Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rhyno posted:

I loving hate Bleeding Cool but they have all the links in one place

50% off a whole bunch of DC Omnibus HCs! And many of these ain't even out yet!

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/02/batch-dc-comics-omnibuses-drop-50-off-amazon/

Saga: Book 2 for $25. :eyepop:

e: And only $8 for shipping to Europe. Score!

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

HOLY loving GRAPHIC NOVELS BATMAN

LOOK AT THIS FUCKIN LIST

http://collectededitions.blogspot.com.es/2017/03/dc-rebirth-omnibus-expanded-edition.html

DC is doing deluxe hardcovers of the Rebirth books!

Aw man, I literally bought the softcover version of Batman: Hush just last week. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

sporklift posted:

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/1231813-dark-horse-reveals-mike-mignolas-hellboy-hell-library-edition

It looks like they are continuing the B.P.R.D. hardcovers. Only took three years...

I wish they'd reprint the Plague of Frogs HCs. They're kind of hard to get in Europe (for a good price). :arghfist::(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Does anyone know why the Abe Sapien hardcovers aren't going to include the stuff from the first two TPBs? Are they already collected somewhere else or something?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I feel like a real dumbass for not getting the Cable & Deadpool omnibus before Deadpool exploded in popularity. It's so expensive now. :(

See also: every Thor omnibus

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo. Looks like Valiant's Shadowman HC and Book of Death HC are out of print and stupidly expensive.

ANyone got a line on these? I will offer up a still shrink-wrapped Cable/Deadpool Omnibus in trade.

Amazon UK still has the Shadowman HC in stock somehow. Shipping shouldn't be too expensive.

e: vvvv Oh. :saddowns:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Aug 11, 2017

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

The books themselves are definitely the main attraction; they're beautiful. I recommend taking them out of the case regardless of its state on arrival.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

A Venom omnibus (delightfully named 'Venomnibus') got solicited for February and that's going to be the jam.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Fellas, it is with heavy heart that I must announce that the Dark Horse graphic designers are at it again.

Not a single thing is in the same place (except for the Dark Horse logo, which is a different one). They didn't even stick to the same principle of listing authors. :rant:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

Speaking of which, why the hell is the Plague of Frogs Volume 1 hardcover really easy to get, but the others are stupidly expensive? Were they just not reprinted or something?

And why does Dark and Terrible start with volumes 3-5 of the existing Abe series? That seems like an awkward way to start a collection.

They stopped reprinting the Plague of Frogs hardcovers in reverse order for some reason. Up until a month or two ago Volume 2 was readily available as well.

And I have no idea why they skipped the first two Abe volumes for the hardcovers. Maybe they're planning to include them in the BPRD: Hell on Earth hardcovers at some point? He was still part of the team in the first two volumes, I guess. :shrug:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

That sucks. I have really bad tendonitis, and it makes it harder for me to read large paperbacks, but if the hardcovers aren't available I guess I'll just have to deal. And I don't want to get one hardcover and three paperbacks, that's just silly.

Also I just learned that the first two volumes are getting their own collection next July.

I feel you on this (well, except for the tendonitis. I don't feel that). I have the first two Plague of Frogs hardcovers and I'm just holding onto the vain hope that they'll reprint the other two at some point. :pray:

And hey, looks like you're right! I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this until now.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Unit24 posted:

Speaking of going out of print, I'm trying to hold off on getting that Akira 35th Anniversary Box Set for now, but I'm super scared that it'll be too late before I pull the trigger, since a set that luxurious doesn't strike me as something that'll continue to be sold new for years to come. Unless I'm just completely off base here.

For what it's worth, the two online stores I usually get my books are out of stock on that box set already. Manga doesn't really go out of print any more these days, not even luxury editions, but you might want to get this one while you still can.

e: Also, I'm in Europe. The supply situation might be different elsewhere.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 6, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Space Fish posted:

How have Image's recent (past few years) "Book One" type hardcovers been? Sturdy build, easy to see center of art? Deadly Class, WicDiv, Saga, Outcast, what have you.

They're pretty good in my opinion. Well-bound, sturdy, decent page quality, etc. I'd say about a quarter of an inch of the center art is hidden by the binding in a 500 page book, which is about as good as you can expect.

e: Speaking of Image Book Ones, look what came in the mail today!

:woop:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jan 12, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Fellas, it is with heavy heart that I must announce that the Dark Horse graphic designers are at it again.

Not a single thing is in the same place (except for the Dark Horse logo, which is a different one). They didn't even stick to the same principle of listing authors. :rant:

The Saga Continues...

:negative:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The Akira rights have changed hands several times so just be patient.

The rights are in the hands of the western branch of the original Japanese publisher now, so I wouldn't hold out hope for anyone else to scoop them up any time soon.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm such a mark for both Gwenpool and hardcovers that I'll absolutely buy a Gwenpool omnibus even though I already own all the issues digitally.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Dunbar posted:

Omnibus chat

Marvel's 1200~ page/50 issue omnibuses is where I draw the line for what I consider readable. If you relax the spine on those they're perfectly good to read laying down on a counter top or resting in your lap. I own the 1300+ page Sin City omnibus (which also has really thick paperstock) and I kind of regret buying it because of how unwieldy and heavy it is. There's pretty much no comfortable way to read it and I live in constant fear of the spine giving out.

I still prefer 300-500 page OHCs (or even premiere trades) over omnibuses. They're a lot less cumbersome to carry around and you don't have to prep their spine before reading them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

The Hickman F4 are pretty much the perfect length. I just finished re-reading them yet again.

I really miss 2000s era Marvel HC trades. Dust jackets, embossed leather covers, sown binding, quality pages, the works. They really make the current cardboard HC trades with the flimsy pages look like amateur hour.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Heads up: it seems recent reprints of the Hellboy library editions have started doing away with the extra thick paperstock. If you plan to buy them online and care about that sort of thing, make sure to ask the seller for the width of the book or something.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mike Danger posted:

Interesting. Is there some reference for how wide an edition with the thicker stock is vs. the thinner? I just bought volumes 1-3 recently and I'm curious to see how many of them are like this (if any).

I quickly checked the width on my copies of volumes 1 through 6, which all have the thick paperstock. Here are the stats:

Vol 1: 2.85cm/1.12 inches
Vol 2: 3.2cm/1.26 inches
Vol 3: 3.2cm/1.26 inches
Vol 4: 2.95cm/1.16 inches
Vol 5: 4.05cm/1.6 inches
Vol 6: 3.8cm/1.5 inches

The copy of Hellboy in Hell I got has the thinner paperstock. It's 2.6cm/1 inch wide despite having more pages than volume 1 and 2. Amazon has the width listed as 3.3cm/1.3 inches, which I assume is the width for the run with thicker paperstock.

e: it could honestly be the case that this applies exclusively to the Hellboy in Hell library edition reprints. It has been conspicuously cheap on amazon for a long time, after all... :negative:

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 9, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mike Danger posted:

Thanks! My copies are all on the thicker stock, going by these measurements.

Very nice! :)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I just found a page for a Super Sons omnibus on Amazon. I don't think I've seen it listed in any of the monthly solicits, so this is the first I've heard of it. It collects all 16 issues and some other stuff.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Sons...WA8XMJAR2MWF8TP

There is a solicit for a Deluxe Edition vol. 1 of Super Sons out there as well, which collects isses 1-12. No word on a Deluxe Edition vol. 2, however. So if anyone has been considering getting Super Sons in hardcover the omnibus might be the way to go to ensure you end up getting all of it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Whom did Dark_Tzitime bribe to make this happen? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Hood-O...Outlaws+omnibus

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I have a lot of catching up to do on Valiant OHCs and buying them feels like a weird game of Russian roulette at times. Except instead of having a chance of taking a bullet and dying you have a chance of not buying a book that is going out of print next week. :suicide:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I rearranged some of my bookshelves recently:

I think it's kind of obvious that I started from the bottom and sort of lost interest by the time I got to the top, though.

Can't believe you'd give Squadron Supreme and Acts of Vengeance a shelf spot over Dr. Strange. :arghfist::(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Disclaimer: it's the 90s Doctor Strange by Roy Thomas.

Ah okay. Respectable decision.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

MrFlibble posted:

Is there anything significant missing from the Hellboy Library editions? I know its going to be more expensive than buying the omnibus editions that are coming out soon but I like the art so much that it warrants a large hardcover set.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that if I want the rest of the Hellboy universe stuff its going to be in various forms that don't necessarily look like a coherent whole.

If we're just talking Hellboy and not extended universe stuff like BPRD and Abe Sapien, all of Hellboy is collected in the seven library editions with the exception of:

-Some stuff from the 'Hellboy in Mexico' TPB
-Hellboy Weird Tales
-The three OGNs (Midnight Circus, Into the Silent Sea, and House of the Living Dead)

All of these except for Hellboy in Mexico are available in hardcover, just not huge library edition-sized ones.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

As it turns out, the Abe Sapien hardcover that came out this month (The Drowning & Others) collects the first, second and ninth Abe Sapien TPB. With the two hardcovers that came before (Dark and Terrible) collecting TPBs three through eight.

I'm glad that all Abe Sapien stories are finally available in hardcover, but why did Dark Horse shuffle them around like this? :raise:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Berserk got hit with this really badly. Dark Horse changed their spine design for manga when they were 38 volumes deep into publishing Berserk. Reprints of the older volumes use the new spine design as well, so you see a lot of collections that look like this now:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I'm still steamed that N52 Red Hood & The Outlaws got an omnibus over literally anything else from that time period.

Could the wizard that got us the Gotham Central omnibus please work that magic again for an All-Star Western omnibus?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Every side of that X-O hardcover looks lovely. I can't wait for it to become available in bookstores!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I got the Super Sons omnibus in the mail today and it has a lovely wraparound cover underneath the duskjacket. :swoon:

I especially dig combination of colourless background and art deco-like title. The dustjacket itself doesn't have the blue and black Rebirth flair at the top, surprisingly enough. The spine is stark grey.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I think something really weird happened with Hell on Earth vol. 3. A number of retailers had it listed as unavailable the very day it came out. Maybe it was criminally underprinted right from the get-go? :shrug:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Uthor posted:

The Definitive Edition of Moonshadow from Dark Horse only has about thirty pages of extras, but is twice as thick as Vertigo's Compleat Moonshadow. What a difference paper weight makes!

This is one of my favorite books and I think it has been out of print for years. Totally double dipped for this one.

I got it too! The Dark Horse singles-height omnibuses are so good, especially considering the price. I just wish they weren't bound so tightly.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Does anyone know what's going on with the Cable & X-Force omnibus? It was supposed to come out today, but pretty much every online retailer now has it listed as unavailable and all of them now provide disparate new release dates.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I don't think that applies to Europe. Amazon, Wordery, Book Depository, and Abe all had it up for pre-order until today, after which it mysteriously became unavailable on all of them. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

gently caress yeah. Really excited about the X-Force omnibus.

:same: and I'm eyeing the reprint of the Ultimates omnibus as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone else order books from Amazon and they arrive in poo poo condition?

Light denting at the top of the spine and dust jacket is the worst I've ever suffered from Amazon, though it does happen quite often.

I once ordered a book from the Dutch megaretailer bol.com and it came with an extended slit to the dust jacket. It was a really precise one too, like it was done with a utility knife.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

l33tfuzzbox posted:

How are the recent venom omnis? And the wicked and the divine year collections? Im also eyeing the hellboy library collection.

I wouldn't bother with the Venom omnibuses. They collect the 90s miniseries, which aren't very good for the most part. WicDiv and the Hellboy library editions are pro-buys, though. :retrogames:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

nthing the fact that Sweet Tooth is really good.

In other news, it looks like DC has joined the Marvel school of flimsy trade paper stock. Vol. 2 is just over 300 pages and Vol. 3 is 350+ pages, but Vol. 3 is significantly thinner. Between this and future deluxe editions all being premiere hardcover sized instead of OHC, it looks like the golden age of Rebirth deluxe editions is over. :(