some crossovers -- Cobra Civil War and Cobra Command, and I think those were collected in separate TPBs.

But the Costa-Gage epic that I'm always recommending is Cobra: The Last Laugh, which was collected in an oversized hardcover, with a long overdue TPB scheduled for late June. After that, I only recently learned Costa's epic continued. The next TPB volume collecting his Cobra series is called G.I. Joe: Cobra: Son of the Snake (I bought it yesterday), then there is a volume called G.I. Joe: Cobra: Oktober Guard (I didn't buy this one yesterday), and then that series ended but was continued into a nine-issue series called G.I. Joe: The Cobra Files, which got collected in two TPBs (I bought both of those yesterday).

If you have Comixology Unlimited, almost all the IDW G.I. Joe (and Transformers) comics are available on there, for $5.99 a month. That's a hell of a deal just for that content, and it would at least show you some semblance of the reading order and be a lot cheaper than tracking down all those collected editions. But I've read most of the Hama comics -- I used to own the entire Marvel run and foolishly sold them to pay for school about 20 years ago, and then read the most recent IDW material over the past two years. And Last Laugh is just mind-blowingly good, so I had to buy the volumes that follow it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 2, 2021

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Any omnibus with knuckle tats Kitty Pryde is a hard pass for me so I’m more than happy with just the HiXmen issues.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice; I’ll be getting Last Laugh on TPB later this year. Sadly GI Joe stuff is not available on Comixology in my country for some reason. I think I’ll try with a VPN

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Nyeehg posted:

I think I was just feeling pessimistic and jumped to the conclusion that this Hickman omni means we won't get a dawn of x omni.

Now that I've had a good sleep it makes more sense that Marvel would do a dawn of x omni later andhope to get some people to double dip.

The Dawn of X omnibus(s) would be like printing gold. Collectors would have to finish what looks like a minimum of three omnibus and the slow delay is forcing people that want to read their X of Swords omnibus to wait, or pick up the TBPs.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
how do people read their omnibuses? they're too heavy for me to read held above my face in bed and I'm debating buying a stand just so i can set them down on a table and read them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Usually in bed or on the couch, sitting cross legged, with the book on a pillow on my legs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've long hated omnis. Between them being too heavy to read and top heavy to hold themselves together it's just a bad design.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

obi_ant posted:

The Dawn of X omnibus(s) would be like printing gold. Collectors would have to finish what looks like a minimum of three omnibus and the slow delay is forcing people that want to read their X of Swords omnibus to wait, or pick up the TBPs.

Yeah, I was tempted to get Dawn trades until they announced Marauders and Excaliber 12 issues, but then the Hickman is coming in December with no New Mutants/X-Force announcement so god knows.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cloks posted:

how do people read their omnibuses? they're too heavy for me to read held above my face in bed and I'm debating buying a stand just so i can set them down on a table and read them

I lay in bed with the omni resting on the pillow, personally. So the opposite of what you're doing, I guess! (At least, that's what I did with my 3kg Before Watchmen one. That's the heaviest I've got)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

You guys read your omnibi??