Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Packard Goose posted:

The HK Mags? I'm positive any magazine is less than an HK mag, even one made of solid gold

I forgot for a fleeting moment that the P2K was an HK product. drat you Beretta thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Packard Goose posted:

What department of the gub'ment? The gun department? I'm looking to get the gently caress out of the US Military, and a job would be cool.

There are two current hiring announcements, both closing on 9/15. One is for southeastern states and one is for southwestern states.

Gray Stormy posted:

Those look an awful lot like my Steyr magazines. I wonder if they would work as a cheaper alternative to Steyr mags?

It's already been addressed, but yeah. No on the compatibility, and no on the price.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

I'm pretty stoked about the BU9 Nano. IR35's mention of it was the first I had heard about it. I have to wait a month and a half before it ships and I can handle it, but I was really underwhelmed by Butch's LC9 (pop out LCI's bother me like slide safeties and DA/SA bother Gtab) . I'm hoping this won't suck as much and I'll have a teeny, tiny Beretta to call (and carry) my own. I had a PX4sc, and that was way too bulky to be called a "sub-compact", IMO. I guess I'm a single stack guy.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Packard Goose posted:

The HK Mags? I'm positive any magazine is less than an HK mag, even one made of solid gold

USPc/P2K mags are still cheaper than PPS mags.

nnnnghhhhgnnngh
Apr 6, 2009

Berettas are okay, I guess.

my bullets won't fit! and that's the only thing I dislike about it.

If it were in .22 it would be perfection, but oh well, it was free.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

nnnnghhhhgnnngh posted:

If it were in .22 it would be perfection, but oh well, it was free.

You suck.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Two things:

First, after the pictures posted early in this thread, I had to go to the gun store and handle an 85...I loved it. I've never wanted a .380 so hard in my life before. It felt so small and comfy, yet I had no trouble getting a great grip on it. I must have one, but why are they so much more expensive new than a 92

which brought me to my second point. As I left, I began to lament the fact that beretta didn't make a single stack 9mm. Than the last few posts blew my mind. How rare is rare, and do they feel as great as I think they would?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

IuniusBrutus posted:

How rare is rare, and do they feel as great as I think they would?

They're pretty rare. You can occasionally find a normal DA/SA model on gunbroker or elsewhere. They are sexy as hell and not much bigger than the 85. Though my memory of the Type M is a little hazy, I think the 85 wins out for overall feel. I think the 85 just has a better balance.

Plus, no slide safety.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

ffffffffffffffff i would be fine with a da/SA, but I bet they are still expensive as hell when they show up.

Not that it matters, since an 85 has to come first. Apparently I can get used ones for a hair above $300 if I look. It's like a vz82 without a fat rear end.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Regular Type M for $775: http://www.gunsamerica.com/920562756/Guns/Pistols/Beretta-Pistols/Model-92-series/Beretta_92_FS_Compact_RARE_type_.htm

One for $700: http://www.armslist.com/posts/49524/fort-collins-colorado-handguns-for-sale-beretta-92-sb-compact-type-m-9mm-with-extras

An old SB Type M for $550: http://www.gunsamerica.com/920474339/Guns-For-Sale/Gun-Auctions/Pistols/Beretta-Pistols/Model-92-series/Beretta_92SB_Comp_Type_M.htm

Also for IR35, I know there are some Centurion slide Type Ms kicking around.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I came home with a thing today.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Lipstick Apathy

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I came home with a thing today.

How is it? I didn't even know Beretta was getting into the -x4 series for shotguns. Their site says it's for home defense? Does it have a built in speaker for shotgunracking.mp4?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Eat This Glob posted:

How is it? I didn't even know Beretta was getting into the -x4 series for shotguns. Their site says it's for home defense? Does it have a built in speaker for shotgunracking.mp4?

Just from the limited messing around with it I did, fit and finish are awesome, it's really lightweight, the trigger is meh but passable, the stock is nice and short (think youth length), 5+1 is adequate for HD and range blasting but not really for 3 gun and the like, interchangeable chokes make me happy, and the stock and forend have little rubber nubblies kinda like a hogue stock. Haven't gotten to fire it yet.

Oh and that little bump at the back of the lifter is a BENELLI BUTTON

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Is it possible to put an extension tube on the mag, or is it like the 1201 where the tube can't be altered?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

infrared35 posted:

Is it possible to put an extension tube on the mag, or is it like the 1201 where the tube can't be altered?

I don't know if anyone makes an extension, but a +1 would definitely not be a bad thing. The end of the mag tube is threaded though, so I imagine extensions are possible.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't know if anyone makes an extension, but a +1 would definitely not be a bad thing. The end of the mag tube is threaded though, so I imagine extensions are possible.

It may take the same extension as the Benelli Nova, which is apparently threaded the same as the Beretta Extrema.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

Wait, Beretta makes pistols?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tell us more. And by that, I mean, "come to NH so I can break some clays with that thing."

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

It is an AL 391 Urika 2 Sport Gold Bianco.

I just bought it recently after deciding that sporting clays is more fun to network in than golf. I have been shooting a lot of trap and 5 stand. I am still getting used to it after shooting an 870 and a Winchester 140 for awhile, but it shoots like a dream. I can shoot all day without shoulder bruises and I don't have the recoil compensator on it. It sits a little low for me so I am having the stock modded and the barrel ported. Otherwise it is perfect. I love this gun.

I looked at a lot of shotguns and decided to buy something the best gun I could that was a reasonable price. It is nothing compared to our Australian trap champ's, but it has been great for me and I know I won't have to replace it any time soon.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I forgot I took this picture. I think it's an interesting comparison.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

infrared35 posted:

It may take the same extension as the Benelli Nova, which is apparently threaded the same as the Beretta Extrema.

Further browsing of the web hints that Benelli extensions will fit on the Tx4

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I don't own any Berettas myself but my dad has a few.

He used the 92F as a duty gun for probably 10 years until his department started issuing service guns to Specials.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Maybe this world is another planet's hell...

That looks like an M9 to me. Straight dust jacket and a regular shaped back strap (continuous curve approaching beavertail - i.e. no "cut out" like the 92FS has)

Edit: How to tell the difference between an M9 and 92FS

1) M9 has a metal guide rod / 92FS is plastic
2) M9 has straight dust jacket / 92FS has a very slight curvature
3) Back strap is continuous for a M9 / 92FS has a more "curved" back strap for a higher grip
4) M9 has a two post style sight system / 92FS has a three dot system

Double Edit: I learned something new today. And I made myself look like a moron.

Chemystery fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 12, 2011

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Old frames have a straight dust cover.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

Well it's not a 92FS just a 92F so I guess it is close to an M9. I'm not completely sure about all the different models. It's fairly old, my dad bought it in 1986.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

infrared35 posted:

I forgot I took this picture. I think it's an interesting comparison.

Absolut_V
Oct 8, 2003

Superman That Jones!

I have been thinking about replacing my 24/7 Pro with a 96 for a while now. This thread may have made up my mind.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Naramyth posted:

Five shots of Efficacy 25 vs. nine shots of Efficacy 18.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Absolut_V posted:

I have been thinking about replacing my 24/7 Pro with a 96 for a while now. This thread may have made up my mind.

The 96 is a great pistol, and after a few thousand rounds through mine, the internals are still great looking. It has some holster wear now, but that is it.

Are you thinking of getting an original 96 like mine in the O.P. or a new A1?

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

The M9A1 is literally just a 92FS with a rail in the frame, right? All internal parts are interchangeable?

My father continues to sit on my PX4 rather than ship it to me, and my guess at this point is that I won't see it until next year. Could finally be time to get the Beretta 92 I didn't buy the first time around.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

The M9A1 is literally just a 92FS with a rail in the frame, right? All internal parts are interchangeable?

Basically. They also added some checkering to the front and back of the grip + did something to magazine bevel.

Magazines are PVD coated for increased reliability in sand blah blah blah its basically the same gun and all internals have not changed.

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

I really don't know why the M92FS doesn't get enough love online. I relaly like my M9...yeah i have a real military M9 but its virtually the same gun and i find it very fun to shoot and the slide feels like its on ballbarings or something. Even though the grip is large and I have small hands, i don't find it uncomfortable because of the curve. I don't think anything could get me to sell my M9 and i've had it for 6 years.

The Beretta M34/35 is a really nicely designed little pistol. Had an M35 in the store last year..kind of regret letting it go honestly.

Don't forget the M951 either. Neat little fullsized single stack SAO 9mm.

Century has had a few different models of M84 in for a while now if anyone was looking for one.

Finally, Benellis are amazing shotguns and the Beretta clones are just about as cool, but drat do i like real Benelli shotguns.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Don't forget the M951R - 10 rounds, a wooden handle and a fire-rate of 1000 rounds per / minute.

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

Operating Rod posted:

My father continues to sit on my PX4 rather than ship it to me, and my guess at this point is that I won't see it until next year. Could finally be time to get the Beretta 92 I didn't buy the first time around.

You might check out the 92A1...no PVD on the mags, but they're 17rd instead of the 15rd that come with the M9A1...couple other small differences too but I can't recall what they are

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

92A1 is actually a bit different than the M9A1, the 92A1 has almost all the changes of the 90-Two except it has the styling of the classic 92.

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

I stand (semi) corrected then...92A1 does have a removable front sight which would be pretty crucial to me at least

Kennebago
Nov 12, 2007

van de schande is bevrijd
hij die met walkuren rijd

SixthFloorFreak posted:

I stand (semi) corrected then...92A1 does have a removable front sight which would be pretty crucial to me at least
This is probably a pretty retarded question, but why would removable sights be a huge plus?

I fondled a 92A1 and liked it, but I never thought about replacing the sights on any of my handguns save a Mark III. Honestly, my initial thought was that the magwell bevel in the M9A1 would be niftier and that the flatter trigger guard looked more Beretta-ish.

Chemystery
Sep 11, 2011

Operating Rod posted:

This is probably a pretty retarded question, but why would removable sights be a huge plus?

Instead of paying someone $160 to install Trijicon night sights, you would do it yourself. Honestly, I have really grown attached to the lines of a classic 92FS and have been toying with picking up an Inox Italian model before they discontinue it.

The new features don't really hurt the pistol. If anything, they bring it into the 21st century. Personally, the M9/92FS was never a combat handgun in my opinion.

SixthFloorFreak
Jun 18, 2005

Operating Rod posted:

I fondled a 92A1 and liked it, but I never thought about replacing the sights on any of my handguns save a Mark III. Honestly, my initial thought was that the magwell bevel in the M9A1 would be niftier and that the flatter trigger guard looked more Beretta-ish.

You'll notice I added the "to me" part when I made the statement about the removable sights. My eyes aren't built for 3 dot sights at all, but a 92 with a fiber optic front and plain serrated rear sounds pretty appealing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mishaco
May 4, 2005

Just curious and not exactly disagreeing with you; but why doesn't the M9 make a particularly good combat pistol? It passed all the indurance trials; in fact it passed the original XM9 trials and the XM10 trials and even passed the retrials which lead to the M92F to M92FS upgrade. Yes it did have a critical fault but that was corrected early on and seems to have done the job. Furthermore, honestly, pistols are not major players on most battlefields today.