Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
This is probably considered off-topic but I'm gonna ask here anyway: I need shelf buying advice.

I want to avoid the flimsy $100 pressboard shelves you see at Walmart. I browsed through an office supply company's online store and while some of their shelves seem quite sturdy, they also fly past $300+ very quickly. My question, I suppose, is how much is too much for a sturdy 6ft tall shelf? At what point am I just paying a markup for expensive wood and finishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Thanks for the tips, fellas. As long as they're tall to hold an Absolute, the Expedit shelves seem to be the way to go. Now to decide between the 2x4 or whether I have enough books to justify the 4x4...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I've read a few reviews of IDW's TMNT Ultimate Collection vol. 1 that mention some low-res, pixelated panels, as well as some dodgy new lettering. Can anyone confirm/deny?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
As a DC fan, is my life complete without owning Paul Levitz's 75 Years of DC Comics tome? From what I've seen it's a glorified artbook, but still worth the purchase?

I have to wonder where the hell I would store it, I don't have any shelves that sturdy...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Anyone have any theories as to why Marvel published the "Death of Spider-Man Prelude" TPB with two covers?

I bought it when it first came out, it looked like this:

But subsequent printings have this cover:

I don't really mind either way, it just seems odd.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Visited the LCS in my folks' hometown (The Comic Hunter in Moncton, NB) and am struggling to not buy everything in the goddamn store. Tons of hard to find books.
Bought a bunch of out-of-print Astro City trades (the one-per-year schedule of the new editions is too slow for me).
Am fighting the urge to go back tomorrow and buy all the TPBs of Sandman Mystery Theatre. My wallet is bleeding. Help me.

:negative:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
So, Animal Man Vol. 1 (New 52) just came out, TPB-only.
Has DC ever done this? Gone straight to the paperback instead of having to wait an extra 5 months after the hardcover?
And why the hell aren't they doing it for all their new books?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I've got a pretty modest collection compared to some of you guys...

TPB side of my 4x4 Expedit. Best shelf I've ever owned.
I put my heavier hardcovers on the bottom row just to be safe...

Tip: if you're considering the larger 5x5 Expedit, keep in mind it should be bracketed to wall studs to prevent tipping. I nearly bought one but the only wall in my room where it could have gone didn't have properly spaced studs. The 4x4 was just enough (with some double-stacking) to hold every book I own.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
How's the binding on the Nausicaa hardcovers? Viz isn't exactly known for doing big HCs like that, so I'm a bit worried...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex

Lord Krangdar posted:

According to the Humanoid website a limited edition oversized hardcover is being released in January, but it only collects the first volume of the story. The last reprinting of the entire thing was May 2012.

Also looks like The Technopriests is being rereleased as an omnnibus, I'll have to check that out.

To be honest, the OOP HC of The Incal is too small to do justice to Moebius' art. Plus it seems like it was lettered at a higher res then shrunk, the lettering is microscopic. An oversized version would be much more readable.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I think the only book that can compare is

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Here's the original April Fool's Day link:

Spawn Infernal Edition

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Has the TPB for Avengers vs X-Men been solicited yet? Amazon mistakenly links to the TPB of "AvX: Vs" instead. (god, what stupid titles)

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I got the Silver Surfer: Parable HC primarily for Moebius' story, and never paid much attention to Keith Pollard's Enslavers story. I thought it was almost insulting to Moebius to graft such a mediocre comic to the back of his book.
Upon further research, there were a few other Silver Surfer OGNs back in the day, like The Ultimate Cosmic Experience from Lee/Kirby, and Judgment Day from Lee/Buscema.

Both of those stories would have made much better accompaniment to Parable than The Enslavers, IMO... which brings me to my point, have either of those OGNs been collected? If not, how hard are they to find used?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Jerry Ordway's Power of Shazam! series from the '90s has never been collected, has it?
I'm tempted to hit the back issue longboxes and find a run to bind, but if Mike Grell's Green Arrow run can finally get a TPB, maybe there's hope...

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
I'm looking to fill the holes in my Astro City TPB collection. From the looks of it DC's been reprinting the older trades, but seems to have skipped Vol. 4: Tarnished Angel?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Ugh I should have bought all of the Starman hardcovers a few years ago when they were aplenty. Now with the paperbacks cancelled I won't be able to get the whole series without spending way more than planned.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
For Xmas, I'm planning to get my "Creepshow"-loving fiancee one of the EC horror Archives. I thought to start with Tales from the Crypt Vol. 1, but since it's an anthology series I'm not sure if the first stories are the strongest. Are any of the three "main" EC horror series volumes particularly acclaimed? Or is the quality pretty equal among them all?

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Just checking in - any chance that Kirby & Lee's 1978 "Silver Surfer Graphic Novel: The Ultimate Cosmic Experience" will get reprinted anytime soon?

I heard that the rights were held up, but ffs Marvel's got Disney money now.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Do the Marvel Epic Collections get reprinted? I was going to buy volume 1 of Spider-Man but it's sold out almost everywhere. I know it came out in '14 but you'd think they'd keep these books in print.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Couple of questions for you fine folks -

1. Are there any (available) TPBs of Neal Adams' Batman comics that aren't digitally re-coloured?

2. I saw the new Caped Crusader/Dark Knight Detective TPBs of the post-Crisis Batman comics... really cool stuff... but has much of the 80's pre-Crisis stuff been reprinted? Are those comics even worth reading?

3. Is anyone else racked with anxiety that DC/Marvel's parent corporations will suddenly decide that reprinting comics isn't worth the trouble and will just stop? The writing is on the wall for Blu-ray... I'm just waiting for the hammer to fall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
There's a placeholder for a new printing of Absolute Dark Knight on Amazon.ca (release date: 2080), but I can't find any evidence that it's coming anywhere else. Anyone heard anything? I foolishly didn't pick it up a few years ago. (although man, I wish they didn't include Strikes Again...)

edit: upon further digging, apparently there was a HC edition published under the DC Modern Classics banner which was supposed to come out last summer, but I can't find any evidence that it actually was released?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/12/04/dc-comics-publish-dark-knight-returns-in-three-different-ways-in-2019/

Hatter106 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 3, 2019