Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

per a post on pistol-forum, they'll be selling milled slides in a few weeks. that sounds like a good compromise for those of us who already have LTTs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Yeah, I was hoping they would be selling them as an assembly: I only have one 92 slide with dovetailed sights and its a brigadier that I would hesitate to have permanently modified like that. Guess I'll wait and see.

I was looking around at options this morning, and everywhere is sold out of M9A1 and Vertec slides, except Brownells who are charging the price of an entire gun ($583) for some reason. Now I regret not jumping on those 92FS Vertec slides last year, but tbf, I thought, "what am I ever going to use this for?"

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 22, 2020

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

poopgiggle posted:

per a post on pistol-forum, they'll be selling milled slides in a few weeks. that sounds like a good compromise for those of us who already have LTTs.

Aw crap. Likely $600 (hopefully not more). I'll probably buy one.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

96D Centurion for $360 BIN. Decent price and the Centurions seem to be getting more expensive and coming up less often.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876316730

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Final Blog Entry posted:

96D Centurion for $360 BIN. Decent price and the Centurions seem to be getting more expensive and coming up less often.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/876316730

Oh my god, somebody get on that so I don't have to think about it.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

And if a Nyto get a attitude
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Just passed 4000 rounds on my LTT Px4 Compact Carry today in class. Very happy with the journey, and just feeling yet again like there are many new things to learn with it.

Quickshanks
Oct 3, 2011

So damned good.

Are these still regarded as special at all anymore? I guess they don't quite command the $300+ ebay massacres they used to stir up now that they aren't the only ultra thin 92 grips on the market, but I dunno maybe they're still of interest to anyone who likes thin grips on a 92 but wants to try a slightly different alternative.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Trausch-Grips-for-Beretta-92-96/224162108603

I probably really should have sold mine way back then, now that I think about it.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I'd bid on those if they don't go crazy, but purely from a collector standpoint. Like you said with VZ and LOK offering nice thin G10 grips now I'd imagine the Trausch tax isn't what it used to be.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274308761033

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Yoink. I still regret missing those mother of pearl Godzilla 1911 grips.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

HOLYFUCKINGSHIT

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/411559501

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

gently caress yeah

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Is this a giant discount or just an availability surprise?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Availability. Beretta hasn't made new D models in a long time and even then they were mainly for LE contracts and not really sold commercially. On top of that it's on the new 92x frame and the slide is a D Vertec so it's got the dovetailed front sight. It's an awesome set of features that I'd never have imagined to see Beretta release out of nowhere. It would also be a great base for a frame safety conversion.

Nomyth
Mar 15, 2013

Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot
Pop it like it's hot

Neat! I've recently gotten both a friend and a family member back into shooting and got them hooked on what a really nice hammer-fire is like, so cool shipments like these are nice

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Beretta rep on pistol-forum says it’s a small number of guns for DAO nerds. Which is honestly cool as hell that they’re doing it.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

If it was a compact or centurion I'd have ordered one so loving fast. I'm still tempted as it is, but I don't really have gun money right now and I already have a 96D Vertec which is drat near the same gun in 40 and I could drop a 9mm barrel in there if I were so inclined.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

The California pistol roster is the only thing keeping my wallet safe right now. I swapped all the internals from a 96D into a 96G-SD because I despaired of ever finding a 92D Vertec, much less one with a dustcover rail.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

The California pistol roster is the only thing keeping my wallet safe right now. I swapped all the internals from a 96D into a 96G-SD because I despaired of ever finding a 92D Vertec, much less one with a dustcover rail.

You may be interested in this

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

What. Those have been OOS forever. I think I had one backordered but canceled it.

Well, guess I'm building a 9mm top end for my 96D. Question is, am I insane enough to get it milled for a red dot?

E: Really, I don't know why I'm bothering, since 9mm is loving impossible to find right now.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 4, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

am I insane enough to get it milled for a red dot?

poo poo, you're on to something there. If I understand Langdon's slide milling right, it already involves replacing all the parts you would need to buy to complete a stripped slide. drat it, I may need to order one of those slides

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

I think those are compete slides sans barrel, but since there are no pictures, who knows?

E: it shows OOS now. Maybe they only had a few?

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 4, 2020

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Based on the Q&A they're stripped. Shows OOS now, did you get one ordered?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Got an M1951 in the mail today.

It's in great shape, just a few spots of old hardened grease that I'll clean up tomorrow.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

I emailed them and Langdon Tactical said they can't do their slide milling on my 96D Vertec slide because of the different firing pin in a D. This also rules out those 92DXRs that just popped up

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Huh, didn't know the D slides had a different firing pin.

Oh well. Might just save up my pennies for their California Special package instead. Honestly it's drat decent of them to realize that the Langdon Elites aren't available in California and offering an alternative that works with our laws.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Well I just picked this up from my ffl

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Very cool. How's the trigger? Would be interested in one but never shot a D variant, and doubt I could rent one.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

If it's the same as other D guns, it's a looooooong but smooth pull, with a slight increase in weight before the break, when the firing pin block starts to lift out of the way. A gunsmith can clean up the end of the pull, but the reset is also very long compared to a striker trigger. It's almost revolver-like.

The long reset is the only part I don't like of the D trigger, and it's why I prefer HK's LEM or Walter's AS trigger. If you want to run it at speed, you have to train to make sure you're letting your trigger finger all the way out, almost tapping the inside forward edge of the trigger guard with your nail.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Trigger is not quite as smooth and has a little more stacking than I'm used to in my other D Berettas, but this is the only NIB D I've ever handled. I expect that will improve with dry fire and shooting. I may try a 14# hammer spring and a little minor stoning of contact surfaces to help that along. A good Beretta D trigger is getting close to a good DA revolver trigger IMO.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

how's the build quality?

some folks on p-f were complaining about canted front sights and other assorted rough edges.

it's what's kept me from buying one.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

Saw those posts too, and it seems like that kind of stuff has unfortunately been more common since the move to Gallatin. Looked it over pretty good and I'm not seeing any blemishes or QC issues on this one thankfully.

My only "complaints" are just features that the other 92x models come with and I can drop in myself if I want. The new vertec grips, 4.7" barrel instead of 4.9", metal trigger and guide rod, and extended mag release.

The Wilson u-notch rear and AmeriGlo orange outline tritium front sights are awesome and make up for the other stuff a lot though.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Maybe this has been asked here already but with all the Sigs coming into military service are there any batches of M9s coming into the surplus market?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Not yet AFAIK, the impression I get from general military procurement is it's going to take a decade or so for the Sigs to permeate the inventory and after that the Berettas will sit in a warehouse for 20 years before either getting shoved in a furnace or sent to the CMP if we're lucky.

It sounds like a lot of the Berettas in service are in pretty bad disrepair too though, so I don't know if I'd want one. At least several people on the forums have mentioned the Berettas they used having constant malfunctions.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It sounds like a lot of the Berettas in service are in pretty bad disrepair too though, so I don't know if I'd want one. At least several people on the forums have mentioned the Berettas they used having constant malfunctions.

I would still adopt one.

I'm also a Beretta armorer with a bunch of random spare parts lying around.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Like most things in the military, it depends a lot on the gun. Most people remember the guns from CATM, which IIRC are housed in an armory on the range and run through multiple classes a week, with a spritz of CLP being their primary maintenance, and serviceability criteria being "goes bang when you pull the trigger, doesn't keyhole."

It's been years since I had to check a gun out of the armory, but I recall that the actual service guns were in distinctly better shape, at least from visual inspection. But again, it varies: you might get an Iraq war vintage gun that was passed from troop to troop and abused, or one that sat on an officer's hip in a TOC.

I'd agree with 22 that they're unlikely to be released soon, and my willingness to pick one up would depend on price. A lightly used commercial 92FS or M9 was $500 in pre-COVID times, and $1100 or so will get you the nicest 92 money can buy. Anything close to that would be a lot to pay for official military stamps on a gun that will probably never have the cachet of the 1911.

E: FWIW, I never had a stoppage even in a range gun. The early Checkmate contract magazines were apparently dogshit, but the only stoppage I've ever had in a 92 that I could attribute to the gun was a FTF in a 40 Cal gun using an aftermarket extended magazine.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 10, 2020

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

I bought a 92a1 new in box and it's lovely. Put a few thousand rounds through it without any issues.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Anyone know if the 92A1, Vertec, M9A3, and 92X all use the same size of dovetail for sights, or are there different formats?

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

M9A3 and 92x are just Vertec slides, so those three should all be the same. Not sure about the 92A1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Anyone know if the 92A1, Vertec, M9A3, and 92X all use the same size of dovetail for sights, or are there different formats?

They're all the same slide so they should be the same sights. The 92A1 is different, see my future post.

e;fb

poopgiggle fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 12, 2020