Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I've got All-Star Superman volume 1 in trade paperback already. Any advice on whether to get volume 2 separately, or just buy the entire thing in a single volume?

redbackground posted:

Best/biggest versions:

The Black Casebook and Final Crisis are worth mentioning too, but they're both optional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

sleepingbuddha posted:

My greatest fear about my collection whenever I get around to having a child.

Give it a few years and they'll be reading them too though :unsmith:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uthor posted:

Shelf edge. That way all the spines line up even if the books have wildly different depths.

You get less dust that way too, and it looks cool.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Are they still releasing a hardcover with 12-22 of Hawkeye?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Awesome, thanks. I know what I'm getting for my birthday now.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there anything (interesting) in the Multiversity HC that wasn't in the singles?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there any significant difference between the new hardcover of Superman - Secret Identity and the old paperback?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Veg posted:

The oversize is the best though.

Yeah, it's the best format.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Uthor posted:

I like file boxes for their handles. If you can, only pack them half full of books and use the rest of the space for light stuff like clothes or towels to keep the weight down.

Yeah, boxes of books can be heavy as gently caress. There's not too much you need to do to protect them though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

So how do you guys organise trades etc on a shelf? Alphabetise by author (possibly separating out into Marvel and DC)? Some kind of chronological order, either internal or publishing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

At the moment I've got mine roughly grouped into publisher > character > arc / run, with the runs ordered by rough chronology. For example, my Batman section looks something like: Year One / DKR (and other misc 80s / 90s stuff), Gotham Central, Morrison's run, and then bits of Snyder's. The problem I have (and what inspired the question) was stuff like Final Crisis, which could be reasonably put in the middle of that Batman run or with Seven Soldiers and Multiversity in its own section. On the one hand it feels like a silly thing to care about, on the other hand I figure the books have to go somewhere so I might as well organise them.

Moving them around did also make me realise how much heavier the newer glossy paper is compared to the older stuff.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rhyno posted:

I picked up a couple of Rebirth hardcovers and I really like how they put full art on the book under the dust jackets.

Yeah I love it when they do that. The N52's hardcovers looked so dull underneath.

TNC's Black Panther has great hardcover art too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Getting the Vision HC with slight damage to one corner of the dustjacket for 40 AUD was a loving steal.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Only Corvus is married I think :v:

But yeah, it's all happening at once.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lemire / Sorrentino's Green Arrow got a hardcover as well.

Rhyno posted:

Isn't there one?

There is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

I mean oversized, if it wasn't.

Yeah, just checked and it's a few cm taller than my N52 softcovers.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mike Danger posted:

I ended up finding a copy of this, but I thought I'd ask just to sate my own curiosity: is the TPB for the pre-New 52 Batwoman stories out of print now? I ended up buying what seemed to be the last new copy on Amazon, everything else was used and it was out of stock on in stock trades (har)/DCBS.

They put out a new version in the middle of 2017 that included a few additional issues that weren't in the older Elegy collection. Might be between printings, I don't know.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/hellomuller/status/1205200350535401472?s=19

Thread

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

obi_ant posted:

I don’t need to read that dawn of x stuff?

It's not like HoX/PoX. There are occasionally small crossovers (plus things like XoS and the Gala) but for the most part the series are self-contained and you don't have to read, say, X-Force unless you want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

We'll see how it goes, anyway! It's been pretty good so far, so hopefully Fraction has done some other works in the same universe, that I can potentially check out next. (I think I vaguely recall there being mention of him writing some Daredevil, at some point? I might be way off the mark there. Either way, that's a matter for later, at this point)

The Iron Fist joke at the start is there because Fraction cowrote Immortal Iron Fist before moving on to Hawkeye. I highly recommend it.