Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Great OP! Maybe bold DC/Marvel and put a bold binding title?

How about including a blurb on Omnis by DC (though it is super confusing) ala Jack Kirby/Starman type omni vs. GL/NTT Omnis?

Masterworks also includes Golden age and soon if not already Bronze age.

Also DC has the Showcase line ala Marvel Essentials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The only other real thing I can think of would be amazon fishing. To see what may or may not be coming out prior to the solicit, go to your amazon.com/ca/co.uk of your choice and search for 'dc comics' or publisher of your choice (marvel comics, idw comics, dark horse comics, fantagraphics, etc.) then choose books, graphic novels and sort by release date. You should be able to see the next 4-6 months of releases and sometimes get some insane pre-order deals.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
EC Archives are back baby!

First-generation EC Comics fan Russ Cochran and second-generation EC Comics aficionado Grant Geissman have established a boutique imprint called GC Press, LLC. The imprint is dedicated to the high-quality preservation of the 1950s EC Comics—in book form, and presenting complete issues, the way EC originally intended!

http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17958/EC-ARCHIVES-GC-Press-LLC-Press-Release

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Neep posted:

I organize my books right to left because I mentally always stack them and like to read them top-down. That's what I tell myself anyways.

I'm moving house again and hate myself for buying so many omnibus and absolutes. Speaking of which, hasn't it been a while since any new absolutes have been announced/come out?

Last new one was Absolute Identity Crisis due out in October. DC is also reprinting Absolute Hush and Watchmen.

Oh and Absolute Promethea Book Three in December.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Inkslinger posted:

Wasn't Absolute Authority Vol. 1 getting reprinted as well? (He says, fingers crossed...)

Hopefully it does, I enjoyed selling my Absolute Planetary v1 and Walking Dead Slipcase v1 for triple the reprint price. I then pour that profit back into more hardcovers :D

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Corbet posted:

Does anybody know if DC ever released a collection of Dini's Detective Comics run? I remember really liking it when I was reading singles.

Maybe it was terrible and it's all nostalgia.

Batman: Detective, collects #821-826, April 2007, ISBN 978-1401212391
Batman: Death and the City, collects #827-834, November 2007, ISBN 978-1401215750
Batman: Private Casebook, collects #840-845 and DC Infinite Halloween Special, November 2009, ISBN 978-1401220150 (Hardcover: December 2008, ISBN 978-1401220099)
Batman: Heart of Hush, collects #846-850, March 2010, ISBN 978-1401221249 (Hardcover: April 2009, ISBN 978-1401221232)

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

UncleMonkey posted:

Got my Walter Simonson Thor omnibus in the mail today. Opened it to find that some jackass had probably damaged it at the warehouse. The top of the spine and the tops of the pages a quarter of the way into the book were sliced in half. Didn't even take it out of the protective (ha!) plastic wrap. Just had to put it back in the box and repackage it.

Just created the return and requested a replacement. Does anyone know how long that takes? I know it says if they don't receive the original item within 30 days they charge for the original item as well. Does that mean they'll send me a replacement right away? I'd better not have to wait until they receive the original, seeing as how they already charged me $72.

Oh sweet excitement, how quickly you turn to bitter disappointment. :(

e: Oops, meant to say I got it from Amazon.

They send the replacement out that day usually. You won't get billed unless you don't return the original book. Amazon has a pretty sweet system for returning things. You absolutely won't get screwed over.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Glenn Danzig posted:

Sure is.

Pre-ordered the poo poo outa that mofo

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Ghost Boner posted:

Jesus, I can't find a copy of Secret Six: Depths trade anywhere, and the only copy on eBay is selling for $70+. What the hell, how can something that recent sell out so fast?

13 smackers here http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/1401225993/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1316258441&sr=8-1&condition=new

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
I know no one likes dirty binding pictures, but here we go!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Rhyno posted:

Why do you store your books upside down?

I just didn't rotate the picture :(

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

etcetera08 posted:

:confused: They're definitely upside down in the picture..

They are sideways on a shelf if that helps, they aren't upside down though. It is my temporary shelf before transferring to my storage unit. Gordon of Gotham is on the bottom, look at the way the ribbon falls.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Ugh I'm going to be broke. DC this is a stellar lineup of collected editions!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Oh god I forgot to cancel the Irredeemable slipcase and now I own it :signings:

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The most annoying thing about the Tintin box set is they are micro sized. I was expecting fullsize books. It is a shame to have the art shrunk down.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

KFCB posted:

Wow, really? That is disappointing as I was going to buy this for Christmas. Guess I'll be saving up and buying the full sized individuals.

Yep, I regret not doing that. You'd think with a movie they would release a hardcover full size box set but my amazon searches have turned up nothing.... Some interesting biographys on Herge are coming out though. Tintin Companion is worth a look and there are a few art books that are fun to flip through.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

TheManWithNoName posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but are there any plans for a fourth Brubaker Captain America Omnibus?

Nothing has been solicited (officially announced) but I would be stunned if there wasn't.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Ghost Boner posted:

Just got the first trade of Morrison's JLA(the new printing that they released in hardcover in 2009).

Any word on the second one, because I can't seem to find any information about it.

It is OOP, it will be difficult to find for under $80

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Shameless posted:

I think he's talking about a potential paperback edition, not the HC.

Nothing's been announced yet (and I don't think it's even turned up as an Amazon fish) but I expect it will definitely be along at some point in the not too distant future.

I think they are throwing in the Mark Waid issues in the TPBs making them potentially better than the HCs depending on your view

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
The Kamandi Omnibus is blowing my mind. What a steal for only $35. I'm trying to pace it out and only read 2 stories a day though so it will last but I just want to rip through it :(

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Rhyno posted:

Well I'm depressed.

With the acquisition of the last Spirit Archives I no longer have any old books on my must have list. The white whale has been slain and now I have no reason to exist.

I will break into your house and steal them all, setting you back years and giving you a reason to live again!

Also while that Spider-Man Omni looks cool. I'm a soft-cover MMW kinda guy now :D

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Got another batch back today. Liking the bigger font and head/tailbands!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Uthor posted:

Hate to tell you, but they bound your book upside down...

It's ok, I read Canadian.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
When are you shipping damnitttttttttt! I want my EC Archives

http://www.amazon.com/Haunt-Fear-Ec-Archives/dp/0983948704/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1320059601&sr=1-1

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
DC was going to get slammed either way on this but really guys? Do you want a four issue hardcover just so you can have something sooner? I don't see Action comics as being a bad example, it will collect eight issues making it a nice size and four months after issue eight isn't fantastic but no need to slam on DC. You have to remember these aren't iPhone 4Ss, they aren't air freighting them. They are printed in China (usually) and shipped over on boat.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Beats me then, 4 months after the final issue isn't the worst thing in the world. Either bind your own or suck it up.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
DC February 2012 solicits

Yes please to the following

ABSOLUTE FINAL CRISIS HC
BATMAN: BIRTH OF THE DEMON TP
BATMAN INCORPORATED VOL. 1 DELUXE EDITION HC
THE FLASH ARCHIVES VOL. 6 HC
100 BULLETS BOOK TWO DELUXE EDITION HC
DMZ VOL. 11: FREE STATES RISING TP
NORTHLANDERS VOL. 6: THOR’S DAUGHTER TP

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Uber Kosh posted:

wildlele and anyone else here than does custom binding, I've got a quick question for you: What's the maximum number of issues you'd put into a single volume?

Edit: So a 92 issue collection would be best as 3 volumes?

I'd split it into 4 volumes and find some 'extras' to pad it out a bit, maybe interviews, scripts, sketches etc.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Anyone pick up the Carl Barks book from Fantagraphics yet? I wish I didn't order from Amazon, the wait is killing me!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

AntiqueCowboy posted:

I got mine from Amazon and it is magnificent. There's a pretty lengthy introduction that talks about Barks' difficult life and story notes in the back. It's going to be total sex with the entire collection on a shelf. My only complaint is that there isn't a volume number on the spine.

Argh, you lucky bastard. I wish they were coming out faster. I think I read somewhere that Fantagraphics thinks it will take 30 volumes and at only two per year thats a hella long time :(

I'll work on the Gottfredson Mickey Mouse set in the meantime.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

xK1 posted:

Aren't they releasing them "out of order" though (i.e the more popular stories first rather than chronologically)? That would excuse the lack of volume numbering for me.

Yes they are releasing them out of order, the current volume is #7 out of 30.

It's currently a whopping $13 so pick it up folks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...&pf_rd_i=507846

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

redbackground posted:

Any cool foil embossing on the actual book cover?

DC seems to have done away with that. 100 bullets Deluxe didn't have it either. They seemed to switch around v3 or 4 of Ex Machina. I remember the first few being embossed.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Amazon.ca fish brings us DC books through Sept 2012

http://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...s&sort=-pubdate

Breaking this down a bit

Archives
The Green Lantern Archives Vol. 7 by Various (Hardcover - Aug 28 2012)
The Flash Archives Vol. 6 by Various (Hardcover - Jul 31 2012)
Superman: the Action Comics Archives Vol. 6 by Various (Hardcover - Jun 26 2012)

Chronicles (probably an error stating they are HC)
The Superman Chronicles Vol. 10 by Various (Hardcover - Sep 4 2012)
The Flash Chronicles Vol. 3 by Various (Hardcover - Aug 14 2012)

Showcase
Showcase Presents Rip Hunter, Time Master Vol. 1 by Various (Paperback - Aug 28 2012)
Showcase Presents Tales of the Unexpected Vol. 1 by Various (Paperback - Jun 26 2012)
Showcase Presents Showcase Vol. 1 by Various (Paperback - May 29 2012)

Absolute
Absolute Final Crisis by Grant Morrison and Various (Hardcover - Jul 24 2012)
Absolute Batman: Dark Victory by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale (Hardcover - May 29 2012)

Omni/Misc other older reprints
Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus Vol. 3 by Jack Kirby and Mike Royer (Paperback - Aug 28 2012)
Green Lantern/Green Arrow by Various and Neal Adams (Paperback - Aug 21 2012)
The Infinite Crisis Omnibus by Various (Hardcover - Jul 3 2012)
Superman: Kryptonite Nevermore by Dennis O'Neil, Neal Adams and Curt Swan (Paperback - Jul 3 2012)
Batman: Illustrated By Neal Adams Vol. 1 by Neil Adams (Paperback - Jul 3 2012)
Challengers of the Unknown Omnibus By Jack Kirby by Various (Hardcover - Jun 26 2012)
Society of Super-Villains Vol. 2 by Paul Levitz, Gerry Conway and Various (Hardcover - May 22 2012)

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
Oh yeah

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/12/15/absolute-fear/

Coming in September 2012, ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR will collect the story of Sinestro’s bid for totalitarian control of the galaxy – giving the arc the Absolute treatment with a gorgeous, over-sized hardcover presentation.

Collecting GREEN LANTERN 21-25, GREEN LANTERN CORPS 14-19 and GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS SPECIAL 1, ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN: SINESTRO CORPS WAR features the writing of critically acclaimed, fan favorite authors Geoff Johns, Dave Gibbons and Peter Tomasi, with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Patrick Gleason and Angel Unzueta.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

We don't have to "suck up" bad business practice simply because an alternative that most people aren't interested like that exists. Look I get that you just fell in love with binding and that you're all about that but quit preaching it down people's throats.

That being said 4 months really isn't that bad at all. It's not a whole drat year that's for sure.

Wow easy there, I was simply suggesting an alternative.

Back to hardcovers.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Tato posted:

I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

Really, you are proud you didn't buy directly from Russ Cochran? You are calling out Michael Kronenberg for not voluntarily posting updates that he may or may not have as he is not an employee of GCPress? I can't even believe you posted this.

I'm pretty sure taking pre-orders is a standard business practice and with Russ supplying insanely good EC material for the better part of the last 40 years..... you have nothing to worry about.

According to Russ Cochran's latest newsletter (from November 30) he says:
"The two new Archives books will arrive at my warehouse around December 15." There could have been delays shipping from Asia, a truck driving them to his warehouse could have had its engine fail, any number of things. That is why he said "around December 15."

There are plenty of shady characters in the industry but Russ is absolutely not one of them. Very disappointing you would doubt him.

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Tato posted:

I'm glad I pre-ordered the new EC archive books on Amazon and didn't send my money directly to Russ Cochran or another site. Every promised release date has come and gone and one of the guys working on the books has stopped posting updates on the Marvel Masterworks board.

I don't doubt that Russ is on the up and up and that the books are eventually coming, but given the shady circumstances that initially killed the EC Archives and Gemstone, they should have waited until they had the books to start selling them.

Latest Diamond report has them in comic stores 1/4. Along with numerous other changes from DC and Marvel. Very shady all these shifting release dates!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

timeandtide posted:

Anyone else check out the recent "Tales of the Batman/Dark Knight" collections? I got Tales of the Batman: Don Newton for Christmas, and it's pretty swank looking, although it doesn't include any extras--still, 355 pages of previously uncollected material is a good deal. I assume the other ones are just as nice?

They are, I've heard bitching about the lack of covers and some of the stories are multi-part but the focus artist did not draw all parts so it can be a bit disjointed. I'm binding my own versions but sorely tempted by these great books just for the art alone!

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann
EC Archives resume Wednesday! I cannot wait!

The Haunt of Fear Volume 1 and The Vault of Horror Volume 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

JackDarko posted:

Is the Parker Martini Edition out of print? I can't buy it at amazon and i'd just like to know before I spend more to get somewhere else.

Buy it on amazon.ca

edit: It is under review, not OOP. Big difference. Wait a week.

wildlele fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 9, 2012