Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.
UK specific info: http://www.hollingworthmoss.co.uk/ are the best binders I've used so far, but far pricier than their US equivalents (just over £30 a book). Amazon & Forbidden Planet International are the two best online retailers, and really only use the latter when they do their 40% discounts. If you're a UK comic fan and don't read something from 2000AD, you're basically making GBS threads on the queen, so start buying those Judge Dredd phonebooks. And arrange your comics alphabetically by Author or Artist - character worship is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I really like David Yurkovich's comics. Death By Chocolate: Redux collects his three one-shots about an FBI agent made of living chocolate, working for the Food Crimes Division,

This has to cross-over with Chew.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Does anyone know if this is the follow-up to the Great Darkness Saga HC that came out last year?
Edit: AND is the Annhilators HC (this, unless I'm mistaken) an OSHC or just a premier hardcover?

Fight My Dad! fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 14, 2011

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Annihilators is oversized AND available in two covers.

Can you tell if the one I linked is the right one? loving Amazon UK.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Deadpool posted:

Is there any difference between the UK Marvel trades made by Panini and the US Marvel trades? There's this guy that that has a few I need but he has the Panini trades. Any difference between the spines or the size? They'll be going on a shelf with other Marvel trades in the same series and I'd rather they not look out of place.

Yeah, they're about as different as trades can get. Totally different spines, covers, front and end-pieces, cover pages, bonus material... I mean, the actual comics inside are the same. I really regret the two panini trades I bought.
So, uh, steer clear.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

Last week I decided that it was finally about time that I got around to reading Tintin. And given the length of the series I thought the best option would be to order the box set for the series. It arrived today and I was surprised to find out that it lacked three stories: Tintin in the Land of the Soviets, Tintin in the Congo, and Tintin and Alph-Art.

I know that the first two are highly controversial at best and supposedly not very good and the last one is an unfinished work but the entire point of a box set is to collect everything. I can understand where they might not want to present the two stories featuring racist caricatures first; they could have shoved them into a volume in the back with an essay explaining their place in the stories. Skipping over both ends of the Tintin stories just seems the wrong way to do this.

But then you would render the box set unsuitable for children, prudes and anyone who just wanted to read Tintin stories. Those three books (speaking as someone who owns all of them) are ephemera at best. There is literally no reason to read them unless you have a deep interest in Hergés development and art, something that most people who read Tintin - hell, that generalises to everything - don't.
Also, they're awful. Dude, you aren't missing anything.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
I've done 37 before, because I've never found a UK binder that could do it for less than £35, so I tend to cram stuff in.
That said, that one had a couple of pages that didn't bind properly and had to be sent back, so I wouldn't do quite that many again.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Flight 230 posted:

1500 page Invisibles Omnibus!

!!!

!!!

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2011/11/22/what%E2%80%99s-coming-in-summer-2012/

!!!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This makes up for me buying the 4th volume of 100 bullets literally days before they announced the HCs

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

TheManWithNoName posted:

Holy poo poo here I was last night just hoping for nice editions of The Invisibles, Animal Man and Doom Patrol, since it seems like everything Grant Morrison has written for DC is getting a nice hardcover.

All over that thing.

Also I've literally never read any of those three precisely because I'm waiting for the BEST EDITIONS. So happy.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
I swear to god, Amazon knows that it let me preorder X-Statix for a stupidly low price, and it's now doing everything in its power to get me to cancel the preorder. It's now delayed til January. I just want to read a fuckton of X-Men! Is that too much to ask?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

jimcunningham posted:

Here's my simple and clean work up for Annihilation: Conquest.

There will be about a 1" dark blue strip on the bottom, the rest of the blue is folded. It's not to perfect measurements, because I haven't measured the books or even taken out ads blah blah blah, but I think this would be a cool book.

Nova #1-3
Conquest Prologue #1
Nova #4-7
Wraith #1-4
Starlord #1-4
Quasar #1-4
Annihilation: Conquest #1-6

Whelp, your graphic design chops are far better than mine. I've stopped adding anything into my books because they always look so bad.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

jimcunningham posted:

I'll help anyone do custom art if they want it. For free, but you might have to check it for measurement specs after I'm done, cause I'm an idiot and new to binding.

Because binding seems to be so much more expensive in the UK, I never do anything for the cover or spine, but I used to put title pages in, things like this (obviously not pixelated when I printed it):

If you really are bored enough to help, my next few binds will be:
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction, volume one (Uncanny X-Men 500-522, Annual 2, Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men Utopia, Dark Avengers/Uncanny X-Men Exodus, Dark Avengers 7&8, Dark Reign: The List - X-Men and Dark Reign: The Cabal)
Uncanny X-Men by Matt Fraction, volume two (X-Men Second Coming: Prepare, X-Men Second Coming 1&2, New Mutants 12-14, X-Men Legacy 235-237, X-Force 26-28, Uncanny X-Men: The Heroic Age, Uncanny X-Men 523-534, Cyclops, and Iceman and Angel)
Ultimate X-Men volume two (Ultimate X-Men 34-65 and Annual 1)
2000 AD 2010 Volume One (2000 AD 1650-1671, 2000AD Prog 2010)
2000 AD 2010 Volume Two (2000 AD 1672-1699)
2000 AD 2011 Volume One (2000 AD 1700-1725, 2000AD Prog 2011)
2000 AD 2011 Volume Two (2000 AD 1726-1749)

Feel up to any of those? ;)

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
:monocle:
I love you

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
I got (deep breath):
Absolute Sandman 1
Hellboy Library 4
Punisher MAX HC 5
Invincible: Ultimate Collection 6
BPRD Plague of Frogs HC 2
DMZ 2
100 Bullets 5
The Influencing Machine

It was a good haul.

And jimcunningham, I just got the email - thanks! Now I need to prep them. And save up cash. And find a box to ship em in. Ugh.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Amazon just cancelled my order for Flex Mentallo. Is it sold out (AGAIN?)

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
People in the know, when will I get an Uncanny X-Force OSHC? Don't say never.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

Chalk up another Amethyst Showcase purchaser.

The thing I find really odd on that list is this:

I like Amanda Conner but that's a strange grab bag of stuff and I didn't think she was high profile enough for this kind of collection. Is this DC going, "See! We have a woman drawing comics for us!"?

I'm probably going to order that bronze age GL collection too.

She's got enough fans to justify collecting previously uncollected work. The grab bag of stuff is basically necessary - apart from Terra and Power Girl, has she got any long-form work for DC?

What I find weird is the inclusion of Wednesday Comics. I know her story was hardly Wonder Woman, which absolutely couldn't be shrunk, but it's still pretty designed for the big pages.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Anyone in this thread on GoodReads? I want to use it to find more good books, but I don't know enough comicpeople to follow.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Am I right in thinking that the BPRDs are not being produced in super-fancy 'library' collections? I've considered picking them up a few times but never have.

The Plague of Frogs hardcovers (as above) are still pretty loving fancy. Three trades in one (non-oversized) HC, delightful paperstock, tonnes of extras, collected chronologically - putting various one-shots where they come in the story.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The BPRD books are regular dustcover having hardcovers. The good news is Mignola's work in single issues shows off the spectacle and horror of folks making their way through the war, but in the collections you get a better picture of the larger mythology he is building.

I'm never quite sure how fair it is to call it Mignola's work, really. By the end of the second Plague of Frogs HC, I think his input was down to having a phone call once every miniseries with Arcudi to discuss where the plot was going.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

JackDarko posted:

That's absolutely wrong, the big plot always comes from Mignola and he always looks over scripts and edits dialogue or gives Arcudi pointers. Plus he's doing the covers for the series and if you notice he does the designs for new characters that Guy Davis then adapted. Plus at that point he was doing covers for the series, he's very modest and says Arcudi does the heavy lifting but it's all Mignola plots.

By the way if you all like the production behind the Hellboy and BPRD books check out the Manara Library editions Dark Horse started putting out last year, they really are fantastic. Even if you're not familiar with the mans work the first volume is completely stand alone and has one of Manara's and Hugo Pratt's very best stories in it. If anybody is really hesitant I can snap some pictures of volume 1 and volume 2. In Volume 2 they use two papers stocks one glossy for the in color first story, and the second a more matte but still very nice paper stock for the black and white story. That's just some great attention to detail you hardly see from publishers these days.

Huh, cool! I'd always been concerned that his name on it was a bit of a swizz, so it's nice to know that he earns his keep (so to speak).

And yeah, I have both the Manara HCs (and even vol one of the Erotic companion series pre-ordered). I've only read the first, and love the art, but... Hugo Pratt writes some odious stories, and they almost put me off the whole thing. They aren't even bad, as such, they just use rape and sexual violence in what is (to me, at least) a disgusting manner.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

JackDarko posted:

Thanks for being so cool about that didn't want it to come off like I was attacking you, but yeah Mignola puts in work.

It's difficult to say if that comes from Pratt or Manara, the stories I've read from just Pratt like Corto Maltese have none of that in them. I get the feeling he gives Manara the stuff he wants to draw, or is it what the European audiences want?

Hmmm. Hard to say, then. I'd assumed from the fact that Manara's self-penned story in Volume One was, while hardly progressive, at least non-rapey, that it was Pratt, but I guess you never can tell who's responsible for what (edit: Which, thinking about it, is a nice circular ending to this conversation). Anyway, it's an artists book, and the art is stellar, so I'm not too concerned.

Do you (or anyone else, really) happen to know quite how complete the full collection will be? I'm curious to know if that weird X-Women strip will make it in. I can't see how it could, but stranger things have happened.

Also, in other delightful collected editions news: The Empowered phonebook edition is out soon! Who's psyched? I'm psyched.

Fight My Dad! fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 13, 2012

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Aren't the new premier hardcovers just reprinting the softcovers?

The new premier hardcovers are just reprints, but Icon is also putting out all-new powers. It's about an issue every six months, but they are coming.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Random Stranger posted:

I just got the one volume edition of Jodorowsky and Moebius's The Incal that came out a few months ago. I have to say that I'm left wondering why I haven't read this sooner. It is amazing. Every page is breathtaking and the story is pretty snappy as well. I know it's well known over in Europe but this really needs more exposure in the US; it's brilliant.

I'm also glad I popped over to Amazon to order it when I read about Moebius's passing last week. The prices have quadrupled since I bought my copy. I'm sure those will come back down though as time passes.

While I'm on the subject the only way Amazon has to get the prequel is a superdeluxe, signed and number, slipcase, and sketch edition. Is it worth it even without Moebius's artwork for the story?

I believe the prequel is going to be released in the same format as the Incal was - both were originally released by Humanoids as the stupid superdeluxe ones, then later by that other publisher.

Aaaaand Amazon just pushed my Flex Mentallo date back.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Apropos of nothing, omnibu the lack of which I cannot fathom why:

Hulk by Greg Pak
Herc by Greg Pak
Runaways (I know there was a rumour about this one)
Brand New Day (and this one)
Captain Britain and MI:13
Agents of Atlas
Punisher Max
Punishermax

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Hulk by Pak is a given, I dunno about Herc. Runaways would have happened if the film hadn't been binned. BND was supposed to happen to coincide with the new film. CB I doubt and AoA kept flopping so I'd be shocked if that happened. We'll eventually see a Jason Aaron Punisher Omni, I don't know about the Ennis stuff at this point.

drat, I've basically been waiting for an AoA omni. It would fit so well in the drat thing. So would CB. Both the right length, self contained, but with enough little one shots and stuff to throw in and make it seem like a good buy.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely "Flex Mentallo - Man of Muscle Mystery (Deluxe Edition)"
Estimated arrival date: April 05 2012 - April 11 2012

One of Amazon's aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
I've got the Invisibles on pre-order, so I guess I'll be the guinea pig (I've never read the thing).

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

bobkatt013 posted:

Why not? They could be stuff they wanted to add but was unable due to the issue being too long.

And it can't be in the regular tpb because...?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Shameless posted:

BPRD hardcover vol 4 popped up in the Dark Horse September solicts. Which is nice. Does anyone think there's a chance that the spin-off mini-series such as Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson will eventually be hardcovered?

Well there aren't any which have enough issues yet. I think Abe, LJ and Witchfinder are all on 10 issues each, and the HCs have about... 18? 20?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

solidrooster posted:

So I just bought the Incredible Hulk by Jason Aaron Vol. 1 OHC and it came with a digital download code. I knew Marvel was doing this with their Season 1 hardcovers, but didn't know they were doing this with other hardcovers. Does anyone here know what other HC's have come with a DL code or which HC's in the future will include them?

There was one in my copy of X-Men Season One

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
This one goes out to the lurkers, as well: How many britgoons are there who'd be interested in an HC sale? I'm selling some out of print books, including ToD Omnibus 1&2, both volumes of the Brubaker and Bendis Daredevil omnibu, the Eternals Omnis. None of those for above cover price.

I've never set up an SA mart thread, so it'd be handy to gauge interest.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Jeremys Iron posted:

Saw your tweet and came running.

I'd be interested.

Have they been looked after in a stupidly fussy and careful way to satisfy my OCD demand for perfect-condition books?

All have by me, but some were second-hand when I got them...

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Kunzelman posted:

I recently moved to a new place and had to get rid of a lot of stuff, but I'm pretty proud of what I have. Excuse the disarray--there are some things missing that I'm writing on right now.

How can you post a pic without telling us the name and brand of your shelf? You monster.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
It's neither a photo of shelves, nor hardcover or even TPB news, but I need to vent and you guys are the only ones who'll understand:
The spine on the new Dark Horse Presents is upside down.
This is the worst thing that has ever happened

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Dark Horse Presents #14? It's a flip book dude. Nexus cover is the back cover.

:D My day is made. Sitting spinning it in my hands marvelling at this flip book magic.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

bobkatt013 posted:

I also do not think America is collected in them.

That's because they haven't reached America yet. It will be, just not till volume... 40? Or thereabouts.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Huh, my bad. Apparently it doesn't count as a Dredd story.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Anyone know if they've changed any of the content to flow with the new order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Glarble

ABSOLUTE TOP 10 HC
Written by ALAN MOORE
Art by GENE HA and ZANDER CANNON
Cover by GENE HA
Advance solicited • On sale APRIL 24, 592 pg, FC, 8.125″ x 12.25″, $99.99 US
In Neopolis’s Precinct 10, where every citizen is blessed with super powers, they are the law: A talking, armored dog. A genetically engineered “perfect woman.” A high-tech cowboy. An indestructible man. A rookie with a toy box full of “helpers.” These are the cops of the Eisner Award-winning series TOP 10. Now, their adventures, written by Alan Moore, are collected in this new, slipcased edition featuring TOP 10 #1-12, SMAX #1-5, a story from AMERICA’S BEST COMICS SPECIAL #1 and the graphic novel TOP 10: THE FORTY-NINERS.

THE BOOKS OF MAGIC DELUXE EDITION HC
Written by NEIL GAIMAN
Art by JOHN BOLTON, CHARLES VESS, PAUL JOHNSON and SCOTT HAMPTON
Cover by JOHN BOLTON
On sale JANUARY 30 • 208 pg, FC, 7.0625″ x 10.875″ • $24.99 US
From Neil Gaiman comes a mesmerizing tale of the dangers and opportunities of youth, and its endless possibilities. THE BOOKS OF MAGIC collects all four issues of the original miniseries in hardcover for the first time.
Timothy Hunter could be the most powerful magician in the world, but does he really want to be? John Constantine, Phantom Stranger, Mister E, and Doctor Occult attempt to aid Timothy in choosing his path, but by the time Timothy makes a choice, it may already have been made for him.

My money... :(