Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have them drop-shipped to CGC and slabbed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Do you buy a reading copy and a CGC copy?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

I've long hated omnis. Between them being too heavy to read and top heavy to hold themselves together it's just a bad design.

I got one omnibus, the Fourth World one, and I love having it and all of that, but actually reading it is a pain. I don't intend to get more of them for that reason. There are smaller omnibuses, I am kinda curious about how well those read.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've long hated omnis. Between them being too heavy to read and top heavy to hold themselves together it's just a bad design.

Same. I'm all about the trade paperback lifestyle.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Finally got my hands on the X of Swords hardcover today. :woop: Navigating Marvel's miniscule EU print runs without giving money to Amazon/Book Depository has been a nightmare. I feel like I've said it many times already, but I hope they get this thing sorted out soon.

re: Omnibuses, I am not a fan of them either. Hardcovers are my favourite reading format since I don't have to worry about damaging the spine as much as I would with a paperback. 1000+ page omnibuses are a nuisance, though. If I could read Uncanny X-Men in OHC format, I would snap them up in an instant. Omnibuses are simply too big and cumbersome, and they tend to lose a lot of art in the gutter because the spine is so wide. I've never read one of DC's famed 1500+ page omnibuses but they look genuinely unreadable.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Navigating Marvel's miniscule EU print runs without giving money to Amazon/Book Depository has been a nightmare.

Ah dammit, I didn't even realise BD had changed hands until I looked it up after reading your post! 2011 practically seems like yesterday.

Eurgh, now I'm gonna have to actually look around more thoroughly for equivalent-priced deals, instead of defaulting to BD. :(

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

A new printing of the Wolverine and the X-Men omnibus is up for preorder on Amazon.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I knew I should have sold mine.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.
Can anyone help me understand what I should be ordering for Black Hammer? I've been living out of country (in Laos, local shop is in Seattle USA) since Covid began and I've been doing everything remotely through the comic shop I used to work for with a family member doing the pick-ups for me.

I own Black Hammer Volume 1 and 2 of the Library Edition HC, and I own Black Hammer Justice League Hammer of Justice Hardcover.

In theory I should have World of Black Hammer Volume 1 and Volume 2 Library Edition HC through my old shop. And I think I have a preorder in for Volume 3.

Should I also put a preorder in for BLACK HAMMER VISIONS HC VOL 01? Or is this likely to be combined in future Library Edition?

Where does BLACK HAMMER STREETS OF SPIRAL TP fit in? Will this be in a future HC/Library edition?

Trying to keep the collection as similar as possible in matching bindings/printings. I love how they did the Library Edition of V1, I've actually never held or seen any of the other books since I've been out of country for so long. So in general, I'd like to eventually own all of Black Hammer in Library Edition or similar HC printings.

Hobo Grandpa fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 18, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Hobo Grandpa posted:

Can anyone help me understand what I should be ordering for Black Hammer? I've been living out of country (in Laos, local shop is in Seattle USA) since Covid began and I've been doing everything remotely through the comic shop I used to work for with a family member doing the pick-ups for me.

I own Black Hammer Volume 1 and 2 of the Library Edition HC, and I own Black Hammer Justice League Hammer of Justice Hardcover.

In theory I should have World of Black Hammer Volume 1 and Volume 2 Library Edition HC through my old shop. And I think I have a preorder in for Volume 3.

Should I also put a preorder in for BLACK HAMMER VISIONS HC VOL 01? Or is this likely to be combined in future Library Edition?

Where does BLACK HAMMER STREETS OF SPIRAL TP fit in? Will this be in a future HC/Library edition?

Trying to keep the collection as similar as possible in matching bindings/printings. I love how they did the Library Edition of V1, I've actually never held or seen any of the other books since I've been out of country for so long. So in general, I'd like to eventually own all of Black Hammer in Library Edition or similar HC printings.

You're going to end up taking a risk either way, I'm afraid. There's no guarantee that Visions will be collected in a future library edition, since it doesn't really in with either the World of Black Hammer or proper Black Hammer library editions. So either you buy the Visions HC now and end up double dipping when it's featured in a library edition, or a library edition never ends up coming out and Visions goes out of print before you get a chance to buy it.

Streets of Spiral will most likely end up being in Black Hammer Library Edition 3 if they do end up making one of those.

Hobo Grandpa
Aug 22, 2014

"Trigger" is my trigger word.

JordanKai posted:

You're going to end up taking a risk either way, I'm afraid. There's no guarantee that Visions will be collected in a future library edition, since it doesn't really in with either the World of Black Hammer or proper Black Hammer library editions. So either you buy the Visions HC now and end up double dipping when it's featured in a library edition, or a library edition never ends up coming out and Visions goes out of print before you get a chance to buy it.

Yeah that's how I felt when I ordered the Black Hammer Justice League crossover. It's a weird outlier. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Library Edition of the weird outlier books. But I'd also not be surprised to not see one.

Either way, that's helpful, I appreciate the reply. I'll bite the bullet and just grab anything they make in any HC and as you said, may end up double dipping if they do eventually make another Library Edition.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

JordanKai posted:

Finally got my hands on the X of Swords hardcover today. :woop: Navigating Marvel's miniscule EU print runs without giving money to Amazon/Book Depository has been a nightmare. I feel like I've said it many times already, but I hope they get this thing sorted out soon.

Where do you buy? I tend to prefer readin comics in english and it's almost imposible to buy them here (spanish speaking country) without ordering from the Piss Bottle company.

Edit: Omnibuses. They are not my first pick, but sometimes it's the only way you can read stuff. Like with the 4th world stuff, unless I paid like 200 bucks for the second volume of the TPB runs from '07.

Vincent fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 26, 2021

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just found out about (and ordered) X-Statix Complete Collection Vol 1. After missing out on that first enormous omnibus I gave up, so it's nice knowing one of my favorite series will finally be sitting on my shelf. It does seem odd that Vol 2 will end at issue 20 instead of 26. Maybe they're going to try stretching it out into a third volume with Dead Girl, All New Doop, and Giant-Size X-Statix.

A few months ago I picked up volume 1 and 3 of the Image Madman TPBs, not realizing volume 2 is apparently impossible to find and super expensive. Doesn't feel great!

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

I just found out about (and ordered) X-Statix Complete Collection Vol 1. After missing out on that first enormous omnibus I gave up, so it's nice knowing one of my favorite series will finally be sitting on my shelf. It does seem odd that Vol 2 will end at issue 20 instead of 26. Maybe they're going to try stretching it out into a third volume with Dead Girl, All New Doop, and Giant-Size X-Statix.

A few months ago I picked up volume 1 and 3 of the Image Madman TPBs, not realizing volume 2 is apparently impossible to find and super expensive. Doesn't feel great!

So I guess it's too little too late to say that I have an X-Statix Omni I'm about to try and sell?

I really need to finish the sell list and get it posted to SA-Mart.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Napoleon Nelson posted:

So I guess it's too little too late to say that I have an X-Statix Omni I'm about to try and sell?

I really need to finish the sell list and get it posted to SA-Mart.

I also have one I wanna get rid of, lol!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah, it's unreadable because of its size. I own it and might get the paperback collections.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Tracking down Invincible Vol 7 Hardcover has been a pain in the butt. Bought one the other day from an ebay seller that claimed to have 5 but that order was canceled because it was "out of stock."

I look at listings today and see a seller with "more than 10" but the condition is unlisted. Mmhmm.... I'm sure they do.

I don't mind having a single volume missing but it'd be nice to grab that last one without paying too much for it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

Tracking down Invincible Vol 7 Hardcover has been a pain in the butt. Bought one the other day from an ebay seller that claimed to have 5 but that order was canceled because it was "out of stock."

I look at listings today and see a seller with "more than 10" but the condition is unlisted. Mmhmm.... I'm sure they do.

I don't mind having a single volume missing but it'd be nice to grab that last one without paying too much for it.

If you want, I'll call around. I'm surrounded by good comic shops, and I hardly ever have anything to buy from any of them. I also get obsessive-compulsive about completing runs and sets and having everything match, so I get it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Jolo posted:

https://organicpricedbooks.com/products/invincible-hc-vol-07-ultimate-coll?_pos=8&_sid=0b9c04605&_ss=r

Two weeks out.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Invincible, has anyone got experience with the oversized compendiums? I don't have an issue with big books (pretty sure some of my Omni's are bigger) but the fact that it's paperback makes me worry about how well the spine will hold up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The walking dead compendium have notoriously lovely binding. I'd say a solid half of the copies we stocked arrived damaged back in my shop days.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Compendiums are generally huge and paperback. And I'd never buy a paperback with a huge binding like that because I imagine it'd be a nightmare to read and even a great binding probably is headed for disaster on something that big.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Compendiums are generally huge and paperback. And I'd never buy a paperback with a huge binding like that because I imagine it'd be a nightmare to read and even a great binding probably is headed for disaster on something that big.

Rhyno posted:

The walking dead compendium have notoriously lovely binding. I'd say a solid half of the copies we stocked arrived damaged back in my shop days.

Yeah this is what I was afraid of. drat.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would just look into getting the ultimate collection hardcovers. I bought the first few but never finished the series the first time around but I still plan to eventually and I finished up getting the rest last year. They're very well made. My first volume is even signed by Kirkman/Ottley and has an Ottley sketch on the inside cover which is a nice plus.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

If you want, I'll call around. I'm surrounded by good comic shops, and I hardly ever have anything to buy from any of them. I also get obsessive-compulsive about completing runs and sets and having everything match, so I get it.

That is super generous. I'm still kinda operating with reclusive covid brain and haven't checked with any local shops. Let me check around to the handful here to see if I can keep a few bucks in the community. If not I may take you up on it.

Thanks for this. I'm skeptical of anyone selling this at a discount, have you ordered from them before? I clicked the FAQ but I don't see what "FOC" stands for either.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Not sure in that case, but FOC = final order cutoff, aka the last day a retailer can place their order.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jolo posted:

That is super generous. I'm still kinda operating with reclusive covid brain and haven't checked with any local shops. Let me check around to the handful here to see if I can keep a few bucks in the community. If not I may take you up on it.

Thanks for this. I'm skeptical of anyone selling this at a discount, have you ordered from them before? I clicked the FAQ but I don't see what "FOC" stands for either.

It's a new company, and supposed to be very good. It is small, but setting itself up to compete with InStockTrades, discounts and all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Good because IST and DCBS customer service is fuckin awful. Hopefully they get their poo poo sorted out once they move into the new facility and hire some goddamned staff.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I would just look into getting the ultimate collection hardcovers. I bought the first few but never finished the series the first time around but I still plan to eventually and I finished up getting the rest last year. They're very well made. My first volume is even signed by Kirkman/Ottley and has an Ottley sketch on the inside cover which is a nice plus.

Yeah that's probably the route I'm gonna take. Looks like some books are out of print, though i think there's reprints coming if Amazon is to be believed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Jolo posted:

I’ve ordered 6 books from them when IST was being lovely. They are legit. It’s a one dude operation, he has a video answering lots of questions since he’s new.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Nyeehg posted:

Speaking of Invincible, has anyone got experience with the oversized compendiums? I don't have an issue with big books (pretty sure some of my Omni's are bigger) but the fact that it's paperback makes me worry about how well the spine will hold up.

There was a discussion of these a few days ago on a different forum I occasionally read. The consensus seemed to be that the newer DC ones are good quality and the bad rep a result of the lovely quality of the Image ones from a few years ago. Discussion starts towards the bottom of this page:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marvelmasterworksfansite/upcoming-dc-collections-t27743-s13160.html

There was even a picture of a compendium that someone had custom bound, which looked kind of awesome.

Personally I've got the first Fables one, but I haven't started reading it so I can't comment on how it holds up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Has Marvel stopped releasing Squirrel Girl hardbacks? And why is vol. 11 of the paperbacks out of print?

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Has Marvel stopped releasing Squirrel Girl hardbacks? And why is vol. 11 of the paperbacks out of print?

Yeah seemingly. Right up to the Derek Charm era starting.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

If there's one thing you can count on it is Marvel starting and then cancelling a line of hardcovers or omnibuses. They've gotten better about it than they used to be, at least.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

If there's one thing you can count on it is Marvel starting and then cancelling a line of hardcovers or omnibuses. They've gotten better about it than they used to be, at least.

I can't speak for HCs (although I can't think of any examples) but I'm drawing a blank on cancelled Marvel omni runs. DC is the one that was a giant risk but seems better now - my Unwritten HC stands alone.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 5, 2021

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I know that I was buying the Tom King Batman hardcovers only for vol 5 to seemingly have a small print run and being sold for twice it's cover price and no vol 6 on the horizon.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Zachack posted:

I can't speak for HCs (although I can't think of any examples) but I'm drawing a blank on cancelled Marvel omni runs. DC is the one that was a giant risk but seems better now - my Unwritten HC stands alone.

Ultimate Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel are the two that immediately come to mind. You're not wrong in saying that DC is worse about it, though.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

JordanKai posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel are the two that immediately come to mind. You're not wrong in saying that DC is worse about it, though.

Dunno about Ms. Marvel (do the hcs stop before Wilson’s run ends?) but I have all of USM in HC and Omni, the latter being just Death and Miles.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

I know that I was buying the Tom King Batman hardcovers only for vol 5 to seemingly have a small print run and being sold for twice it's cover price and no vol 6 on the horizon.

Oh hey me too. I guess we're buying the inevitable omnibus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Ms Marvel got the full run in OSHC.

Listings for the Hickman FF Vol 2 and Aaron Dr Strange run are up on Amazon.