Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Senor Candle posted:

Really? There are like three tiny trades. I don't see how this warrants more than an OSHC.

I think it's one of those cases where they'll call it an Omnibus just because it collects the entire run and not because of the size of the book (like Devil Dinosaur, Eternals and Aaron's Ghost Rider.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

They certainly seem to be going all out with the Epic Collections as well.

Surprised they're hitting all the volume 1's so early into the life of the range though as that's the stuff that's been collected plenty of times already. I'd rather they concentrated on the stuff that hasn't been reprinted but whatyagonnado?

I believe that they are doing the vol 1s at two a month instead of one, so that's not too bad, they're not taking up too many release slots.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's so unlikely because Hasbro is in bed with IDW. Chris Ryall has been trying to sort out the ROM rights for years so they can pursue a new series and reprint the originals.

Surely that's never gonna happen given the amount of stuff in the Rom comics that Marvel still owns, like the Dire Wraiths and all that. It's not like it was as segregated as stuff like G.I. Joe or Transformers, it was pretty much full on Marvel Universe

TheManWithNoName posted:

I think the Vol. 1's are being released to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Marvel.

Ah, that makes sense now

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

I'm so glad the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers is getting an OSHC/Omni edition. Any idea when it's going to drop?

The catalogue says December

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Don't know if this is old news but if you're in the UK there's one of those overstock-type bookshops called either "Book World Bargains" or "Bargain World Books" (can't remember which) and they do a decent range of overstocked Marvel trades and HCs.

Went into the Blackpool one yesterday and got the Longshot and Death of Jean DeWolff trades for £4.99 each, Dr. Strange Season One HC for £5.99 and the complete Wolverine: The Best There Is trade for £6.99. Quite a decent range and some newer stuff too (the Ellis Avengers OGN, first Savage Wolverine HC, First Nova HC, etc.). Also saw the Powers OSHC's 4 and 5 for £7.99 each and the Wolverine Admantium Edition HC for £80.

Quite rare for us get stuff like this in the UK so thought I'd give it a mention.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress.

The Secret Wars box set is carrying a $500 price tag.

Just seen this and.... Hahahaha, holy crap. That's a lot of money for a lot of crappy comics. I have to admit I bought the SW2 omnibus but that was purely nostalgia as I used to get the weekly SW comic that came out here in the UK.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought I'd pre-order the George Pérez Wonder Woman omnibus. Hopefully they will have subsequent instalments collecting the issues he wrote but didn't draw as well.

Have you met DC comics collected edition department?

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just looking at some of the newly announced collections that you can pre-order on Amazon. I'm curious about what the "Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Classic Omnibus" will include.

The early StarLord stories, the Mantlo / Mignola Rocket Racoon mini-series, Groots early monster-mag appearances, maybe Warlocks solo stuff....

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=2156669

Some DC collected editions for fall 2015.

Snyder's Swamp Thing and Lemire's Green Arrow get the deluxe treatment, same with Multiversity.

Absolute GL/GA feels overdue so good to see that.

For people like me who like older stuff, the Phantom Stranger, Wild Dog and Dr. Fate trades are a nice surprise.

Worrying lack of any volume 3s for Ostrander's Spectre and Martian Manhunter. Hope they're not done with.

What is odd it that Ostrander's Suicide Squad vol 1 is being reprinted. Please let this mean we're going to get vol 2 (and beyond)

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Starsnostars posted:

Lemire's Green Arrow was good right? If so I'll pick that up, the art always looked so great.

Everyone here seems to rave about it. I tried it but found the art made it unreadable to me. To my eyes Sorrentino's work is just plain ugly. Looks like he's just photocopied photos on a high contrast setting.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was just looking at some of the newly announced collections that you can pre-order on Amazon. I'm curious about what the "Guardians of the Galaxy Solo Classic Omnibus" will include.

Going back a bit but it looks like:

quote:

COLLECTING: INCREDIBLE HULK (1968) 271, ANNUAL 5; IRON MAN (1968) 55; CAPTAIN MARVEL (1968) 27-33,
43-44, 58-62; STRANGE TALES (1951) 180-181; WARLOCK (1972) 9-11, 15; AVENGERS (1963) 219-220, ANNUAL
7; MARVEL TWO-IN-ONE ANNUAL 2; MARVEL PREVIEW 11; MARVEL SPOTLIGHT (1979) 1-2, 6-7; MARVEL
PREMIERE 61; ROCKET RACCOON (1985) 1-4; STAR-LORD SPECIAL EDITION & MORE!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the deal with DC's trades department, anyway? Why do they seem to be so far behind Marvel? Sure, there's some pretty significant royalty issues (particularly on books written in the 1990s) but doesn't that affect Marvel as well?

The royalties issue covers pretty much most of the Bronze age. That's why you tend to see more collections focussed on a single artist or writer (or artist writer team) rather than long consecutive runs. It's just easier to re-negotiate terms with one writer and one artist than it is a whole bunch. It gets even easier if they're still getting work at DC. Or, you know, dead.

Doesn't affect Marvel at all as their contracts would have been different. DC were particularly generous, not predicting how widespread collected editions would become. Of course, DC can still opt to push a book out at the originally agreed royalty rates but in most cases, given how low sales are for these sort of books, it just isn't financially worth it for them to do so.

To be quite honest though, I'm happy with the quality and quantity of 70s-90s collections DC are putting out. They account for about 80% of my comic buying and I feel pretty well served.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 21, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right, I see. I suppose that's why the third New Teen Titans omnibus turned into a George Pérez artist showcase, then? The two series I'm probably most interested in (Post-Crisis Legion of Super-Heroes through to Zero Hour, and the Flash by Mark Waid) likely haven't happened / are unlikely to happen for reasons other than royalties (respectively, Paul Levitz using his pull as publisher to keep any Legion collections from 1979 onwards from coming out, and Mark Waid being persona non grata at DC right now).

Oh yeah, there's always the petty poo poo that stops collections too. Would love to see big extended runs of 80s Legion (looks like The Darkness Saga and The Curse books are all we're getting) and Waid Flash would be a no-brainer for any sane-minded company.

I think the plan for the Titans Omnibuses were always "by Wolfman and Perez" but it could easily be the royalty stuff that forced their hand on that a little bit. Now they're coming out as trades it'll be interesting to see if they do the non-Perez issues.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Suicide Squal vol 2 showing up as an amazon fish for early next year. Maybe this time it'll be real!!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suicide-Squad-Vol-Nightshade-Odssey/dp/1401258336/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433333957&sr=1-3

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

gfanikf posted:

I saw a solicitation for a $24.99 Hawkeye vs Deadpool book coming out on June 17th according to my comic shopper app I have on Android (but I can't find references to it anywhere else). It refers to it as a Fabian N Red Signature Edition. Can anyone find a reference to this release cause I would much prefer a hardcover release than a trade? I just want to make sure what I want..you know actually exists.

https://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C122382.html

Is it this? Red, Fabian, etc.

Just a signed DF thingy. Not a collection or anything.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Fucks Sake DC! Grell Green Arrow vol 1: covers before the issues. Vol 2: covers before the issues. Vol 3: covers all at the back. Bastards.

Also, not seen it mentioned but Dark Horse are doing Library Editions for The Goon. Which is nice.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Marvel's never done a fourth omnibus....

Brubaker's Captain America run has had five omnibuses. Unless you're just talking about classic stuff

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

Does anyone know when DC and Marvel will be doing their next big release schedule announcements? It'll be for the first few months of 2016, so would September be about right, or would it be later?

Latest Hachette catalogue for Marvel is here

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/TW/pdfs/MARVEL-CATALOG-JAN-APR2016.pdf

Lot of reprint omnibuses (Miller DD, Elektra, etc) and a Random-poo poo-from-John-Byrne omnibus too.

DC stuff you tend to see as Amazon fishes before they announce anything. The Masterworks Messageboard is always on top of that sort of thing

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Street Soldier posted:

Are Omnibuses and Absolutes actually readable? Normally I'd rather buy a hardcover set but most things that are released in Omnibus format are impossible to get separately in hardcover. Is there like a cutoff for a readable amount of pages, like Punisher Max at ~550 is okay but The Invisibles and New X-Men aren't worth the effort at over a 1000 pages?

I've given up on omnibuses completely. The thicker ones are readable (if cumbersome) if you're sat down but I like to read in bed and they're not good at all for that. Also, as mentioned, the paper quality has got worse and the extra $25 they're asking for them now makes them a huge no-no.

Absolutes are fine though and I'll still occasionally get those when there's something worthy of the format.

Dark horse Library Editions are still the best quality and best value out there though.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

DC list for early 2016 is here:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/CatalogOverview.aspx?catalogID=3672447

Gotham Central getting an omnibus and a vol 3 of Ostrander Sucide Squad listed.

Lot of decent older trades there for me, David / Frank Supergirl, Black Lightning, Ennis' Demon....

Downside... it looks like Ostrander's Spectre is done with, no new volumes listed. :-(

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

That "Immortal Doctor Fate" one looks interesting. I've not read any of it but the names attached (Pasko, Giffen, Simonson) have my attention. Looks like they're also doing a TPB collecting the concluding arc in Pérez's WW run - hopefully this bodes well for the prospect of everything between it and the omnibus being filled in.

Yeah, that's a definite for me. Love Dr Fate, love Giffen, love Simonson, it's a no-brainer. Is that WW book the War of the Gods one... that was an event book and it was not a very good one if memory serves.

Ror posted:

drat, is the paper thing is across the board or just on the thicker ones? It's what stopped me from getting the Hickman omnis but they're also huge and expensive.

Not sure. To be honest, I'm not the best person to reply. I'd already given up on omnibuses by the time the change happened. I was going to pick up the fourth Brubaker Cap one but then saw a fair few complaints about the paper quality so decided to skip it.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Aug 7, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

DC, meanwhile, managed to screw up the New Teen Titans omnibus collections so much they've had to restart it as a TPB series.

I'm not convinced that they won't screw up the trades too.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yessssssssss!

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Do both the first Brubaker Captain America omnibus and the Death of Captain America omnibus have Captain America #25 in them?

At work at the moment so can't say 100% but I'm pretty sure it is in both of them, yeah.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is there anything (interesting) in the Multiversity HC that wasn't in the singles?

Off the top of my head, not really. There's a cover gallery at the back and the usual sketches and whatnot, which are nice to have but by no means essential. There's nothing from the Pax Americana Directors Cut issue either. One nice touch though is that the reverse of the dus-tjacket is the map of the multiverse

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Pinched from the Masterworks Messageboard... a new listing has appeared for Starman Omnibus vol 3 PB on Amazon.com. showing a possible Jul 2016 release date

edit: Couple of other things to mention from the Amazon fish is a second Perez WW omnibus and Preacher getting the Absolute treatment.

Shameless fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 2, 2015

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Quick question... Does anyone know if the most recent edition of the Suicide Squad vol 1 trade is on shiny or matte paper? I've got the one from a few years ago and it's matte but vol 2 is shiny. Little thing but it's doing my head in.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Yes, It is the Ostrander stuff, thanks. Bloody hell DC... Gonna be strong and not double dip on it

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Amazon fish shows a long overdue Flash by Mark Waid vol 1

http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Mark-Waid-Book-One/dp/1401267351/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454424000&sr=8-1&keywords=waid+flash

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Does anyone know if the Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Vol. 2 is getting a reprint? I've delayed getting it and the prices are starting to go up. :emo: I just noticed this listing on Amazon though saying that it's being released on May 17th (although it also has the image and description of the Vol. 1 omni).

The January solicits list a reprint of Omnibus vol 1 coming out in May so I expect the Amazon listing reflects that and they've just got the title wrong.

I also looked at the upcoming releases on the Masterworks site and there's no mention of a vol 2 reprint and those guys are pretty on the ball with knowing what's coming.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod, was it you asking about X-Men omnibus vol 2? Latest round of fishing on Amazon seems to have a reprint pencilled in for October

http://www.amazon.com/Uncanny-X-Men...x-men+omnibus+2

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Awesome, thanks! Hopefully they're correct about it. It seems a bit of a long way off for it to have been solicited, although if I recall there was a list of HCs expected in the first half of 2016 sometime late last year? So maybe the list for the second half was published.

It's not been solicited as yet. These fishes tend to come from distributors who supply regular book shops as opposed to comic shops and need more lead time to order (I assume). Of course, plenty of these never see the light of day but, to be honest, I think a reprint of X-Men vol 2 is a bit of a no-brainer.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Bleeding Cool are reporting that the "finally coming out" Starman Omnibus vol. 3 tpb isn't. It's been canned again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's too bad. Is it just lack of demand?

Yeah, I assume so. They've canned plenty of stuff in the past because of low pre-order numbers.

2016 and still angry they canned Night Force twice