Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Is that Alan Moore DC collection worth getting? Killing Joke aside, I haven't read any of his cape books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Yeah, they called volume 1 of Fractions's IIM an omnibus but it's just an OSHC.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TFAW only wants 75.00 currently for the Simonson Thor Omni. Goddamn, that's a good-rear end price.

:eng101: They're cheaper on Amazon.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Pst...

Diamond had it on sale two weeks ago so everybody has copies lying around.

The Simonson Thor Omnibus does not "lie around." It looms.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've been thinking about getting into Runaways. I figure I'll start at the beginning but I like my books to collect as much material as possible. Is there an omnibus on the horizon or should I just pick up the hardcovers?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Shameless posted:

If the Movie ever materialises then an Omnibus is pretty much a definite. If you're in a rush though I'd go for the HCs

Gracias.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Space_Butler posted:

DC has announced their schedule for the New 52 hardcovers/trades and for some titles, we're going to be waiting up to a year from now. I guess Flashpoint didn't retcon Bob Wayne's inability to figure out marketing collected editions.

Oh look, I only have to wait 9 months to get the only trade that I'm remotely interested in getting (Action Comics).

Never change, DC.

Just kidding, please do.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Inkslinger posted:

Yeah, it seems....big. Are there any other collections out there that size that aren't exploding out of their spines? That's even bigger than my Complete Bone collection...

I've got the Simonson Thor Omnibus and it weighs in at almost 1200 pages. It is too big. I read that some of them are having issues with their binding so I make it a point to be extra careful when reading it.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

:dance: Just got my X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 in the mail today :dance: but sadly, it is a Christmas gift so the gf is going to gift wrap it until Christmas. :(

I know that early X-Men isn't the best but there's just something about those old stories that I love. Plus Kirby. Already eyeing volume 2 and the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol 1 which is sadly selling for like $200 these days.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm loving everything I've read by Hickman and his run on FF has me intrigued. Any word on a Hickman Fantastic Four Omnibus?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

poo poo drat, I got the Ultimate Spider-Man Collection (the Barnes & Noble book that's basically an omnibus) and volumes 4 and 5 of the OSHCs. I wonder how much material this new omnibus is going to cover? Hopefully it'll be the same size so I won't have to keep buying the OSHCs because god drat some of those volumes are pricey. I might just wait to see if they're going to publish a second omnibus.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

krut posted:

That's kinda the problem with massive HCs. I realize that books are meant to be read but I think once I get to a point where I'm buying 1500 page omnibuses, it's more about collecting than consuming.

Not for me. I'm currently reading the Simonson Thor Omnibus and it's a good 1200 or so pages. I want more omnibuses for my shelf but also for the stories. I just got the first X-Men Omnibus too, and I can't wait to get into it. I know that X-Men flopped when it first started up but I just have a soft spot for those old stories. I only wish they would make the omnibuses smell like old comics.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

It's nothing to nerd rage about but it is rather ridiculous and frustrating that they change their spine-dress the way they do. I like a nice, uniform look to my books on my shelf and they gently caress it up when it would be the textbook definition of easy to just keep it the same.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Secret Warriors was "created by" Bendis but that book is all Hickman goodness through and through.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I'm thinking about picking up the new hardcover DCU By Alan Moore that Amazon will have available on March 20. It clocks in at a whopping 464 pages which is a steal at $24. I've only read a little of Moore's work, Watchmen being possibly my favorite comic of all time (no surprise there) but I've never read any of his traditional cape stuff (barring Killing Joke). How is the content? I've heard that the Green Lantern story "Mogo Doesn't Socialize" is great, but is it contained here? I'm not terribly familiar with my DC universe either, so will I be lost? The book contains:

Voodoo #1-4 (I know nothing of this)
Deathblow #1-3 (Is this that Jim Lee 90s book?)
Superman Annual #11
Detective Comics #549-550
Green Lantern #188
Vigilante #17-18
Omega Men #26-27
DC Comics Presents #85
Green Lantern Corps Annual #2
Superman #423
Action Comics #583
Secret Origins #10
Green Lantern Annual #3
Batman Annual #11
Batman The Killing Joke (Already own a copy of this)
Wildstorm Spotlight #11

edit; I am also in the process of picking up the Ultimate Spider-Man trades (the big hardcovers collecting two arcs each) and I know they're out of print and some of them are like $40 or whatever, and yeah it sucks but thems the breaks. However, volume 8 is selling on Amazon for loving $90! What's the big deal with this book?

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 22, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's been out of print for like two years and those are the best format to read USM so of course demand has gone up.

Yes, I realize that it is out of print but I was asking about why folks are asking for $90 when the other volumes are topping out at around $40.

edit; vvv thank you, funtax vvv

Happy Hippo fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 23, 2012

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Today I scored the Amazing Spider-Man Omnibus Vol 1 for $50.

:hellyeah:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Aaaaand Amazon just pushed my Flex Mentallo date back.

This would be hilarious if it weren't so :negative:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

solidrooster posted:

Have you heard anything from DC about a possible fix/reprint? Is it returnable like the DC Universe by Alan Moore HC?

Wait. What is this? I just bought a copy of the Alan Moore book from my LCBS but have not had the time to read through it. What's the matter with it?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

According to Amazon, it's missing The Killing Joke, so probably like, half the reason to get it in the first place. I'm sure there's various other QA issues as well, but that was the major complaint from reading Amazon reviews.

That's no biggie for me since I still own my Killing Joke that I bought way back in the day but it is hosed up that they advertised it as being included. I just flipped through mine and noticed that the table of contents gives page numbers where a story starts but they didn't bother numbering the pages.

DC GET YOUR poo poo TOGETHER

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Glenn Danzig posted:

lulz

Yeah yeah, I know.

The worst thing about this is that the books they recently hosed up were books that people that don't typically read DC books would buy. I'm more of a Marvel guy but Batman owns and Batman Year One owns doubly so and almost all comics readers know this (at least the latter). And Moore is respected by everyone. So when DC fucks up like that it looks really loving bad to guys like me. From the outside looking in I'm seeing a company that has rebooted continuity like three times in five years and cannot figure out how to put out a decent version of a book in the form that they advertised.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

edit; wrong thread

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I've been buying up the Ultimate Spidey OSHCs and they only go up to volume 11 (no Spinal Tap jokes please). Anyone know if they plan on publishing anything in that format past that? Like the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man stuff?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Shameless posted:

Good tiiming! Volume 12 comes out tomorrow I think. Collects 1-14 of the new series.

Yep, I just checked back and found this!

Raaaad.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Shameless posted:

DEATH OF SPIDER-MAN OMNIBUS HC $75

COLLECTING: ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN 15, 150-160; ULTIMATE COMICS AVENGERS VS. NEW ULTIMATES 1-6; ULTIMATE COMICS FALLOUT 1-6

Oh hell and drat yes. I've been slowly picking up the Ultimate Spidey OSHCs and was wondering how they were going to cap the whole thing off. I've got the old Barnes & Noble "Ultimate Spider-Man Collection" (basically the same thing as the new Ultimate Spidey Omnibus vol 1 sans #0) then I have the OSHCs. This'll make for nice omnibus sized bookends for my Ultimate Spidey books :hellyeah:

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I think any hesitation regarding buying the X-Statix omnibus comes from how loving huge the thing is, and not in terms of quality. Everyone I've talked to has had binding problems with the similarly-large Simonson Thor omnibus.

I've read my Simonson Thor omnibus cover to cover and it's still in tip top condition. Just don't flop the thing open on the toilet and it'll be fine.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I picked up an extra set of Ultimate Spiderman Vol 9 and 11 hardcovers at BCC a few weeks ago to flip, but I haven't listed them yet due to laziness. I'll give you first dibs if you want

Also good call on getting the B&N special edition HC, I got mine on eBay and it was very much worth it.

You got plat?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Yep

Thanks but upon thinking about it I have decided that money is tight right now so go on and let somebody else grab them. But thank you for the offer!

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I've had a super lovely week so this will make everything better.

Oh, that's nice.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I cheated. I closed out the register and rang it out on tomorrow's sales. I never do this but I was in a rotten mood and wanted to sit and read this tonight.

Get off of the forums and read that poo poo, son.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

There are so many omnibuses that need to be reprinted. I'm just not going to hand over $200+ for PunisherMAX or Fantastic Four volume 2, sorry.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

How is the binding on the Invisibles omnibus?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

I got my AvsX from Amazon a few days ago and it seems fine to me. No damage either.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

It's ridiculous. The Bendis Daredevils are exactly the same. You'd think it'd behoove Marvel to do some reprints, since there's clearly a demand. I guess the printing costs are too prohibitive?

I really wish they would because I'd love to get my hands on a Punisher MAX omnibus or a Fantastic Four volume 2 but I cannot justify paying like $300 or whatever. Seems like omnibuses are a pretty niche market though. People who buy comics in general are a niche audience, people that buy collections of comics are a smaller niche and people that buy gigantic collections of comics are even more so.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Actually people who buy collections of comics are larger than the people who buy comics. It's been that way for about ten years now.

I did not know that. Also, has DC heard about this? Because their behavior indicates that they have not.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

Anyone know if the Miles Morales USM will get the same OSHC treatment Parker did?

I would imagine so. Sales are holding up relative to the Parker years, right?

In other news, I only lack USM OSHC vols 9 and 10 until my USM life of Peter Parker collection is complete! (I bought volumes 11 and 12 and the Death of Spider-Man Omnibus already so that when I get 9 and 10 I have a fuckload of awesome Ultimate Spidey action to tear through) If I wasn't the Brokest Goon I'd already have them.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Nodoze posted:

I have an extra Volume 9 HC still in the shrink wrap if you are interested.

Money is super tight right now (I'm getting married in April and am saving up for the honeymoon). But thanks!

edit; Just out of curiosity how much are you asking?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Nodoze posted:

Can you do 20 shipped?

YES.

PM me or shoot me an email at fancy.puddings.aplenty@gmail.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

Didn't a Spawn collection come out a couple of years ago that cost over $1000 and had something for all five senses, ie, a scratch and sniff component, sounds like those annoying greeting cards, etc? I thought I saw an article about it about two years ago and now google yields nothing.