Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Zachack posted:

It's been a while since I've received anything that didn't fit in the Chosen Shelves aka Ikea Expedit but today I think I've hit the largest thing yet, only topped in area by Wednesday Comics, and I think it's my highest volume book yet. I present: Chris Ware's Building Stories (image stolen from amazon). Now to figure out the reading order.

What's really amazing is it's so loving cheap. Shows how much Marvel and DC gouge us on the prices of trades. It would be $100+ from them, easy.

But yeah, I got a review copy of it a few months ago, and it is a fantastic book in almost every way. But if you want to get the most from it, there's some parts which are best read in the middle - it would be a tad anti-climactic to leave them to the end:
Read the two bee ones early on, the small pamphlets in the middle, and preferably the two-tone bound book last.
But that's just my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Hahaha, holy poo poo:
£1500 collection of 19 omnibuses and a shitload of trades
Want to buy your way into being respected by the thread?

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

bobkatt013 posted:

The 19X does introduce us to some important characters and seem to be more set up for the vampire storyline that they will get to eventually.

I'm almost certain – but can't find a source, I'm afraid – that we've been told that 1947, 1948, 1949 and Vampires will be collected in one HC.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Rhyno posted:

Be happy you have trades.

Be happy they even let it end.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

PelvicNerve posted:

What's the final word on the Invisibles omni by the way? Does it fall to pieces or is it sturdier than what DC has accustomed us to?

I read it cover-to-cover and the binding's stayed perfectly intact. It's not the easiest way to read the book, I'll give you that, but it IS the only way to read it oversized AFAIK.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.
Price inflation in Marvel Omnibuses:

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Not sure what the best thread would be, but figure this is the best shot of finding some TPB experts - how good is Image at doing big collections? I'm looking to get into Fatale, but would prefer something with more heft than a five-issue trade. Just have no idea how long I'd be waiting to see something with a few hundred pages or if I should give in and get what's already published.

Brubaker & Phillips — for it is they who would have the final say over this one — seem to be trying their hardest to get deluxe hardcovers of all their stuff out there. Incognito, Scene of the Crime and both volumes of Criminal are out already, and Sleeper is coming out in March (though that one's due to DC).

Brubaker seems pretty annoyed about it (he's spoken several times, in tones of bafflement and irritation, about people "waiting for the deluxe hardcovers" and how hard that makes it to judge the success of a new series) but I think he's resigned to it.

So, yes, expect a Fatale OSHC eventually, but also expect to wait two or three years for it.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

redbackground posted:

This time, I may have gone too far:

I also picked up a bunch of the (surprisingly lengthy!) Silver Sable run for nearly nothing, and well, they needed a home:

Has anyone (here or over at the Marvel Masterworks board) cracked the puzzle of getting books this good in the UK? I got three done by Hollingworth and Moss a few years back, but one was returned with a few pages loose (admittedly, I did try and fit 33 issues in one book, so I was probably asking that). On top of that, they were no-where near as pretty as this, and a good deal more expensive. £33 each, plus p&p.

Anyone had better experiences? Or cheaper experiences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

That would be nice.

sporklift posted:

Recent book purchases.

How are you liking SiP? I'd never read it, and it really is marvellous in scope. Even if I am only about 20% through it.