Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Let's talk hardcovers...and trade paperbacks, Absolute Editions, Library Editions, Ultimate Collections, Premieres, Deluxes, Masterworks, Archives, Essentials, Showcases, Omnibuses, Compendiums, Gargantuas, Whole-Shebangs, Custom Binds, and anything else with two covers and a bunch of comics in-between.

There's a lot of books out there (I mean seriously, you have no idea how mind-bogglingly many books there are out there. I mean, you look at your walls and go "Hmm, that's a fair 'mount!" but then Glenn Danzig posts some pics, and well, now you're a sorry sausage) and there are a lot of versions of the same collected material because moneymoneymoney, so it can get confusing. Here are a few helpful resources:

Collected Editions: often updated with reviews of new trades/hardcovers, and has a pretty extensive review archive. New solicitations are posted here as well.

Collected Edition Release Schedule: Kept up to date (kinda sorta), so you'll never miss the newest Bomb Queen trade.

ComicbookDB: Want to know, for example, what issues the trade of Batman R.I.P. collects? Easy cheesey. Or likewise, look up an issue and see what books include it.

:slick: TERMINOLOGY BREAKDOWN :slick:
Each publisher likes to use their own special made-up terms for their collected editions, so there's a lot of marketing-speak to wade though.

:flashfap: DC:
• Absolutes: Those gigantic slipcovered beasts that weigh 5 pounds, and are a good 13" high. You want to see every character that George Perez drew, here's the way to do it. They can get pricey, and you're probably not going to take them down off your shelf anyway.

• Deluxe Hardcovers: DC's standard oversized hardcover, usually released a good 6 months after the last single issue contained within, and god knows when the paperback version will follow. Sometimes, DC puts a lot of love into them, with special gold or silver foil stampings on the front and ooh, how pretty! Sometimes, they release the Batman and Robin volumes.

• Archives: Beautiful HC reproductions of DC's Golden and Silver Age comics. There are a lot of them, and pricey, so don't go nuts trying to buy them all. If you do, toss a Batman volume my way.

• DC Omnibus: So far, a pretty random grab-bag of reprints. A lot of Jack Kirby, to be sure. And Starman! Why not! Unlike Marvel's Omniboo, these are not oversized, because DC hates you. Unless they are! I know the Green Lantern Omnibus is printed larger than the GL Archives, but if you want more accurate information, you'll just have to ask, mister.
*direct link to someone who knows a lot more about these than I do*

• Showcases (aka Showcase Presents): Thick, cheap, black-and-white reprints of older material, and DC's version of Marvel's Essential volumes. Each book includes over 500 pages of reprints, primarily from the Silver Age, but there is some slightly more modern fare represented (Ambush Bug, Booster Gold).

:spidey: MARVEL:
• Premiere Hardcovers: Same size and contents as a standard trade paperback; these often arrive very shortly after the arc finishes its initial run, and trade versions will generally come out about 6 months or so after the HC drops (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• Oversized, or Super-Sized Hardcovers: Same height as DC's Deluxes, but often collect more issues (but definitely not always). These are pretty fantastic, and hit that sweet spot of size, price, and usability. Marvel OSHCs are my favorite types of books out of all of these.

• Marvel Omnibus: Break-your-wrists thick, oversized, will often collect 30+ issues. Actually says OMNIBUS on the spine. That's bonafide!

• Essentials: 500+ black and white pages, phone-book sized, cheap, and often focus on a certain character or team. Perfect for taking a million issues of The Punisher with you on long bus rides.

• Masterworks: The high-quality HC (and later paperback) reproductions of classic Atlas/Golden/Silver Age Marvel. Here's the full list.

• Ultimate Collections: Thicker paperbacks that generally collect longer runs--each book often contains the same amount as 2-3 standard trade paperbacks, and are a great alternative to tracking down OOP Omnibuses (see: Alias, New X-Men, Daredevil). I wish DC did more stuff like this, as they'd be perfect for Hitman or Suicide Squad but nooOOOoooo they have to release those in tiny chunks :(

:wotwot: Custom Binding
You have maybe also seen talk about taking those piles of old comics you never take out of your longboxes and smashing them together Big Barda-style to create your own custom Hardcover binds. Many times this is done to collect stuff that's not going to be collected otherwise, due to licensing or lack of overall market interest. It's also done to create better versions of books the publishers actually did put out (I'm looking at you, DC One Million). Or maybe you don't feel like re-buying the same material twice. There's a bunch of reasons. This seems to have taken off in the last few years, and there are a few resources out there to help you get started.

First off, there are two forums purely dedicated to this mad hobby, here and here. This page in particular will probably answer most of one's initial questions about what the hell custom binding is all about and how to get started. It really just boils down to prepping your comics for binding (ripping out double-sided ads & back covers mostly; don't worry, your comics aren't worth anything anyway!), sending what you want bound to a reputable bindery, waiting a few weeks, and then receiving a brand-spanking-new hardcover of your very own, personalized to your specifications. Please feel free to ask away though, there's a few of us who will be able to help you bring those back issues back to life! Once you get into it, you may find it really hard to stop:

2012 UPDATE: :ocelot:
jimcunningham has started up a separate binding thread here.

:20bux: Retail Bits
If you're looking to buy/sell/trade books from/to/with your fellow goons, hit up this thread over in SA-Mart.

Amazon is easily one of the best places to go to buy books for low, low prices (often ~40% MSRP). Any order over $25 gets you free shipping as well, so go ahead and pick up that copy of Chew Vol. 1, future-starter! An Amazon Prime membership nets you unlimited free 2-day shipping with no minimum order size, so if you buy a lot, it might be worth it! I've not used DCBS myself, but I know a lot of people here use it all the time.

If you do have old trades, and can't get rid of them, and they're not full of Lingerie Specials (you creep), think about donating them to your local library! Get your hometown kids hooked on X-Men, not Ecstasy!

:h::h: In Summary
Feel free to post pics of your libraries, sagging shelves and weekend hauls, ask questions about replacement shelving because your last one cracked under the weight of 12 Marvel Omniboo and crushed your cat, inquire where you can get a new cat, post deals and steals, share your Amazon fishes (see below on how to do this), and ask away about whether anyone thinks it's weird that you mix your DC and Marvel books together. It is.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 3, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Nice OP :)

One thing I feel is worth mentioning, the best places to buy trades/hard covers are usually either Amazon or DCBS. Their prices are typically way better than Barnes and Noble or other places, and if you get stuff on Amazon you can get free shipping with Amazon Prime
Good idea. I've added some additional info.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

wildlele posted:

Great OP! Maybe bold DC/Marvel and put a bold binding title?

How about including a blurb on Omnis by DC (though it is super confusing) ala Jack Kirby/Starman type omni vs. GL/NTT Omnis?

Masterworks also includes Golden age and soon if not already Bronze age.

Also DC has the Showcase line ala Marvel Essentials.
Thanks. I've made some further revisions. If anyone sees anything else that's blatantly wrong or should be in the OP, please let me know.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 30, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

Maybe something list this for the DC Omnibus Info:
Fantastic. That's a lot of info for the OP, so I just added a direct link to that post.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 30, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

enigmahfc posted:

I figured this is the best place to ask - Is the new Hardcover for Snyder's run on Detective his full run on the title? It says it's 288 pages, if that helps. I just wanted to be sure before I preordered that sucker.

It's this one, by the way.
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Black-Mirror-Scott-Snyder/dp/140123206X/
I just noticed that the page count has since increased to 304 pages--so uh, that's pretty awesome.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

Then, with respect, go to the Masterworks messageboard. They already know everything there is to know about binding over there. and seriously, people posting book maps is the most boring poo poo ever.
That is why I linked those two other forums in the OP. I honestly don't expect people to do any real map listing here, and those other forums are honestly much better suited for it. However, if anyone has questions about the process as a whole or anything, or wants to share photos of books they've created, they are free to.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, I was completely unaware that the Waid/Wieringo run on Fantastic Four had been collected in OSHC until I saw the first volume at a used book store this afternoon. Picked it up for a steal, and now it's on to grabbing the other volumes!

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

So does is the later volumes going to include the stuff that wasn't released in tpbs?
We'll find out together!

edit: I wonder how they would handle that, as the 3 issues before the final Brubaker issue are War Games crossovers--are they standalone enough?

War Games! :argh:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 13, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

So assuming I want to own the "good" Power Girl comics (Amanda Conner) are there only two collections?
This one and this one?
Those are all the Amanda Conner issues (all written by Palmiotti and Gray), yes. Grab Terra while you're at it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Are the two Marvel Strange Tales hardcovers oversized, or regular sized?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JackDarko posted:

I'm really hoping that the hundred bullets hardcovers have nice paper. Like the Fables hardcovers, and not like the Y the last man, and Preacher ones. Wishful thinking on my part?
I like the YTLM paper stock. It's not glossy, but there's weight and durability to it, and it's miles above what the hardcover Swamp Things get.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I haven't read Flashpoint, but I assumed Booster Gold was a key book during that time.
It wasn't.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Uber Kosh posted:

wildlele and anyone else here than does custome binding, I've got a quick question for you: What's the maximum number of issues you'd put into a single volume?
I'd imagine 20-something is a pretty common upper limit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

I want to get a few comics bound but I've run into a few snags. Chiefly, I am an idiot and can't figure heads or tails of how to place an order. Any protips or sweet guides on how to do this?
If anybody is curious I'm making my first bind job Grant Morrison's Batman And Robin run and if that goes well I'll continue binding.
Fake edit: I forgot to mention I have a custom cover in mind
You have to pick a bindery first (like Single Bound Studios or Herring & Robinson), and then fill out their forms to your specifications. I have links in the OP to forums where you can get a wealth of information.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ominous Jazz posted:

I looked in the OP first but I still couldn't figure it out (this goes back to that whole idiot thing). I had a website but I'm on my mobile right now.
Well, um, have you actually decided who you want to use yet? That's kind of important.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Someone fill me in on why Crossing is so terrible--I've never even heard of it until now.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
I'd been putting off on buying the old trades just in case of hardcover upgrades, but there's no way I'm buying that.

edit: 1536 pages? Christ, the Spider-Man Omnibus is only 1088, and that thing could take a small child in a fistfight.

My dainty wrists!
:negative:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 22, 2011

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Romav posted:

Just got my copy of Batman: Black Mirror HC. Wow this book is thick. About as thick (if not thicker) as Batman: Hush. Hope it's as good as I've heard.
Any cool foil embossing on the actual book cover?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

I think I'll pass. It's nice that they're releasing it but I'll stick with the three existing Deluxe HCs. It also seems a little bit incomplete for not having Return of Bruce Wayne in there too.
You just like, read my mind whooaaaaaaaa. Too big, and too incomplete.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
We need some more shelf shots 'round these parts.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

krut posted:

So they shipped your order before you even ordered it?
THAT is customer service.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Nodoze posted:

Now that leviathan strikes came out, I can start my Batgirl custom bind.

I think this is the order I'm going with. I sorted it out a few months ago while waiting for Inc #9.

I need to figure out the options I want. The book color will be purple, and gold or yellow for the lettering. I kind of want to do a die-stamped bat symbol but the SBS premium bind is a lot more money and the turnaround is a lot slower
That's basically what I'm doing, but moving WF up to between 4 and 5 (5 begins a new arc). I'm also not including RR9 as it's just Tim dicking around with Connor. Specifics and a full thread of info here. I'll be going with H&R's eggplant Arrestox and yellow foil, and it will be lovely.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
For those who have bought the We3 Deluxe Edition, what kind of stuff do the 10 new story pages cover?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Hit up a local used book store during my lunch break and found a Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom: Triumph and Torment hardcover for six measly dollars. :feelsgood:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

If I were to pay fifty bucks for a volume of New X-Men I wouldn't only take it for granted that it was new but for that price I would also expect a signed nude photo of Grant Morrison to be included in the price because that's a huge amount of money to spend on one hardback.
I paid close to 60 for the HC of New X-Men Vol. 3, and don't regret it for a second--that's cheap for that one.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 12, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Kunzelman posted:

Wait, so the whole volume is black and white?
Correct.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JackDarko posted:

Absolute, just like the Batman and Robin one.
Can you link this one? I don't see it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Because there isn't one. There's OSHCs but not Absolutes.
Right--I thought that a recent solicit had gone through that I had missed.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Slayer1597 posted:

I would like to know what is up with these : http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Batman-Knightfall-Vol-1-Various/9781401233792-item.html?ikwid=knightfall&ikwsec=Home

Both Vol.1 and Vol.2

I already own Knightfall:Broken Bat and Knightfall:Who Owns the Night, and Knightend is on the way in the mail, but is are these 2 volumes Knightquest? or is it something else?
Didn't I already answer all that in another thread?

And stop saying Knightend!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 22, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

An awesome (and much overlooked) little run from Barr and Davis, very highly recommended but it's maybe a little slim for the price point. Whatever, I'll be buying it.
Well drat, I was planning on doing that one myself since those comics are so drat good and I got tired of waiting on DC to get around to it. Mandatory Bat-reading right there, folks.

CBR's in-depth look at 'em

redbackground fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 31, 2012

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Takei is Okay posted:

Uh oh. No WILDCATS/ALIENS?
That threw me as well. That's uh, kind of necessary. I'm hoping it's just a sloppy solicit.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Danzig posted:

I almost hope it does not get cleared. What a stupid move putting this run in 2 standard hardcovers. loving DC, TAKE MY MONEY!
Is the problem that they're not oversized?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shameless posted:

I know a bit bit of a petty old man when it comes to these sort of things but DC really know how to piss me off. Two trades, released on the same day: Catwoman has the covers in all the right places, Resurrection Man? Covers all bunched together at the back.

Dicks.
:rant::hf::reject: Nothing bugs me more (collected editions-wise) than when the covers aren't placed before each issue. Luckily, it's much more rare now then it used to be.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

DC used to be bastards about that. All the covers would be reprinted like 6 to a page at the back of the book.
Or just not at all (hello, Knightsaga!).

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jeremys Iron posted:

Awesome news - I also appreciate how much cheaper and yet still very nice the Hellboy Library books are compared to omnibuses.
The price points for these really are amazing.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Starsnostars posted:

1, 3, 4 and 5 were all fun, I think that it was only 2 that was really bad and not worth reading. I don't know how much this omnibus will contain though, I'm assuming those five numbered ones and not stuff like zombie christmas carol or whatever it was that came out recently.
3 is by far the best, and 4 is a great follow-up. 5 ended with one of the worst issues of the entire Zomies series, and overall, was nowhere as good as "Machine Man and Howard the Duck conduct Zombie Science!" might lead you to believe.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

wildlele posted:

Why did I bind Vengeance of Bane sigh.... $338

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-1st-Ap...=item2319d76291

I have a few more copies but that hurts!
Rare? Really? I picked those both up for less than $3.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

It exists and it hits retail tomorrow. I can't wait til tomorrow afternoon so I can take my copy home with me.
DC didn't gently caress up the color or anything, did they?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Saw this on CBR:
I knew they were "upgrading" the coloring of the Flex HC a little bit, but I had no idea it was this drastic:

Original on the left, 2012 version on the right.

Goddammit, DC.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

d00gZ posted:

I'm pretty sure Morrison and Quitely have both praised the recolor.

Yeah, Doherty says he did it "in close collaboration" with Frank Quitely. http://notaproperperson.blogspot.ca/

Well, Neil G. praised the Sandman re-colorings, and those were an abomination (Gradients! Gradients everywhere!).

The quality of the recolored FM looks better, but I honestly prefer the original color choices. I was just surprised how far the recoloring went. I'll just pick the book up used, instead.